What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Costco charges $0.40 per gal less for regular and $0.50 less for premium vs the next less expensive gasoline in this area.

That's a huge price variation.

I looked at GasBuddy locally and the Costco price for regular is about $0.10 to $0.15 less than surrounding stations, but many stations in the area are within a penny or two of their price.

I went too Costco this afternoon. Now I remember why I never go to Costco in the afternoon. :facepalm: I also briefly considered getting gas while there, but the wait was at least 45 minutes. The difference in gas prices here is greater than I've seen anywhere else. Costco charges $0.40 per gal less for regular and $0.50 less for premium vs the next less expensive gasoline in this area.

I go to costco every week. Do my grocery shopping there. I refuse to go on weekends at all. And strongly prefer to be there when it opens to get in and out before the crowds. Our costco usually rolls up the gates about 15 mins before the nominal open time... Definitely helps to avoid the crowd by being there that early.

Reheating some chili--recipe called for 2.5 lbs stew meat and 3/4 Cup of chili powder, plus other random spices and chilis (no beans). I thought it was ridiculously spicy hot (I don't think I've ever used anywhere that much chili powder to only 2.5 lbs meat) while it was crockpotting yesterday but it is unbelievably good today and not hot at all. So glad I didn't second-guess or tinker with the recipe. Like Walt's beef stew, it is a great meal for a cold day, although it warmed up to 18 degrees here and we have no snow i the forecast.

I go to costco every week. Do my grocery shopping there. I refuse to go on weekends at all. And strongly prefer to be there when it opens to get in and out before the crowds. Our costco usually rolls up the gates about 15 mins before the nominal open time... Definitely helps to avoid the crowd by being there that early.

Not around here (SWFL). Costco is crowded the moment it opens. I've found the best time to go is after dark. We've got so many older drivers around here, and many of them don't drive after dark. I try to do as much shopping after dark as possible, which works fine at this time of year. By late April the daylight lasts too long, but much of the crowds have gone by then.

As far as the gas differential, our Costco is about 10 - 15 cents cheaper than nearby stations. If I drive 20 miles north to BJs in Fort Myers, gas is around 30 - 40 cents cheaper than it is in my area. Not sure why, unless the stations near me are gouging the rich Naples snow birds.

I went to a benefit for our library ." A conversation with Steven King & John Grisham ". It was excellent . They both told stories and they were funny & real. They raffled off first run copies of their books . I tried to win "Misery " but alas it was not to be .

Went to the Costco near me yesterday. Gas line was pretty short, but the store was packed, at noon on Tuesday, but that's "normal"...

Got a couple inches of snow last night so this morning I went out and shoveled off the driveway. It's big like 250 ft long and 16 ft wide plus the wider parking in front of both garages. That took a couple of hours. Then I see the neighbor lady across the street out shoveling their driveway. That was strange since her hubby usually always does it. So I go over and help her. Turns out her hubby was in the hospital for a week and they just got home, so glad I could help.

Then I remember the neighbor next door to them are having health issues so I went over and shoveled their driveway. They were gone at the time because there were fresh tire tracks. I hope they are pleasantly surprised when they get home. So by 10:00 AM I am done and back in the house. Probably won't do much more today.

I had an appointment with a lawyer to have a will done in my new state. Also having all the geezer paperwork done at the same time. Putting DD in charge if I become incapacitated.

I stopped at the auto shop and swapped out my Jeep for the old plow truck. I had to pick up a 12 foot long chain rail for the extra tall garage door opener and could not get it home without the truck. Also picked up a scaffold at Tractor Supply. Made stops at Home Depot and the hardware store while I was at it. I left between 9:00 and 10:00 this morning and got back home about 7:30 this evening. That is pretty typical on any trip down to the city.

I'll have to go back down to the auto shop in the morning to swap the truck back. They think I have an issue with one of the front hubs, but want to look into it a little closer before ordering parts.

Hermit

Went to the Costco near me yesterday. Gas line was pretty short, but the store was packed, at noon on Tuesday, but that's "normal"...

Lunchtime is the WORST at my closest 2 costco's. People go there for lunch at the food court. Others go to graze their way through the samples inside the store.

When I go first thing in the morning it is just starting to get crowded when I leave.. Lots of people after my parking spot.

First day of the semester for me, so I taught classes this morning. Being with my students is like coming home. Damn, I love my job!

Afterwards: Got oil changed in the minivan, swung by my favorite thrift shop and found three fantastic, expensive-brand work blouses for a grand total of $30, then rounded up the rugrats and headed to the showgrounds to... pick up Girl Scout Cookies! Sale starts this Saturday morning. Rugrats are finally big enough to load the van themselves and they rocked it.

Also tried whole wheat pasta for the first time tonight. I said nothing before dinner, and nobody made any comments, and I thought it was perfectly fine, so I think we're going to transition to whole wheat from now on. We eat pasta a couple of times a month, so it's not going to make a huge difference, but I figure every little scooch towards a healthier life helps.

Arrived at Disney Caribbean Beach Resort today. DD and DGD flew down from snow central, and we drove up. DD is working at a gymnastic meet, and DGD, DW, and I are going to have some fun. I've never stayed at a Disney resort before, and although we're going to Magic Kingdom tomorrow, we're going to do Harry Potter and SeaWorld the other days. Still, it's a decent hotel and there are fun things to do with DGD right here. I'm hoping the snowstorm either forces them to stay a little extra time, or is pretty much melted before they go home.

Arrived at Disney Caribbean Beach Resort today. DD and DGD flew down from snow central, and we drove up. DD is working at a gymnastic meet, and DGD, DW, and I are going to have some fun. I've never stayed at a Disney resort before, and although we're going to Magic Kingdom tomorrow, we're going to do Harry Potter and SeaWorld the other days. Still, it's a decent hotel and there are fun things to do with DGD right here. I'm hoping the snowstorm either forces them to stay a little extra time, or is pretty much melted before they go home.

We stayed there during our honeymoon. They gave us a photo of Mickey and Minnie in wedding clothes. :)

Have a nice time!

Got up a bit earlier to finish making the beef stew (I'd chopped most of the veggies earlier). Put all that in the 8-quart crock pot then we left for the gym. About 15 minutes before we finished there the snow started. By the time we got home 15 minutes later we'd passed two wrecks (did no one remember from last year that snow is slippery?) and I had to put the truck in 4WD.

The house smells great from the stew cooking and we don't plan on going out for at least several days. Forecast now is a total of about two feet or so in the next two days. For some of you that's light flurries but around here it is rare.

Walt - I think that 2 feet in 2 days is rare for almost everyone here. Take care and hunker down with that stew.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Walt - I think that 2 feet in 2 days is rare for almost everyone here. Take care and hunker down with that stew.

I have cousins in Buffalo, NY and was thinking of places like that. They just sneer at snow stories from here.:LOL:

Got up a bit earlier to finish making the beef stew (I'd chopped most of the veggies earlier). Put all that in the 8-quart crock pot then we left for the gym. About 15 minutes before we finished there the snow started. By the time we got home 15 minutes later we'd passed two wrecks (did no one remember from last year that snow is slippery?) and I had to put the truck in 4WD.

The house smells great from the stew cooking and we don't plan on going out for at least several days. Forecast now is a total of about two feet or so in the next two days. For some of you that's light flurries but around here it is rare.

We're going to need photos of the stew and the snow--probably not mixed together--as the snow progresses. Will be thinking of you!

To all of you folks in the storm's path - be safe and warm.

My day: Went to my younger son's school for "Coffee with the Principal". Traffic was HORRIBLE on the way back (which is why I have them take the bus to school) so I stopped at Target and picked up supplies for the new semester and for my Italian class that starts on Monday. Came home and made sure DH was ok and had fresh OJ (he's got a horrible cold.) then worked out.

Getting ready to get the kids from school then send older kid to spanish tutoring, make dinner while he's there, get him then take younger son to basketball game tonight. Lots of moving parts tonight.

Like Walt, watching the snow fall. About 4" so far on the way to 24" according to the forecast. We bought Chinese food this morning to get through the storm for a couple of days.

Signed up for two classes related to my new CNC machine that is on the way. First is in March in Georgia that is 2 days related to the hardware and operation of the router. I'll drive down, about 10 hours from here. Second class is in May for 3 days covering the design software (Aspire). That one is in Columbia, SC, about 8 hours away. Have a friend that will attend this class with me. Don't like the travel idea but want to get the most out of the new router.

Opened a checking and savings account at a new bank within easy walking distance of my new home. I've been at the same bank for 28 years, but I hate the location, and they give me no incentive to stay there. New bank gave me $100 to switch my accounts to them!! Better than a toaster!!

Had my NM concealed carry recertification training class today. Here you have to sit through a short class every 2 years to review the laws and also do a shooting qualification halfway through your 4 year license; and then a longer course and same shooting qualification for the 4 year license renewal. Then pay your fees to the state along with paperwork and you are good for another 4 years.

At least the renewal course is shorter than the original 2 day course for new licenses.

Last edited:
Got my truck back from the shop today. It has new front wheel hubs that are manual. That means I will have to get out switch the hubs in and out of 4 wheel drive.

Its a good thing they got it done. The Kid's Camp plow is down and we needed something up and running.

Made the first pass on the driveway with the snow thrower. This it the first snow we've had that will take more than one pass. Finished cooking the beef stew in the crock pot last night. Someone had asked for pictures so here they are, just before & after taking the lid off:

Attachments

• Beef_stew-1.jpg
    Beef_stew-1.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Beef_stew-3.jpg
    Beef_stew-3.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Beef_stew-4.jpg
    Beef_stew-4.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 35
Went to the dry-cleaners this morning only to find that it was closed due to the blizzard. Got a head start shoveling some of the accumulating snow drifts in my driveway and walks. It'll make it easier when the snow finally stops tomorrow morning. Made two loaves of french bread in between posting here.

Made the first pass on the driveway with the snow thrower. This it the first snow we've had that will take more than one pass. Finished cooking the beef stew in the crock pot last night. Someone had asked for pictures so here they are, just before & after taking the lid off:

Someone did ask for pictures and says the meal looks delicious.

Took my older son to Saturday School (a program for kids who either need to make up absenses or need a chance to catch up on schoolwork.). I then went down to the beach to walk the dog. Got to my normal beach and the parking lot was PACKED. I didn't understand - it was 8am, overcast/foggy, high tide... all things that tend to reduce the beach crowds. Then I saw the tents/banners. Turns out there was an event to try and break the worlds record for the most surfers on a single wave. Record was 110 surfers in Australia. The boardwalk and limited (high tide) beach were packed... making it challenging to get my walk in. But folks were excited. I left before the first attempt because legally, I have to have the dog off the beach before 9am.

Who knows if they made it. Local tv station says no. Local online news says yes - with 113 surfers.
San Diego Misses World Record for Most Surfers on Single Wave - Times of San Diego

Another, later, story says Nope... close but no record. Only 97 surfers.
One Wave Challenge | SanDiegoUnionTribune.com

(Great pics at the 2nd link.)

Oops - looks like the 1st article was updated to reflect the "nope"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom