what do you pay for corned beef?

American always does it better. Like Pizza. The ones I had in Italy was mostly cheese and tomato sauce. In America, you get everything under the sun except avocado perhaps.

I will save that as it looks amazing, but good news for me--caving in to pressure from butchers, no doubt, the bishops in the Chicago area have joined with many others to dispense with the no meat rule for tomorrow: Southland Catholics can have corned beef on St. Patrick's Day, church leaders say - Daily Southtown

ETA--DH says heck no, he wants the smokey fish pie :)
They always do this when SPD falls on a Friday during Lent. :) Is it a meat dispensation, or just corned beef?

American always does it better. Like Pizza. The ones I had in Italy was mostly cheese and tomato sauce. In America, you get everything under the sun except avocado perhaps.

Grilled All American Avocado Pizza http://www.californiaavocado.com/recipe-details/view/31770/grilled-all-american-avocado-pizza

Last edited:

Irish butter and Canadian beer are better, sorry! And nothing can beat a handmade Italian Margherita pizza!

Irish butter and Canadian beer are better, sorry!

Kerrygold butter is simply amazing. Love that stuff.

Some Canadian beer (I'm thinking of Unibroue as an example) is exceptional, but the mass market stuff is no different from mass market beer in any other country.

I should remember to try Kerrygold butter. Their aged cheddar is my goto cheese. My wife likes soft cheese like brie, but being lactose-intolerant I can eat only aged cheese.

Last edited:
I picked up flats for $1.99/lb

Going into a Traeger pellet smoker for about 8 hours to make the most incredible pastrami ever. I buy a few this time of year and make up a bunch of pastrami for the freezer.

2.49/lb here, simmered it yesterday for 3 hours, now in fridge.

Friday it goes through the meat slicer real thin, stacked high on Jewish rye with provolone and sour kraut mixed with dijon and horse radish on top.

Corned beef Reubens - :)

Funny story: we're in Arizona visiting friends and went to another couple's house for bbq'ed brisket. The husband said this was his first time cooking brisket. Said he smoked it for a few hours then finished it wrapped in the oven. When he unwrapped it we didn't say anything but it looked pretty small. It was good but kind of salty and had a different taste. Yes, it was a corned beef! We all had a good laugh.

2.49/lb here, simmered it yesterday for 3 hours, now in fridge.

Friday it goes through the meat slicer real thin, stacked high on Jewish rye with provolone and sour kraut mixed with dijon and horse radish on top.

Corned beef Reubens - :)
Could you Fedex one to Mexico? Just give me a price: PV.:dance:

Irish butter and Canadian beer are better, sorry! And nothing can beat a handmade Italian Margherita pizza!

+1
I like some Irish beer pretty well too.

Funny story: we're in Arizona visiting friends and went to another couple's house for bbq'ed brisket. The husband said this was his first time cooking brisket. Said he smoked it for a few hours then finished it wrapped in the oven. When he unwrapped it we didn't say anything but it looked pretty small. It was good but kind of salty and had a different taste. Yes, it was a corned beef! We all had a good laugh.
That's funny. They apparently do not eat corned beef, and mistake it for uncooked brisket. Or do they really think people BBQ corned beef?

That's how you make pastrami, smoke a corned beef brisket. But first you are supposed to "wash" the meat, soak for hours, toss the water, rewater and soak again twice more.

This removes the salt that would come out by boiling for 3 hours.

I never make pastrami, but always soak the corned beef. It's salty and not really edible sometimes otherwise. The broth after boiling the cabbage in is so good, I use it to make soup.

Last edited:
This thread reminds me to go to that Jewish deli near BH where Larry King used to frequent. I think that's the place I had the best pastrami sandwich with sauerkraut. I need to ask my kid for the name again.

While corned beef is the first stage of making pastrami, it's much more detailed than smoking and putting in an oven. My pastrami is chilled and pressed for days after smoking it, then it's steamed before slicing. The liquid used for steaming makes or breaks good pastrami.

That's funny. They apparently do not eat corned beef, and mistake it for uncooked brisket. Or do they really think people BBQ corned beef?

Actually, I have (intentionally!) BBQ'd corned beef. Basically boil it as usual (but only for about 1/2 the time), then on to the grill (not smoker) with BBQ sauce to finish. The sweet and salty work well together.

That said, I did but an extra corned beef this week to try making pastrami on the smoker. We'll see how that turns out.

Hmmm... All kinds of variations on a piece of meat. That's what I like about home cooking. Just take a piece of chicken for example, change the spices and the side dishes, and you are in another place of the world.

I have done a lot of foreign dishes by watching youtube, and they taste good to me, but wonder what the natives would think of their dishes being butchered by me. I know, because I have seen people doing a dish that I know what should go into it, and how it should taste and be presented, and I cringe at what they are doing. The result may taste OK, but cannot be called that traditional name. It's like grilling a steak and calling it BBQ.

Aldi...$2.49lb
HY-VEE .., Wilson brand $5.99 lb.... (and this was advertised on page one of their flyer.) :facepalm:

$1.97 / lb here. It will be discounted this weekend and we usually pick up a half dozen or so pieces to freeze and enjoy through the year.

_B

I just came back from Safeway. $1.97 for point cut, $2.97 for flat cut.

The expensive $5-6 cut must be from Angus beef or something. Hmmm... Perhaps Robbie can tell us if they have Kobe corned beef.

The expensive $5-6 cut must be from Angus beef or something. Hmmm... Perhaps Robbie can tell us if they have Kobe corned beef.

Kobe beef triggered a memory of my one trip to Japan, in 1972... Kyoto, and
what I recall as a Geisha House, with 8 buddies on a trip we won at work. Started at a low table with sake served by beautiful girls... moved to a meal table, with Kobe beef ... first and last time... then a curtain opened and we were treated to a Kabuki play...
Couldn't resist sharing a fond memory...
Kobe beef today... $110.00/lb.

Last edited:
And here's a method for making the same at home:
Make Pastrami: Close to Katz's Recipe

I've done this more than once, and I can attest to it being outstanding. I should know, having spent my first 22 years in NYC.

Edit: Oops! I see audreyh1 already added that link.

for those of you that make your own homemade corned beef, which cut of meat do you use? I would like to try and make it. thanks

Being Irish myself, I would never think to make corned beef and cabbage, which is an American invention. I'm celebrating St. Patrick's Day next week by having some friends over and I am making Irish stew, with lamb. I'm going to leave out the potatoes and serve the stew with colcannon. Our appetizer will be smoked salmon on Irish soda bread.

Beannachtaí Lá Fhéile Phádraig daoibh go léir!

Is Corned Beef Really Irish? | Arts & Culture | Smithsonian

+1, the whole Irish American St Patrick's Day is bizarre to me. I always get asked why I'm not wearing any green, but being English I feel that to appropriate any bit of Irishness would be just another insult. I'll drink to Micheal Collins etc because I admire their fight, but I'm not Irish.

Back
Top Bottom