What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a new Subaru Outback to replace our 2002 Ford Explorer, which will go to the kids if they want it. Researched cars on the Internet focusing on reliable SUVs with good safety features. Love the Eyesight anti collision features. Got it for a couple hundred under invoice. Took some pushing but they had plenty on their lot, so I knew they'd want to move one. Pick it up later this morning.

How exciting! I have always heard positive things about the Subaru Outback. Hope you can go for a nice long drive today. It's fun to have new wheels.

I remember going to WHA games and seeing the "Hot Line"...Hull, Hedberg, and Nilsson.
Not much of a hockey fan, ("Ever since expansion.....blah blah"), but when I lived in B.C. I did love to watch Pavel Bure playing for the Canucks.

I've heard people in the 70s are the biggest concert goers for the Roling Stones.

That reminds me of a Leonard Cohen concert we attended a few years ago. It was the most geriatric audience I've ever seen. People with walkers struggling up and down the aisles. At 60, I felt like a stripling.

How exciting! I have always heard positive things about the Subaru Outback. Hope you can go for a nice long drive today. It's fun to have new wheels.

Alas, we were hoping to. We went to pay for it and sign the paperwork today, but it had three scratches, a small door dent and was not cleaned to the standard we expected for a new car. We didn't sign anything and told them to either have this one in perfect shape by Tuesday or find an identical one for us from another dealer. Very [emoji17] disappointing.

Bought a new Subaru Outback to replace our 2002 Ford Explorer, which will go to the kids if they want it. Researched cars on the Internet focusing on reliable SUVs with good safety features. Love the Eyesight anti collision features. Got it for a couple hundred under invoice. Took some pushing but they had plenty on their lot, so I knew they'd want to move one. Pick it up later this morning.

Subaru makes great vehicles. I'm the owner of a 2007 Subaru Impreza. I'm "sorta" looking for a new vehicle and have driven a few 2-3 year old newer vehicles that seem nice, but then I get back in my Subaru to drive home and realize that other than some bling and touch screens, it's just as good as the newer ones I just tried out.

Alas, we were hoping to. We went to pay for it and sign the paperwork today, but it had three scratches, a small door dent and was not cleaned to the standard we expected for a new car. We didn't sign anything and told them to either have this one in perfect shape by Tuesday or find an identical one for us from another dealer. Very [emoji17] disappointing.

AAAAGH!!! :banghead: So near, and yet so far. I hope they get this straightened out for you right away.

Spent the day on the river "free boating". The outfitters I paddle with allow the guides to tag along on any trip, so today seven of us hopped on the bus to paddle just for the fun of it. It sure was nice to enjoy the river without any responsibility ( other than what we owe to each other as fellow human beings).

I'll probably be a bit stiff tomorrow but at least I'm on the path to getting back into river shape.

Today, I started some more seedlings for more water melon seeds. Out of the one batch of old seeds I did, only one emerged. I also started on the third container bed for strawberries. This way, I will guarantee some organic strawberries per day.
We also went out to look at these huge houses with big lots. It was near the avocado groves. The house models were nearly done but not decorated. These houses are big in size but really add nothing in value. Just some extra spaces, mostly useless, somewhere. Not in the areas of interest. But the key thing is the great room and the kitchen is no bigger than ours. The only reason for moving is bigger lot and 4-car garage. So that's not going to happen. Plus it has very bad walk score. No Master bed in the first floor. I guess they don't expect retiree to move up.
My husband and I saw a few young men, like in their 30s, who want to buy these houses. Who said millennium are still living with in their parents basement. Well not around here. So that's encouraging.

Last edited:
This morning, after the daily walk, continued to work to tweak and improve the drip watering system for DW's plants and vegetable. Then, went with her to get some grocery.

In the afternoon, while she was preparing dinner, had the urge for a gin tonic. Out of Bombay Sapphire. Arghh! Had to make a run to Total Wine, which sells it for a few pennies more than Costco but is a lot quicker to get in/out of.

Now, sipping said drink while surfin' the Web and staying out of the 98F (36C) hot sun. Oh man, summer is really here.

Last edited:
We usually go on Mondays. However, DW suddenly had the craving for something that she ran out of ingredients to make it. So, we had to go.

We usually go on Mondays. However, DW suddenly had the craving for something that she ran out of ingredients to make it. So, we had to go.
:LOL:
Do you go on Monday mornings or afternoons?
Just wondering if the supermarkets use Mondays to replenish so you get fresher produce on Tuesdays?

Most stores here get refills throughout the week, but there's one that we frequent having deliveries on Monday morning. And we usually wait till past rush hour, so it works out.

Taught the last class for the semester on Friday. Currently bracing myself for 126 short stories to hit my in-box by mid-night on Thursday - all to be read and graded within two weeks.

It's like being back in the work force (minus the salary).

Big day yesterday. The off road club had its annual kickoff meeting during the day. I won a door prize - a set of emergency ramps that go under the tires when you get stuck in sand, mud, or snow. Last night was the annual gala and silent auction for the kid's camp. My daughter does most of the work putting this event on. The dinner was professionally catered and everything was very nice. Had a great time, but getting up this morning was way later than normal.

Our 18 month old 2016 Outback Limited passed 23k miles on our trip back north last week.... we love it... good, solid reliable vehicle... IMO a great value for the money. When we bought ours they could hardly keep them in the lot.. we ended up ordering our so we could get exactly what we wanted.

About a month ago I got a call from the dealership... they could put me in a new 2017 for the same payment!!! I told them that I started with 60 payments and now only had 43 payments... I told them if they could put me in new one just like mine for 45 payments that they had a deal. They said they couldn't do that... I would have 60 payments again. I told them that their pitch was a rip-off, I was disappointed that they would rip-off their customers that way and that they should lose my phone number.

I guess that I am sensitive to pitches like that because a good friend who is NOT very financially savvy fell for a deal like that.... he went to the stealership for an oil change and was convinced to trade his low mileage cream-puff truck for a new one... he thought that he got a great deal because his payment was $10 lower... bragging like he took them to the cleaners. I asked him how many payments he had left on his old loan and he told me... I then asked him how many payments he had on the new loan... as he was thinking about it you could literally see the light bulb go off in his head when he realized that he now had many more payments to make. He still has that truck all these years later and it is paid off.

Last edited:
Had coffee early with a friend and former colleague I have been doing some contract work for. He pitched me on the idea of a full time spot that is being created at his shop that I would have a very hard time saying no to, at least for a few years. All the stuff I like doing the most in a small organization and likely a ton of money. ....

Any way they could make that new role 4 days a week for 80% of full-time pay? Might be a win-win. I worked for many years towards the end of my career less than full-time... in our firm everything was just a % of FTE... so my vacation pay was 80% of an FTE, etc. Only thing that was different was health insurance... that was the same for everyone from 50% to 100% and nothing for those less than 50%.

Our 18 month old 2016 Outback Limited passed 23k miles on our trip back north last week.... we love it... good, solid reliable vehicle... IMO a great value for the money. When we bought ours they could hardly keep them in the lot.. we ended up ordering our so we could get exactly what we wanted.

About a month ago I got a call from the dealership... they could put me in a new 2017 for the same payment!!! I told them that I started with 60 payments and now only had 43 payments... I told them if they could put me in new one just like mine for 45 payments that they had a deal. They said they couldn't do that... I would have 60 payments again. I told them that their pitch was a rip-off, I was disappointed that they would rip-off their customers that way and that they should lose my phone number.

I guess that I am sensitive to pitches like that because a good friend who is NOT very financially savvy fell for a deal like that.... he went to the stealership for an oil change and was convinced to trade his low mileage cream-puff truck for a new one... he thought that he got a great deal because his payment was $10 lower... bragging like he took them to the cleaners. I asked him how many payments he had left on his old loan and he told me... I then asked him how many payments he had on the new loan... as he was thinking about it you could literally see the light bulb go off in his head when he realized that he now had many more payments to make. He still has that truck all these years later and it is paid off.

Four and a half years after buying a new Honda CRV, and a year and a half after paying off my 0.99% loan, I still regularly get letters from Honda suggesting I trade in and "decrease my payment".

Maybe in 10 years?

I guess that I am sensitive to pitches like that because a good friend who is NOT very financially savvy fell for a deal like that.... he went to the stealership for an oil change and was convinced to trade his low mileage cream-puff truck for a new one... he thought that he got a great deal because his payment was $10 lower... bragging like he took them to the cleaners.

That describes one SIL in the family. All she thinks about is the monthly payment, not giving a thought to how many payments over the years. I rather doubt she's kept a car long enough to wear out the original tires.:facepalm:

We are trying to add 2 more Asian fruit trees to our garden. We've reached real hard core limitations here. I decided to swap out 2 Asian pears which have not done anything for 3 years. Still a twig after all these years. I guess sometime I fantasize about growing all these fruit trees here but maybe I don't have the climate. I'm also glad I decided not to buy French Mirabelle plum, the name sounds great but it doesn't really grow here. Let's hope the green gage plum trees don't turn out the same way as the Asian pears.

Last edited:
Up this morning and made pecan waffles for DW. We had decided to play hooky from our church choir today since a small group was singing the anthem so we continued our church choir shopping and visited a nearby Episcopal church. Their choir was better than average so we may need to figure out a way to make a second visit. Then dropped DW off to get a haircut, she is also getting her nails done and a massage. Left the car with DW and took the bus home. Mowed the lawn and planted a few perennials. Am getting ready to hop on the bike and go get DW because she no longer has any confidence in her ability to drive.

Sitting on the lanai in Maui, enjoying coffee and the song birds. Thoroughly loving retirement!����

After church, I went to a local nursery to look at trees. I'd like a small-ish tree for my front yard. I think I've settled on an Autumn Brilliance Serviceberry, although a Japanese Tree Lilac is also a strong contender. It was lovely to stroll around the nursery and see so much plant life after our long winter.

We went out for lunch, as we always do. I had spinach manicotti, since it isn't too challenging to chew. That doggone tooth is still bothering me with intermittent pain. I ate my spinach manicotti in comfort, and then in the car on the way home got a toothache that nearly took the top of my head off for a half hour or so. This was even AFTER a root canal that didn't stop the intermittent episodes of pain, and AFTER that same tooth was extracted and an implant put in (last month). How can this be with no tooth even there any more?

Guess I'll go back to the dentist tomorrow. :peace:Tell me I don't feel like a lunatic with a story like this to tell him. :duh: Thank goodness I have had the same dentist since 1999, so by now he knows I don't make up wild stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom