What did you do today? - 2022 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today went and helped son install 1x6 12-foot pine boards on this patio pergola. We got 5 runners across the top and will install steel roof on it next weekend. It is 22 feet deep by 54 feet long.

My wife and granddaughter went to library while we got the boards installed. Had some lunch with them and headed home earlier afternoon.

Lemme see. 22' x 54'. Hmmm...

How many solar panels can go there? And how many watts will they generate? :)

Lemme see. 22' x 54'. Hmmm...

How many solar panels can go there? And how many watts will they generate? :)
LOL! Defiantly would get the sun for panels. I wish they were a little bit conservative on their use of electricity. Lights on and just not energy efficient people. You think my son would be since he works for a Power Company.

I believe it will be a snow trap for them, but the cedar planking needed oiling and the processes is costly and time consuming. This will be a less maintenance approach for them.

My 330W solar panels measure 17.25 sq.ft. each. The 22'x54' surface is good for 69 panels, with a nameplate rating of 22.8 kW.

That's a heck of a lot of power, but of course where you are the sun angle is not all that great, and it may be cloudy all the time.

So, YMMV. But where I am, I would love to have room for so many panels. I can run the ACs until it's too cold, then open the windows to mix in some hot 120F air. :)

PS. Oh yes, it's cloudy in your photo. Forget about that 22.8 kW. Maybe you will get 1/4 of it. :)

Last edited:
My 330W solar panels measure 17.25 sq.ft. each. The 22'x54' surface is good for 69 panels, with a nameplate rating of 22.8 kW.

That's a heck of a lot of power, but of course where you are the sun angle is not all that great, and it may be cloudy all the time.

So, YMMV. But where I am, I would love to have room for so many panels. I can run the ACs until it's too cold, then open the windows to mix in some hot 120F air. :)

PS. Oh yes, it's cloudy in your photo. Forget about that 22.8 kW. Maybe you will get 1/4 of it. :)
Yes, a setup like that would be a perfect scenario for you but in the north if sure wouldn't be as efficient.

Yes, a setup like that would be a perfect scenario for you but in the north if sure wouldn't be as efficient.

I have been trying to tell people that it's easier to be close to energy independence if you live where it's hot in the summer, compared to up north where it's cold and sunless in the winter.

But then, you run out of water with the drought. Mother Nature is very mean and she makes sure you are going to lose one way or the other.

Just don't know why we love nature so much. Humankind has been constantly battling against nature ever since we were cavemen.

Nature is bad. Civilization is good.

Using some frozen ravioli and my home made pesto I made a batch of pesto ravioli.
Very tasty.

Attachments

• IMG_0291.jpg
    IMG_0291.jpg
    543.4 KB · Views: 68
Made my annual skiing reservation in Colorado for this winter. You have to do it this early in order to get decent rates and availability, and I haven't been disappointed yet.

What's different about this year is that I used AirBnB to reserve a condo instead of using one of the ski slope lodges I've been accustomed to. A little cheaper and should be much nicer. The difference is only about a two minute longer walk to the base area. Starting to get enthused, since I've been doing this trip to the same place for decades. New ski boots last year are another reason to look forward to it. The equipment just keeps getting better and better, even at the moderate price range I'm used to.

Using some frozen ravioli and my home made pesto I made a batch of pesto ravioli.
Very tasty.

Back when I still watched cable TV, on Food Network there was a gal with a show called "Semi Homemade".

That's your dish.

We camped for the weekend in Battleground State Park and visited with our travel friend.
We took a side route home that was really smoky due to a nearby fire, but it was a cool road. We got some views of Mt. St. Helens from the south. The highlight was this one lane suspension bridge across the Lewis River.
348s.jpg

I have a guy interested in buying my atv. It's been running rough, so I ordered a new carburetor same day amazon and dismantled the atv down to the engine. New carb should be here later today and I should have it running tomorrow am. Also cut the grass, blew leaves off the lawn and sprayed spots of creeping Charlie.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-18 at 3.46.14 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-10-18 at 3.46.14 PM.jpg
    987.5 KB · Views: 51
Had the pleasure of disconnecting our CenturyLink 2.5 Mbs internet service. The representative actually asked why.

Received a new batch of coffee. DW and I disagree on how coffee should taste. I like lighter roasts with fruity floral flavors. She prefers mud.

Spent the day at the ranch. It was a beautiful autumn day. I pruned the black currant and hoed in some fertilizer. They needed old wood removed and cleaned up. I also spaded up around the juneberry trees and scattered some fertilizer around them as well.

Took a nice long walk along the Yellowstone River. The water is crystal clear now after the heavy rains a couple weeks ago. Had lunch there and came home late afternoon and took a long bike ride when I got back home.

Last edited:
I spent most of the morning trying to check in for our flights tomorrow to Lima. AA wanted us to use the verifly app to upload our covid vaccine results. It didn't like the QR code from California's vaccine record so I had to do pictures of the paper cards and upload them. Then wait for them to manually check it. (times 2 for two passengers.) Then the AA website kept hanging when I was putting in DH's passport #. (I swear I've entered it 20 times since making the air reservations many months ago. Verifly finally confirmed the covid vaccines but wanted us to upload a Peru health declaration. We were informed by OAT (tour operator) that this form was no longer needed. AA's website said the form was no longer needed. From what I could tell from the Peruvian government site the form is no longer needed. But Verifly wouldn't be happy till we did the forms. So... filled it out for both of us - got our QR codes, and uploaded the docs. 3 hours, all in, to get checked in for the flight.

Younger son used Verifly for his big European trip August 21 and says it's worth it once you get the kinks out. But the kinks can be painful.

While waiting during the various steps I double/triple checked my packing. I'm good to go. Wooo hooo. In less than 30 hours I'll be in Peru!!!

I spent most of the morning trying to check in for our flights tomorrow to Lima. AA wanted us to use the verifly app to upload our covid vaccine results. It didn't like the QR code from California's vaccine record so I had to do pictures of the paper cards and upload them. Then wait for them to manually check it. (times 2 for two passengers.) Then the AA website kept hanging when I was putting in DH's passport #. (I swear I've entered it 20 times since making the air reservations many months ago. Verifly finally confirmed the covid vaccines but wanted us to upload a Peru health declaration. We were informed by OAT (tour operator) that this form was no longer needed. AA's website said the form was no longer needed. From what I could tell from the Peruvian government site the form is no longer needed. But Verifly wouldn't be happy till we did the forms. So... filled it out for both of us - got our QR codes, and uploaded the docs. 3 hours, all in, to get checked in for the flight.

Younger son used Verifly for his big European trip August 21 and says it's worth it once you get the kinks out. But the kinks can be painful.

While waiting during the various steps I double/triple checked my packing. I'm good to go. Wooo hooo. In less than 30 hours I'll be in Peru!!!

We went through the same thing with Verifly and our trip to Lima via AA. Verifly sucks, but it was seamless on the way home. Have a great trip to Peru and Machu Picchu!

Installed the second replacement cabin light in the big boat and collected more trash to toss. Stopped by the little boat to have a look see before a river test for a buyer tomorrow.

The boss wanted to set a catch basin where that hot tub was, and some drain pipe plumbed into it. I got the drain pipe in and he gave me a hand spotting the CB into place. I have until about noon Friday and the skies will open up and the pond will start filling.

I had an early appointment for an annual physical exam. Then went home to do some gardening work with my wife. Managed to sell some OTM covered call options for $1300 cash before the market dropped further.

Waiting for DIL and GD to arrive for the day and overnight stay. Mom has a presentation this afternoon and has to travel for work on Friday so GD will stay with us most of Friday.

We will pick up leaves and I will need her help to be the leaf stomper in the back of truck. I have a leaf sweeper that is really light and easy to push she if she is interested in that, she can sweep the leaves and I will dump them. When truck is full, we will go to the dump.

Be a busy day and a half with her around with no resting what so evah.

An hour or so of figure skating, then coffee and bagel (the bagel was barely so so, maybe go elswehere in the future) at B&N. After getting home considered a number of things I could do, decided on none of them.

Mowed the front half of the yard, will do the other half tomorrow. There are maybe one or two more mowings left in the season.

Cleared brush for another nature/atv trail. Broke the pull rope on the chain saw, so I went to town for a new one. Got more parts for my atv maintenance. Put 2 coats of finish on a woodworking project.

I planted 3 camellias and did a bit of general yard work, then showered and went to two Dr appointments and had lunch with a friend I haven't seen in 30 years.

Waiting for DIL and GD to arrive for the day and overnight stay. Mom has a presentation this afternoon and has to travel for work on Friday so GD will stay with us most of Friday.

We will pick up leaves and I will need her help to be the leaf stomper in the back of truck. I have a leaf sweeper that is really light and easy to push she if she is interested in that, she can sweep the leaves and I will dump them. When truck is full, we will go to the dump.

Be a busy day and a half with her around with no resting what so evah.

Perhaps a little brake to allow someone small to jump in the leaf piles. DH raked leaves with DGD last year and there was some intense jumping. (It did slow down the process some but she loved it.)

Perhaps a little brake to allow someone small to jump in the leaf piles. DH raked leaves with DGD last year and there was some intense jumping. (It did slow down the process some but she loved it.)

Had a fun day doing leaves and just back in from doing more. She wanted to rake this morning and actually did a pretty good job. She wanted to rake more so after dinner she did more small pile and my wife filled some halloween bags.

She is 5 years old and 52 inches tall so she can handle that long hadle rake pretty good. Lol

So good for them to get out of the house and be outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom