What is your level of stress at work?

What is (or was) your level of stress at work on a scale of 0-10?

• 9-10

Votes: 13 10.4%
  • 7-8

Votes: 37 29.6%
  • 5-6

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • 3-4

Votes: 21 16.8%
  • 1-2

Votes: 15 12.0%

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • I don't work

Votes: 8 6.4%

• Total voters
Celany said:
well, the cat is part of the underground network of cats that are working towards taking over the world. I think the vomit was a test to recheck exactly how much I care about her, to make sure I still have Playing With Feathers status, versus Litter Box Cleaner status.

I was solicitous & offered graham crackers (one of the only human foods she likes), so I think I'm in the clear.

I hope they take over soon; I'm looking forward to my new job.
My cats seem to be sneaking around more lately and I've noticed that Bubba the black lab seems more nervous than usual. I think the revolution may be near. :)

I had a dr appt yesterday afternoon, they checked my BP and it was HIGH. I told them the following

Had to be to work by 6:30 to perform routine tasks
7am Meeting with all supervisors
9:30 am Meeting with managers
10:30 Directors meeting
Finish daily work
4:15 dr appt meant leaving at 3pm for a 40 mile drive, fighting traffic, making to the appt with 5min to spare

She said come back on a day off and she'd check it again.

Yesterdays stress was off the chart.

I consider my job to be high stress, but not super high. Managing people's life savings is a difficult job. I think it would be easier if I were in an institutional setting and I didn't know them personally and had never seen their face.

I'm not a surgeon, or fighter pilot, but I do get more than my share of sleepless nights and I'm on the the maximum dose for two prescription heartburn medicines.

I used to be "important" but after being layed off and out of work for almost 2 years a certain perspective developed. Had I discovered this forum earlier, I wouldn't have to comment on my current employment.

Fortunately, the stress is "0" -- this is due to being a "billable" employee in work that is interesting if not overly demanding. If the client doesn't complain, my management loves me. The current client I'm working with requested me to be put on a long term project that will run another 18 months. I may not ride it the whole way; but when a client wants you, you must be ok -- at least until the next one vomits hair balls over you. The other reason is I know I can pull the cord anytime I want. It's just a question of lifestyle.

FWIW, I'm waiting for my in-laws to die since we're trapped in Houston until they do. I get 4 weeks of paid time off a year and can take unlimited unpaid time off (while supporting my project). There isn't much reason to stop the cash in flow when I'd be stuck in a mosquito feeding zone.

Prior to being acquired: 3-4; VC's, customers, employees, all managable
First 9 months after being acquired: 9-10; seriously sick several times after several "pissing" matches with new boss
Lately: a shakey 7-8, we're both trying to make some compromises

Just back from 2 straight weeks of working fun: central PA-Phili-Frankfurt-Dresden-Frankfurt-Milan-Frankfurt-Tel Aviv-Frankfurt-chicago-Tampa-Phili-home. (Dinners at 11PM, luggage stuck, missed meetings, worthless meetings, entertained by a few security line and passenger-flight attendent mishaps, etc). My favorite was Chicago-Tampa on United (Ted). Full flight, I had the isle and another guy had the window. Between us was the largest woman on the plane. He was mashed against the window (couldn't really see him) and I was leaning into isle, which is always good for a few accidental cart bashes. :p I look on the bright side; no food posioning, decent weather, kept up with my workouts, only one night in Frankfurt with no luggage (sink-hair dryer clothes washing routine), and home in one piece for a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom