What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got to get my family room/ tv wall redo done before hockey and football season. Demo day 1 today. knocked out part of a wall and took the brick off the fireplace.

But see, this is good. Everything broke already, so I won't have another computer breakdown for ages, right? Right? Isn't that how it works? :D

Exactly, it's been predisastered, like this:

Getting ready to drive up to my high-country boondocks home for a reprieve from this 108F heat.

Will see if I get T-Mobile coverage up there with the new 55+ deal. If not, y'all will not see me for a while.

Getting ready to drive up to my high-country boondocks home for a reprieve from this 108F heat.

Will see if I get T-Mobile coverage up there with the new 55+ deal. If not, y'all will not see me for a while.

Hope you have a chance to relax in somewhat cooler temperatures.

I can't even imagine experiencing 108F. Do old people without AC die in your area? Sounds unbearable.

I am posting now, so obviously T-Mobile has coverage up here. It is through US Cellular One though (is it still an independent company?). Speed is slower than ATT though.

About the temperature, the day in late June when I escaped from the 96F in Paris, I got home to 120F temperature.

I am getting old and weak. Even 108F feels tough despite the low humidity. Imagine what the interior of your car is after a day parking out in the sun in 120F. Well, people still brave it every day when they drive home from work. And when I first came here more than 40 years ago, many cars did not have AC either. We have all become sissies.

About old people without AC, no, they do not move here if they value their life. :D

PS. Forgot to say, temperature is 81F at this 7,000-ft location, and quite pleasant with low humidity and a breeze on the hill top.

Last edited:
Kid's stuff:

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/var...ay-face-65-C-temperatures-during-Ramadan.html

That's around 149F.......and why I didn't go into the pool in Riyadh until the water temp reached 100F. :LOL:

And people say that New Orleans is hot!!! :2funny: :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

Our high on this summer day was a cool, comfy 90F, with sunshine and blue skies.
I am getting old and weak. Even 108F feels tough despite the low humidity. Imagine what the interior of your car is after a day parking out in the sun in 120F. Well, people still brave it every day when they drive home from work. And when I first came here more than 40 years ago, many cars did not have AC either. We have all become sissies.

About old people without AC, no, they do not move here if they value their life. :D
I cannot even imagine! That (and the heat Nemo describes in Riyadh) is insanely hot. I could not bear it.

For me, temperatures between 50F - 100F are about all that I think I could stand. It's nice to know that even if the economy collapses and I became too broke to pay for heat or AC, I will not die simply due to the temperatures outside.

Last edited:
I cannot even imagine! That (and the heat Nemo describes in Riyadh) is insanely hot.

Yabbut, it's a dry heat. ;) (I've opened an outside door of an air conditioned building and been hit with a blast similar to when you open an oven and peer in without stepping back first.)

Yabbut, it's a dry heat. ;) (I've opened an outside door of an air conditioned building and been hit with a blast similar to when you open an oven and peer in without stepping back first.)
LOL!!! Now that is HOT.

Thank goodness, I have zero desire to ever set foot inside that inferno.

I did absolutely nothing today and it was everything I thought it could be.

Actually I kegged the beer that was sitting in secondary dry hopping while I traveled to view the eclipse and it was everything I thought it could be. Planning my new kegerator in my head as my first woodworking project in my newly organized basement. DW is out this evening and I'm coming to realize the importance of having time on our own in RE.

1. Slept in
2. Teeth cleaning
3. Made and ate lunch - lean turkey italian sausage with onions and zucchini
4. Walked for hair cut- 3 miles round trip

And people say that New Orleans is hot!!! :2funny: :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

Our high on this summer day was a cool, comfy 90F, with sunshine and blue skies.
I cannot even imagine! That (and the heat Nemo describes in Riyadh) is insanely hot. I could not bear it.

For me, temperatures between 50F - 100F are about all that I think I could stand. It's nice to know that even if the economy collapses and I became too broke to pay for heat or AC, I will not die simply due to the temperatures outside.

Plus, here it is impossible to live off the land. We have no water if it weren't for dams and irrigation canals, while you have plenty. :)

And with lots of water, come all kinds of fauna one can get for food. Out here, nothing but saguaros. Even up in the high country, streams are rare, and water comes from deep wells. That's the price to pay to have a dry climate with no mosquitoes and other bugs.

Reactions: W2R
Packed a bag. Off to Seattle to see my 5 1/2 month old grandson tomorrow, and his parents of course. The weather there is warmer than here in PA.

Gym day with DW, then a stop at Lowes. She wants all new outside light fixtures since the ones we have are (according to her) "decrepit, scuzzy, and ugly". They all work, and I'm in the camp of "If it ain't broke don't fix it" but that message was not persuasive enough. So I now have five new outside light fixtures sitting in boxes in the kitchen to put on the house.

I wonder what I'll be doing tomorrow....?:LOL:

Spent part of the morning at the local Mazda to buy a car for DW. Her last car was a 1998!
The car has all the bells and whistles on it, and she is very happy with it. It is also the first car she has not had to make payments on.:dance:

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 143
Spent the day down in the flatland of Pueblo, CO working on an old dump truck my friend and I have given to the kids camp. We got the engine running, the breaks bled, the clutch bled, fluid in the power steering pump. The truck has not been on the road in several years. The lights still don't work, but that should not be much of a problem so it is about ready to go. It was a miserable (to me) low 90s day down there. Glad to be back up in the mountains!

I am posting now, so obviously T-Mobile has coverage up here. It is through US Cellular One though...

My wife discovered that her phone does not work. Then, it occurred to me that while ATT and T-Mobile use GSM standard, US Cellular One uses CDMA, the same as Verizon.

So, my phone can communicate in both standards, but her phone being older does not handle CDMA. We have been thinking about updating her phone anyway. I did not know that there is roaming capability across different networks. This is cool.

When I was doing some work in the telecom industry back in 2000, digital cell phone technology was a big deal, and implementing one standard in a small phone was hard enough let alone both, and multi bands too for world-wide coverage.

Yesterday I helped my younger sister move from the KC area back to the Des Moines area. She has been in KC 28 years and I am so excited to have her near me and my parents.

Installed five new light fixtures outside - one pole light, one porch light, one on each side of the garage door, and one on the far side of the garage. Now my back hurts so I'm taking the rest of the day off.

Played golf for the third time this week. I'm finally getting better!

A pleasant lazy morning, stopped at the coffee shop for an americano. On to goodwill, got 9 CDs with oldies and some disco. Then stopped at the French Bistro for a couple of slices of Quiche. Got home checked mail box, postmiz is late with delivery for a Friday.

Edit add: Nearly forgot, ordered a set of headlamps for the 99 Suburban, too foggy, polishing no longer works.

Later going to dance class.

Whew, this retirement thing is tough:LOL:

Last edited:
I had a meeting with my Vanguard rep. I did double check my beneficiary situation based on a recent thread. Not a problem for us.

As I left the house for the grocery store, the trash was knocked down. Somehow a bag of fish remains didn't get taken by the trash folks. Mr. Bear had a great snack.

The mounting bolts on my trucks bed cover were lost. Tiny little things, guy at ACE made my day. Walking in an out trying different sizes, he even got a wrench and tightened them. Fourty nine cents. Wonder if they change oil?

I received a bizzare text from someone and I didn't recognize the number, but the content made me think.

Something about meeting a guy from EDJones and technology we developed 25 years ago. How it changed how they did business. WTF, some of this is familiar? This morning I responded back asking if this was my old boss? Well of course it was, I'd lost his contact info!

I'd forgotten Jones was the driving force behind the technology. They used to routinely bring our mainframes down when their software got confused(it wasn't hard, moving a field on a screen would do it). Three of us went out there and partially designed the system with their technology folks. That night we went to Ozzies, Jose Cuervo joined us, we had the system designed before last call. 😂

Last edited:
Spent part of the morning at the local Mazda to buy a car for DW. Her last car was a 1998!
The car has all the bells and whistles on it, and she is very happy with it. It is also the first car she has not had to make payments on.:dance:

Very nice choice!!! I love the color of it, too.

washed and detailed 9 windows - inside and out - Right shoulder is sore now.
might farm this chore out next year...

Had our windows get their annual washing today. We have 19 plus a glass patio door, so I farmed this out from the time we bought the house. Totally worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom