what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
BbbIam:
Iam too shortsighted to make out your new avatar:confused:. What´s it? It looks like something fuzzy...
Yeah it was a fuzzy butt. I think it belonged to a gorilla...

Looks like a hippo butt to me. First, sexy legs and now hippo butt -- perhaps the avatar is linked to how she feels about the bathroom scale reading each morning? ;)
Oh ho ho....you best be posting that little wink smilie.......:bat:........:LOL:

I couldn't take the fuzzy butt anymore. So I put up a pic of my new purchase. :)

DH and I spent our first of 3 days caring for our daughter's two sons -- our youngest grandsons who are 2 and 3 months - in their home.

Please explain to me how your daughter can have two children who differ by a month in age. There is only one recorded case of this in the literature!

Unless one is adopted, of course.....

Please explain to me how your daughter can have two children who differ by a month in age. There is only one recorded case of this in the literature!

Unless one is adopted, of course.....

I assume 2 years and 3 months.

Well not very far into the day but I know what is in store for the rest of the day. Got a call from the nursing home letting me know my 97 year old aunt passed away this morning. Looks like she died around 5:00am. She had been sleeping a lot lately so I know it was an easy death. A great lady and one I will miss, but I know she is in a much better place.

Will be making arrangements today and that is a bummer. But something we all have to deal with.:(

I am so sorry. What a wonder to live to 97 though. And she was lucky to have a good nephew like you to watch over her.

Will be making arrangements today and that is a bummer. But something we all have to deal with.:(

I don't know if she was able to express it, but it must have been a comfort to your aunt to have your loving attentiveness during this time.

Kindest regards,

Today I gave blood, then went to the grocery store and got caught in heavy rain going back to the car.

Awakened about 6AM by thunderstorm.

I am just home from a trip. I picked up my dog yesterday at a friend's house as this was my number one priority. Today I got my mail at the post office, went to the grocery, and am catching up on my laundry. My evening plans revolve around an early shower, my ratty pajamas, a movie, and most likely snoring on the couch with the dog.

Put up new homemade FM radio antenna. Full quieting on the classical station from Pittsburgh WQED, and Johnstown WQEJ repeater. Even the HD radio sidebands' chirps are gone. Now kick back and listen.
cool.gif

Wish they would drop the HD radio, poor reception, droputs, not worth buying one.

Oil and filter change on the pussycat (Jag). 20 minutes. Then an hour to jack it up on all four corners (I should get a darn lift) to change differential oil. The British figured out how to make the task near impossible.

Remove spare tire, remove covering to rear firewall, pry off an inspection plate, find flexible 1/2" swivel 'cause the fill plug is 2" offset from said inspection plate, attach extender and 1/2" ratchet, cuss loudly and colorfully at the ancestries of all those motherf**** who designed this thing.

Get a jug of 90W fluid and a hand pump, to which attach 3' plastic hose to reach the fill hole of differential. Pump fluid. Since the fill hole now is not easly visible, pump, pull out hose look at level, pump, rinse repeat until fluid is now running out and down the frame into a the oil pan mercifully remembered to put under rear differential frame. Cuss some more. Crawl under lifted car try and maneuvere the fill plug through the now thoroughly well oiled frame and start a few threads. Cuss some more. Crawl out and climb into trunk. Maneuvre the swivel into the square hole of the plug, not an easy task as the swivel tends to flop down and avoid being inserted into the fill plug. Say several hail marys and our fathers in a s many languages as I can muster. Finally success, attach extender and ratchet, tighten plug. Recount more of the holy ancestry of all the British engineers. Wipe hands.
Lower car to terra firma.

Suck up two cans of Fosters in rapid succession. Answer yes Hon when wife announces DINNER. Wash hands, enjoy dinner. Repeat excercise in two years or so.

So how was your day?

I meant to ask earlier but forgot.

I never change differential oil in my cars, which admittedly were no collectibles, and of course were junked before their differential ever failed.

But every 2 years? :confused: Is it really a requirement, or is it because of love?

Well not very far into the day but I know what is in store for the rest of the day. Got a call from the nursing home letting me know my 97 year old aunt passed away this morning. Looks like she died around 5:00am. She had been sleeping a lot lately so I know it was an easy death. A great lady and one I will miss, but I know she is in a much better place.

Sorry for your loss Dawg. Transistions like these are so bittersweet. Take care.

I don't know if she was able to express it, but it must have been a comfort to your aunt to have your loving attentiveness during this time.

Thanks for all the warm replies. Yes she did express her love to all of us over the last couple of weeks. Today we laid her to rest as we remembered all the good times we had with her over the years. A sad day, but a day to celebrate her life. I do feel at peace knowing she is resting easy now.

Dawg, transitions are always rough, mercifully the good memories remain.

I meant to ask earlier but forgot.

I never change differential oil in my cars, which admittedly were no collectibles, and of course were junked before their differential ever failed.

But every 2 years? :confused: Is it really a requirement, or is it because of love?

Most car makers have some schedule for differential fluid change. On front wheel drives, it is part of the transmission.

On the Jag the recommended interval is 24k miles or 24 months. On my Suburban, nearing 100k miles, since I tow with it, once a year or year and half.

Now for the long version:

Most folks just ignore it. I you are not into running cars to high mileage, I guess it is a non-problem. I tend to run my vehicles into the mid 200k mile range. So I do change the goo.

I had a 79 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4, sold it at 250+ k miles a few years ago, engine and drive train were in excellent shape, when sold it. Used to change, tranny, diff, transfer case fluids every 2 to 2 1/2 years. Only occasional towing. New owner fixed body, now that truck is over 320k miles, original engine, tranny, transfer case, differentials. Engine oil I run to 5 to 6 or 7 thousand miles. That is a long story by itself.

My Jag is well over 200k miles now, differential is in good shape, had to change an axle bearing a few years ago. Otherwise drive train is original.

As is usual then, the answer is, it depends. What is it you are trying to accomplish?

As is usual then, the answer is, it depends. What is it you are trying to accomplish?

I change engine oil religiously. Transmission oil in cars with transverse engine, whenever I feel guilty, like once every 5 years, sometimes never because the car got totaled before I got to it. Differential oil and transmission oil in cars with rear wheel drive, never. It's TOO tough.

So far, the highest mileage I have had was 170,000 mi on a Datsun 280Z. The engine was not totally shot, but the suspension was worn and "tire mileage" was terrible. While debating whether to fix that, it failed the required emission test. That nailed its coffin.

Owning no collectible car, I try to get reasonable life out of a car, while minimizing my elbow grease at the same time. :D The cost of my elbow grease is getting higher every year, while my never-expensive taste for cars is getting cheaper and cheaper. My next one most likely will be a Hyundai.

Need to kick myself because when I re-tired, I didn't need a work van and Tahoe. I decided to register the van as in-operative, cancel the insurance and someday sell it!
Now, with the cash for junkers program, I'd give it to my daughter to use towards the purchase of her new car. Only, it won't qualify and it's not worth what she could've gotten!!!
So I guess I'll have to "kick myself" today.
OH well,

Yes, the main Schwab office. We were there in the downtown area one time we were in SF. It was great drinking coffee in the morning, while watching hurried commuters going to work. The coffee tasted better!

Do you share recipes? :flowers:

If not, no worries.

Sure. This is from The Bread Machine Cookbook. I make the dough in the machine, then divide it in three. I roll out three cylinders of dough, flatten them a bit, put in chopped Kalamata olives and perhaps some cheese, then seal them up. I turn them over so that the seal is on the bottom.

Everything else is done as per the recipe below. 45 minutes must be a misprint, 'cause it's always done after about 25 (even in Challah shape).

img_839518_0_af3444268a218d0d9da3fee45c30fdb3.jpg

Funny thing: I made this for a picnic, and one of the women there was asking my wife questions about it. She had to say several times "I didn't make it, he did." Sexism lives, apparently.

I came back online after a wonderful 2 week vacation at sea. :D Pics will be forthcoming as soon as I wade through the more than 500 that dh2b took. :rolleyes:
My biggest challenge du jour is to decide whether to try to catch up on past threads or just start fresh. I think a fresh re-entry is easiest.
Hey, I'm FIREd. I am no longer paid to think. :cool:

Made our monthly trip to Costco. Beer, wine, laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent, vitamins, lamb chops, pork chops, steaks (we repackage the meats into twosies and freeze them). A big bill and what did we save? As far as I can tell, not a cent. All potential savings morphed into luxury foods that we would not ordinarily buy: cashews, almonds, smoked salmon, manchego cheese.

Moral: Never, ever, go to Costco when you are hungry.

She had been sleeping a lot lately so I know it was an easy death. A great lady and one I will miss, but I know she is in a much better place.:(

It does sound like she had an easy death. She lived a good life and had a great nephew with her during the end of her life. I hope that I should be so lucky.

I am sorry for your loss though and I agree that she would be in a better place. It is nice that you and the relatives celibrated her life.

DH and I spent our first of 3 days caring for our daughter's two sons -- our youngest grandsons who are 2 and 3 months - in their home. Also in the mix -- 4 dogs (our two and their two). The 2 year old has some medical issues which require some extra procedures, and the 3 month old is not yet on a regular schedule. We had 2 children of our own 30 plus years ago, and I remember asking myself why everyone thought taking care of kids was so hard -- I remembered it as being quite easy, and I always had time to do extras like read, sew, do needlework, etc. DH was in the Army then and gone a lot, so I did most of it myself. Well, today we made it with two of us on the job, but we were busy every second and are now totally pooped. What a difference 30 years makes!! But we are so glad we got to do this.....the 2 year old is amazingly adaptable and follows our directions quite well. Hope it lasts!!!
I was laughing reading this. I just watched my 1 yr old granddaughter for a week. My DH is still working and he normally gets off at 4:00, but did not get home until 6:50 on Friday night and had to work 5 hrs on Sat (he normally does not work on weekends) That was his story and he is sticking to it. Her bedtime is 7:30 and some days I was watching the clock, just waiting for 7:30 to get there. She was getting me up at 6:30 and would only take 1 nap per day. My DD's DH is in a 3 month training in TX and she is going back out for a week in Sept. I need to start resting up now! I love her dearly, but I definitely do not have the energy at 56 that I had in my 20's and 30's.

Last edited:
Dawg - I just saw this quoted "She had been sleeping a lot lately so I know it was an easy death. A great lady and one I will miss, but I know she is in a much better place.:("

I am very sorry for your recent loss of your beloved aunt. Your posts in recent times about doing things with and for her were wonderful. You came across as very caring and attentive.
We should all be so lucky to have a nephew like you, eh? :)

Took a gamble on the 30% chance of rain and after picking up some prescriptions, rode the motorcycle to Cunningham Falls State Park in MD. Taking the back roads via Antietam and Boonsboro it's a nice ride. Now I've found a new area to explore on the bike.

I didn't do anything there, just picked up a brochure at the visitor's center and headed back home, but it's a nice 90-mile round trip ride. Today is our 21st wedding anniversary and DW must be taken out tonight. I suggested riding the bike to dinner and she was um, not receptive to that idea. Oh, well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom