What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
I checked my garden today and I have zucchini baby flowers. So it's safe to say I will get zucchini in a few weeks. This plant looks very healthy. The only thing is I don't really squash or zucchini, my husband likes them. I did ask him to pick just one. But he didn't understand me and he brought home 6 more plants. Yikes!

You simply MUST try Blue Bell Cherry Vanilla. It's so much better than it sounds like it will be. :D I am so glad that BestWifeEver has tried it and likes it too. She KNOWS. :D

Sadly, one the the curses of being a Yankee is that without driving south for several hours I have no local access to Blue Bell Ice Cream. Of course it can be ordered online but the shipping charges make that a bit pricey so I'll pass.

Other than that bit of research, all I did was go to the gym today. Berries and whipped cream for lunch. Yum.

Mounted all the heavy transformers to the chassis;

33283351260_8bf6474e4e_z.jpg

I am not into tubes (have not played with them for many years now), but look this amp up out of curiosity. Power of 60W per channel is very respectable. Most of the cost is in the transformers nowadays. They are probably wound by hand now. On youtube, there are several guys showing how to make vacuum tubes by hand. Oh man, that's too much!

I checked my garden today and I have zucchini baby flowers. So it's safe to say I will get zucchini in a few weeks. This plant looks very healthy. The only thing is I don't really squash or zucchini, my husband likes them. I did ask him to pick just one. But he didn't understand me and he brought home 6 more plants. Yikes!

I had two zucchini plants last year that bloomed from July-October (this is Texas) but not a single zucchini ever appeared. Hope yours don't have the same curse.

Ever tried hiding it in zucchini bread? Yummy!

Yesterday- put a second coat of shellac on a shelf unit to hold the components our TV- finally feeling well enough to have some shop time. I'm 4 weeks past the end of my chemo/radiation treatments so most of the bad stuff out of my body finally! CT scan on Thursday to see if it all worked as planned and if so, set for surgery to remove the tumor on my esophagus a week from tomorrow- will reconfigure the stomach to fill in the gap so will be some major changes in eating habits if it works as planned but will at least be around to eat!

I have two friends who have had throat Cancer both with extensive surgery ,chemo & radiation both are doing well . One is 25 years post surgery and one is 12 years post surgery . I hope you beat their records !

I wish DaveMartin well too. Hope he will keep us posted on that 2nd place he bought near a river. Have not seen an update on it, or perhaps I missed it.

Sadly, one the the curses of being a Yankee is that without driving south for several hours I have no local access to Blue Bell Ice Cream. Of course it can be ordered online but the shipping charges make that a bit pricey so I'll pass.

Other than that bit of research, all I did was go to the gym today. Berries and whipped cream for lunch. Yum.

Sorry to hear that! I thought that by now, Blue Bell must surely be all over the country. Oh well. Betcha it will be in your local supermarkets within just a few years.

Today I went grocery shopping for soft foods, in preparation for my dental surgery on Thursday. For a moment, I did not see Blue Bell Cherry Vanilla! I was about to dial 911 but then I saw that they had it hidden off to the side so I grabbed a couple of pints. Also got various other soft, smooth foods like pudding, soup, eggs, and ingredients for smoothies. I think my Vitamix is going to get quite a workout later this week.

I had two zucchini plants last year that bloomed from July-October (this is Texas) but not a single zucchini ever appeared. Hope yours don't have the same curse.

Ever tried hiding it in zucchini bread? Yummy!
I always have too many. I play bee, I pollinate them by hands, I leave nothing to chances. I have tried zucchini bread before but I don't like them as much.
I may give them away to my kid or her business partner.

I always have too many. I play bee, I pollinate them by hands, I leave nothing to chances. I have tried zucchini bread before but I don't like them as much.
I may give them away to my kid or her business partner.

Squash blossoms are the bomb. Stuff with cheese, egg wash, roll in seasoned breadcrumbs and fry them. Wonderful!

Squash blossoms are the bomb. Stuff with cheese, egg wash, roll in seasoned breadcrumbs and fry them. Wonderful!
I might try that. I also bought 6 Cinderella pumpkin plants. I don't know if I have room for all 6. Maybe I try the same with pumpkin blossoms.

We have been watching a drama called Ordinary Lies that is airing on one of the PBS stations here in Chicago. It is about a car dealership in England where each episode involves one employee's lie and what it leads to. They are not very big lies but the show is quite unsettling as the character tries to evade the results and makes the lies more complicated. The first episode involved a slacker of a salesman who said his wife had died to keep from being fired. The one we just saw was about an employee who was a reformed gambler but had debts piling up and a high-risk pregnant wife.

Our neighbors from MO. stopped by. We had a lovely time and visit.
They had posted about how close the tornado had come to our old neighborhood but it was a vague description.

OMG I am so glad my DW didn't experience it. The house a quarter mile from us was destroyed, it took out a large garage a little further down the road. It damaged or destroyed 500 homes in the next town over. Luckily no one was killed.

I took my kid to the local car dealer for replacement of her airbag. She has been worrying about this and I happened to watch TV a few days ago and it was on the news, so one more thing off her list before she sets off to her new job later this year.
Other than that it's very nice weather here and I'm enjoying walking around my garden. I can see my jalapeño pepper seedlings are taking off. Very small growth but still. Same with my super sweet cherry tomato seedlings. They now have 4 leaves and not two. My orange trees have so many blossoms, they smell wonderful, main reason why I planted them. One more apricot tree with lots of blooms. I planted 3 in my small yard. So maybe I will get some dividends this year. Same with the multi variety pluot tree. The garden is buzzing with blooms. Exciting time ahead!

Last edited:
Went for a walk for the first time in quite while, since we finally have some decent weather. Took the camera with me with a macro (close-up) lens and shot some blossoms, I think they're cherry blossoms, on a tree near the entrance to the development. The images with the dark backgrounds were lighted with a couple of strobes mounted on the lens.

Attachments

• Cherry blossoms (1 of 4).jpg
    Cherry blossoms (1 of 4).jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Cherry blossoms (2 of 4).jpg
    Cherry blossoms (2 of 4).jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Cherry blossoms (3 of 4).jpg
    Cherry blossoms (3 of 4).jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Cherry blossoms (4 of 4).jpg
    Cherry blossoms (4 of 4).jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 23
Flying home after spending five wonderful days with our newborn grandson. What a great experience and I miss him already.

Anybody here like Tillamook ice cream? We don't have it in the Midwest, however they do have out in Southern Utah. While we were snowbirding and shopping in the local Albertsons they had a coupon special 4 cartons....the round ones for 12 bucks.

Couldn't resist, we had some of the best ice cream ever..we were there for over a month and managed to get through all 4 cartons. Malted Moo Shake , Hazelnut and Salted Caramel YUM!

Tillamook is the best, I think!
Spent part of this afternoon working on DD wedding plans.

This would be even more exciting:

[-]Eluded[/-] Caught a rattlesnake while hiking, hung out at the pool, grilled [-]a steak[/-] above snake, and watched the Blackhawks game

Booked room for my vacation in Aruba. Now gotta see about setting up some diving while I'm out there for me and a friend (friend who has never been diving before). Trying to talk him into getting certified as I have no idea how much/if he can dive out there without a cert.

Booked room for my vacation in Aruba. Now gotta see about setting up some diving while I'm out there for me and a friend (friend who has never been diving before). Trying to talk him into getting certified as I have no idea how much/if he can dive out there without a cert.
He will have to get a cert...but they have the 'short class' that will let him dive 40' or less. I think the class is about 3 hours long.

*If* you happen to be renting a house up on the North side (Malmok Beach or so) then do NOT EVER leave the doors unlocked...even when you are there. We had an unwelcome visitor try and break in to the house we were in and the police told us that the entire north beach areas are prone to break ins (higher end homes that are often empty but our robber tried to break in when there two cars in the driveway). And of course the tourism folks don't tell you that!

... our robber tried to break in when there two cars in the driveway). And of course the tourism folks don't tell you that!

That's a true robber instead of a burglar!

And that is scary, because he could jump you as you walked to/from your car. Even if I had my 357 with me and had it drawn, I would still be scared. :nonono:

This would be even more exciting:

No way I was going to try to catch this rattlesnake. He was hunkered down in the rocks. Plus tv news anchor said that it costs $225k in medical expenses to recover from a rattlesnake bite. That expense is not in my retirement plan.

Attachments

• IMG_4421.JPG
    IMG_4421.JPG
    491 KB · Views: 29
A restaurant near me used to offer fried rattlesnake in its menu. One day, when I was ready to try it, went there and found out they did not have it anymore.

Then, I realized that it had a lot of little bones, and that turned me off. So, have not bothered to look for the dish when I travel.

Ronstar >>> did that rattler tell you he was there? LOL I have had many close calls with rattlers and I need to start wearing my snake guards. In fact I will go right now and put them in my pickup. Lol That expense or death isn't in my retirement plan either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom