What do you take to help you sleep?

Literal lifelong insomniac - I can recall as young as 9 years old getting up to tell Mom I couldn't sleep; probably 11 PM or later. I often have trouble falling asleep, or like OP waking up "rarin' to go" ...at 2 AM.
My solutions, such as they are:
1) Never go to bed at a specific time. If my head is not dropping, I don't go to bed.
2) If any thought is on my mind - e.g., "don't forget to call the plumber," I leave a written note on top of my wallet. That way I know I won't forget it the next day and don't have to toss and turn thinking about it.
3) Don't obsess over it. I can function, in the short term, several consecutive days on consecutive nights of little sleep.
3a) Along the same lines, if I can't fall asleep I get out of bed and go downstairs for a while before trying again.
4) As others have mentioned, I also use Ambien when it gets too serious. It works like a charm for me, with no lasting effects during the day.

I haven't needed any supplemental help in getting to sleep, or quickly returning to sleep if I awake, for some time. I open my Ipad, open the FIRE Forum and find some threads on "when to pay off your mortgage" or "when to take SS." In moments my mind is numbed and the zzzz's are floating above my head.

DW sometimes complains about needing to remove the Ipad from my face later on, but I never notice. Zzzzzz.....

My problem is not falling asleep. I fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow. My problem is staying asleep. I always wake up around 2am and it literally takes hours for me to fall back to sleep. I do not have breathing problems, do not have to go to the bathroom, etc. Years ago, my doctor gave me time released sleeping pills in the hope they would last the night, but they had no affect. I currently take the natural version of ZzzQuil which is drug free. It works to some degree. I drink little coffee and only in the morning, nor do I drink any alcohol. Any suggestions/

Ditto. Retired 3 years, still wake up anywhere from 4:30 - 6 depending on the day. I simply wake up and know that there is no going back to sleep…

I’ve had trouble getting back to sleep after awakening in the middle of the night too. I came across this study on a sleep blog I follow:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32056539/

It suggests that saffron supplements are helping for the middle of the night monkey brain. I figured what can it hurt besides my wallet, so bought some off Amazon. I’ve found it quite helpful. Not 100%, but overall less time staring at the ceiling wondering what ever happened to Kiki Dee. (Did Elton go breaking her heart?). I haven’t found any negative to the saffron. No morning “hangover “.

I’ve had trouble getting back to sleep after awakening in the middle of the night too. I came across this study on a sleep blog I follow:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32056539/

It suggests that saffron supplements are helping for the middle of the night monkey brain.

Thanks, I hadn’t heard of saffron supplements. Would you mind sharing the sleep blog? I’m interested in reading it.

Years ago my first wife suggested I use nose strips to quiet my night breathing/snoring. It didn’t solve my loud breathing but it did make it much easier to breathe and, I believe, get a better nights sleep.

Peppermint tea, bananas or coconut milk. Really almost anything for an acid stomach. Magnesium supplements work, too. I only seem to have trouble falling or staying asleep if my stomach is too acid. While not an exact test, urine pH paper is a close marker. If I get too alkaline, I have trouble staying awake during the day.

"Poor sleep quality was related to lower uric acid levels, whereas short sleep duration was associated with higher uric acid levels."
Association of sleep quality and sleep duration with serum uric acid levels in adults (plos.org)

I would focus on getting into more activities during the day. Fill your calendars with free online courses that you have to get the brain to work which takes away the mental energy.

Also try not to nap during the day.

Or maybe you are going through changes that you simply don't need more than 4 hours of sleep. Good for you! More waking time during the retirement means more time to do things you like.

For a great discussion of sleep I would recommend the book "Why We Sleep" by Matthew Walker. Includes some valuable suggestions for achieving good sleep.

I have no trouble falling asleep at the tender age of 69, but when the stress levels rise, I typically wake up in the middle of the night because my brain is chewing on the issues that generate the stress.

In the past I've fond melatonin to be effective. Also Nyquil. Also reading. Also meditation. Also eating ice cream, cookies or anything else full of sugar. Also watching TV, but that is counterproductive.

But the for sure thing that works for me, besides avoiding stress, is the 1 mg of Lorazepam that I take every day. Sometimes I forget to take it, and the stress monster comes to visit on those nights. I think its an opioid, but when I ask about addiction the doctors always laugh at me, so I guess its not a very strong one. I never "crave" for it. 1 mg is a very low dose. If I take more than that I start feeling dopey and I don't like that.

Last edited:
Exercise! Walking at least 3 miles or swimming at least a mile 5 or 6 times a week abbreviates my long, dark wakeful hours. I still wake up but fall asleep very quickly.

Also, magnesium just before bed.

Also, meditation. the more the better but at least 20 minutes/day.

Hope that helps!

I'm exactly like you in that I fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow, but up at 2am. My wife, on the other hand, has trouble falling asleep, but once asleep usually sleeps through the night. She's generally a light sleeper.

Over-the-counter melatonin - one 5mg tablet before bed does wonders for both of us. The brand we use is Nature Made (I have no affiliation with them). If one brand doesn't work for you, try another. The additives they use may make the difference.

Edit to add: We don't take it every night - we try to minimize the amount we take. I'm not sure if there are any medical studies done on the effects of long-term daily usage. Also note - for me at least - if I take it one night, I'll not only sleep through the night, but will also sleep well the night after as well without it. A two-fer, if you will.

Melatonin mostly works for me too. I don’t take prescription sleeping pills (Ambian) as they are too strong for me.

CBN gummies also work very well for me and I do not feel groggy in the morning.

I've suffered with insomnia for probably 15 years. It was brought on by my hormones changing in menopause and it has been pretty bad.

About three months ago I added 1/2 a gummy with CBN. I don't feel high off it but it really helps to keep me asleep.

So, a few hours before bed I take some magnesium citrate, then when I get in bed I tale 1 mg of melatonin followed by 1/2 a gummy.

https://weedmaps.com/brands/wyld/products/wyld-elderberry-1-1-thc-cbn-enhanced-gummies

Worked rotating 12hr shifts. In my mid-50's problem developed where my "sleep" the 3 nights following my last set of nights was poor, and still be groggy when I returned to work 3 days later.

Co-worker recommended Ambien. My doc prescribed 5mg Zolpidem Tartrate (generic Ambien). Began taking it the first 2 nights after completing a set of night shifts.
Amazing -just as promised: always slept like a log and woke up 8hr later with no after-effect.

Ambien is "YMMV" with lots of stories/cautions, but worked great for me. Big fan.

I just started taking 1/2 teaspoon of Himalayan Salt mixed with 4 teaspoons of raw honey. It changed my sleep patterns the first night. I now sleep through the night with extremely vivid dreams of good things.

I've tried this for about a week and like the results. BUT, I'm not sure yet if taking in Himalayan salt is good or bad. I also started having new muscle aches about the same time.

Bottom line is I'm happy with the results but need to do more research on the two items I mentioned.

Trying working out at a gym at 6 pm, afterwards use the sauna or take a long hot shower and see if that helps. The physical exercise makes your body feel tired. The sauna and a long hot shower makes your body to relax. An physically active person should not have a problem falling asleep. If you wake up in the middle of the night and can’t fall asleep it may mean your body is well rested. If that does not work, sometimes working out early in the morning can help because that training tells your body to rest in preparation for a heavy workout.

I have the exact same problem as the OP. I fall asleep with no problem, but awake at 2am every night regardless of exercise, alcohol etc. I take prescription Zolpidem Tartrate. I take 1/2 of a 5mg tablet. Within 30 mins I'm typically back asleep. Rarely I have to take the other half. I've been using this for years with virtually no side effect. My doc says that at this low dose it is not addictive and should cause no issues.

CBD oil helps me sleep. It relaxes me and it also helps reduce the chronic pain that keeps me awake.

CBD/CBG from Lazarus Naturals (capsules or tinctures). They have several products to promote sleep and keep you asleep. I have two friends who have trouble staying asleep and Lazarus products work for them.

This waking up and not being able to get back to sleep for hours started for me during peri menopause (~age 47). My doc prescribed 40 mg amitriptyline. Since ER I’ve reduced this to 15 mg. It is an old-time anti-depressant that has the side effect of helping you fall right back to sleep. It was especially helpful when I had two bouts of frozen shoulder - any of you who have had that knows how much pain one is in when lying down.

This cheap generic has been a lifesaver for me.

I used to take Benadryl to help me sleep, but then I read that it's linked with cognition problems. Yikes!
common-anticholinergic-drugs-like-benadryl-linked-increased-dementia-risk

If you're taking Benadryl for sleep, please talk to your doctor about it to make sure they're ok with the amount and frequency of use.

As evidenced from this thread, there's a lot of things to try. Exercise, avoiding caffeine and 1 mg quick dissolve melatonin work for me (I take it in the middle of the night to get back to sleep), but I wish I lived in a state where indica was legal.

I also find a little white noise helps, especially when on the road.

When staying in hotels I get my white noise from the air conditioner...it works great in masking outdoor noises.

Back
Top Bottom