What is Going to Happen With Sports?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been watching the PGA Golf Championship today. There are no fans and I am kind of liking it--no idiots yelling "You the Man" Or "Get in the Hole."

Been watching at least parts of the NBA games.

There are several games on every day.

Last edited:
The NHL bubble is tight. Both sites are in Canada. On a regular day, players have a hard time being in public in Canada because of recognition. During these times, any player out of the bubble would be shamed to death on twitter.

So far it is working. No cases. They've been in the bubble 2 weeks now, and teams are getting eliminated as the playoffs move on.

The NHL bubble is tight. Both sites are in Canada. On a regular day, players have a hard time being in public in Canada because of recognition. During these times, any player out of the bubble would be shamed to death on twitter.

So far it is working. No cases. They've been in the bubble 2 weeks now, and teams are getting eliminated as the playoffs move on.

Good for the NHL! This just shows sports can work if done correctly. I think our North Carolina team, the Hurricanes is still playing, GO CANES!

The Big 10 just announced that they won't do football this fall. Maybe in the spring. Nebraska says they may look to play outside of the Big 10. Not sure how that will work, especially if the rest of the conference does play this spring.

The PAC 12 is expected to follow suit later today.

ACC and SEC have said they plan to play, but we'll see if that changes with 1 or 2 other major conferences canceling. I've not heard what the Big 12 is saying.

The Big 10 just announced that they won't do football this fall. Maybe in the spring. Nebraska says they may look to play outside of the Big 10. Not sure how that will work, especially if the rest of the conference does play this spring.

The PAC 12 is expected to follow suit later today.

ACC and SEC have said they plan to play, but we'll see if that changes with 1 or 2 other major conferences canceling. I've not heard what the Big 12 is saying.

I am a big college football fan so I have been following all this. I mainly follow the ACC--they say they are still playing but it is looking iffy. I live in Chapel Hill and UNC started classes yesterday. After a few early hiccups it looks like most of the students are wearing masks and social distancing, so at least they are trying.

The UNC football team had a bunch of positive cases early on, but none for a month now.

I am hearing that the biggest issue is that some of the athletes at some schools who tested positive are now having heart issues--

I really hope that college football will happen. However I must say that if only the SEC and the Big 12 play, then Oklahoma may have a better chance of winning the National Championship.

[MOD EDIT]

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah potential myocarditis.

One study in Germany found that 78% of recovered patients, some with mild symptoms, some asymptomatic, showed "structural changes" to their hearts in scans.

Not clear how long these changes may last. Same thing with lung scarring, again uncertain how long it would last.

Schools may be liable if some players have severe or long-term health issues while being infected for a multimillion dollar enterprise, which is what the biggest college football programs are.

So what if the athletes contract the virus and have health issues the rest of their lives. I need to be entertained. (sarcasm) :hide:

Cheers!

I thought the Nebraska whining was hilarious given that they left the only other conference they could play in (Big 12) ten years ago. The Big 12 is going to give them the middle finger, my guess.

They really have no other options for the fall than that, playing lesser conference teams or independents such as BYU won't move the dial.

Last edited:
I thought the Nebraska whining was hilarious given that they left the only other conference they could play in (Big 12) ten years ago. The Big 12 is going to give them the middle finger, my guess.

They really have no other options for the fall than that, playing lesser conference teams or independents such as BYU won't move the dial.
The Big 10 commish has clarified that Nebraska can't play this fall and stay in the Big 10. Nebraska released a statement that they are committed to the Big 10 and will not play this fall.

There was a rumor that the Huskers were going to play North Dakota State, but North Dakota State Bison didn't want to play down!:dance:

They are hoping to play in the spring.

But the problem with that is that the top players with NFL aspirations are not going to play in the spring, if it interferes with their NFL draft preparations.

Even if it didn't, are they going to play in say March or April or even later and then try to play NFL football in the fall?

The top players aren't going to risk injuries hurting their draft prospects so close to the NFL draft and season.

There was a rumor that the Huskers were going to play North Dakota State, but North Dakota State Bison didn't want to play down!:dance:
I was just chatting with my brother, who lives in Lincoln, and he said he heard that too, and a lot of people were thinking they'd struggle with NDSU even though they are in the lower division.

But the problem with that is that the top players with NFL aspirations are not going to play in the spring, if it interferes with their NFL draft preparations.

Even if it didn't, are they going to play in say March or April or even later and then try to play NFL football in the fall?

The top players aren't going to risk injuries hurting their draft prospects so close to the NFL draft and season.
That's a big problem. Not just the draft prep, but often players need the downtime to recover from injuries. This happened some when the USFL started, with spring games. The '83 Heisman winner hurt his ankle in the bowl game, then started playing 2-3 months later in the USFL before it really healed and it bothered him the rest of his fairly short career.

As long as my beloved SEC plays football, I'm good. Don't know that I'm good though.

Yes. I'd say the chances of having a spring season are somewhere between slim and none.

Yes. I'd say the chances of having a spring season are somewhere between slim and none.

Covid is gone by next spring? Who knew. Whew. I’m so glad to know this information. Now I can start making the plans I’ve been longing for.

Covid is gone by next spring? Who knew. Whew. I’m so glad to know this information. Now I can start making the plans I’ve been longing for.
That's....not at all what the post you quoted said.

I'm going to ask again about children's sports (should probably make a separate thread for that) - but particularly from the parents' (and grandparents') perspectives: how do YOU feel about your kids' enforced absence from organized sports? Are you secretly or not so secretly relieved you don't have to schlep them back and forth all the time? That they and you don't have to commit to semi-professional regimens? Are they kicking balls around and playing hoops with their friends? Do you think *they* regret the activities, or might be secretly relieved to be free of the pressure and routines? Or, do you feel they are being deprived of a chance for scholarships? What are the fun substitutes for organized sports your kids and grandkids have taken up?

I shouldn’t have quoted the post. My point was related to the league’s delaying until spring. Guess they all know something we don’t.
I don't take it that they know. The ones who have decided it's not safe to play this fall are just holding out the possibility of playing in the spring if it's safe then. They don't know if the virus will be gone by then, and aren't saying they'll play in spring no matter what. Not meaning to pick on you but I just don't think what you're saying here is accurate.

I don't take it that they know. The ones who have decided it's not safe to play this fall are just holding out the possibility of playing in the spring if it's safe then. They don't know if the virus will be gone by then, and aren't saying they'll play in spring no matter what. Not meaning to pick on you but I just don't think what you're saying here is accurate.

Understand. But if they aren’t going to play as long as Covid is a threat, then why not just say that. To suggest a spring schedule when there is nothing yet to indicate that’ll be any safer seems silly to me. Why not just be intellectually honest? Either play under the current conditions or acknowledge you’re not until something big changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom