What did you do today? 2018 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
I checked the bank balance and saw my first SS deposit. As my dear mum says, I am now “on the dole” even if it is only a modest amount. It does cover my Medicare premiums. :)

DW and I filed together and with the same start date. Her pension is still “processing”, whatever that means. Our Cngressional Rep is hot on the trail but nary a peep so far. Good thing we’re not counting on that money.

I checked the bank balance and saw my first SS deposit. As my dear mum says, I am now “on the dole” even if it is only a modest amount.

Ah, but now you get to use that magic phrase "a senior on a fixed income" (said with a slight quaver in the voice and a hopeful look while asking for a discount). :D

Ah, but now you get to use that magic phrase "a senior on a fixed income" (said with a slight quaver in the voice and a hopeful look while asking for a discount). :D

I think Hyman Roth in “The Godfather” described himself something like, “a retired investor living on a fixed income”.

There might be something someone is hiding. ER omerta applies.

braumeister said:

A fixed COLA’d income for sure!

Haven't yet done anything, but today marks thirty years since I left Riyadh and discontinued the drudgery of employment.

Can't say I've missed it. :dance:

Haven't yet done anything, but today marks thirty years since I left Riyadh and discontinued the drudgery of employment.

Can't say I've missed it. :dance:

He he. Reminds me of my own separation from Megacorp. I think it’s fair to say that it was fun while it lasted but neither of us miss the other. :)

On a road trip—snuggled up in a Hampton Inn in W2R’s retirement destination first runner up, the charming Springfield MO (I think the restaurants might be a tad better in New Orleans where you decided to stay!).

On a road trip—snuggled up in a Hampton Inn in W2R’s retirement destination first runner up, the charming Springfield MO (I think the restaurants might be a tad better in New Orleans where you decided to stay!).

I think I stayed at that Hampton Inn. Anywhere from Springfield to Joplin is a good landing spot after a day's drive southwesterly from Chicagoland.

And you're right - NOLA food is better (and far better than any Hampton Inn breakfast)

You can't get Springfield Cashew Chicken in NO.

I checked the bank balance and saw my first SS deposit. As my dear mum says, I am now “on the dole” even if it is only a modest amount. It does cover my Medicare premiums. :)

DW and I filed together and with the same start date. Her pension is still “processing”, whatever that means. Our Cngressional Rep is hot on the trail but nary a peep so far. Good thing we’re not counting on that money.

DW got her 2nd check yesterday and since it goes direct to our savings I simply told her that her uncle sent her money again this month. :LOL:

Ah, I know that Hampton Inn well! Yes, New Orleans restaurants are better (and personally I always thought Springfield Cashew Chicken sounded a little crazy and never ordered it :ROFLMAO: ) but good food or not, Springfield has its own appeal. Have fun and I hope you enjoy the laid back and friendly atmosphere that Springfield has to offer. :)

What have I done today? Nothing yet, other than surfin' this forum.

It's not 11AM yet, and still a bit chilly out in the backyard. From where I sit, I can see that in just a week the sun angle has changed enough that the solar panel array along the back fence is no longer shaded by the peak of the roof of the 2nd story. Lots of power that could be generated if I finished the wiring and installation of the electronics in the shed.

Still a lot of work to do. A DIY home energy storage takes a lot more work than a standard solar installation that simply involves stringing the array together and wiring it into the grid. But I brought it on myself, and will see it to the end. I am getting closer and closer.

Today was awesome. We woke up in "the cloud", snow falling all around us. No visibility this morning and light snow all around us. Only a few inches so far, but it proves mother nature still knows how to snow.

Went to the gym, I had a real problem seeing the road, everything was white. Cloud, road and buildings all covered in bright white snow. DW did better seeing than me, unfortunately she didn't drive.

Our first workout for a week and it wasn't good for me. The vertigo I've had was very aggravated by everything I did. Tried to avoid things that moved my head around but it really wasn't possible.

Went out this afternoon and the roads were being plowed, snow unfortunately let up. Hopefully there's more on the way.

Ah, I know that Hampton Inn well! Yes, New Orleans restaurants are better (and personally I always thought Springfield Cashew Chicken sounded a little crazy and never ordered it :ROFLMAO: ) but good food or not, Springfield has its own appeal. Have fun and I hope you enjoy the laid back and friendly atmosphere that Springfield has to offer. :)
In 1996 I went to South Africa for a fun filled month on Megacorp's dime[emoji22] . My companion for the trip grew up in Springfield, MO., a great guy. We were stuck, mostly alone, but he was a guy you could spend time with and enjoy his company.

In Capetown we ate Chinese, he suggested they serve the dish differently, this chicken with that gravy. He claimed it was Springfield Cashew Chicken. They looked at him kinda funny but I ordered the same thing, it was awesome! A few other people came in and asked what we were eating? They all asked for it too. Pretty soon the entire restaurant had ordered it! That's how SCC came to SA[emoji12] !

Reactions: W2R
Played tennis from 9-10:30. Took lunch to an office at noon. Said my goodbyes....ugh was tough. Home by 1:30. Took daughters dog for a walk. Watched Judge Judy. Played my guitars. Now surfing the web, ordering tennis stuff, with a drink in hand.

Last edited:
I have finally learned the downside of buying a long desired but completely unnecessary (where I live) car – DW has turned me into her personal chauffeur. I'm spending far too much time driving DW (and DD1, DD2) around. :facepalm:

I read on a blog written by a coworker from back in the day about the passing of another coworker, the one that interviewed me and offered me a job with Megacorp, and was my first manager. A good person and nice man. I will never forget the interview. One of the things he told me (with a straight face) was people rarely worked overtime, and when they did, the hours were carefully tracked and given back as free time in subsequent months. When I repeated that as a new hire my coworkers laughed so hard. When I asked him, my manager cracked a very slight smile, then suggested I had misunderstood. :)

Actually, yesterday. Yesterday was a cold rainy day, DW had gone shopping with the grandnieces, and I wanted to play around with the camera and some strobes (Nikon SB-900's, four of them). I'd had some half-baked idea of trying to do something with an ordinary household object so decided to play around with the snowblower out in the garage and try to make it look menacing or at least just strange. The serrations on the the auger have potential, but maybe a macro lens will be better. I'll ponder on that some more. With DW being gone that gave me a few hours and an empty garage bay to play in. Even with no wind that garage got cold real fast so I cut it shorter than I'd intended to. Granted this is a work in progress.

Attachments

• snowblower (2 of 5).jpg
    snowblower (2 of 5).jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 37
  • snowblower (4 of 5).jpg
    snowblower (4 of 5).jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 38
  • snowblower (5 of 5).jpg
    snowblower (5 of 5).jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 37
Took the mutt on an hour walk this morning. While I was gone I let my new Roomba robot vacuum my house. My nephew and his wife got me this for Christmas. What a nice present. With a shedding black lab this thing will make life much easier.

Went to ranch this morning to cut tree that fell down along the creek. I spent 6 hours cutting, cleaning and chunking fire wood. My arms are tired but always feels good to work hard. A great day to be outdoors.

Attachments

• IMG_1318.jpg
    IMG_1318.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
..........Watched Judge Judy. .........
Ha, now this is a dangerous habit. For a while I got in the habit of watching her rain fury down on to the clueless. Do you know that she gets paid $40 million a year for this ? :facepalm:

Installed the SimpliSafe alarm system I bought for myself for Christmas. Took an hour or so and I set the thing off already by forgetting I armed it. :blush:

It's not monitored as of yet as I want to test it out and also let DW get used to it. Hey, now our house full of old TV's, ancient furniture and ratty old desktops are "safe". :LOL:

When I set it off by accident, the dog had a fit! This thing s more fun than I thought! :D

Actually, yesterday. Yesterday was a cold rainy day, DW had gone shopping with the grandnieces, and I wanted to play around with the camera and some strobes (Nikon SB-900's, four of them). I'd had some half-baked idea of trying to do something with an ordinary household object so decided to play around with the snowblower out in the garage and try to make it look menacing or at least just strange. The serrations on the the auger have potential, but maybe a macro lens will be better. I'll ponder on that some more. With DW being gone that gave me a few hours and an empty garage bay to play in. Even with no wind that garage got cold real fast so I cut it shorter than I'd intended to. Granted this is a work in progress.

Cool photos!

IS your DW collecting a spousal benefit, we did the same thing you did and the SS rep cautioned us that my spousal would take longer to process as it cannot be entered into the system properly until my DH get his first payment. He told me not to worry about and I might end up getting paid for two months with my first check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom