what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like Nodak, I just moved. It's a lot of work.

Today I unpacked nine boxes, up to and including the very last box used for the move into my dream house. So, no more unpacking! :D That doesn't mean that I am done moving in, though. I still need to hang pictures/paintings, put down some area rugs and mats under my home gym equipment, hook up my electronics and video game equipment, and complete various other smaller chores. Tomorrow I will take every last one of those boxes to recycling, and I am happy about that.

Last edited:
DW and I received the wonderful news that we have been waiting for. Grandchild #1 is on the way, should be here in late Feb. :)

Can't compete with a grandchild on the way! Congrats....

My paltry happenings for the day -my much beloved quiet morning in the kitchen with the backyard view while nibbling on some fruit and E. muffin.

Then some morning chores and email (blech - I dislike email even in FIRE).

Off to Lake Miramar to hike the paved road in a 5 mile loop....whew - it feels like southern Maryland where I used to live - was totally soaked when I got back to my truck.

Back home I fixed a fresh garden salad from my garden and left over potato salad from dinner.

Cleaned off the patio table and deck after the weekend storm and all the debris and dirt splattered all over everything.

Still feeling drippy/damp from the humidity...going to cool off before starting dinner.

I may just indulge today and open a chilled wine to enjoy w/ dinner and sip the rest on the back patio after it cools down a bit.

Today I am writing about what I did yesterday. I had a busy day as I went to Staples to return three empty ink cartridges, to Home Depot to buy a filter for the HVAC and to Barnes and Noble to buy a calendar. Nothing out of the ordinary at Staples and Home Depot. However, in front of the Barnes and Noble there were about 15-20 really scruffy guys just milling around. All of them had cameras. Anyhow, I get through the blockade, go into the store, walk around and see a very attractive woman in a black suit. I kind of look at her for a while, wondering if I know who she is. She takes off her sunglasses so I can see her face--it's Angelina Jolie. She smiles. I figure she is mistaking me for the late James Garner. Anyhow, I smile, she puts her glasses back on. I sort of wave good-bye. She sort of waves good-bye. I leave the store, forgetting to look for a calendar. The paparazzi are still in front of the store milling around. They don't give me a second thought. I guess they never heard of the late James Garner.

Last edited:
Prepping for Garage Sale #3

The three-year purge continues, so I'm hoping this is the last garage sale before putting the house on the market and DOWNSIZING. I thought last year's would be the final one; but, with the passing of DH, there is all of his good stuff that has real value. So it would be nice to make some cash on it before shipping the rest off to Salvation Army.

He would want me to do this.......so I am. He probably knows the cash will go with me on my next trip (3 weeks in the British Isles, come August). He would laugh to think that his old golf clubs will help to pay for hikes in the moors or evenings in the pubs with my girlfriends. Or that some of his old tools will help to pay for my cream teas in Bath.

He loved to laugh. And the ironies of the future keep me smiling too. His life seems to have permanently innoculated me with humor.

He was such a "hoot." And helped to make my life one as well!

He was such a "hoot." And helped to make my life one as well!

I'm glad you have such good memories! The best way to honor such a good humoured person is to enjoy life's experiences and toast him with good friends once in a while.

Sorry for your loss, LitGal, but pleased you had time with someone who could make such a profound and positive impact on your life.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Haven't been on the forum for a bit; life has been rather full. Spending a lot of time getting ready for a trip out West next week; going to meander around Glacier National Park, Gran Tetons, Yellowstone - a bit more touristy than we normally get, but we'll be traveling with family who don't do the boondocking as do we. Their Class A can't get to some of the spots our truck camper can.

Picked up a new sidearm yesterday that will be making the trek with us, so today will be spent at the range drilling in procedures, making sure the firearm functions well, and just having fun in general. Haven't carried a 1911 style firearm since the Marine Corps, but old habits should be quickly retrieved.

A teaser for the gun nuts out there:

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1437476840.236487.jpg

what did you do today?

We're out in our RV for a few days at a very nice state park. Only a handful of folks here so very quiet as well. We discovered a nice new morning routine for these stinkin' hot Texas summer days. Get up early and head out for a walk, then have breakfast outside and play cards until it gets too hot. Very nice, even though DH beat me every game.

I went back out (with an icy water bottle) and hiked a couple more trails that weren't suited for DHs wheelchair. Think I'll stay in the AC until it's time to cook dinner - I'm grilling chicken and veggie kebabs. Yum.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

We're out in our RV for a few days at a very nice state park. Only a handful of folks here so very quiet as well. We discovered a nice new morning routine for these stinkin' hot Texas summer days.

You have to be descended from some sturdy stock to RV in Texas in the summertime. :)

Cooked dinner from my garden. At 4PM I pulled an onion, picked a bell pepper, a jalapeño, parsley and basil. Used two of my garlic cloves that I harvested 2 weeks ago. Stir- fried with shrimp, salt, crushed red pepper, lime juice, a splash of tequila, and added Sobe noodles at the end. A side of salad with my garden lettuce, basil and parsley.

Went swimming this afternoon too.

I could never do this if I had stayed in my condo in Silicon Valley. Well--maybe the swimming part.

I also picked about 10 Roma tomatoes. Will let them ripen a bit more away from the critters-bugs, birds and rodents, then it's salsa time! My little fence around the raised bed is working. We have many bunnies.ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1437522881.614616.jpg

Typical day - mess around online, water the flowers, 14 mile bike ride, Subway for lunch, cut the grass, boat ride, dinner, and more online while watching TV.

Worked on emptying out the living room, dining room, and kitchen in preparation for the first remodel in 28 years. Demolition starts in 7 days.

I think I'll run a Flickr album on the project.

Just got back from my mini-vacation up north. Tomorrow is boating day :dance:, last chance this week to get out on the lake before the crazy weekenders converge.

I'm making Chinese style spare ribs and salt potatoes for dinner.
I have fresh cucumbers and pole beans to pick as side dishes.

Watching the Yankee and Orioles game in the comfort of our living room AC.

I love nice lazy summer days like this. :D

Just piddled about the house in the morning before meeting up with a co-w*ker who also retired to go to the Padres game at Petco.

The drive into downtown SD was easy-peasy, got parking right across the street from Petco, went in, walked around, got some lunch before the game started then watched the Padres lose big time to the Giants...bailed out at the bottom of the 8th, and went back to the car.

Getting out of downtown was easy too! Zoom, zip, out, and back home.

Daytime games are definitely cool....just wish the Padres didn't suck.:facepalm:

DW is coming back from two weeks in Lima, Peru Saturday after visiting temporarily (work) assigned friend's wife. I have to get this house cleaned up :facepalm: so I can call in our house cleaner to finish it up.

Yesterday the buyers of my old house had their inspections, and I was asked to attend in order to answer any questions. It went OK, I think? I'll know more when I get the laundry list of things the buyers want fixed.

Today I awakened thinking that this would be my first day with nothing going on, since the move. But then my handyman called and said he finally could squeeze in a job I wanted him to do. I wanted him to install the keypad deadbolts and matching doorknobs that I bought for all four exterior doors here at my new-to-me house! :D

I'm thrilled. He did it and did a very good job of it, too. I loved having a keypad deadbolt on the side door of my old house. That was my favorite feature of that house. Now I have identical keypad deadbolts, not just on the side door, but on every door. How terrific is that? (answer: VERY terrific). :dance: :clap: :dance:

Just walked up to the post office to send a package to DS, and over to the library to pick up a couple of audiobooks for an upcoming road trip, just under 3000 fitbit steps. Think I'll do it again a couple of times....

Went on a photo hike at dawn, made a simple barn wood photo frame, and used gimp to superimpose one of this morning's photos into the frame to see what it will look like when printed.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 3.51.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 3.51.19 PM.png
    1,002.2 KB · Views: 26
This was yesterday. A 2.5 hour paddle in occasionally challenging conditions. A canoe would have been mincemeat.:cool:

Here's one of the beaches I stopped at on the way.

A year ago my day would have looked much different. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,019.3 KB · Views: 38
You have to be descended from some sturdy stock to RV in Texas in the summertime. :)

Fortunately we have good A/C. We get out in the morning, hibernate in the afternoon (usually reading, sometimes TV depending on where we are), and then go back out in the evening. We find just breaking up the home routine for a couple of days is good for us.

That said, we will not be going out again until September. We're not completely nuts.

I poured a new chimney crown. yesterday I removed the old one and built a custom mold for the crown. Today I also tuck pointed the worst of the brick on the chimney.

I'm FIRED... so I'm not working :facepalm:

Yesterday was a fairly big bike ride since the weather was nice and cool for it. Today I have my first and only concert of the summer to go to. Will be meeting my buddy for a beer and dinner before hand. Was supposed to go at 6 but he can't get away from w**k until 6:30

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom