What did you do today? - 2022 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first 50 feet down are owned by the Denver Water Board here where I live. You have to put in a 50 foot steel pipe that is cemented in place. My well is 280 feet deep and drilled with a drilling rig through decomposed granite. No DIY wells in this area.

Thousands of shallow wells here for livestock and some use it for everything but drinking. A lot use it for drinking and have it tested to do so. Water comes out of the side on hills and mountains here. I don't have one, but most ranches here have artesian wells that come right up out of the ground. A good one next to me and freeze over partially in the winter. A beautiful site on that side on hill.

Tomorrow I will install the pitcher pump and pump the new well. Still haven't had time to get the gas motor gear box rigged up.

Last edited:
A really nice surprise this morning. I have a credit card I only use occasionally, so I don't pay much attention to it. I went to the site to download a statement, and noticed that it was a rewards card, which I had completely forgotten about.

Looked at my rewards balance and it was enough to trade in for a $100 Home Depot gift card! Just like found money, and it certainly made my day. :D

Back from two-day backpacking trip with daughters near Lake Tahoe. Started at Carson Pass and trekked 6 miles up to a small Alpine lake at nine thousand feet.

As we trekked up and out of the lake basin two days later, my tough as nails older daughter says … “on our way out let’s take a side trip and bag the summit of Round Top mountain!” Heard my self say, “sounds good”. Didn’t know Round Top is the highest peak around Lake Tahoe basin.

Ditched the packs half way up and with daughter as the guide hit the summit … 10,381 ft … around noon.

Another good trip. Can’t wait for our next adventure.

Thousands of shallow wells here for livestock and some use it for everything but drinking. A lot use it for drinking and have it tested to do so. Water comes out of the side on hills and mountains here. I don't have one, but most ranches here have artesian wells that come right up out of the ground. A good one next to me and freeze over partially in the winter. A beautiful site on that side on hill.

Tomorrow I will install the pitcher pump and pump the new well. Still haven't had time to get the gas motor gear box rigged up.
The "community" Ranch up here has a spring fed pond that is real nice when it is full. It has been dry for the last five years or so. Any improvements to the spring makes it a well that comes under the state water board jurisdiction and Denver Water Board ownership. Lots of water regulation in the West.

This morning went to install pitcher pump to pump some water and see what I had. The pitcher pump came out of the old homestead cabin. I rebuilt it and worked very well. Things worked well but a lot of work left to do for the finally well operation. Still working on the long handle hand pump that will operate this well with a small gas engine. I just need a cylinder chamber and haven't decided if I want to buy one this season yet.

This is a very remote spot and would like to finish corral first this season and be ready for next. To many things to do and so little time!

The picture tells the story. LOL

Attachments

• IMG_9832.PNG
    IMG_9832.PNG
    845.3 KB · Views: 39
I envy people who have a water table of only 15 ft below the surface.

And being pro-solar, I would have water out the wazoo with an electric pump powered by just 3 or 4 solar panels.

We ordered a new fridge from Costco, it was delivered yesterday. Unfortunately I didn't see a noticeable dent on the front door until after they left as it was hidden behind a stick-on plastic sheet from the manufacturer.

I called Costco and they quickly agreed to replace it but that model is out of stock for about 2 weeks. Unfortunately, I had already taken the doors off the old fridge and moved it to the garage and I don't feel like reversing the process...it's heavy and awkward and barely fits through the door. Luckily I have a smaller fridge in the garage that my friend gave me that we're using for beer and pop that I can move into the house temporarily.

But it's still a pain in the butt.

Yesterday traded the Ducati Monster 1200 for a new Suzuki SV650.
Riding home on the Freeway was not much fun, but I think a real ride tomorrow will be. And it is good to downsize the expense of operation, maintaining, and insurance. :D

Today we just got back from the 85 mile boat ride, Alameda to Stockton. The boat ran great, I had the diesels at 1600 rpm and making 9 to 10 knots depending on wind and currents. The boat ride took 9 hours and man I'm spent. We left home at 6:30 and got back at 7:30. Thirteen hour adventure including drive times and docking for the first time at a new dock where your lines are not already preset.

All went well, didn't hit anything, didn't bump the dock, the mast was cut correctly and man, what a great adventure! Glad I spent the time to get trained properly. The weather change was amazing. In the bay a good stiff 15-20 was whipping up white caps and we took some spray over the bow. I was cold with 3 layers, T shirt, long sleeve work shirt and a jacket. But that all changed slowly as we got further into the Delta. It was warm and I was down to the T shirt. Wrapping up had me covered in sweat, but the strong Delta breeze quickly cooled me down and evaporated the dew.

I think I drank 4 liters of water - :) Now drinking Tequila!

^ Outstanding!!
I thought about you today and was wondering if you still were doing the trip. I remember you saying the Fourth weekend wouldn't be a good time to make the journey. Glad all went well and many more fun times at sea!

Thanks!

We were both surprised there were not more boats on the water. Especially on a Saturday. Maybe the lull after the Fourth?

I dunno. I remember the Delta packed with boats in the summertime weekends. Covid? High gas prices?

Thanks!

We were both surprised there were not more boats on the water. Especially on a Saturday. Maybe the lull after the Fourth?

I dunno. I remember the Delta packed with boats in the summertime weekends. Covid? High gas prices?

Sounds like the new beginning of some great times Robbie. We live near I75 which is a main corridor between Fla.and the North! I went to Chattanooga yesterday and was also suprised at the low amount of traffic, my DW even commented about it too. The week before the 4th it was packed so people are either waiting to go back home or went back early.Anyways congrats on a successful trip.:)

Today we just got back from the 85 mile boat ride, Alameda to Stockton. The boat ran great, I had the diesels at 1600 rpm and making 9 to 10 knots depending on wind and currents. The boat ride took 9 hours and man I'm spent. We left home at 6:30 and got back at 7:30. Thirteen hour adventure including drive times and docking for the first time at a new dock where your lines are not already preset.

All went well, didn't hit anything, didn't bump the dock, the mast was cut correctly and man, what a great adventure! Glad I spent the time to get trained properly. The weather change was amazing. In the bay a good stiff 15-20 was whipping up white caps and we took some spray over the bow. I was cold with 3 layers, T shirt, long sleeve work shirt and a jacket. But that all changed slowly as we got further into the Delta. It was warm and I was down to the T shirt. Wrapping up had me covered in sweat, but the strong Delta breeze quickly cooled me down and evaporated the dew.

I think I drank 4 liters of water - :) Now drinking Tequila!
Congrats on a successful(maiden ?) voyage. Didn't want to hear about a Gilligan trip.:LOL:

Just came in from the heat. It's already 99F (37c) at 8:30AM.

Yesterday, I noticed that the neighbor's tree from behind the back fence had grown to stick some branches 2 ft into my space, and casted a shadow onto my ground mounted solar array. That had to be trimmed back. Said I would have to do it early today before it got too hot. The high was 115F (46C) yesterday.

Made my coffee at 8AM today. Looked out the window, and said, gosh, I'd better get going. Took me only 1/2 hour with a pole trimmer, and standing on an A ladder, but this sun was a killer.

The low was 85F (29C) at 6:15AM, and it shot up to 96F (36C) at 7:15AM. It was that quick. When I started trimming, it was already 98F.

I am done for the day. Gosh. I keep saying, if there's a rolling brownout, a lot of people are going to die. I guess if my solar power runs out, I can always stay submerged in the pool to avoid a heat stroke. The problem is it's hard to sleep at night standing in the water. And your skin will get all wrinkly.

Last edited:
RobbieB--How fun! Glad you are enjoying your boat, you've done a lot of work getting it ready!

Today we just got back from the 85 mile boat ride, Alameda to Stockton. The boat ran great, I had the diesels at 1600 rpm and making 9 to 10 knots depending on wind and currents. The boat ride took 9 hours and man I'm spent...

Wow. It will take that long again when you want to take the boat back out to the bay. I did not realize it's so time consuming.

Yeah, one of her kind crossed the Atlantic!

But first things first and we just reduced our slip rent from $1075/mo to $375/mo - :)

Which is good because when we started out yesterday the fridge wouldn't turn on. More stuff to fix.

Cleaning and purging. Got rid of about 25% of my already purged wardrobe and put another 25% in the "I'll decide next time" pile where some of it will go to the cabin so we're not hauling clothes back and forth and the rest will probably get tossed or donated.

Also threw out my 20, 25, and 30 year service awards.

Yeah, one of her kind crossed the Atlantic!

But first things first and we just reduced our slip rent from $1075/mo to $375/mo - :)

Which is good because when we started out yesterday the fridge wouldn't turn on. More stuff to fix.

Very cool. When's the cruise to Hawaii? :D

Wow. It will take that long again when you want to take the boat back out to the bay. I did not realize it's so time consuming.

Yup, and everywhere else too. This boat is the "slow ride", displacement speed is about 8 knots. Which I think is about the minimum speed the motors like, manual says not to run loaded under 1400 rpm long time. The motors sound and run good about 1600 which is the perfect cruise speed me thinks. Flat out they do 2500 rpm, but the boat only does 13 knots. Yeah, waste of fuel unless you have serious wind and current issues.

But like an RV, you travel in your house. We can do San Pablo bay in 4 hours, anchor and fish, motor on to Sausalito and do the same, perhaps take the dingy to the dock. We're going to motor around the Delta for a while, get wifey better trained. She kinda forgot her training when we got to the dock and was frozen with fear and anxiety.

But she will get the hang of it with time.

Last edited:
Decided I better try to whipper snipper my small patch of grass. I recently moved to a 55+ community and while they mow the grass, we are responsible for tidying up the edges. I hadn't used the whipper snipper in years as I had a guy doing the lawn at the old house. Discovered it was out of twine, tried to replace it but the cap was missing so it came flying apart. Grrr! Ordered a new cheap whipper snipper and will have to try again tomorrow.

I ended up going for a drive to a local man made lake instead along with my book, an ice cap and Timbits to soothe my shattered nerves.

Went down to the flying site for R/C airplanes and met DW and her sister there with the two grandnephews, ages 6 and 8. The 8-year-old has more interest in it and the last time I was at their house he was doing very well on the computer simulator. Unfortunately, a club member decided that today was also a good day to mow the runways and I think the noise from the riding mower (very loud!) was a distraction as he was not doing well at all. The younger one was also not doing as well at it as he does on the simulator at home.

After about an hour both had "had enough" and were ready to go back to grandma's house. We expected that, which was why I drove separately. That and all the gear pretty much fills the pickup truck anyway.

We use a wireless "buddy box" system which allows the student to hold a transmitter and control the airplane when I flip a switch. To regain control when the student "loses it" all I have to do to regain control is either flip the same switch, or even easier is merely slightly move one of the control sticks on my transmitter and control instantly reverts to the instructor's transmitter. It's a terrific system, much better than the grabbing the transmitter out of the student's hands that we used to do when training.

Oh well, there will be other days this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom