What is Going to Happen With Sports?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spring is the only other time it really could be played this school year, so it's spring or not at all.

I don't take it that they know. The ones who have decided it's not safe to play this fall are just holding out the possibility of playing in the spring if it's safe then. They don't know if the virus will be gone by then, and aren't saying they'll play in spring no matter what. Not meaning to pick on you but I just don't think what you're saying here is accurate.

The only parties pushing for playing college football in the fall or maybe in the spring are doing so because there are such huge sums of money involved.

Of course they're not going to completely rule out that they could salvage the season, and that TV money.

You have the big name head coaches saying they should play. But these men make millions, including from side jobs like their own TV and radio shows.

So not having a season means a huge loss in income for them.

Many college football players still want to play. My Twitter is full of tweets from college players saying #we want to play#. But college kids should not make the decision and neither should coaches or college administrators. The health experts should make the decision regarding whether it is safe to play.

You have the big name head coaches saying they should play. But these men make millions, including from side jobs like their own TV and radio shows.

So not having a season means a huge loss in income for them.
Nope. Most coaches are only taking a 10% cut at most, or no cut at all.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports...are-colleges-burden-amid-coronavirus-pandemic

NEARLY HALF OF major college football and men's basketball coaches have taken voluntary pay cuts in response to the financial crisis facing higher education because of the coronavirus pandemic, but most of the highest-paid coaches have not, an ESPN survey found.
Eight of the 10 top-paid football coaches and at least five of the 10 highest-paid men's basketball coaches -- all of whom earn more money than anyone else at their schools -- have not taken cuts.

Lots more in that article.

A more recent article tells the same story:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/b...riorities-focused-on-the-athletes-11597154899
These same institutions also have contracts with highly paid coaches that, in many cases, don’t have “force majeure” clauses allowing for reductions during a crisis, such as a pandemic. In 2018, these same 54 institutions spent more than $2.4 billion in coaching, administrative and staff salaries.

I'm going to ask again about children's sports (should probably make a separate thread for that) - but particularly from the parents' (and grandparents') perspectives: how do YOU feel about your kids' enforced absence from organized sports?

Our district has cancelled most if not all of the fall sports. The impact on our family has been on our DD, who marches with the band and had a full schedule of practice and performances at games. In our school, there more than a hundred more kids in the band program than the football program, and they are all required to march at all of the home games. Logistically, this has freed up our schedule quite a bit, as the program was a big part of the fall schedule.

For our DD this program, like sports, was a good supply of exercise and interaction with other kids from all grades. I suspect it was her main opportunity to meet and interact with upperclassmen and a key social outlet. The switch from a physical to virtual "band" is largely ineffective, as zoom and the other tools has enough of a lag that kids cannot actually play music together (about as effective as virtual football).

On the flip side, I have some fellow parents in the neighborhood who have kids participating in local pageants, little league, and junior Olympic track and field events. They are posting to social media weekly with pictures of kids without masks posing in non-socially distant ways. I worry about these kids and their parents, and frankly wouldn't let DD go near these particular kids because I feel the risk is too high. Other local schools had early football and sports camps associated with large outbreaks and I am shocked that these other events have been continuing as if things were normal.

While I think that our DD is missing out, I would rather shelter in place than end up getting this disease. ER is only good if you live to enjoy it.

Many college football players still want to play. My Twitter is full of tweets from college players saying #we want to play#. But college kids should not make the decision and neither should coaches or college administrators. The health experts should make the decision regarding whether it is safe to play.

Of course they are the same age as the people who are spreading the infection currently.

They're not scared of it, since it's overwhelmingly older people who die.

The "long-haulers" problems are not visible enough, nor are the changes to your lungs and heart which can only be seen in scans.

If it was something like Ebola, with quick and painful deaths, maybe it would be different.

Just finished waching The Last Dance on netflix. Great for notalgia about the Bulls and MJ

Just finished waching The Last Dance on netflix. Great for notalgia about the Bulls and MJ

I loved Last Dance. I am a big Michael Jordan fan and sometimes see him around Chapel Hill. He is doing a lot for charity in North Carolina these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom