What did you do today? - 2022 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the lake kayaking at 0500. Have allergy issues this time of year, so I get on the water early and off by 7. Seems that is when the pollen gets going.

Bike is in the shop so took the car. Went on a couple roads I would not do on the bike.
Visited Mount Gleason and what is left of an old Nike missile base.
Plus a memorial for a couple fire fighters that died in the 2009 Station fire.

Attachments

• Mt Gleason (7).jpg
    Mt Gleason (7).jpg
    728.7 KB · Views: 45
Went and watered new planted trees and some I planted a couple years ago. I repaired some makeshift steps in the hill that goes up to cabin. All the heavy snow this spring and large amount of rain washed and damaged some of the timber steps. I also dug up some saplings from river bottoms and planted in higher ground. I harvested some more asparagus and watered the new planting of asparagus also.

I came home and made a striper for my push lawn mower. It seems to work and will mow later in the week and see what a strip lawn looks like.

Last edited:
Been raining the last couple of days so been just relaxing and putzing around. I been preparing some questions and collecting some data for my tax man to help me come up with a plan going forward. This morning I finished up with those questions and took it down for him to research and review what would be best for tax purposes and give me some avenues to go down as we age.

I have been stalling on doing this just because I really dislike working with my finances.

Went to the dog park. I am so frustrated with dog parks right now.

Koda and I were at the park at Heather Farms and surprised surprise he was playing nice with all the dogs including the pugs. Normally he doesn't like pugs but this time he was just playing and running around with them a little bit of racing. So a small dog comes in, goes right up, and attacks him. The owner looks at me and goes 'she's fine she never bites.' Meanwhile my dog is yelping and trying to run behind me. I get between the 2 of them fending her dog off and protecting mine. Then I open the gate and let Koda run out. I attached the leash in the general area. I then ask her when is she going to be there because I want to come back & if her dog's there I don't feel safe being inside the dog park. She repeats 'she never bites anyone' to which I respond 'well you can't say that anymore' and tell her I'll be there 3 days a week at 8am.

She (aggressive dog owner) should have been the one to leave but I had to come home & put antiseptic on the bite anyway

Worked in my garden this morning. This afternoon, I washed all the downstairs windows, inside and out. I'm tired, so the upstairs can wait until tomorrow.

2nd day in a row that I’ve trapped and relocated a groundhog. And had some time for yard work and woodworking.

Attachments

• 0A3440AB-FFD5-4FB1-A519-2E3589DAD244.jpeg
    0A3440AB-FFD5-4FB1-A519-2E3589DAD244.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 34
Worked 1/2 day at my part-time job, starting to train a new employee. Asked the big boss why he hired said new guy and response was …. “because he showed up to the interview on time”. Now I get to try and bring new guy up-to-speed.

Took off mid-day to hit the gym and then change the oil in the fun wagon (Subaru). If energy holds up I’ll get out for a spin on my gravel bicycle before dinner.

2nd day in a row that I’ve trapped and relocated a groundhog. And had some time for yard work and woodworking.

That is interesting. So, do they live a hole they live on or near your property? I have never seen one in real life. I would believe they would love garden plants and could be a problem in that way.

Went out to the big boat and measured the mast. I'm going to need to shorten it some. Not much, just a little.

Berth entrance height 19 feet 6 inches.

My mast height 19 feet 10 inches.

Don't want to be on YouTube as another "qualified captain" :)

That is interesting. So, do they live a hole they live on or near your property? I have never seen one in real life. I would believe they would love garden plants and could be a problem in that way.

They live out in the woods, I usually have one living under my deck. I leave the trap near the deck and have trapped and relocated several. Most times with no food in the trap. They like to eat plants - I think they ate my new coneflowers. They also gnaw on door trim, so they are nuisances that are good to get rid of.

DW has me release them more than 15 miles from home because she read that they will return. I bring them across a river to release.

They live out in the woods, I usually have one living under my deck. I leave the trap near the deck and have trapped and relocated several. Most times with no food in the trap. They like to eat plants - I think they ate my new coneflowers. They also gnaw on door trim, so they are nuisances that are good to get rid of.

DW has me release them more than 15 miles from home because she read that they will return. I bring them across a river to release.

Interesting! I have had to do that with rabbits, cage them and take them for long ride and release.

.... I would believe they would love garden plants and could be a problem in that way.
Yes, they do like the plants in my garden plot, and if they get in, they'll take a small bite out of many vegetables rather than eat the whole of just one. The only way I found to stop them is to bury about 2 feet of fence underground beneath the present fence - one foot down and one foot out. I suppose I could shoot them, as my FIL did when they kept burrowing under his garden shed, but I'm fairly certain that is not allowed at the community garden.

^ Gumby just did a little research on the difference between a groundhog and a prairie dog. A lot of similarities but groundhog is larger in size.

went to a nearby farm stand and got a flat of strawberries, a fresh pecan pie and some pineapple habenero jelly. Will be seeing DD, DSiL and DGS tomorrow to share the berries and pie.
Our berries just have flowers on so far. The past two years the strawberries and blueberry plants usually bear fruit in July.

Yesterday I went out to the little boat and installed my new gas intake. Three feet south of the defective one and the pickup is a half inch off the bottom of the tank. The tank is 3/4 full, but the north pickup would starve on plane.

Pulled the floor panel, installed the modified sender with the feed and shortened the hose to the filter. Motor started right up. Reinstalled the seats.

River test in the future to make sure, but it's ready to sell after.

busy day digging in a parking garage level of an independent living addition to a big care facility.

My dear mum loves a print newspaper so I took out a subscription to the local South Florida daily, delivered to her doorstep. They increased the price to the point where she was being charged 4x the new subscription rate, so I called. Over a 2:week period I was able to get only 1 person live on the phone, and the best she could say was “if we have a better rate, then take it”. So, I cancelled and resubscribed, at a 75% lower non-promotional rate.

In the week since I cancelled they’ve called me 17 times to resubscribe. I suspect moving a few agents from “please resubscribe” to “how can we keep you” would probably be a revenue boost for them.

Worked 1/2 day at my part-time job, starting to train a new employee. Asked the big boss why he hired said new guy and response was …. “because he showed up to the interview on time”.

Wow. This does not bode well for our future if to get a job all one has to do is show up on time. More and more I'm believing that the movie "Idiocracy" is less a bad comedy than a depressing prophecy. Oh well, not much I can do about it at this point.

Back on topic, since we are forecast to get some heavy rain tomorrow I put down some Ironite fertilizer just to see if it will actually do anything. I tried it once before, which happened to be just before one of the worst droughts in recent memory which wasn't really a fair test. Not surprisingly I didn't see any effect so hopefully this time we'll get the needed rain.

Catching up from an RV long weekend away with family. Today was groceries, laundry, and e-mail. We are in the midst of a brutal heat wave - it's hit 100 every day since Sunday and the same is projected for the next 10 days (as far out as the forecast goes). If that holds, we'll have had more days over 100 than we did all last year. Ugh.

Also spent nearly an hour on hold with my PCP's clinic. Somehow they no longer had me listed with any PCP and he is not taking new patients so I could not make an appointment online. Finally got to the right person to fix it, but he doesn't have an opening until August so they also had to call in an extra refill for my prescription as I'll run out by then. After I hung up I realized I hadn't asked them for the lab orders needed before the appointment. I'll try to do that online. Aargh.

The Dept of Water and Power is offering free AC optimization, so we took advantage of that. We chose from a list of companies, and they Replaced the air filter, topped up the freon, cleaned the coils, and checked it over. We declined the Nest thermostat, the basic unit we have is not old and is complicated enough. The tech said this service would cost about $350, wow. Free sounds a lot better.

Today was bittersweet; we traded the house that has been our home for 28+ years for a big fat check. Then we drove our packed vehicles up to our vacation home in the Poconos, which is now our only home while we wait for the new house to be built.

We’ve got a lot of unpacking and organizing to do. We sold/tossed a lot of things from our home but still filled two 10x10 storage units. Most of our clothes and some household goods had to come with us to the vacation home. We were outfitted well enough to spend one or two week stretches here, but since we actually live here now we wanted some things such as our desktop and my baking tools with us rather than in storage. It will be a few days before we finish organizing.

congrats philliefan.
I did some quick excavating, took the dump truck to the shop and ran to the cardiologist, then returned to finish the job. Then I took the truck to get a nasty noise looked into, and dropped my DOT medical exam off at the Department of Licensing to go with my CDL.
I will do that one more time :)

As promised yesterday, I cleaned all my upstairs windows today. Then I cleaned out the inside of my car and up-potted some jalapeno peppers. In a week or so, I'll take them out to the garden. I also helped my neighbor dig up some spiderworts.

Last edited:
It's been hot. 111F high today. I've been indoors mostly, not being outside much.

I am still undecided on how to expand my solar+battery system. It's too hot to do any actual installation anyhow, so this will have to wait till end of the year. Meanwhile, what do I do?

I am going out now to my liquor cabinet to get myself a stiff drink. I have not had a shot in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom