What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have come up with a definition for sports bars:
Crowds of beer bellied guys screaming
Yes! That's what they are like here, anyway. Even if the game or pre-game show isn't on yet, they have to stand (instead of sit) at the bar, and scream whatever they have to say to one another, at ear-splittingly loud volume. I think that if they aren't loud enough, they feel like they aren't getting the full experience. :ROFLMAO:

Yes! That's what they are like here, anyway. Even if the game or pre-game show isn't on yet, they have to stand (instead of sit) at the bar, and scream whatever they have to say to one another, at ear-splittingly loud volume. I think that if they aren't loud enough, they feel like they aren't getting the full experience. :ROFLMAO:

I fully understand the performance since they aren't allowed to have that type of fun at home. :LOL:

I think that is called Male bonding !

Perhaps it's a lack of imagination on my part, but I am peeved lately by the time it takes me to find information about a certain topic, using google search. I try all sorts of different search terms, in different orders, and I get tons of *related* info I do not need, but I can't get the specific info I need, until poring over many different articles that #might# have the info I need buried in it somewhere. Sometimes I get lucky and the info I need pops up right away.

Perhaps it's a lack of imagination on my part, but I am peeved lately by the time it takes me to find information about a certain topic, using google search. I try all sorts of different search terms, in different orders, and I get tons of *related* info I do not need, but I can't get the specific info I need, until poring over many different articles that #might# have the info I need buried in it somewhere. Sometimes I get lucky and the info I need pops up right away.

You could always post your question here like many do, hoping some nice forum member will do all that Google wading for them. :)

Edit: The above is a joke. I do not condone routinely asking others to do tasks for you - unless you think you can get away with it.

Last edited:
You could always post your question here like many do, hoping some nice forum member will do all that Google wading for them. :)

Yes, I have done that before, with good results, but I try at least an hour on google before going that route.

How did you search for information before Google came along?

I remember the days when libraries had index cards. Back then, searching was cumbersome. I certainly did not do as many searches then as I do now.

I remember the days when libraries had index cards. Back then, searching was cumbersome. I certainly did not do as many searches then as I do now.

Well, for cars I used Mitchell Motor Manuals at the library. You could dial down to the exact information you needed easier than Googling, often. And google was available then. For google, if I don't find it with my search terms, I just click on a website of *related* info, then search that website for certain terms. Click on website, search, click on website, search, repeat. Google is great and the info I need is always there somewhere, just finding it is sometimes cumbersome for me. I have had some luck by going to a related online discussion group, which then tells me which website will have the needed info, whereas the google search may have not listed that site at all, or it was way down on the list of many, many websites. So google was great at getting me to the discussion group, but it was the humans in the discussion group that solved my problem.

Humans and technology are funny. I observed this during my career.

When we started doing images of paper, life was grand. Back then disk was too expensive so long term storage was on large optical drives.

Compared to microfiche it was awesome. What used to take hours to find was available in 5-60 seconds. User's of the system were impressed, for 6 months!

Pretty soon there's an expectation of consistent 3 seconds. They didn't care what media was used, just gimme the data.

Last edited:
My pet peeve of the day is there are too many updates. Got an auto update today about Firefox's new browser. Claims of twice as fast. So far, don't really notice that much faster but do notice the color saturation and the icons of my bookmars bar changed. Earlier in the day, updates to Windows. A security update. Been getting some emails from Vanguard about making sure to have updates done of things like beneficiaries and suggestion to update to brokerage account. You get the picture ... :facepalm:

Mine today is the changes that programmers to their interface for who knows what reason...

The new Firefox was installed on my computer... it is not similar to the old one, but to some other browser that I did not like (do not know which)....

Why are you trying to copy someone else? If I liked their layout I would use them... but I do not.... but someone thought it would be a great idea to change what you have (and by extension all your user are used to) to something very different...

This is not the only program that has changed, just the latest....

I've just finished reading a mass market hardback book published in 2015 by a large publishing house.

I am PLENTY annoyed by the publisher. There are typos, word repetitions or word substitutions on almost every other page as well as spelling errors. Can't they make the effort to hire a decent proof reader !

I find the same sort of thing in probably 2 out of every 5 books I read lately. It is very tiresome and distracting. These people should hang their heads in shame. If I was the author I would be livid.

I am PLENTY annoyed by the publisher. There are typos, word repetitions or word substitutions on almost every other page as well as spelling errors. Can't they make the effort to hire a decent proof reader!

Maybe their proofreaders are millennials and they don't know any better....:hide:

It's not unusual to see typos in the news crawl on the cable news channels. Recently I caught a misspelling in an article on either AP or the NYT. Outlets like this should be the gold standard for grammar and style.

It's not unusual to see typos in the news crawl on the cable news channels. Recently I caught a misspelling in an article on either AP or the NYT. Outlets like this should be the gold standard for grammar and style.

Not only is is not unusual, it is pretty typical. It seems the "spellcheckers" rely a lot on auto-correct. I often see correctly spelled words, but in the wrong context. They have no clue of the subject.:mad:

Every time I see one of those captions along the bottom of a TV screen I feel certain it's done by an automatic speech-to-text bot.

...and whatever happened to the word 'me'? Radio announcers saying "Call myself at...." (for whatever offer they're promoting)..........or, on a number of TV shows...."They're worried about you and I".

I just finished a 3-part book series. For 2.75 books, the spelling and were fine. The end of the third book had a mistake about every other page. It was like the editor got tired of reading the series and gave up.

I've just finished reading a mass market hardback book published in 2015 by a large publishing house.

I am PLENTY annoyed by the publisher. There are typos, word repetitions or word substitutions on almost every other page as well as spelling errors. Can't they make the effort to hire a decent proof reader !

I find the same sort of thing in probably 2 out of every 5 books I read lately. It is very tiresome and distracting. These people should hang their heads in shame. If I was the author I would be livid.

I recently started a small part time gig proofreading novels. Just finished about 20 books for 2 authors in a couple of series. Kind of satisfying marking the corrections and helping them to become better authors. And getting paid! Plus I was recovering from surgery and needed something to keep myself occupied.

I recently started a small part time gig proofreading novels. Just finished about 20 books for 2 authors in a couple of series. Kind of satisfying marking the corrections and helping them to become better authors. And getting paid! Plus I was recovering from surgery and needed something to keep myself occupied.

Macmillan/Tor publishing could certainly use your skills... :facepalm:

Yesterday I tried installing my new cable Internet modem and eero WiFi network. I called Comcast to set up the new account for our beach house, which will primarily be a summer rental, so I just wanted Internet for now and will get TV later in the spring. But I can’t get Internet service from Comcast without a TV cable box. That is ridiculous! The customer service was great, but the Comcast system is screwed up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom