What is your HR experience?

HR in a nutshell:

At my last place of employment, word came down from on high that a mentoring program should be set up and they solicited volunteers. HR was in charge of administering this formal program and they selected mentors and mentees from the [-]suckers[/-] volunteers. In our branch office the mentors were told to show up for a training session run by an HR drone from the central hivemind. She flies in, sits down, starts talking about the importance of mentoring, how it can help mentees in their careers with our employer, etc. She then spends the next half hour of the session illustrating the importance of mentoring by describing how her mentee screwed up and needed mentoring in a serious way because she showed up at the office wearing open-toed shoes (against the dress code; inexplicably, something known as peep-toed shoes are acceptable).

Brewer don't get me started on woman's shoes! One of the gals we hired was a problem child. I had no idea about woman's shoes. Oh this gals wearing the wrong shoes! Someone else calls HR on her instead of talking to me.:banghead: HR is going to help me with a sheet of acceptable vs not shoe styles. I can't tell the difference and had enough nonsense, told the HR rep "I really don't feel comfortable looking at young woman's feet and legs". That sent her into a little tailspin:D. I finally just gave the problem child the official shoe guide.

I can't tell the difference and had enough nonsense, told the HR rep "I really don't feel comfortable looking at young woman's feet and legs". That sent her into a little tailspin:D. I finally just gave the problem child the official shoe guide.

Happily in the branch office we generally did not worry about the more esoteric aspects of the dress code (open toed vs. peep toed, the requirement that women wear panty hose even if they are wearing pants - WTF?, men must wear the "right" collared shirts rather than polos and the like, men may not have hair that comes below the top of their ears, etc.) unless a HQ bigwig was visiting. I always wondered who the perv at the central hivemind was that appointed themselves women's shoe inspector.

I worked in HR for the first half of my career. I went in because I cared about fairness and I was interested in the legal/ethical aspects of business. I left because I felt that HR wasn't the place to make positive change happen, it's much more of a CYA (cover your hiney) kind of field, and it tends to attract "schoolmarm" types who are more concerned with rule-following than the impact of those rules.

HR people (even when they have the best intentions) are placed in the difficult role between management and employees. Management calls the shots, HR advocates for the right thing where they can, but it's rare that a company gives HR actual decision making authority. That means you often end up being a mouthpiece for policies you disagree with, which is an uncomfortable position to be in. (this can happen to managers too)

Internal politics can also be ugly. HR folks have very little power, so they can cling to what they've got with ferocity. "Queen bee" phenomenon.

HR is a tiny bit like policing, in that you've got people who are supposed to build trust and watch out for the little guy, but they are also required to be the one who holds you to the rules and turns you over for punishment or investigation when you mess up. HR people are set up for failure, because these roles (building trust & administering punishment) are always in conflict. Why trust someone, when they might whisper to your boss what you said?

I could go on and on.... but I won't. :)

SIS

I think we must have worked together at least twice. [emoji57]

They are right down the hall from me in a medium sized university. I've had a fair amount of contact with them over the 29 years I've been at the place. It has been fine. We're pretty low key here and I just stop in for questions. Only trouble is that it is a high-turn over department so people come and go a lot more quickly than other areas.

Should the issue be with management, general cruelty, work conditions, pay or biases......good luck (or should I say you are out of luck)

I agree, HR is the tool of the executive, even when they tell the employees that HR is there for the good of the employees.

DH was married to an HR lady before me. He said, "HR is not your friend".

Let's be perfectly clear - HR is NOT an advocate for the employee. It exists only to protect the interests of the company. PERIOD. Use them to your advantage and fight only if necessary. :)

I personally haven't had an issue with HR, but being in a low management position. I get annual 'training' sessions on how to deal with FMLA and 'coaching' of employees. Hiring of employees. Treat everyone the same, don't staple notes to their files, always use post it....etc.

The above quotes are exactly what DW experienced with her previous employer. I guess I had drunk the Kool-Aid at my own employer (who is/was actually pretty fair to employees) and suggested DW to go to HR when she had a problem with a manager 'cause they are there to help you' it was an eye opener at the least and it did go to show me not every company is the same in the HR aspect.

I had good experiences with HR, until I was thrown under the bus in the interest of politics/expediency. It was personally devastating because I thought I had a very good working relationship with the HR manager. Silly me. He was probably just following orders from above (as the previous posts suggest).

When all is said and done, I managed just fine. Living well really is the best revenge. :cool:

Last edited:
I'll share a different HR experience. My DM was hospitalized in her late 80s. DF gets a letter from Medicare that says DM is covered by my Megacorp health insurance and they are Not paying. Dad makes calls and gets nowhere then begs me for help.

I called the gal who's now the HR VP but wasn't back then. She's intrigued by the story and promises she'll personally handle the issue. A few days later she calls with the explanation and resolution. She learned several years back the IRS had transposed DM and my SSN! So mom was working with healthcare benefits.

This gals had already sent the corrected information to IRS, Medicare, DF and an additional copy for me. She got a very special thanks when I retired.

Now despite all the help this person gave my family she'd of terminated me for cause in the blink of an eye.

My last two experiences with HR were discovering the meaning of not too bright but still getting accolades from senior mnagement.

First, in a job application I presented my college transcript. The examiner insisted: but do you have a High school diploma?

Fortunately had my NY State issued GED certificate with me, which he grudgingly accepted.

Second. We were hiring techs and repairmen for a new Light Rail system. 30 positions available. HR decided that 950 best qualified applicants had to interviewed. We spent three days of 16 hrs each interviewing mostly unqualified applicants.

HR received high accolades and plaques for a spenldid job of filling the new positions.

Let's be perfectly clear - HR is NOT an advocate for the employee. It exists only to protect the interests of the company. PERIOD. Use them to your advantage and fight only if necessary. :)

Yeah. I had two experiences with HR over 16 years working in corporate sales. Both times I used HR to straighten out excesses of sales managers who had never taken the time to read the ee handbook. Both times it was to leverage the exit package as I headed to the door.

Headcount Reduction? Not a big fan. Back in the days when I was still young and naive, I thought they had all these rules and policies to ensure proper standards and fair treatment. I learned the hard way that those only apply when it's in favour of the employer, never when it would benefit us.

The good/caring HR representatives and there were some, usually moved on up the ladder after getting their corporate "ticket" punched.

Headcount Reduction? Not a big fan. Back in the days when I was still young and naive, I thought they had all these rules and policies to ensure proper standards and fair treatment. I learned the hard way that those only apply when it's in favour of the employer, never when it would benefit us.
Yes I agree with you here on your comments from a very similar situation that effected my outlook on matters at my employer early in my career.

First, in a job application I presented my college transcript. The examiner insisted: but do you have a High school diploma?

I had that happen at a post-retirement job with a federal contractor. The specifications for the position were HS diploma. A college diploma will not do.:confused: I suppose it's happened, but I never heard of anyone with a college diploma without a HS one or a GED first.

Thus set off the scramble to find a diploma that I hadn't laid eyes on for 30+ years. What would I do without DW? That girl can find anything!:smitten:

Why would you want to work for an organization so obviously incapable of rational thought?

I suppose it's happened, but I never heard of anyone with a college diploma without a HS one or a GED first.
College early entrance programs that accept High School kids sometimes go directly to a college degree and they never issue a High School diploma. One of my roommates in college dropped out as a HS junior to attend college directly and never got a HS diploma, although he eventually got a PhD. These are extremely bright, precocious kids, so maybe it rarely happens that they need to prove they have a HS diploma (which they don't) later in life.

I can certainly tell you which high school I graduated from and in theory I have a diploma from, but I could equally certainly not be able to produce it or a copy of it. Maybe they save records for a long time despite school closures, mergers, etc. I hope I never have to need it.

Why would you want to work for an organization so obviously incapable of rational thought?

+3.
If at the age of 61, with a college degree, and a pretty respectable resume, I was asked to PROVE I had graduated High School, I would not want to be part of that organization.

On the other hand, after 1 year of retirement, if was looking for a job [-]that only required a high school diploma[/-], I probably would probably get my head examined:facepalm:.

...........I can certainly tell you which high school I graduated from and in theory I have a diploma from, but I could equally certainly not be able to produce it or a copy of it. Maybe they save records for a long time despite school closures, mergers, etc. I hope I never have to need it.
I refused to participate in my HS graduation ceremony (hey, this was 1970) and the office staff said they would withhold my diploma if I did. I never went back to pick it up, so who knows. Maybe I'm a high school drop out....... :LOL:

A high school diploma is greater in value than a college degree. My brain is broken and nothing makes sense in the world anymore. I'm out of bourbon. This could not have come at a worse time.

I've never had the pleasure of dealing directly with HR. I'm glad I'll probably never have to. This thread is [-]frightening[/-] enlightening.

A high school diploma is greater in value than a college degree. My brain is broken and nothing makes sense in the world anymore. I'm out of bourbon. This could not have come at a worse time.

I've never had the pleasure of dealing directly with HR. I'm glad I'll probably never have to. This thread is [-]frightening[/-] enlightening.

My vote for a "best post ever" award.

My experience was a little different than most. I applied at our local mega corp when I was 19. I worked at a fast food place while going to college. One employee at the mega corp got to know me and arranged the interview. The HR guy was a young guy also. I didn't get hired then but made some contacts. I stayed in touch with the HR guy periodically and 7 years later he asked if I wanted to interview for a job and I got hired. He appreciated my perseverance and kept my file available. Ended up working there 31 years.

:confused:

A lot of people are in jobs they do not necessarily "want", for many different reasons. Many people have limited options for employment.

I kinda think you already knew this. I sure hope you did.

In my case I was around 45, or some years past, the job market sucked big time around Baltimore. Along with me several EEs and MEs were hired as mechanics for electric locomotives and passanger carrying trains. They too had to prove having High School diplomas. We often laughed at the stoopidity, ahem, got to fill in the proper rubrik HR mentality. We often recited "stoopid is as stoopid does"

It was about three years before the EEs MEs could find actual engineering jobs and moved on. The job market still sucked, hence the well over a thousand applicants for 30 jobs, of whom HR deemed 950 to best qualified. Ended up hiring 20 the rest were internal transfers.

It wasn't the contractor's fault, it was the feds that insisted on the HS diploma. The guy I was dealing with readily acknowledged the foolishness of it. I'm sure you saw similar examples of bureaucratic irrationality in the Navy.

+3.
If at the age of 61, with a college degree, and a pretty respectable resume, I was asked to PROVE I had graduated High School, I would not want to be part of that organization.

On the other hand, after 1 year of retirement, if was looking for a job [-]that only required a high school diploma[/-], I probably would probably get my head examined:facepalm:.

Actually, it wasn't a bad gig while it lasted. A low-stress job with a short 3.4 mile commute with one traffic light, I really only worked half the shift and just had to be there the last half, while I read books, which I like doing. And it paid close to what I was making before I retired because they very badly wanted that experience, reliability, and sound judgment.

When things went downhill I quit. I felt bad for those who did not have that option.

:confused:
A lot of people are in jobs they do not necessarily "want", for many different reasons. Many people have limited options for employment. I kinda think you already knew this. I sure hope you did.

I figured that, post retirement, one could be a little choosy about such things. But, as Walt explained, there was an upside to it that obviously made putting up with the bureaucratic nonsense worthwhile

I'm sure you saw similar examples of bureaucratic irrationality in the Navy.

Many times, although usually only when we were in port. The guys out there driving the ships, flying the planes and carrying the rifles were usually so focused on getting the mission accomplished that they didn't have any tolerance for it.

Back
Top Bottom