What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband and I went to his doctor, checking on his last blood work. Surprising he managed to reduce his triglycerides down to very normal. It was high or borderline high before. I think the low carb diet must have worked. It also shows he has no thyroid problem which I suspect he may have because of his intolerance to cold weather. But apparently all those years of eating fresh turmeric must have helped. He was told to go check up with a urology, slightly high PSA, could be false positive also. But at least he has to check now, can't ignore it.

Afterwards he went to the burger joint by himself and I went for 2 hours massage, this is my pre holiday massage, to get me in a better mood before my kids come home.

When I came home I saw a huge snap chat, because it's on the huge iPad, of a big check or contract, my oldest child won. It was almost somebody's salary for the whole year. Glad to see this kid making forward progress on her business. All I can think of is if she can put half of this money in her SEP IRA that would be dandy, but I know she has other expense. So can't wait to hear all about it this weekend. Both kids will be home.

I did some work from home this morning. My DH and I met my brother for a fun lunch. Then I had a housewarming party to stop by for my friend's son. I was able to run a few errands on the way and see my folks.

My husband turned 62 on Sunday. Today we celebrated in Epcot and Hollywood Studios and at the Boardwalk.
My husband turned 62 this week. We celebrated by running over to a Federal Wildlife Refuge and buying him his Golden Eagle Senior Pass for $10!!

I applied for Social Security Retirement benefits online today. I am affected by WEP. It looks like I will be getting a whopping $90.00 per month. I could have waited to FRA in 22 months, but it would have only been $12.00 per month higher.

Yesterday, spent time with DS, DIL, and grandson. Today is a beautiful sunny day and I am heading out to work in the garden.

Nice day today...did some yard work and helped my neighbor cut down a dead tree bordering our properties.

A barbeque at a friend's place was cancelled due to a family matter, so I'm now going to spend the evening learning a few more songs in preparation for an upcoming audition for a Tom Petty tribute band.

I did a lot of work in the garden regarding transplanting new meeting melon seedlings. I have too many now. Second daughter came back at around lunch time so we went out to eat at her favorite place and then stop by a French cafe for dessert and coffee. Now I'm resting before gathering enough energy to go look for my tax receipt from U.K. We need to claim the money they owe us.
EDIT to say I found it. Hurray! It pays to be organized. I thought I was too much of a lazy bum lately. I mean I've been so disorganized lately.

Last edited:
We saw this:.
20170527_165126.jpg

Beautiful scenery! But is that a bear? :eek:
Thank you, we love it here.

Yes, thats a bear(and how did you rotate the photo?) It's a "black bear" but unfortunately it's coat is yellow/brown making it look much like a grizzly bear.

It sacred me thinking it was a grizzly, in our back yard, but a black bear won't be able to eat us, at least both of us!

Joking aside I do have to tell the HOA and a neighbor. The neighbors 90 yo mother saw the bear on the back porch, she told them it was a "brown" bear(grizzly) and they're thinking mom's losing her stuff. She's not, its a yellow/brown "black bear". Sucks for the bear, people are afraid of it before they get to know it.

I'd be scared of it, whether it was black, brown, or yellow! I hope it isn't aggressive.

It's easy to rotate photos using software. The software I used is too old to buy any more, but I checked and MS Paint (that comes free with Windows) can rotate photos too.

Last edited:
Dropped my son and family off at the airport this morning. One of those bittersweet moments in life. They spent 3 weeks with us and we finally met our grandson. :)

Last edited:
I'd be scared of it, whether it was black, brown, or yellow! I hope it isn't aggressive.

It's easy to rotate photos using software. The software I used is too old to buy any more, but I checked and MS Paint (that comes free with Windows) can rotate photos too.
Thanks.

Black bears aren't known to be aggressive, unless you get between mom and her cubs. Grizzly bears are agressive. We're having to make sure our dogs are safe too. This is changing their ability to hang outside unsupervised.

Here's how to tell the difference in bear country:

The National Park Rangers are advising hikers in Glacier National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.
They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.
Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.
It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.
Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.

Not much today, but yesterday we went to a big 60th birthday party for one of DW's cousins that she was close to growing up and we frequently see them at family gatherings throughout the year. As usual there was enough potluck food to feed twice the people that were there.

What normally happens at these events with DW is that she gets so busy yakking with family that she doesn't eat enough, then complains on the way home (1 1/2 hour drive) that she's hungry. I tell her that I have absolutely no sympathy for her!

Bought an anniversary gift for my DW at Costco.com. A sapphire pendant necklace that was $600 cheaper to a comparable necklace at Bluenile.com. She'll be mad at me at first for overspending, but she'll still love it. She has a hard time spending though we can easily afford it. I'll give it to her on a Baltic cruise we'll be on for our anniversary.

Dropped my son and family off at the airport this morning. One of those bittersweet moments in life. They spent 3 weeks with us and we finally met our grandson. :)

Aw!! I am so glad you got to see them in person. Until the next time, maybe you can "visit" on Skype? I know it's not the same but might help, if it is possible to arrange it.

Last edited:
Replaced a 19 year-old ceiling fan with a new Hunter fan advertised as "5 minute installation." Took me two hours...

But those are good fans. I admit that I always hire my handyman to do the installation.

According to HGTV, ceiling fans are outdated. I have them in every room and love them. If I did not already have them, I'd have had my handyman install one in every room.

Not only do the fans help assist the AC in our hot Southern summers, but also I can reach the lightbulbs on a fan "light kit" to change them, without needing to climb on anything to do it. The older I get, the more I appreciate that advantage.

According to HGTV, ceiling fans are outdated. I have them in every room and love them. If I did not already have them, I'd have had my handyman install one in every room.

We like them too. At the time we contracted to have the house built, every ceiling fan mounting box, or extra electrical outlet, phone outlet, cable outlet, etc. was $40 each. I figured they would never be cheaper than that so we loaded them up every place we thought we might want one in the future. We have ceiling fans in every bedroom, the family room, and the screened-in back porch.

I'll have a ceiling fan at the top of the cathedral ceiling in the living room. Without the fan, the wood stove would mostly only heat the ceiling area. I'm sure it will take more than 2 hours to erect scaffolding to get up there, install the fan, and take everything back down.

I will install fan supports at all ceiling light fixtures, but I have not decided if I will install fans. I may wait to see how thing work without them.

I tell DS when we visit that he and his little family are always in my heart. Darn, now you made me miss him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom