What is a safe perpetual withdraw rate?

Agree. I am mostly in Canadian Banks, Telcos, Pipelines, and Utilities. Current yield about 3.75%.

Me too - Canadian banks, telecomm., pipelines, and miscellaneous. (Like I said, I don't have much in the Canadian market, but as a US citizen living in Canada, holding Canadian ETF's/mutual funds in non-registered accounts was not on the table, so I tried to diversify on my own...) I believe my yield is a little over 4%.

If you put the money in the bank and know how long you'll live it's easy to calculate a SWR. If you risk money in the stock market and don't know when you'll die you have to use longevity and historical stock market statistics to come up with a probable SWR.

I don't like either of those and so my WR is currently about -2% as I reinvest all dividends.

I would have preferred to win the recent powerball but I forgot to buy a ticket. My SWR would have been something like -99% :facepalm:

That's what Vanguard does with their Managed Payout Fund, they try and do a 4% pay but adjust every year with the last 3 years.

Wow. They KNOW what the last three years are? They're good! Seriously how does that work. Is it a target date fund?

Wow. They KNOW what the last three years are? They're good! Seriously how does that work. Is it a target date fund?

No it's a managed payout fund VPGDX http://obliviousinvestor.com/a-look-at-vanguards-managed-payout-fund/

The strategy of the Vanguard Managed Payout Fund sits between these two — with a level of spending that does vary based on portfolio performance, but that is “smoothed” by basing the withdrawal on the average share price over multiple years. (Specifically, the fund sets a monthly distribution in January of each year, based on 4% of the fund’s average share price over the last three years.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom