What does your cardiologist say about eggs?

FloridaJim57

Recycles dryer sheets
I have spoken to three cardiologists and each one told me something different. Since my cholestrol is only borderline high and I don't need medication one told me to cut eggs out, another said no more than six per week, another said they really don't know so eat them in moderation.

I have been to cholesterol classes and the consensus is that cholesterol that is consumed are not absorbed by the body. So you can eat all the eggs and seafood to your hearts content. Cholesterol that "sticks" comes from saturated fats that get turned into LDL. In other words, limit saturated fats intake but consuming food with cholesterol has no impact.

I have been to cholesterol classes and the consensus is that cholesterol that is consumed are not absorbed by the body. So you can eat all the eggs and seafood to your hearts content. Cholesterol that "sticks" comes from saturated fats that get turned into LDL. In other words, limit saturated fats intake but consuming food with cholesterol has no impact.

+1

We eat tons of eggs. We don't worry about eating foods that contain cholesterol. Eggs are an incredibly healthy food. Seafood is a great source of protein as well as important minerals.

Your body makes all the cholesterol it wants regardless of how much cholesterol you eat.

Even though eating saturated fat can raise LDL in some people, I don't believe it gets directly converted to LDL. And eating saturated fat tends to increase the large fluffy LDL which is benign in terms of increased cardiovascular risks. Many studies have shown no increase in cardiac risks with a higher saturated fat in the diet.

Eat clean - reduce sugar drastically, no junk food or drinks, no highly refined/processed foods (cereal and orange juice are highly processed foods). So making your own food from whole ingredients mostly from scratch is important.

Someone told me a long time ago that eggs are a source of complete protein containing all the essential amino acids that our body need. This is totally anecdotal but it feels like my brain works better when I eat eggs every day or almost every day.

I don't worry about the cholesterol of the eggs.

So cut the bacon and eggs. But not the eggs...?

Eggs really are a perfect food. I eat a couple nearly every day. Sometimes more than a couple.

Never discussed it with a doctor, but I feel confident that they are nothing but good for me.

My grandfather lived to 96. Ate eggs everyday. During the depression he ate eggs 3 meals a day. The bad rap eggs have been given has been debunked.

Better to give up sugar and processed foods , avoid Diabetes than focus on cholesterol in foods. PS Doctors are not taught nutrition longer than a day in med school. So they are not experts in the area. Food pyramid anyone?

My cardiologist doesn't even mention eggs. With all the debunking that has been published about the myth that eating eggs raises cholesterol I am amazed that any doctors are still recommending avoiding them or only eating egg whites. If they are more out of touch than the lay public on such a key matter what the hell else are they off on?

3 eggs, 3 bacon, and 1/2 an avocado for breakfast every day for the last 3 years. Eggs are fat and protein and no carbs. Probably the perfect food. My blood and overall health looks good according to my Russian doctor.

OP, you asked the same question a year ago and got three pages of answers. Still confused?

Three different doctors have given me three different sets of advice about egg consumption, ranging from eat all you want to no more than three a week. I am going to see my cardiologist next week to try to get a straight answer.

We eat tons of eggs. We don't worry about eating foods that contain cholesterol. Eggs are an incredibly healthy food. Seafood is a great source of protein as well as important minerals.

Your body makes all the cholesterol it wants regardless of how much cholesterol you eat.

Even though eating saturated fat can raise LDL in some people, I don't believe it gets directly converted to LDL. And eating saturated fat tends to increase the large fluffy LDL which is benign in terms of increased cardiovascular risks. Many studies have shown no increase in cardiac risks with a higher saturated fat in the diet.

Eat clean - reduce sugar drastically, no junk food or drinks, no highly refined/processed foods (cereal and orange juice are highly processed foods). So making your own food from whole ingredients mostly from scratch is important.

Agree and with Braumeister that eggs are really nearly the perfect food. They become my main protein source when in Africa and never have any qualms about eating them. To be fair, two of your cardiololgists said the pretty much the same thing - 'moderation' and one a day (or two every other day) seems pretty similar to me. Unless moderation to you means two a day. Either way there should be no real reason to decrease eggs related to cholesterol.

I think increasing evidence suggests that it is the carbs and especially simple sugars that pose the largest problem. The liver turns these in to saturated fat which either gets exported - potentially causing troubles for blood vessels or gets stuck in the liver - potentially causing fatty liver and then liver cirrhosis. Fatty liver was really only a thing in alcoholics until we went crazy with low-fat diets (i.e high sugar). From a biochemistry point of view saturated fats and cholesterol are quite different things. And it is modified LDL (oxidized, glycosylated, fructosylated) that is the problem for blood vessels. So this gives us another reason not to eat simple sugars (and to stop smoking!) Regular LDL is essential to our survival.

Last edited:
I have been going to a cardiologist for 16 years now, and they have never said anything against eggs. My cholesterol is borderline high, but it is more due to hereditary factors than diet.

Most doctors have no nutritional training. Zero. Caveat emptor.

This^^^^^

My cardiologist has been replaced by me after he took me off BP meds and then during the next appointment asked me if I was ever on them. He's older than me and I hope when I get as old as he is I won't be going brain dead like him. :D

Most doctors have no nutritional training. Zero. Caveat emptor.
This is not actually true. Unfortunately the teaching that was delivered until recently included variations of the 'fat is bad' message. Nutrition research has been pretty much terrible and dominated by dogma for ages. I wouldn't be looking for different advice from the majority of Dieticians. They have brought professional complaints against MDs who have espoused the benefits of fats and potential dangers of sugar.

Unfortunately, there are other "science based" issues out there similar to this one. Someone publishes something and it sticks no matter what. The arguments are all around us.

My doctor is reluctantly coming around to the fact that eggs are not so bad. He still goes by the 6 per week thing, which I somewhat ignore.

The one thing I think everyone does agree on is that manufactured, artificial transfats are bad, bad. So think about it: in the 60s we had doctors telling people to avoid eggs and shrimp, and instead use nothing but fake margarine in their sugar laden cakes. Just wonderful.

6 eggs/wk? Sometimes I have 6 eggs/day.

Cool hand Luke, is that you? :cool:

Ha ha. Like I said, I ignore and have probably an average of 10 per week, but not per day.

Years ago my doctor was a shredded wheat in skim guy ONLY for breakfast. OK, maybe oatmeal in the winter. He's come around, so I'm cutting him a break.

I regret the years that I was eating "healthy" breakfasts of Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal. Honestly, what I see in the cereal isle these days is frightening. Like walking through a tunnel of poison trying to find my "Big Biscuit Shredded Wheat". I've really learned to love those. I know my exact portion, and it has only one ingredient. Still a lot of carbs, so usually 1 biscuit per week (half serving) for me.

Eggs are fine.
Saturated fats and highly processed foods are not the best for your body. Limit those.

Really, all foods are fine. It is the portions you need to be aware of.

I remember seeing a nutritionist about 40 years ago around the time that the report about eggs being bad for us came out. She told me she didn’t believe it. That eggs were an all around complete food and fine to eat. So I never really worried about eggs.

As a side note- thanks to this thread I went to go hard boil some eggs this morning. Some of the eggs were cracked in the carton. Luckily, today is garbage day and I threw them away. It was a grocery pick up and I usually check but didn’t this time for some reason. [emoji2356]

Eggs are one of the healthiest foods there are.

Cholesterol is a poor predictor of heart disease, at least at the gross level used by most physicians (if you dig into subtypes of LDL, different story, but even then just a correlate of more fundamental processes, a side effect, not the real issue). For example, many studies show that higher cholesterol is associated with increased longevity among people 60 and older.

Saturated fat is fine, assuming you aren't consuming it in the form of burgers and fries or pizza. That's another bogeyman, built on weak epidemiology, with dozens of uncontrolled confounds. It also violates anthropologic evidence that saturated fat is what we thrived on for millions of years and is responsible for our large brains. This myth is the detritus of Ancel Keys, who will go down in history as a villain and a fraud.

Nutritional "science" is upside down about so much. Maybe some day, the dieticians and medical profession as a whole will catch up. It'll probably be after we're all dead, though (alongside the millions they've already sent to an early grave with their advice), so it's best to do your own homework in this area.

I do recommend pastured eggs, if you can find them. Better than the generic grocery store variety. Less likely to cause allergic reactions (some people are allergic to components found in the egg whites), better treatment of the chickens, and natural chicken diet. Avoid "vegetarian-fed" eggs. Chickens aren't vegetarians. "Free range" sounds nice, but Big Ag has made it so the label is pretty meaningless. If the chickens are housed in a big warehouse the whole day, but they have a little door through which they can access a tiny area of grass, that's enough to qualify as "free range." "Cage free" is similarly meaningless.

p.s. I just got this in an email from my local rancher (from whom I get my pastured eggs). Thought I'd copy and paste here. He is clarifying what the labels mean:

"Free Range: according to the USDA only means the chicken is “allowed” access to the outside. They are still crammed inside buildings with a small door(s) that opens to a few feet of outside space. The sad truth is the hen does not know the door(s) exist because the chicken would have to know how to open the door(s). Many producers use deceptive pictures of hens foraging outside on their cartons.

Cage Free: simply means the hens are not in boxed cages. However, they are still confined inside very small and closed off buildings. They get no sunlight or access to the outdoors. They spend their day standing in their own filth.

Vegetarian Fed: well, the problem is chickens (like humans) are natural carnivores. It eats flesh to include bugs, insects, mice, etc. Hens are not vegetarians. This hen is raised on industrialized feed (probably GMO) and is never allowed outside.

Pasture Raised: is a term used by regenerative farms and means hens are raised outside on pasture. This is what you see when you read about hens in their natural habit."

The type to look for, then, is "pasture-raised."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom