What did you do today? - 2022 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got the internet hooked up at our new place in the 93285 after a week here. View from our new porch. :greetings10:

Congrats MC on the move! I remember you being back east.
We *just* drove through last Monday, down the Kern river valley road and across past Palo Alto.
Small world indeed. What a beautiful drive and area.

I am pinned down and running low on coffee at the moment.
PXL-20221130-155913709.jpg

Congrats MC on the move! I remember you being back east....
We *just* drove through last Monday, down the Kern river valley road and across past Palo Alto.
Small world indeed. What a beautiful drive and area.

I am pinned down and running low on coffee at the moment...

Thanks we are loving it here. I'm so glad to leave the big city. But I have lived in Los Angeles for 35 years before this move. I moved there from back east in 1987.

Today I went to the Post Office and filled out a form to let them know we live here, so they will deliver mail. Here I have been checking the box daily and wondering when mail would come. That is a new one on me, and I'm glad the trash service company told me to do it. :LOL:

Had my first conference with the head folks at the skilled nursing facility DW has been in for two weeks after 2+ weeks in the hospital. They gave me a rundown on where she stands on physical, occupational and speech therapy and nursing care.

She's at about 25% of normal for the PT aspects and the big lung infection is starting to heal. She is scheduled to by on an IV (picc line) for the antibiotic until December 26th at the earliest. No home Christmas celebration this year.

What a ride......the Golden Years!

Took DW out for steak lunch at Outback (her choice) for her birthday a day late (also her choice). The lunch was fine and the service was excellent so I tipped accordingly. No plans for the rest of the day.

Just got back from a wonderful weekend in Madison, Wisconsin. Enjoyed Thanksgiving weekend with son and soon-to-be daughter in law. Also youngest daughter … a bad a$$ cardiac ICU nurse … flew in from Ohio to join us. The nurse announced she is entertaining job offers from hospitals in the Boston area, so like a good Dad, I’ll be helping her make the move. Lots of moving parts in our family this year.

Only disappointment this weekend was watching the Madison Badgers melt down late in the fourth quarter against Minnesota.

I took my youngest son to get his driver's permit today. He was supposed to take it this summer and told me to quit reminding him. So i did- and he forgot. I refused to check him out of school to take the test since he had all summer to take care of this. Then last week I forgot the documents he needed from school. [emoji849]. So today was the day. He passed, and did well on our first drive on the backroads near our house afterwards.

The bulk of the needed parts arrived today for BIL's snowblower so I'll be working on that later on. New friction disk, both drive and auger belts, and a set of shear pins (one was broken). Also a spare friction disk since that's a normal wear part anyway.

I also ordered from Amazon a cleanout tool with a mounting bracket to mount it on the "bucket" or front part of the snowblower. If you search on "snowblower injuries" the images are pretty graphic and involve many broken fingers and hand bones, and often amputations. What happens is that if something hard stops the augers such as a rolled-up newspaper, piece of wood, or big chunk of ice, those belts can stretch like rubber bands. Then even if the engine is turned off and you reach in there to clear the obstruction the augers can snap forward as much as 1/4 turn. Ouch!

I can't stand there and make him use a clean-out tool but I can make it as easy and convenient as possible to use one.

Just got back from a wonderful weekend in Madison, Wisconsin. Enjoyed Thanksgiving weekend with son and soon-to-be daughter in law. Also youngest daughter … a bad a$$ cardiac ICU nurse … flew in from Ohio to join us. The nurse announced she is entertaining job offers from hospitals in the Boston area, so like a good Dad, I’ll be helping her make the move. Lots of moving parts in our family this year.

Only disappointment this weekend was watching the Madison Badgers melt down late in the fourth quarter against Minnesota.
Lots of excellent hospitals in the Boston area.
Glad I live less than 2 hrs from there.

Was a beautiful day in paradise so went tree cutting at the ranch. Have numerous trees dead that are standing so went and took one down for firewood. The branches I hauled to the main yard at the ranch to get burned when we get more snow. Soon that area will be locked off from snow depth that will shut down the road access.

I loaded three large loads of cut wood on a sled and pulled up to cabin. Had lunch and the fire I started in morning when I got there felt good. Did some other things around the place and took a short hike. Watched some wildlife and heading home late afternoon.

Got up, watched the rain come down, had coffee, watched the rain come down. Went to the grocery and got food (in the rain) and now watching the rain come down.

Rain in CA is always a good thing - :) Supposed to be raining for 4 days straight!

What happens is that if something hard stops the augers such as a rolled-up newspaper, piece of wood, or big chunk of ice, those belts can stretch like rubber bands. Then even if the engine is turned off and you reach in there to clear the obstruction the augers can snap forward as much as 1/4 turn. Ouch!

Thanks for pointing that out. I don’t think I would ever stick my hand in that area. I have a stick for that. But, I don’t think I would have thought of anything happening if the engine was off. Now I’d think to test to see if there is tension on the auger before I do anything else.

Yesterday was DGD 11th birthday. We were tasked to pickup cake,plates & balloons for the skating party. Her mother & 1 other parent picked up all the girls in her class from school.(private school) so it was only 12 girls from her class,no boys allowed,LOL. It was a hoot to watch some of those girls trying to roller skate for 1st time. She wanted Papa to come skate but I wisely I think, chose to watch. In the late 60's I was on a roller hockey team but the floor is a lot harder and it takes longer to heal now if I were to not be as agile as I was back then. My DW, & DD agreed with my decision. It was a fun night and DGD called me after we got home and thanked us for her gift. I ask her if she had fun and reply was "Greatest Birthday ever"!

Yesterday was DGD 11th birthday. We were tasked to pickup cake,plates & balloons for the skating party. Her mother & 1 other parent picked up all the girls in her class from school.(private school) so it was only 12 girls from her class,no boys allowed,LOL. It was a hoot to watch some of those girls trying to roller skate for 1st time. She wanted Papa to come skate but I wisely I think, chose to watch. In the late 60's I was on a roller hockey team but the floor is a lot harder and it takes longer to heal now if I were to not be as agile as I was back then. My DW, & DD agreed with my decision. It was a fun night and DGD called me after we got home and thanked us for her gift. I ask her if she had fun and reply was "Greatest Birthday ever"!

That was a great gift for her. I bet a lot of screaming and laugher was a part of the party. Lol

Being a step GF to a 5-year-old girl and in February being a GF again to a new baby girl. I'm looking forward to some of those milestone times I can share with them also.

.... and in February being a GF again to a new baby girl. I'm looking forward to some of those milestone times I can share with them also.

I don't know if I just missed it before, but that is great news, street. I'm sure you will be a big part of her life, as you are for her sister's.

I don't know if I just missed it before, but that is great news, street. I'm sure you will be a big part of her life, as you are for her sister's.

Yes, very excited. I sometime think that I'm too old to be a grandfather because I'm not going to be able to be a part of her life longer and to be able to do all the things, I want with her. I will have to make each second count life is going by too fast.

Time with grandkids is the best.
We had dinner last evening with DD, DSiL, and youngest DGS--at three, he is a hoot! He has a developing wonderful sense of humor already :).
Today is decorating day, will get the Christmas decorations done this afternoon, all but the tree. I save that for its own day!

This warms my heart. I loved roller skating as a kid and I was on a speed skating team in the 80s. After wiping out one time, I decided that I needed to be able to work and quit the team. I took two of my granddaughters roller skating when they lived in NC, but I was extremely careful. I need to find where there is a roller skating rink around, because I have never taken my grandson (he was too young). You are right that the floor is now harder, somehow. :LOL:

Yes, very excited. I sometime think that I'm too old to be a grandfather because I'm not going to be able to be a part of her life longer and to be able to do all the things, I want with her. I will have to make each second count life is going by too fast.

Congrats, Street, on the new granddaughter. Every time that we do some activities with our grandchildren, I hope that they will remember us fondly after we are gone. Definitely have to make each second count.

Visited DW in the skilled nursing facility (daily event, anyway) and came home and started an 8-quart pot of my famous (LOL!) Texas Chili. I've had requests for it since it cooled off here a bit.

Now for 8 hours under heat and it will be ready to serve!

Visited DW in the skilled nursing facility (daily event, anyway) and came home and started an 8-quart pot of my famous (LOL!) Texas Chili. I've had requests for it since it cooled off here a bit.

Now for 8 hours under heat and it will be ready to serve!

Man of perseverence. Admire your stick to it iveness.
Been there done that, know what it takes.

I played squegee man, did most of the windows in the house. There is a world out there in living color after all. Next up, figure out how to use shampooer machine to clean up some padded chairs and couch.

Congrats! Yep - make each second count. We don't know how many seconds we have left

Man of perseverence. Admire your stick to it iveness.
Been there done that, know what it takes.

I played squegee man, did most of the windows in the house. There is a world out there in living color after all. Next up, figure out how to use shampooer machine to clean up some padded chairs and couch.

Seeing I am home alone every day for the rest of the month, I cleaned all the carpets and the chairs/couch. We have a carpet cleaner with an upholstery attachment. Once you figure it out, it's a piece of cake. :)

Yesterday I installed the new friction disk in BIL's snowblower, and while not a trivial task (it involves major disassembly of transmission parts) it went easier than I expected. On newer machines they've made this easier but this one is ~23 years old. This morning I took on installing the new belts, and this too went easier/faster than I expected even though it requires splitting the machine in half. But it turns out there are only four bolts holding it together and I only had to remove two of them, merely loosening the other two.

Then I had to readjust everything since the old belts were stretched a little, and some adjustments affected other adjustments, so that game went on for a while. This actually took longer than replacing the belts. Then I refilled the engine with fresh oil, and all that's left is waiting for the cleanout tool to arrive.

Seeing I am home alone every day for the rest of the month, I cleaned all the carpets and the chairs/couch. We have a carpet cleaner with an upholstery attachment. Once you figure it out, it's a piece of cake. :)
In the grand tradition of RTFM, found the instructions on Bissell's website.
Was helpful in that the cleaner could be detached from the rest of the platform. Worked well. Yea, carpets are next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom