What did you do today? 2018 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
After serving as an unpaid advisor/consultant/test driver for DD#2 for the past couple of weeks, I completed my assignment yesterday.

DD wanted to buy a second car (used) as her oldest is turning 16 and starting to drive. She had done her research and knew exactly what year/make/model/color she wanted but was having difficulty finding one in good shape with low miles. She lives in a moderate-sized city of ~100,000 so not only was her selection limited, prices are high due to the local economy (oil boom town). I was recruited to check out cars of interest she found in our area as we have a much larger selection with resulting better pricing.

She did locate one she liked earlier this week and I did a test drive on Thursday. After I gave it my seal of approval, she flew down yesterday and bought it. She will drive it back home tomorrow.

Just got home from DD's wedding rehearsal dinner that included all the "cast", local family, and out of towners. Had a nice time at Buca de Beppo and spent a couple of grand. :D

Now getting ready for the "Big Day" tomorrow evening. :cool:
Have a great day!

This is a big day for me. The kid's camp annual silent auction and dinner is this evening. This is my once-a-year venture into the world of wearing a suit. The event has been moved from a church hall to the Great Wolf Lodge this year (with my encouragement). My DD coordinates this event every year. All I do is act as a backstop if needed. The idea is that the price of the meal covers the venue and the meal so that the proceeds from the auction go to the kid's camp. The only hiccup has been the cost of the wine for the meal and evening, so I am buying the wine for 100+ of my closest friends! (Maybe this should go in the Blow That Dough thread.) It is nice to have a room in the hotel so I don't have to worry about driving home.

Met with a urologist. In the past I was treated for low T, but my new PCP says I don't need it. We've done bloodwork twice, she thinks it's all in my head. Despite the fact I have all the classic symptoms, including being in a year long depression.

He reviewed my symptoms, looked at my labs and confirmed "you have low-T, and will benefit from therapy". He was surprised by the activists I've been forcing myself to do. He promised I'd feel a lot different, I know when I was treated before life was much more enjoyable.

There's two different numbers and she was looking at the wrong one. I'm a little disappointed with her, at least she referred me out, but it took over a year. Given my past experiences with docs who sometimes think they know too much, I'm very suspicious. I had a PCP in 2000, who knew too much, he almost killed me.

After I got home from taking my friend to the oncology clinic yesterday morning, I prepped dinner (grilled marinated top sirloin kabobs with grilled veggies). Then the AT&T tech came and replaced our 8-year old internet router. OMG - I can't believe how much faster everything is! Word to the wise - if you think your internet is slowing down and your router is more than a few years old, either replace it yourself or make a service call. Only downside was realizing how many internet connected devices we have that needed to be updated to connect to the new router - three iPhones, two computers, a tablet, OOMA internet phone service, thermostat, video doorbell, smart light switch. Took about an hour to get everything reconnected. Just realized this morning that I forgot about Alexa!

This morning bought WAY too much at the farmers' market - everything looked SO good. Jumbo lump crab and squid from the fish guy, enormous head of red leaf lettuce, Tuscan kale, first yellow cherry tomatoes of the year, leeks, carrots (forgot I still had several left from last week), cauliflower (purple, gold, and green varieties), basil, red spring onions, baby squash, and eggs. We'll be eating well this week!

It's just started raining and the forecast calls for showers on and off all day, so it'll be an inside day of reading, knitting/TV, and menu planning!

Last edited:
First day back at the gym after a two-week layoff because of the medical issues and resulting exhaustion/fatigue. I took it easy, slowed down on the treadmill, lightened up on the weights, etc. but I'm finally starting to feel most of the way back to normal. Hopefully I won't be too sore tomorrow.

Then out to lunch with DW and a minor grocery run. Surprisingly for a Saturday the store wasn't crowded and the checkouts were well staffed and no lines.

... It's just started raining and the forecast calls for showers on and off all day, so it'll be an inside day of reading, knitting/TV, and menu planning!

We hardly had any rainfall this winter. So, I just thought of checking the level of the lakes and reservoirs here. They are near full!

Wonder how that happens, given that snow fall in the high country was not that great either. I must be missing something.

First day back at the gym after a two-week layoff because of the medical issues and resulting exhaustion/fatigue. I took it easy, slowed down on the treadmill, lightened up on the weights, etc. but I'm finally starting to feel most of the way back to normal. Hopefully I won't be too sore tomorrow.

Then out to lunch with DW and a minor grocery run. Surprisingly for a Saturday the store wasn't crowded and the checkouts were well staffed and no lines.

So glad you felt up to going to the gym, and are starting to feel most of the way back to normal. That is the best news ever. And groceries too? Sounds like you are getting your energy back too.

I had a very busy day outdoors. Got up early and worked to fill a low spot in the lawn with 16 bags of topsoil (40 lbs each) and some grass seed. Uncovered my fig trees from their winter slumber. Bagged some leftover leaves. Dug out several hundred pounds of rock from around the tree stumps that I am having ground down in a week. Tilled and raked smooth my 1200 sqft. community garden plot. I also managed to fit in a trip to Lowes for landscaping fabric and a new hose, and ate lunch out with the young wife. Finally, I went to Town Fair Tire to get a tire leak fixed (I ran over a nail). Now I need a rest.

I had a very busy day outdoors. Got up early and worked to fill a low spot in the lawn with 16 bags of topsoil (40 lbs each) and some grass seed. Uncovered my fig trees from their winter slumber. Bagged some leftover leaves. Dug out several hundred pounds of rock from around the tree stumps that I am having ground down in a week. Tilled and raked smooth my 1200 sqft. community garden plot. I also managed to fit in a trip to Lowes for landscaping fabric and a new hose, and ate lunch out with the young wife. Finally, I went to Town Fair Tire to get a tire leak fixed (I ran over a nail). Now I need a rest.

Nice work Gumby. Take the rest of the day off...

I'm tired just reading your post, Gumby.

So glad you felt up to going to the gym, and are starting to feel most of the way back to normal. That is the best news ever. And groceries too? Sounds like you are getting your energy back too.
Ditto that.
This is one reason I don’t always encourage DW to read posts here. :)

Went out on the river for the first time this year. It was a beautiful day in the gorge, sunny and high 50’s. The water is only 42 degrees so we were all highly motivated to stay upright. It was a successful “dry hair day” for me.

Changed the oil in the old Taurus (DIY), got another bag of dog food and cleaned up the yard.

Met with a urologist. In the past I was treated for low T, but my new PCP says I don't need it. We've done bloodwork twice, she thinks it's all in my head. Despite the fact I have all the classic symptoms, including being in a year long depression.

He reviewed my symptoms, looked at my labs and confirmed "you have low-T, and will benefit from therapy". He was surprised by the activists I've been forcing myself to do. He promised I'd feel a lot different, I know when I was treated before life was much more enjoyable.

There's two different numbers and she was looking at the wrong one. I'm a little disappointed with her, at least she referred me out, but it took over a year. Given my past experiences with docs who sometimes think they know too much, I'm very suspicious. I had a PCP in 2000, who knew too much, he almost killed me.

It seems like now you have to be skeptical and persistent about everything. Applause for you for doing it. I think retirement allows more time to be deliberate and thoughtful, also more time to follow up on things.

Finally a beautiful spring day here in Iowa. Everything that grows is behind this year. I am staying with my three grandkids while their mom and dad are in DC for a work trip. Right now, everyone is in school, so very peaceful. Later we are going to walk the dogs and make tacos for dinner.

It seems like now you have to be skeptical and persistent about everything. Applause for you for doing it. I think retirement allows more time to be deliberate and thoughtful, also more time to follow up on things.
Agreed.

Being "seasoned" helps too (at least it does for me). I grew up in an environment where the directions from doctors and the like were taken as gospel and not to be questioned.

I can recall as a young man being shocked and embarrassed when my new wife challenged and questioned her doc. She didn't care how many degrees he had.

Now I do the same. Not as aggressively as my wife :), but I ask a lot more questions and don't hesitate to get a second opinion if I still have doubts.

Being "seasoned" helps too (at least it does for me). I grew up in an environment where the directions from doctors and the like were taken as gospel and not to be questioned.

A few months ago I was looking for a new doctor, so I talked with several in "meet & greet" interviews. One of them gave me an answer to one of my questions that was flat wrong, so I delved a little deeper into it with follow-up questions and I cited a large study that contradicted his answer.

His response was "I know there is some contrary information out on the internet, but it's all completely wrong. I read the serious medical literature and I know what I'm talking about."

There was clearly no point in talking any further with him, so I thanked him for his time and got up. He still didn't get the hint, and wouldn't let me out until he had given me the tour of his entire (very typical) office. Maybe it was to show off all the pictures of himself on the walls, posing with local politicians.

:LOL: :facepalm:

Gym day, then drop off DW's Honda for an oil change. And in a giant leap of faith, I took the snow blower out of the garage, drained the fuel, ran the engine dry, and put it in in the shed. Henceforth, snow is hereby forbidden to fall here until next January at the earliest.

Did some yard work in the morning, then after a late lunch DH and I went for a bicycle ride. Since we got a late start and DH is just getting back in the saddle, we only rode for about an hour. I planned the route so we could swing by the university farm market where I bought some pansies for the pot on the front stoop and herbs to plant in an indoor kitchen pot. The basil smells so good!

Washed the truck, yard work with controlled burns, the maiden 2018 kayak outing , and ordered a kayak cockpit cover to keep the bugs and snakes out.

Leaving on Wednesday with my girlfriend on a 800km road trip (each way) to visit her sister for a few days so I gave the car a good cleaning inside and out, and made sure the fluids and tires were at the proper levels.

I also got some of her favourite CD's and topped up the USB stick that I used to play music in my car. Luckily for me, she has great taste in music...Patsy Cline, Billie Holliday, Aretha, Ella, etc. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom