what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot to share what I found about the potency of the botulinum toxin. One site said that a fatal dose can be measured in nanograms per pound of body weight.

For comparison, a cyanide fatal dose is measured in milligrams per pound of body weight.

This means botulinum toxin is in the order of 1 million times more deadly than cyanide. Yikes!

Last edited:
I got up earlier than usual...8 AM. :cool:

I made an orange cake from scratch for the Legion AM coffee dudes. I brought it down at 1100, but most of the guys had left. They will devour it tomorrow AM.

So I ordered a "poor man's Bloody Mary". :)
It tasted so good, I had another one. :D
And then a 3rd one. :dance:

I'm sure it was 5 o'clock somewhere. ;)

I enjoyed a bowl of chicken noodle soup from the daily soup pot. It is customary to throw in a dollar to cover the cost of the ingredients. I stuck around and visited with some of the guys, then came home and watched National Geographic.
"The Sahara" is on now.

It's cloudy and chilly out, so I will be staying in tonight. It's leftover night...French Canadian meat pie from the freezer.

And...I ordered one of these babies for frequent muscle aches in my back and shoulders. I tried out the simpler version (only 2 massaging knobs in a small size pack) at a friend's house a few weeks ago and fell in love.
http://www.homedics.com/total-coverage-shiatsu-massage-cushion.html

Last edited:
And...I ordered one of these babies for frequent muscle aches in my back and shoulders. I tried out the simpler version (only 2 massing knobs in a small size pack) at a friend's house a few weeks ago and fell in love.
Total Coverage

Looks neat, I hope you enjoy it! There was a time when I would have just ordered something like that on impulse. Now that I am on a budget, that is not happening. It has to pass the "do I really need this? " test, as well as the "what"s my variance?" test. :LOL:

Looks neat, I hope you enjoy it! There was a time when I would have just ordered something like that on impulse. Now that I am on a budget, that is not happening. It has to pass the "do I really need this? " test, as well as the "what"s my variance?" test. :LOL:
I see you are suffering from 'first year frugality'. :)

Pssstttt...go for it :cool:

If you have any deep muscle knots from stress, this is THE answer.

Pssstttt...go for it :cool:

If you have any deep muscle knots from stress, this is THE answer.

Thanks Freebird, but not today! I just did an online purchase of my favorite Vitamin E moisturizer from the Body Shop.....10 jars and free shipping for half the price at the store. Let's see, that will go in the "toiletries" category, but will last for at least a year.....and I have a hairdo coming up later this week. Gotta watch those expenses, don'tcha know! :LOL:

I got one of those Homemedics Shiatsu massage pillows a few months ago to help loosen my muscles and ease any pain after weight lifting. In my case, I actually thought it was awful (for me, only, Freebird! :) ). It isn't like a real life massage, but more like you are being repeatedly jabbed with unforgiving metal pieces, wham wham wham, like you backed up against a machine. I guess it's the fact that it is an inanimate object doing the massage, that just doesn't go over well with me. I read on the reviews that if you put a towel between you and the pillow it helps, and that did help a little but just not enough. Anyway, for me it was a waste of money. YMMV and obviously does for some or they wouldn't still be making them. :D

Last edited:
I got one of those Homemedics Shiatsu massage pillows a few months ago to help loosen my muscles and ease any pain after weight lifting. In my case, I actually thought it was awful (for me, only, Freebird! :) ). It isn't like a real life massage, but more like you are being repeatedly jabbed with unforgiving metal pieces, wham wham wham, like you backed up against a machine. I guess it's the fact that it is an inanimate object doing the massage, that just doesn't go over well with me. I read on the reviews that if you put a towel between you and the pillow it helps, and that did help a little but just not enough. Anyway, for me it was a waste of money. YMMV and obviously does for some or they wouldn't still be making them. :D

That's good to know. If I have a lot of aches and pains I can get a prescription for a course of massage therapy from my doctor and I can deduct the cost from my corporate PHSP. I did that last fall and I think that's a better deal, and more enjoyable.

I see you are suffering from 'first year frugality'. :)

I suffered from that, but not because I was on a budget. When I was w*rking I never had time to price shop so when I saw what I needed I just bought it. Once I was free I had so much time I researched every purchase endlessly and found myself unable to buy some things because I was always sure there was a better deal out there and I knew I could find it. :)

I just joined Amazon Prime yesterday. Ordered things (I needed) yesterday and today. [Danger, Will Robinson!!].

Also watched the first two episodes of Downton Abbey and look forward to more.

That's good to know. If I have a lot of aches and pains I can get a prescription for a course of massage therapy from my doctor and I can deduct the cost from my corporate PHSP. I did that last fall and I think that's a better deal, and more enjoyable.

The one I got was this one, not the same as Freebird's.

Amazon.com: Homedics Therapist Select SP-10H Shiatsu Pillow, Beige: Health & Personal Care

As you can see, the first review is from someone who says this pillow is "her new best friend", and many other reviewers loved it. The idea of a pillow that would massage me is appealing to the independant woman in me, but it just doesn't float my boat. :)

I just joined Amazon Prime yesterday. Ordered things (I needed) yesterday and today. [Danger, Will Robinson!!].

I joined a few months ago and have been ordering stuff like crazy. I haven't even used the streaming video yet. :LOL:

Last edited:
The one I got was this one, not the same as Freebird's.

Amazon.com: Homedics Therapist Select SP-10H Shiatsu Pillow, Beige: Health & Personal Care

As you can see, the first review is from someone who says this pillow is "her new best friend", and many other reviewers loved it. The idea of a pillow that would massage me is appealing to the independant woman in me, but it just doesn't float my boat. :)

I joined a few months ago and have been ordering stuff like crazy. I haven't even used the streaming video yet. :LOL:

Thanks. I do have a Homedics foot spa, which I enjoy. But do NOT, repeat NOT, put soap or shower gel in it! (Otherwise you will be submerged in bubbles!). Don't ask me how I know...... :LOL:

After my usual 2-mile morning walk (in the drizzle) I finished up details on my first (and possibly only) consulting project and sent the draft off for review. Had a conference call for a volunteer committee, then prepped for two more volunteer committee meetings in the evening. Got an e-mail from my sister who wants to move our mother into assisted living (topic for another thread). Took a short nap :)

After responding to a few questions on the consulting project, sent a final document along with an invoice :dance: Ran off to above mentioned committee meetings eating a snack on the way. Came home to catch up on food and the world online:confused:

I like that show. Just read yesterday that Amazon has sole rights to it now and Netflix will stop streaming it soon.

..... I haven't even used the streaming video yet. :LOL:

It works very well. I happen to have a Displayport port on my Lenovo laptop and I bought a 25' Displayport>HDMI cable (on Amazon of course!) and connect to my widescreen HDTV and chose the HD version.

While I wish I had a remote to pause and play at time, it works well. Best thing - no commercials.

Still no snow... total less than 2 inches so far this winter.
(still in Illinois)

What will I do today?...
Going up to the Nursing Home to introduce the "Harlem Shake".:dance:

I like that show. Just read yesterday that Amazon has sole rights to it now and Netflix will stop streaming it soon.
That alone would be a good reason for me to choose Amazon Prime over Netflix when I decide to take out a streaming subscription again.

I tried the free trial of Amazon Prime recently and the only thing I didn't like about the streaming (in comparison to Netflix) was the inability to go full-screen - or is there a way to go full-screen with Amazon streaming that I missed?

Slept in until I felt like getting up (I love this part of ER).

Read a good portion of "How to retire happy, wild, and free" by Ernie Zelinski (I am really enjoying this book. Thanks to Midpack for the recommendation)

Wrote my Aunt a long email thanking her for always "being there" over the years.

Worked Out (5k run and crossfit-like strength training circuit)

Spent a little time on SecondLife (I have no idea why, Feel free to mock me, LOL...what a poor use of time!)

Played some Far Cry 3 (my newest PS3 game...a questionable use of time but you can't guilt me out of doing it)

Boiled eggs and planned dinner.

Came here and typed this.
Wow! Busy day and it's only 4:23.

That alone would be a good reason for me to choose Amazon Prime over Netflix when I decide to take out a streaming subscription again.

I tried the free trial of Amazon Prime recently and the only thing I didn't like about the streaming (in comparison to Netflix) was the inability to go full-screen - or is there a way to go full-screen with Amazon streaming that I missed?

I think you must have missed it because I did it just last night. One of the buttons in the lower right corner of the video window.

DW and I went downhill skiing - first time in about a month between so-so weather and being away. Conditions were good, but it would sure be nice to have more show as some trails had thin cover.

Trash/recycling on the way and grocery shopping on the way back.

My Investment Plan calls for me to check every year and rebalance if my asset allocation is off too far from target (-75%/+125%). Rebalance Day is February 14.

So... I ran the numbers, and I have to rebalance this year. Work, work, work. A retiree's job is never done... This will really cut into my 'second cup of coffee' sitting time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom