what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I "turned the corner" on the back pain yesterday -- that is, I woke up and it was noticeably better. Piano practicing is problematic.

The bruise in the thigh is going to take much longer (now 11 days post-injury). It improves about 2% a day. Luckily it doesn't hurt when I don't move it, so I sleep well, but if I bend it after it's been still, it releases a tremendous amount of ache juice for about a minute. Whoa!

I "turned the corner" on the back pain yesterday -- that is, I woke up and it was noticeably better. Piano practicing is problematic.

The bruise in the thigh is going to take much longer (now 11 days post-injury). It improves about 2% a day. Luckily it doesn't hurt when I don't move it, so I sleep well, but if I bend it after it's been still, it releases a tremendous amount of ache juice for about a minute. Whoa!

Reading your current posts makes the small ache from my minor ham string injury disappear. Funny how that works. Once I got the hamstring injury, the pain from the arm injury went away.
TAl, just don't move (too much). Soon you will be up an at em.

Had an 8 AM dentist appointment only to get the news that I need yet another crown. Came out to find my battery flat (parking lights left on) and paid $55 for tow service to do a 15 second jump. :(
Note to self:
I'm gonna toss in some jumper cables, too.
Just how long did the dentist take? If your parking lights can kill the battery that quickly then you might need a new battery too...

There's this new thing called an [Dr. Evil air quotes] "ice tray." Very dependable.
True.

And now that "she who never refills an ice tray" has flown the nest, we can resell Fridgezilla in favor of a 20 cu ft EnergyStar over/under model. 25 cu ft is way more than we need and Craigslist appears to be having a sale on the smaller ones.

Fridgezilla was one of our most epic Craigslist purchases. The seller should pay $100 extra just to hear the [-]gossip[/-] provenance.

I'm glad your bruises are healing. I'd have a tough time coming back from a crash that severe...

Last edited:
Just how long did the dentist take? If your parking lights can kill the battery that quickly then you might need a new battery too.............

It took 90 minutes - the hygienist was chatty. But even so, it was so flat it wouldn't allow my traction battery to charge my 12v battery (it is a hybrid). The voltage was down to 7.2 volts. I may end up buying a battery soon. :(

It took 90 minutes - the hygienist was chatty. But even so, it was so flat it wouldn't allow my traction battery to charge my 12v battery (it is a hybrid). The voltage was down to 7.2 volts. I may end up buying a battery soon. :(

Prius? If so recommend an Optima yellow top battery. A hybrid is a computer on wheels and if the 12v is sub-par the car isn't happy.

Made a guy's life miserable for a few hours (I took his deposition). Came home and did a brake job on the young wife's car.

Ended my work week at 1:00PM and then went to get a haircut. I then came home and did yard work for the rest of the afternoon. Did laundry this evening.

Prius? If so recommend an Optima yellow top battery. A hybrid is a computer on wheels and if the 12v is sub-par the car isn't happy.
If you can kill it with parking lights in 90 minutes (except maybe in Nodak's neighborhood in January) then you've possibly reversed one of the cells in that 12v battery, and while you've managed to beat it back into submission for now the battery is just not going to hold a charge for a meaningful length of time anymore. Even worse you're making all the computers run on startup voltage that may or may not be in their desired range.

Considering the hassle of changing a Prius battery, I'd highly recommend the Optima. The nice thing about a hybrid 12v battery swap is that you may be able to jumper the hybrid to another car's 12v battery (from its jumper terminals) while you're swapping out the hybrid's 12v battery. Then your radio (and your ECUs) don't have to be reset.

I'm hoping that I never have to change our Prius battery again, and the Optima makes that nearly a certainty. I don't know if there's an Optima (or its equivalent) for other hybrids.

Flew to my new location and took possession of my condo. Had a daybed delivered for spare bedroom and this enables me to sleep there for this visit. (I will be coming and going a few times). Shopped for some basic items, connected with friends, met building manager. It is a beautiful evening and the view from my new home is spectacular. I think this will be a good move!

Flew to my new location and took possession of my condo. Had a daybed delivered for spare bedroom and this enables me to sleep there for this visit. (I will be coming and going a few times). Shopped for some basic items, connected with friends, met building manager. It is a beautiful evening and the view from my new home is spectacular. I think this will be a good move!

Wonderful! I am so happy for you. Looking forward to more reports on your new home, location, and job. :)

If you can kill it with parking lights in 90 minutes (except maybe in Nodak's neighborhood in January) then you've possibly reversed one of the cells in that 12v battery, and while you've managed to beat it back into submission for now the battery is just not going to hold a charge for a meaningful length of time anymore. Even worse you're making all the computers run on startup voltage that may or may not be in their desired range..........

The battery is back up to 12 volts now - it was a low of 7.2 when discharged. That said, I'll start looking for a battery. It is an Escape and the battery is a unique (read expensive) configuration.

I ordered and received the following books:
1. Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning.
2. Bogleheads' Guide to Investing.
3. Tobias' The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need.

I realized I know very little about investing that I need a lot of catching up to do.
Maybe, I should have just bought book #3 above as its title implies.

Mowed the lawn. Rain is forecast off and on for the next week so glad to have that done.

Finally put the snow thrower away for the season. Change oil, drain fuel from tank, lines, and carburetor, put some oil in the cylinder, grease job on lube points. Hopefully it'll sit, unused, in the shed for years. Well, one can dream....

Went for a 50-mile motorcycle ride.

It is an Escape and the battery is a unique (read expensive) configuration.
The Optima is pretty pricey, too, but if you're looking at similar prices for the Escape's "dealer standard" battery then there may be less sticker shock.

The Optima is pretty pricey, too, but if you're looking at similar prices for the Escape's "dealer standard" battery then there may be less sticker shock.

I found one today at a regular auto supply for $90. They had the Optimas for about $180, but[-] I was too cheap[/-] passed. In true LBYM fashion I changed it in the parking lot.

For the first time, I set the dividends in my taxable account to be paid into savings instead of having them re-invested. Now I feel like a real partial retiree.

My neighbor invited us to his 50th anniversary celebration. I talked to his daughter (the organizer) and volunteered to surprise them by supplying music, so my other neighbor and her husband will be singing and playing bass, respectively, and I'll be on piano.

They are less experienced than I expected (jazz bass is different from rock and roll bass, who knew?), but they have a lot of enthusiasm and it should be a fun, no-pressure gig. Today I created some practice tracks (with and without melody) for them to work on until our next rehearsal.

This one turned out well, so I thought I'd share it here: The Nearness of You.

I ordered and received the following books:
1. Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning.
2. Bogleheads' Guide to Investing.
3. Tobias' The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need.

I realized I know very little about investing that I need a lot of catching up to do.
Maybe, I should have just bought book #3 above as its title implies.
Larry Swedroe has borrowed that title trick too. He has some of those "Only XXX You'll Ever Need" books out. Once on the Boglehead's forum I gently complained about this silly title stuff. He said that most financial author's are just happy to get a publisher and don't have control over things like the title or even the book cover design (some of these cover designs are truly terrible). So I guess we have to cut those author's a little slack.

Made several batches of soups & casseroles & salads. Ate too much. Shall get back to low-carb in a week or so.

Filled gas tank.

Fixed the 14-year-old Atima's windshield sprayer. The pump impeller was nearly impossible to turn by hand and both nozzles were plugged with dried minerals that wouldn't break up even with a sewing needle. The sludge that we flushed out of the bottom of the fluid reservoir was impressive so I guess after 14 years it gave the system a fatal dose of atherosclerosis.

I thought I'd end up at the junkyard. I was surprised to find a windshield-sprayer pump at [-]Checker[/-] O'Reilly Auto for only $25 and a pair of new spray nozzles for $20. The generic spray nozzles work better than the factory originals and have larger orifi for reduced clogging.

So spouse has decided to keep the car for another five years, which means the cost savings of this DIY job was roughly $6500-$13,000.

Larry Swedroe has borrowed that title trick too. He has some of those "Only XXX You'll Ever Need" books out. Once on the Boglehead's forum I gently complained about this silly title stuff. He said that most financial author's are just happy to get a publisher and don't have control over things like the title or even the book cover design (some of these cover designs are truly terrible). So I guess we have to cut those author's a little slack.
Financial authors are lucky that every one of their book titles doesn't include the phrase "... Like Warren Buffett!!"

"The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement... Like Warren Buffett!!" Please don't tell my publisher.

At an outdoor concert in Vegas listening to Quiet Riot and Docken. DH really wanted to go so I gave in...I'm wishing I would have declined it is Way Too Loud! And no I'm not way too old. :)

My neighbor invited us to his 50th anniversary celebration. I talked to his daughter (the organizer) and volunteered to surprise them by supplying music, so my other neighbor and her husband will be singing and playing bass, respectively, and I'll be on piano.

They are less experienced than I expected (jazz bass is different from rock and roll bass, who knew?), but they have a lot of enthusiasm and it should be a fun, no-pressure gig. Today I created some practice tracks (with and without melody) for them to work on until our next rehearsal.

This one turned out well, so I thought I'd share it here: The Nearness of You.
It sounds great. I think your neighbor will be very happy.

We rescheduled the surfing for tomorrow. Today was a quiet weekend-at-home day starting with a workout followed by running Scoobie on our kitchen/diningroom floors.

I did a lot of writing today to get the blog loaded up ahead of our Haleakala Crater hike... starting with Monday's post about hiking in Haleakala Crater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom