What did you do today? 2018 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
A simple compression test should tell you one way or the other.

What do you need to power that lead you to such a large generator? Generally unless you run a large air conditioner or a business, 7500 watts or less will do the job.

Not sure if the compression check will be conclusive. Wouldn’t an oil path and a coolant path come together somewhere where the cylinder would not be impacted? Got hold of a guy today that is going to take a look. He doesn’t think it’s the head gasket. Had a couple ideas of tests to see if he could validate the problem. Biggest confusion on my part is that the oil is clean. Seems like if the oil was getting into the coolant, coolant would be in the oil.

Hmmm, my motor home has more than that (8kW). I just did a quick check using Generac's online estimator, and they suggest 16kW for my house.

Yes, 25kw is way big for this house. The generator came with the house. I’m not sure the logic of the previous owner to buy such a large generator. One thing I can say is that being basically a car engine, I runs really quiet. I did an estimate on line, and I came up with 16kw also. I think I could even get by with an 11kw unit. The only reason to go with 16kw would be if the AC started at the same time something else like the freezer did. Cushion for the starting watts needed.

Yesterday I was cleaning the garage and decided to get rid of some extra gym equipment so I put 4 - 45 pound weight plates up for sale on the internet. An hour later I sold all 4 and a guy came by with his wife/GF to pick them up. He paid me and picked up 2 of them to carry to his car, then his wife/GF went to pick one of them up...or so I thought. She picked up both of them effortlessly...90 pounds of weights and she was 5 foot nothing and maybe 100 pounds. :clap:

90 pounds of weights and she was 5 foot nothing and maybe 100 pounds. :clap:

Watch out for small women....lost one to cancer and am now married to another.....don't cross 'em. :)

Watch out for small women....lost one to cancer and am now married to another.....don't cross 'em. :)

I read this somewhere: "No matter how strong you think you are, somewhere a little 14-year old girl is warming up with your max"

Brought home a load of firewood from the camp in my new to me pickup truck.

DW's iPhone 6S was suffering from LBS (low battery syndrome), and couldn't even make it much over 12 hours before needing charging.

Took it in to the Apple store for a new battery, where they told me it would only take 45 minutes to do the job.

An hour later, I came back and they asked me to sit "over there at that table".
Another 15 minutes went by and the guy came out with it and said they replaced the battery but then experienced some problems with the Home button. They put it on their machine and it failed their diagnostics.

I was expecting the worst at that point, but what they did was give me a brand new phone for the cost of the battery ($29).

My suspicion is that the tech doing the battery replacement screwed up somehow so they had no choice, but that's pretty good customer service IMHO.

Even though I’m retired, Sundays still feel like they should be lazy days. Met aunt and cousin for lunch, took aunt shopping, came home, surfed the web, finished a jigsaw puzzle, and now I’m enjoying a delicious homebrew IPA. Life is good.

Called my oldest friend, (his wife was diagnosed with cancer soon after our visit there in late May)....she had just that moment died at home.

Been there, done that, not a club I would have volunteered to be part of. Bummer.

Very sorry, Nemo. My sincere condolences to you both.

Thank you......she was apparently in a lot of pain just before she died, (although she ate a good dinner, that one of their sons cooked, last evening....here one minute, gone the next).

Nemo...
Sad, but happening more often now, at our age. We deal with it, but it brings our own mortality closer. Life becomes more precious but at the same time, more real. Not something way off in the future, but what could happen today or tomorrow.
Being here is a gift. All we can do is make the most of what we have, try to protect those around us and to treasure our memories.

Nemo...
Sad, but happening more often now, at our age. We deal with it, but it brings our own mortality closer. Life becomes more precious but at the same time, more real. Not something way off in the future, but what could happen today or tomorrow.
Being here is a gift. All we can do is make the most of what we have, try to protect those around us and to treasure our memories.

Yes...it's rapidly transitioned from an event that we had halfway accepted would occur 'down the road', to "Is that somebody at the door?"

Called my oldest friend, (his wife was diagnosed with cancer soon after our visit there in late May)....she had just that moment died at home.

Been there, done that, not a club I would have volunteered to be part of. Bummer.

Sorry for the loss of your friend, Nemo.

I used to think that we were too young to have friends and relatives die at around our age. But that age sneaks up on us.

Last edited:
Having a new mattress delivered. Checked out a furniture store, Costco, and the Chicago appliance store Abt. Abt won for price and delivery. I just took the tag off the old one and it says Marshall Fields (moment of silence), which was turned into Macy’s in July 2006. So much of our things were from Marshall Field, including my 40-plus-year-old three speed bike, our living room carpeting, our couch.... This mattress is probably 20 years old and actually isn’t in too bad condition. Great memories of breakfast in bed with the kids in it on birthdays (not to mention the after-hours fun with DH woowoo), so I’m lounging on it with my nostalgia for all things Marshall Field until the Abt guys take it away.

Last edited:
My wifi router became increasingly flaky over the last few months, so I knew it was going. I had a new one sitting near the computer in the unopened box, ready to be put into service. Last evening the old one finally gave up the ghost, so I got the new one out. They really have made setting up a new router a simple process these days!

Within half an hour things were back the way they were, only faster and more reliable. Life is good. :dance:

Had my 5th colonoscopy today. No polyp.

Did not eat anything yesterday. Thought I would eat a lot more now, but just had a normal lunch.

Had my 5th colonoscopy today. No polyp.

Did not eat anything yesterday. Thought I would eat a lot more now, but just had a normal lunch.

Is this your last one? My Doc said he didn't think I would ever need another go at it based on the positive results.

I'll have to ask my wife. I immediately forgot the 1st few minutes after I woke up.

The most recent thing I remembered, I was sitting up fully dressed and asking the nurse if they found any polyp. My wife said it was the 20th time I had asked that. Then, she said the doctor already came out and talked to us. Didn't remember any of that, nor when I put on the clothes myself.

That happened on the 1st colonoscopy, but not on the 2nd, nor the 4th. I was fully awake on the 3rd with no sedation, as it was a sigmoidoscopy. I think it depends on what they use to knock you out. And why they use different drugs, I don't know.

PS. Just read the doctor's written report. No polyp, but diverticulosis found. Colonoscopy in 5 years.

PPS. What is used for anesthesia: Fentanyl 100 microgram, Midazolam 5 mg, both through IV.

Last edited:
I'll have to ask my wife. I immediately forgot the 1st few minutes after I woke up.

The most recent thing I remembered, I was sitting up fully dressed and asking the nurse if they found any polyp. My wife said it was the 20th time I had asked that. Then, she said the doctor already came out and talked to us. Didn't remember any of that, nor when I put on the clothes myself.

That happened on the 1st colonoscopy, but not on the 2nd, nor the 4th. I was fully awake on the 3rd with no sedation, as it was a sigmoidoscopy. I think it depends on what they use to knock you out. And why they use different drugs, I don't know.

You should check as once you are up there a bit, age wise with good results, the Doc's see no need to look again as colon cancer progresses very slowly and you will probably die of something else before it gets you.

You should check as once you are up there a bit, age wise with good results, the Doc's see no need to look again as colon cancer progresses very slowly and you will probably die of something else before it gets you.

Unless you have a family history of colon Cancer ,have had positive polyps or had colon cancer. If you have either of these they recommend the scope more often and if clear every five years .

Last edited:
Gym day, then lunch at Ruby Tuesdays with a $5 off coupon, then a grocery run, and since it's 93° outside we're in for the day.

Golfed this morning and washed clothes in the afternoon. Going to meet friends later at a local pub. This place has great burgers so will probably stuff my face with one.

Sulking around the house with a stupid summer cold. Caught during vacation to Mexico City but luckily no symptoms until travel return date. Thought I was ok yesterday (after 48 hours) but guess I overdid it and am miserable today again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom