What does Costco Have That I Can't Find Other Places?

Is it worth it? More than finding discounts, I'm more interested in - if they have things I can't find other places. I tend to buy healthy, unprocessed foods, .....
Probably not worth it for you, but if you eat a lot of organic produce then it might be.

Is it worth it for us? No way, since Costco is 100+ miles away, but we enjoy the adventure of shopping there a few times a year and the saving on wine help pay for some of the yearly membership.

I'm no Robbie, but I can BTD sometimes and our Costco membership is one of them.

I honestly don't know why the exit door inspection is such a problem for some people. But, if a person is bothered by it, then I suppose they should not join Costco.

WalMart has people watching the door and sometimes they will ask me for a receipt. So does the local Kroger store. And, I am sure there are other methods of surveillance going on in the stores that we don't notice. I would not be surprised if facial recognition is not being used to identify people whose behavior has raised the suspicions of store security.

I don't want to pay higher prices to support thieves.

Last edited:
Cheap rental cars, travel deals, cheap booze and a really liberal return policy.

I recently needed a car rental. Costco economy car for two weeks was in the ballpark of $1350. I compared directly to the rental agency and found the same for $1000.

I think the value of Costco is in cheap gas and I also buy their 40# dog food. Much of the food they sell is heavily processed.

I recently needed a car rental. Costco economy car for two weeks was in the ballpark of $1350. I compared directly to the rental agency and found the same for $1000.

I think the value of Costco is in cheap gas and I also buy their 40# dog food. Much of the food they sell is heavily processed.

It depends on what you buy. We found our local Costco carried many organic and no nitrate foods. Your results may vary.

That's not a big negative for me but they do still do it. At our regular store there are usually two "inspectors" at the exit doors, but the "inspection" is so cursory that it is a non-event. They just take the receipt, eyeball the cart, and mark the receipt with a slash from a Sharpie. I suppose that the inspections might be less cursory if someone had a cart full of high-value merch, but I have not seen that.

They're counting to see if the item count on the receipt and the number of items in your cart match.

It's an issue for me because they are wasting my time. I already stood in line once at the register. I'm not eager to stand in line twice. If their loss control people have some reason to suspect that I have shoplifted (such as having watched me on camera), then they are free to detain me, call the cops and see if they are right. But to stop me just because I am walking out with a cart of things that I have already paid for and that now belong to me is unacceptable.

It's simple, really. If you want to throw down with me, then do it and live with the consequences. If you can't, then leave me alone.

Answer: yes

I used to get mildly annoyed by the exit inspection. Then, just 2 weeks ago I went through the self checkout. Must’ve been distracted with my grandies and left a couple items on the checkout desk.
When I got to the inspection the guy told me I was missing a couple items. Was able to restart my brain, run back and collect my already purchased items.
I get less annoyed now.

Yep, it's all about matching the cart item count to the receipt item count (the total count is listed on the receipt).

I can’t imagine without a car.

They will refund the membership if you aren’t satisfied.
Thanks.

Cars are a hassle to own in my city. Some call it a new 'war on cars.'' Ex: People on our street pay an annual permit fee just to park on the street. Now the city started issuing $80 tickets saying everyone is parked too many inches away from the curb.

Also, people keep getting Catalytic converters stolen $1,500+.

As crazy as it sounds, it's easier and cheaper to just take Uber.

Hi,

I'm on the fence of whether to join Costco. They won't let me "try it out" - I have to become a member.

My challenge is I don't own a car. I can ride my bike there, but probably couldn't haul much back.

I could take Uber, or ask for a ride as a back up plan.

Is it worth it? More than finding discounts, I'm more interested in - if they have things I can't find other places. I tend to buy healthy, unprocessed foods, so I'm not sure if Costco is like shopping Walmart or a standard grocery store chain (which I don't usually need to do).

I'm a small household (2 people) and not a big family that need huge quantities of things. But every once and awhile I hear about interesting food items they sell, that other stores don't. Do you have a favorite thing you can't get other places?

I could not answer that - as I don't know what you can't find at other places. I also don't know the cost of ubering there and back, which could possibly wipe out any cost savings.

I would not say they have anything that we want that we could not find elsewhere although the pricing, size or brand might be different. We do buy some organic fresh and frozen produce there, imported cheese, organic chicken, grass fed beef, pasture raised eggs, pecans, walnuts, pistachios, as well as large size TP and paper towels. We like the some of the Kirkland products including organic frozen berries.

I can eat my weight in their honey smoked salmon and the price is excellent. Same for avocados (5 for $4.99 yesterday) and big packs of romaine (regular and organic) for $5-$6 and English cucumbers and apples and fresh raspberries and tomatoes and bananas (organic and regular) all at good prices. Oh, and their frozen fruits, regular and organic, at great prices. If you like wine, they have a huge selection at good prices. They also have great deals on socks, underwear, bras, shorts, jammies (super prices on jammies), jeans, coats, etc. Like others have said, if you are unhappy with what is available after 6 days or 6 months or 360 days, they will refund the full price of your membership. You really have nothing to lose by trying it out for a month or two.

DW and I own a car but it is our second choice for transportation. our shopping which includes groceries, Target, & Home Depot will be done by walking/biking 90% of the time since they are walking distance close and close enough for multiple trips.

Costcowhere we are members is 100% driving. As many people said above, there are some nice buys. Their sales are typically good. But, they won’t fit well on your bike. Unless you have a nice trailer or you elect multiple trips or ?. (To build some credibility, I have lived bike only for 2 years and toured months at a time).

Perhaps you can get a ride with a friend on their shopping day? That would work even if you paid gas and wear for the distance traveled.

Last edited:
Costco is very good for some items. We buy paper towels, toilet paper and cat litter when they are on sale. Bottled Crystal Geyser water. Have a couple of shelving units devoted to these items. The butter is the same quality as Safeway and cheaper. Kirkland dry cat food is better than cat chow and cheaper. The brand of uncured bacon varies, but it's much cheaper than Safeway. The baked goods are ok, too many unpronounceable ingredients and chemical flavors to buy regularly. I have bought clothes I can try on there, including some 32 degrees down vests and a jacket and some jeans on sale. Smoke/fire alarms show up at a good price at least once a year. I would buy eggs because they are cheaper and fresher but don't use enough to buy the larger quantity. Same with fruits and vegetables.

I don't use their pharmacy. Faster and better service at Safeway. The first pair of glasses come from the private optometrist with the medical history and then Zenni for back ups.

Seasonal impulse buys, like plants and seasonal decor, do not hit the cart. Sacks of flour and rice would go bad before being used as well. Their chicken is full of chemicals and the fish is not the best.

Tires are worth buying, but watch the dates. I got an older set a couple of years ago and will be very careful next time.

Do I make the $60 membership fee back? Probably, but the staples make it worthwhile either way.

We were members at Costco for many years with a business membership. Once we both retired, we gave it up and have been able to replace all of the items that we purchased or found that we didn't miss the items we couldn't purchase.

Do you agree to the exit check as a condition of membership?...

Yes, you do.

https://www.costco.com/member-privileges-conditions.html

Costco reserves the right to inspect any container, backpack, briefcase, or other bag, upon entering or leaving the warehouse and to refuse entry to anyone at our discretion.
To ensure that all members are correctly charged for the merchandise purchased, all receipts and merchandise will be inspected as you leave the warehouse.

They have really good fish, seafood and meat. I'm talking really good and they charge a really good (but fair) price.

Alaskan halibut, Chilean sea bass, Mexican shrimp, King crab, fresh clams. Prime beef.
Not to mention they were the only place to get paper products during the "covid times"

You have to buy more than you want, but you can freeze the rest of the fresh stuff. If you just have a bicycle the "mega packs" of paper products will be a challenge. I think you need a bike trailer - :)

We're a costco household. Joined when older son was in diapers - saved enough for the membership in about 2 months, just in diaper purchases. Then my boys grew into teenagers and were on the swim team... Costco allowed bulk purchases of pasta and fruit and nuts....

Now that they're out of the house in college, I have had to change my shopping... when they were in HS on the swim team it was a weekly shopping trip. Now it's every 3 weeks.

Things we buy every time:
* the 4.99 roast chicken. That provides our lunch, enough chicken for another meal, then I make a stock and chicken soup with the carcass. That makes the $5 chicken last for a LOT of meals.
* Avocados
* the big box of spring mix organic salad.
* Peets coffee
* Salmon
* Italian Sausage
* Organic hamburger.

I buy other veggies and fruit - depending on what looks good and is in season.
They have a lot of organic produce and other products. I like their tortillas (which may vary by store since they are super fresh so probably regionally sourced.)

And they have a great wine selection.

Apologize if this was already mentioned (long thread) but given that the OP doesn’t have a car - Costco delivers (at least they do here)

the ONLY things we buy at Costco are their coffee cake muffins (5-stars!!), Duracell batteries (I use a LOT of AA and AAA), gas (only when we need gas AND are near the store) and Christmas candy. my preference would be to drop the membership (I would really miss the muffins but they seem to be seasonal now so...) but my wife wants to keep it.

- i don't like the store...waaaay too big making it difficult to find anything.
- they don't carry the brand named foods we like.
- to me, most of their merch looks cheap and shoddy but since I won't buy any of it I don't really know.
- i don't like being treated like a shoplifter by showing my receipt on my way out. objectively, I get it but I still don't like it.

short answer to the OP's question.... not much.

Unfortunately without a car you don't really get the value of the membership. In SF, you can get most anything you want --- costco just had big quantities of it. We have a loft in South Beach (we rent it out now) and would used to go the one on 10th and Bryant. That location doesn't have gas but does have some nice items. I frequently now go to a location in a suburban location that is one of the nicer ones --- despite being a warehouse they will tailor their stock to the local community and demographics. Thus this one stocks big names in wine. The one outside of Honolulu (where my sister lived) had wonderful Hawaiian items.

My favorite item to get at the SOMA location was the two pack of Acme baguettes. For those unfamiliar with the local, Acme makes a true French baguette. It pairs wonderfully with their selection of cheeses, wine and charcuterie.

Costco is known for good prices on quality items, especially, meat, cheese, wine and produce. The bakery itself is not a strong point, imho. But they do have a decent selection of organic produce, the problem is the volume for only two people. We always pick up the six pack of romaine, the organic spring mix, the ten pound bag of carrots, organic Peet's --- but you have to have the room.

But you have the Rainbow grocery there so why not just go there?

That's not a big negative for me but they do still do it. At our regular store there are usually two "inspectors" at the exit doors, but the "inspection" is so cursory that it is a non-event. They just take the receipt, eyeball the cart, and mark the receipt with a slash from a Sharpie. I suppose that the inspections might be less cursory if someone had a cart full of high-value merch, but I have not seen that.

The old joke is that "they pretend to check and folks pretend not to steal"! :LOL:

Actually, I was once in line for the exit check out and over the walkie-talkie of the checker a voice said "the woman in the blue jacket...under her jacket "! ( The lady behind me)

As for pricing, I find it's about a 30% discount from regular retail, although you do need to deal with oversized packaging.

If your bike is your only means of transportation have you considered pulling a bike trailer?
I often see baby trailers in the neighborhood set out for recycle once it is not needed. I have picked up a few to use. They also go real cheap on craigs list or ebay or (?). Might be a good option for shopping.
For what it is worth we have a Costco Visa card and between the Costco rebate and the Visa rebate it more than pays for itself each year with enough left over to shop again.

Cheers!

Shopping at Costco is an adventure for us. We buy tires, appliances, rental cars, televisions, printer ink, clothing, rotisserie chickens, toilet paper, paper towels, eyeglasses, vaccinations, gasoline, laminate flooring, led light bulbs, mattresses, some grocery and miscellaneous items. Not sure there's anything you couldn't get elsewhere but we think it's fun to go to Costco.

The only thing worthwhile at Costco IMHO is the 48 back of TP. And, you don't need a car, it can be done with a bike. :LOL: View attachment 45585
Lol Made me think of the cargo bikes I saw in Africa. This was the best example I saw on a quick look:

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 45

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom