What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since we like to complain about our cable companies I thought that in the interest of fairness that I would relay a good experience today with Comcast.

Our internet cable modem was acting up a few weeks ago... would connect and then disconnect and keep repeating. It was a weekend and I called the 800 number and went through some diagnostics with a support person and they concluded that I should wap out the router. By Monday morning everything seemed to be working fine.. I surmised that perhaps they did something on their end and didn't swap out the router.

Well, over the past few days I began having a somewhat different issue... the private part of the modem would not connect to the internet but the public antenna would... a livable situation but not something that I want in the long run.

So I call the Comcast contact for our HOA and the guys answers on the second ring! No prompts or stuff... an actual human being answering the phone. I explain the situation similar to what I did above and tell him that I want to swap out the modem.. he says no problem... just stop in at the local store at my convenience.

I later go to the store... about 10 minutes from my condo... by luck I am first in line and a rep standing right there says she can help me and leads me over to a kiosk... I explain the situation, she looks up my account from the old router, prints out a sheet for me to sign for the new one, hands me the new router and I am out the door in less than 5 minutes!

I get home, install the new router and give it the same SSID and password as the old one and all my devices recognize it automatically! Easy peasy.

Do they rent you the modem/router? I did that for a few months, and one day looked at my bill and told myself it would cheaper in the long run to buy my own.

Got one on Amazon for $50. I think the rental was $10/month or something.

I rent it as you did.... I did look into one but for a router similar to what I was renting it was a lot more than $50.... can you post a link to the one you use?

The nice thing about renting is if I have problems they would inevitable claim that the problem is with my equipment and if the modem goes kaput after 4 months like this one did then I have a hassle on my hands, but I can see that it would save $$ in the long run.

Last edited:
Previously, my ISP was Cox, a cable company. So, I bought just a generic DOCSIS modem, and a generic WiFi router. Each was about $70. When I changed to Centurylink which is the local phone company, they rented me a combined DSL modem/WiFi router. I was able to find the exact model on Amazon. After setting it up to make sure it worked, I called Centurylink to return their unit.

The low price of $50 was because it was used. Strangely, I could not find new units with that model. Maybe it's a model specifically made for Centurylink. But then, how does this outfit have them?

By the way, with the cable modem I had to call Cox to give them info on the modem so they would let it on their network. With the DSL, I did not have to.

PS. They now have fancy high-bandwidth WiFi routers that can cost $300. But is there any reason to use a router that is much faster than the download speed of the modem?

Last edited:
Moved that picnic (grillin') table out to the deck after the third coat of paint dried and the rain stopped. Put that big battery that powers the LED 'grillin' light back on and moved the new gas grill in between the table and the big green egg.

32924191932_759a5e9098_z.jpg

Gettin' ready for spring. Gonna gas me a NY prime for supper - :)

In our winter condo we are on the second floor and cannot have an open flame... so not charcoal or gas grills allowed. We do a lot of grilling at home so I was bummed.

Tried a cast iron frying pan with grill ridges on the electric stove... it was ok but not great. Then I bought a George Forman electric grill at a yard sale for ~$25... it has taken me a while to get used to it but it actually grills pretty good. I did some boneless pork ribs on it tonight and they came out almost as good as they would have on my Weber at home... who'd have thunk it... not me!

49138999_Alt02

I rent it as you did.... I did look into one but for a router similar to what I was renting it was a lot more than $50.... can you post a link to the one you use?

The nice thing about renting is if I have problems they would inevitable claim that the problem is with my equipment and if the modem goes kaput after 4 months like this one did then I have a hassle on my hands, but I can see that it would save $$ in the long run.

Comcast has a page that lists approved routers. I searched all of them on Amazon and eBay. Found a new one for $79.00, it was delivered the next day and worked like a charm. Just hit the break even point this month (saving $10 a month by not renting the box), and now they are upgrading our HOA service and our boxes.

Yesterday we went to Good Will and then to the dump because Frank is decluttering. I did so much decluttering before my move in July of 2015, that I don't need to declutter yet. But someday, I will.

Last night I could hear the bands marching half a block away in a parade. There are parades every night and most days between now and Mardi Gras on Tuesday, and then things will settle down.

I went skiing at Copper Mountain yesterday. Skied with a cousin of the late DW. The ski conditions were great. We like the smooth, steep, well groomed runs. The weather was less so. It was quite cold, snowing, and somewhat windy. I will go again tomorrow. Hoping for a sunny day.

Been spending most of my days trying to get my old VW back together. Started a complete frame-off restoration last summer, now my friend who owns the shop behind his house says he's putting his house up for sale in April. So gotta finish up the body - which was in halves - paint and get everything assembled. Tons of cutting, welding, painting and sanding. At least the engine's already done.

Just finished making golabki, aka rolled cabbage. My wife texted my son, asking if he wanted to come for dinner. "Sure!" was the reply. My children are crazy about some of the things we make.

Now sipping some red wine, waiting for the golabki to bake in the oven. Life is so darn good, I don't know how it can be better (but I still want to have more money).

Spent today out and about test driving SUVs. I'm amazed at the difference between Honda and Toyota in the CR-V versus Rav4. I was really expecting more of an apples to apples comparison between trim levels. The CR-V wins hands-down across everything offered, and offers more for the price.

I'm working the numbers now to see if I want to try to go buy a new car before the end of the month, see if I can help make someone's quota, if they give me the proper incentive.

When youngest DD moved, I told her she should buy rather than rent their Modem. She had Comcast, so I looked on-line for their recc list of modems, and this one was on it (at the time):

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product...0_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=00B8MY8FKZTCY61TYCMN

It's only $40 now (she already had a WL router). Was no problem getting it set up. I told her to plug her computer in wired first to get the initial connection, and then try the WL router. All went well. Ahhh, one little speed-bump - when she hooked up her router, she couldn't see the internet - turns out she needed to clone the MAC address from her Ethernet MAC on the MacBook that she first authenticated with, to the router (this is easy to do, even thought it sounds all geeky).

-ERD50

Our provider changed to the rental of the modem just a few years ago. The biggest issue was whether there was a landline or not, but since we only have cell phones, we got a great modem and router that paid for themselves within a year and half. Brighthouse wanted $5/month just to rent the modem and I forget what for the wireless router. Screw that, when I can get a great Arris or Asus modem and router on Amazon for not too bad a price.

I tend to be something of a tech geek, so I splurge on these kinds of things. I got an Arris modem and an Asus modem that let me do all kinds of fancy moderation that let me limit the number of connected devices, and setting of different levels of allowable access. But even a basic model for the modem and router (if needed) sure beat the cost of renting in a fairly short period if time.

Probably obvious, but I'm about 8 ounces deep into some Jim Beam Maple Bourbon, so oversharing is bound to happen.

P.S. I love you all. :flowers:

Had a 9AM appointment with a gal who's replacing our existing water filter with one she supports. Spent less on the replacement system then on replacing the existing filters.

In the afternoon the fellow who does DirectTv support in the area came by and we hooked up our 4ktv. Took forever with Direct TV but he was an interesting person to talk with.

Overall no real surprises, great picture, limited content.

Spent 6 hours today as an AARP Tax volunteer for low income and senior people. Learned some interesting stuff as far as EIC and disability payments

Hermit >>> you building that house yourself?

I have entered a new phase of my life.... Chauffeur. Up till now I've managed to skip half the driving to kids stuff by buying them bus passes. Unfortunately, older son decided to get on the swim team. Since I send the kids to a magnet school that is 10 miles south of us... this means even more driving... The pool the school uses is another 4 miles south of school. There is HORRIBLE traffic around the time practice ends. It's also in a... er... how to put this delicately... sketchy neighborhood. But the good news is that it's only 4 blocks from the BEST tamales to be found in San Diego.

Fortunately, I found another mom who is splitting the drive *to* swim practice from school.

Tomorrow I drive and the kids get out early - so we're stopping for tamales before practice. Somehow 2 extra kids "suddenly" need a ride tomorrow. LOL.

Today was pretty scary - pouring rain - many accidents - took almost an hour to go the 14 miles between home and the pool.

Maybe I need to reconsider when my son gets his license.... He hasn't shown a huge degree of spacial awareness so I've been delaying/discouraging .... but this driving in rush hour traffic is going to get old quick.

Started my last week of w*rk by going on a business trip. Six hour trip in a car with four others. Nothing but work talk the entire drive. Only consolation was its the last time. Four beers plus wine with expensive dinner made up for it a little bit, and tomorrow is my birthday to be spent in a meeting all day followed by the drive back.

Come ON Friday!!

There is HORRIBLE traffic around the time practice ends. It's also in a... er... how to put this delicately... sketchy neighborhood. But the good news is that it's only 4 blocks from the BEST tamales to be found in San Diego.

Ah, good to know the old home town hasn't changed much in the last decade. :LOL:

Today I've been pitting dealership against dealership in the ultimate showdown of ultimate destiny. It's wonderfully convenient to be able to just forward e-mails of the current lowest offer to all competing parties.

I'm trying to convince myself to make the hour drive to the circle of dealerships and test out other models of SUVs from Subaru, Hyundai, Lexus, Acura, Mazda, Chevy and Ford, but that long of a drive is just so physically demanding.

I also got my checklist from the doctor's office for the battery of tests I need done before my total knee replacement. They forgot to add that a very nice bottle of something fermented should be included while coming to terms with something so severe, but I made sure to pencil it in. :D

Been spending most of my days trying to get my old VW back together. Started a complete frame-off restoration last summer, now my friend who owns the shop behind his house says he's putting his house up for sale in April. So gotta finish up the body - which was in halves - paint and get everything assembled. Tons of cutting, welding, painting and sanding. At least the engine's already done.

I'm working on a 71 Beetle, but not doing a frame off restoration. It was partially restored a few years ago and I am finishing what was not done and what was done wrong. Today, I started the job of replacing the shift rod bushing and transmission coupler (Ugh!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom