What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots going on here. We started on our backyard reno. Two year project. So the deck is down and we cut down two clumps of our trees. Then I fell coming down the stairs inside yesterday and rolled my ankle, so I have it elevated now while I am checking out the board. I am planning to take it easy today and hopefully can resume my activities tomorrow.

Glad that you didn't hurt yourself worse than rolling an ankle in a fall down the stairs... scary.... hope your ankle heals quickly.

Glad that you didn't hurt yourself worse than rolling an ankle in a fall down the stairs... scary.... hope your ankle heals quickly.
+1

To make lemonade out of the lemon, in the aftermath of a fall it can help to try to figure out how it might have been prevented. Right now you can probably bounce back pretty easily, but as you probably know it becomes harder to recover from falls as we grow older.

As for what I did yesterday - - I discovered that a house I lived in as a baby and young girl, is now on the market and there are 53 photos of it on realtor dot com. I haven't seen the house for over 50 years, and it is not on Google street view, so it was fun to go over the 53 photos and see what has been done to it over the past half century. It was quite a challenge to even identify which rooms were which, but amazingly the (large) entry hall was exactly the same as it was back in the 1950's. I sent a link to the ad, to my brother. He, unlike me, is an eternal traveler and presently wandering about eastern Europe but was interested as well.

As for what I did yesterday - - I discovered that a house I lived in as a baby and young girl, is now on the market and there are 53 photos of it on realtor dot com. I haven't seen the house for over 50 years, and it is not on Google street view, so it was fun to go over the 53 photos and see what has been done to it over the past half century.

By coincidence, I was looking at the house where I grew up recently. Not on the market, but some info is available on Realtor.com.

My parents bought it for $10K in 1948 and sold it for $65K in 1971.
Last sale was in 2008 for $350K and currently valued at an estimated $459K.

Just boggles my mind since it's a little (1200 sf) wood frame house built in 1925 on a tiny lot not much bigger than the house. Location, location, location!

By coincidence, I was looking at the house where I grew up recently. Not on the market, but some info is available on Realtor.com.

My parents bought it for $10K in 1948 and sold it for $65K in 1971.
Last sale was in 2008 for $350K and currently valued at an estimated $459K.

Just boggles my mind since it's a little (1200 sf) wood frame house built in 1925 on a tiny lot not much bigger than the house. Location, location, location!
It was mind boggling to see what they are asking for my childhood home, as well. It's a nice house on a gated street, but the street is almost completely surrounded by severe urban decay by now. I think someone would have to be nuts to pay very much for it. I guess the asking price can be anything; only the selling price matters. :LOL:

I'm building a subwoofer for my garage stereo.

A dozen or so flights with an R/C powered glider in the back yard this morning. For one reason or another I haven't flown anything for a couple of months, usually because it's too windy or too hot. Too windy now but maybe later it'll calm down.

A dozen or so flights with an R/C powered glider in the back yard this morning. For one reason or another I haven't flown anything for a couple of months, usually because it's too windy or too hot. Too windy now but maybe later it'll calm down.
F has been flying his drone in our back yards, when it is not windy or thunderstorming. Or, as he puts it, he has been practicing crashing his drone. :LOL: I guess it is difficult to fly it at first. I am sure he does at least 100x better at it than I would.

Thank you, I am getting around pretty well, but I just looked and it is swollen so back to ice and elevation.

+1

To make lemonade out of the lemon, in the aftermath of a fall it can help to try to figure out how it might have been prevented. Right now you can probably bounce back pretty easily, but as you probably know it becomes harder to recover from falls as we grow older.

As for what I did yesterday - - I discovered that a house I lived in as a baby and young girl, is now on the market and there are 53 photos of it on realtor dot com. I haven't seen the house for over 50 years, and it is not on Google street view, so it was fun to go over the 53 photos and see what has been done to it over the past half century. It was quite a challenge to even identify which rooms were which, but amazingly the (large) entry hall was exactly the same as it was back in the 1950's. I sent a link to the ad, to my brother. He, unlike me, is an eternal traveler and presently wandering about eastern Europe but was interested as well.

Thank you. What I did was dumb. Not holding the handrail and hurrying and then holding on tight to my Mac when I fell. I will be more careful!! My MIL died in a stair fall and I know I have to hold the railing. Always!

I am flying a young girl and her mother back home on an Angel Flight. According to the Airport Manager, she has been under treatment for a number of years.
On the return flight we will be taking a Doberman puppy to a rescue shelter near us for Pilots & Paws.
I was glad we could combine the 2 trips. The only problem was disassembling the dog crate to fit behind the rear seat for the first leg

... but I've added lap swimming to the mix, also... so I swam 24 laps... about 3/4 mile. (I started out with 4 laps a few months ago... so I'm proud that I'm up to 24 laps.).

I also lap swim . I started out at five and I am now up to 50 . My Pulmonary doctor was shocked that I was able to do that many since I have COPD . Not bad for an old broad !:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess this is "what I did the other day," which is get a tooth pulled and an implant. This is my second with the same oral surgeon (who is great), and I couldn't help but recall that last time I was sitting in the chair I was thinking how much better it was getting a tooth extracted than going to w*rk. Seriously.

Two days later and it's still a bit sore but I'm on solid food again.

Today I started cleaning out the basement. There are still boxes unpacked seven years after moving in. It's great to be FIRE and have time for these things. I concentrated on the section where I keep all my brewing stuff since I'm brewing a pale ale tomorrow.

It is a gorgeous day here in central Iowa. I am actually working a full day today (from home) covering the phone for my son's HVAC business as he is traveling on family vacation. Nobody has to know that I am at home in my comfy clothes and he is on the road.

I am also taking care of the two grand dogs. One is a beagle puppy, probably 11 weeks now and so cute.

Went to the Chicago Farmer's Market this morning with my brother, his DW, her niece. An amazing outdoor market, expensive, but I love to go. Then Mexican breakfast (pork belly chilaquiles).

Today I ran FIRECalc and hit 100% for the first time. I still remember the first time I used it, around 10 years ago, and it said 84% - and that was before the recession. :)

I joined the multitudes taking an "every day forever" medication.

It has been fun for years to see a doctor and smile at the nurse's reaction when they look at the sad old fossil and ask "No medications? Really?"

I thought I was going to make it all the way without getting on a maintenance drug, but alas! now I have a daily blood pressure pill. Not a big deal but I'll be trying to avoid any others.

It has been fun for years to see a doctor and smile at the nurse's reaction when they look at the sad old fossil and ask "No medications? Really?"

I thought I was going to make it all the way without getting on a maintenance drug, but alas! now I have a daily blood pressure pill. Not a big deal but I'll be trying to avoid any others.

Welcome to the club. There will be others, resistance is futile.

Went to the Chicago Farmer's Market this morning with my brother, his DW, her niece. An amazing outdoor market, expensive, but I love to go. Then Mexican breakfast (pork belly chilaquiles).

Today I ran FIRECalc and hit 100% for the first time. I still remember the first time I used it, around 10 years ago, and it said 84% - and that was before the recession. :)
Being single gives me the opportunity to use it a different way, since I can adjust my lifestyle without asking anybody about it. Basically I set the percentage, and then let it tell me how much I can spend. :)

Getting older can be helpful. Ten years ago I used to run it for 35 years, at 100%. Now I run it for 25 years :( and at 95%. I guess the reason for the 95% is that I am getting a wee bit more reckless in my old age... :LOL:

I was 61 before they put me on a BP pill. My BP never was all *that* high, but now it is amazing! In July, it averaged 99/66 first thing in the morning. I think this probably is a good thing.

Well, I'm 71 so I had a pretty good run.

I understand the value of avoiding hypertension so I'm actually fairly gruntled about it.

We got rid of two items of furniture. One was a nightstand that belonged to FIL before he passed and we just didn't have the heart to throw away. Finally we gave it to DW's hairdresser, her son is just "launching" to his own place and he will use it.

The other was a Lane cedar "hope chest" that I had inherited from my mother. No one else in the family wanted it and I couldn't bring myself to throw it away. We donated it to the General Adam Stephen Association in Martinsburg, WV for the museum that they maintain there. They will use it to keep period children's clothing in so the kids can play "dress up" in colonial-style clothing during events. Seemed like a good use for it and my mother would have loved to see it used that way.

Helped granddaughter move apartments today. Just got home a bit ago after returning the rental van. It seems we never get one big enough! It was hot, and the new place was a second floor unit. :facepalm:

We got rid of two items of furniture. One was a nightstand that belonged to FIL before he passed and we just didn't have the heart to throw away. Finally we gave it to DW's hairdresser, her son is just "launching" to his own place and he will use it.

The other was a Lane cedar "hope chest" that I had inherited from my mother. No one else in the family wanted it and I couldn't bring myself to throw it away. We donated it to the General Adam Stephen Association in Martinsburg, WV for the museum that they maintain there. They will use it to keep period children's clothing in so the kids can play "dress up" in colonial-style clothing during events. Seemed like a good use for it and my mother would have loved to see it used that way.

Great ways to put unwanted furniture to good use.

DH and I need to find needs like these. We could re-purpose many items that need to get-gone from our home, and that we feel guilt about disposing of. This gives me hope.

I am happy this worked out for you.

I got in a dozen or so flights in the back yard on a UMX (Ultra micro) J-3 Cub before breaking the propeller adapter on a less-than-perfect landing. Fortunately it's a $3 part so I ordered two of them and will be back in the air in a week or so. I ordered this airplane last March but didn't get around to flying it until today. The weather was always bad or I had something else to do, or I was just lazy. Today the weather is great for that with light wind and an overcast sky to keep the glare down.

I posted a glowing review on the product, my example flew great out of the box, it didn't even need any trimming for flight, which is very rare. That's probably more a matter of luck since most reviews mention the need for some trimming or other minor issues. But for the price I think it's a great value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom