What Grill do you Recommend

We have a 48" DCS built-in grill in our winter home and love it. It has a rotisserie and built-in smoker system. Also a light built into the rotisserie motor housing. Have only had it four years, but has held up well considering it is right on the ocean. We have it professionally cleaned at the end of every season and it's like a new grill.

We bought a Broil King propane unit in the mid/late eighties. Still using it almost every day in the summer.

It seemed to cost a lot when we bought it. Selling point for us was the burner along the back for rotisserie. It replaced a Sunbeam that was a piece of junk.

Parts are still available. Not universal parts-the real parts from the manufacturer. Big difference in quality-at least on the burners. We have replaced the burners a few times and one grill. Auto light worked for 10 minutes...as per. Now we use a lighter.

Be a little careful if you head toward pellet grills like the Traeger. What I would call "first generation" grills (I have two, one at each house.) are basically smoky ovens. The burning pellets are shielded with one or two layers of sheet metal to even out the heat, so the food is never exposed to the flame or coals. The result is that they are great for smoking but they are really not "grills." You can't sear a steak or a burger.

So you want a "second generation" pellet grill with some kind of searing capability. Camp Chef has an add-on LP gas burner for this. Other vendors often have an option where part of the sheet metal shielding the burning pellets has holes punched into it, exposing the flame. I have not used either of these but reports seem to be positive.

My solution for searing is my Weber Performer. It will do everything that the pellet grills can't do.

I have a Big Green Egg, a Char Cooker Acorn (steel kamado), a cast iron hibachi, a propane pizza oven, a small single burner propane and a single burner propane camp stove.

The 2 kamados and the hibachi get the most use.

I have a 12 year old bottom end cheapie (~$99) Charbroil thats about shot, but its the right size for the two of us for everyday grilling. I'll pick up another one when they go on sale.

I also have a used 4 burner Charbroil ($40 including a 35lb LP tank) with cast iron grates and burners. The burners are too far away from the grates for searing, but it works great as a slow cooker, smoker (wood chips in a foil packet or a metal smoker box), as an outdoor oven, or for seasoning cast iron skillets/dutch ovens. I light 1 burner on the right side, turn it to low and it'll sit at around 225-240 for a slow all day cook. One burner at each end on low will hold about 350. Two end burners on med/high and two middle burners on low and I can season cast iron at about 475.

If I want charcoal, I put my Lodge Sportsmans Grill (hibachi, ~$99) on the grates of the big Charbroil as a stand (and I can still close the lid).

While I sometimes look at high end grills, I'd rather spend the money on food (and cast iron cookware).

While I sometimes look at high end grills, I'd rather spend the money on food (and cast iron cookware).
+1, and I think the same about any outdoor grill.

I can't imagine wanting to stand outside and grill in the extreme heat and humidity of our New Orleans summers, when I could cook in my nice air conditioned kitchen for less money.

Besides, you could get a countertop electric grill just like mine for $27. :D

I used to have a propane grill on my patio, but during the summertime it didn't get much use. When it self destructed I was relieved and I never replaced it. A countertop grill like mine is perfect for 1-2 people. If you normally have to cook for a huge family, maybe you would have no choice but to stand outside in the heat.

We have had a Weber Genesis B (3 burners) for I'm guessing 15-20 years. Replaced the cooking grates with enameled coated cast iron.... the heat retention of cast iron but easier to clean... replaced the flavorizer bars once and the ignitor twice (the second time just yesterday). Great grill.... prior to that we had Char-Broil or whatever was on sale and they ended up being a pile of rust a few years later.... the longevity of the Weber makes it well worth the premium price IMO.

In the summertime when it's a 100 degrees out there I can roast a whole chicken in the the egg without any attention except looking at the thermometer which is outside the egg and reading the probe stuck in the chicken.

So while my AC unit is sucking up 4 kilowatts removing heat from my house the oven is not using additional kilowatts to add more heat for the AC to remove. Not to mention that the chicken smoked in the egg is way better than the one roasted in the oven.

I use a small Treager I got at Costco for about $350. Just the right size for the two of us. Love the ability to just turn it on and ready to grill or smoke in about 10 minutes. With a WiFi thermometer I can monitor the meat temp from the sofa. It does a great job with chicken, pork, beef, and salmon. I use it year round.

The cheap semi stainless steel grills made in China, like Charbroil, and others do not last. Our Weber Summit is rock solid all year round for 10 years no issues. The SS parts all last, even the heat bars are still good.

With all that said, ever since we bought the Kamodo style Vision Pro Grill (Home depot has them on line order) we primarily use it. Lump cowboy charcoal and a little mix of wood for flavors. We like the Vision design, it has a port to put your electric starter in under the coals. It also has a cool feature. The ash drawer comes out and you can replace it with a gas burner if you want to covert to a gas grill for some reason (like you forgot to buy coals). This is a well made chinese import and it maintains temp perfectly through a cold winter night double ceramic lined. We still have our Weber in the pit, but it is used for big parties cooking corn or cedar planked salmon etc., or searing an occasional steak.

KitchenAid » 720-0819A

I have had this KitchenAid stainless gas grill for about 7-8 years now. I had to replace the regulator last year, but other than that, it has worked perfectly for me. It lives permanently outside and is showing no signs of weather related distress after all these years. I like it a lot. I have a separate propane fired smoker, so I just use this for the grilling.

My lineup;

42799285625_ab8e3ae133_o.jpg

Moved to CA in 1979, been grillin' ever since - :)

We have had a Weber Genesis B (3 burners) for I'm guessing 15-20 years. Replaced the cooking grates with enameled coated cast iron.... the heat retention of cast iron but easier to clean... replaced the flavorizer bars once and the ignitor twice (the second time just yesterday). Great grill.... prior to that we had Char-Broil or whatever was on sale and they ended up being a pile of rust a few years later.... the longevity of the Weber makes it well worth the premium price IMO.

+1

Many thanks to everyone's reply.

FYI - we had steaks on the grill last night using our 15 yr old falling apart cheap grill. Definitely needs replacing. Marinated steaks in olive oil/onion powder/garlic powder/pepper for about 8 hrs in refrigerator. Medium rare came out great. Grilled corn on the cob, grilled pineapple, grilled zucchini, and grilled peaches. Everyone had lots good grilled foods.

I'm hooked, just want to wait for sales - decided to go with ....:confused:

I have a Vision kamado grill that is a Big Green Egg knockoff and I love it. I have used Big Green Egg’s in the past, and this Vision is identical. It was half the price though.

Costco and Sam’s Club carries them. Highly recommended.

Another vote here for the Big Green Egg or knockoff. I have grilled and smoked for decades on propane and charcoal, Weber, Charbroil, you name it, and would never have bought a Big Green Egg, but about 3 years ago our son gave us his because he was moving, and I am completely hooked now. One the most surprising features is how much less charcoal is used. That saves a lot of money over time.

I do hardly no grilling any more but at one time I loved to grill. The one thing I learned is what ever grill you buy the one thing that is important is the quality of the grates you cook/grill on. The heavier/thicker grate the better IMO.

if it were just a choice between a Weber or one of the cheap propane grills, I'd definitely go with a Weber. I have had several cheapos, and they fall apart, rust through, and eventually you can't find replacement parts.
I now have two Webers (propane), as I took the small one from my city home when I moved permanently to the lake, and a larger one.

Now, I am intrigued by the Green Egg, and I bet they are wonderful. Probably a bit more fussing around than the easy simplicity of a propane grill, but if you are interested in that, I'd bet you'd get awesome results.

I have a simple electric smoker, which I am using right now to smoke a beef brisket.

Enjoy your new hobby!

I'm on my third Weber grill. Currently Weber genesis II E410 with 4 burners has been excellent. Even heat throughout.

Yes I agree on this one. I think likely the best i have had although the Vermont Castings unit currently at the cottage has been very long-lived though evenness of heat and time to preheat not as good.

+1, and I think the same about any outdoor grill.

I can't imagine wanting to stand outside and grill in the extreme heat and humidity of our New Orleans summers, when I could cook in my nice air conditioned kitchen for less money.

Besides, you could get a countertop electric grill just like mine for $27. :D

I have something similar. Quick and efficient. Perfect for people who are single. When I want that charcoal flavor I have a small Weber grill. Does the job and easy to set aside on my smallish back porch.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-J...Clj0QAvD_BwE&dclid=CJ3no5jJxNwCFY7ZwAodu48J8Q

Reactions: W2R
Webber all the way. The smaller Q series are good for patios and camping or 2-4 people.

Genesis or upper end lines are good for everything else. You can add charcoal briquettes between the flame guards for more flavor too. They get crazy hot even in cold climates.

Green eggs and knock offs are awesome too. Just limited space to cook on, IMO.

:greetings10:
We went up to a premium grill about 3 years ago and bought a Fire Magic. It’s amazing. The main reason we bought it is it was the smallest one we could find depth-wise and we needed this for our condo’s balcony. It cost 10-15 times more than a CharBroil but the grill rack is so sturdy we will probably have it for life. Heats up very quickly, even heat, really nice grill.

I agree with Scuba. It all depends on the budget. But a big leage choice would be FireMagic. I own 2 of these after many successful years with Weber. I had never heard of Fire magic until by accident I walked into their California assembly plant. I got a tour and was hooked . A bit pricy but worth the $ if you are seriously into the grill. I am doing a chicken as we chat. Like you the RE got me into grilling and my DW does the inside cooking and I do the outside.

:greetings10:

I agree with Scuba. It all depends on the budget. But a big leage choice would be FireMagic. I own 2 of these after many successful years with Weber. I had never heard of Fire magic until by accident I walked into their California assembly plant. I got a tour and was hooked . A bit pricy but worth the $ if you are seriously into the grill. I am doing a chicken as we chat. Like you the RE got me into grilling and my DW does the inside cooking and I do the outside.

A little pricey:confused: More like a LOT pricey...

I could buy 3 nice Webbers for the price of one FireMagic.... and I thought the Webber was pricey :blush:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom