What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On one board I frequent, sometimes posters use the word "sale" instead of "sell" in an ad.

For instance: "My 2015 Boomwagon is now up for sell."

Or, "I will get my car ready to sale soon."

:facepalm:
The thing of it is, words like that sound the same, so when speaking it's not noticeable. However, spelling is a different matter completely. When writing words the English language is kind of difficult. I knew a guy that has been in the U.S. since 1999. He speaks English very well. He told me he couldn't spell English words worth a darn.

On one board I frequent, sometimes posters use the word "sale" instead of "sell" in an ad.

For instance: "My 2015 Boomwagon is now up for sell."

Or, "I will get my car ready to sale soon."

:facepalm:

It grates me a bit, but I live with it on brake and break.... people use break when talking about slowing or stopping a car... no, it's the brake that you use...

I won't rely on eye contact anymore and none really should. When I was in the mill one job I had was the log yard. We ran a huge 4 wheeled log loader for loading/unloading trucks. I needed to talk to the operator about where I needed a load of logs moved to. I looked and made eye contact with him and proceeded to put myself in between the 8' wheels. He put in reverse and took off! He hadn't seen me until I jumped onto the side of the machine. He would not have even felt it as he squashed me like a bug. Never again have I counted on reading someone seeing me.
Maybe he just didn't like you. :LOL:

It grates me a bit, but I live with it on brake and break.... people use break when talking about slowing or stopping a car... no, it's the brake that you use...

My pet peeve in that area is "I'm spending my $300 tax return on...." NO! The return is the term for all the forms you filed... what you get back is the refund!

Anyway- I'll add closed roads with no Detour marked or, worse, a Detour in which the signs eventually disappear and you have no idea where you are. It's one thing when it's straightforward and you just have to cut over to the next block, but the entrance ramp to a major highway near me has been blocked for weeks with no indication of how to get around it. Both times I've encountered it I've traveled miles out of my way figuring it out. A GPS is frequently useless because it keeps sending you back to the blocked area.

Our new roundabout has now been striped so that there are two lanes entering from the north and two exiting to the south. Each time I've tried to follow the inside lane through I've nearly been whacked. The signs and stripes must be in some special paint that reflects a wavelength that only I can see.

That people don't give a cr*p about the details or take pride in their work anymore.

Just had 4 windows and a door replaced and some siding work done (to the tune of 14K). Never mind that they buggered up the dimensions on the main bay window and we've been waiting 3 weeks for a replacement from the factory. Never mind that they put the wrong glass in the door. Never mind that they didn't have the kitchen window that we'd ordered and "upgraded" us to a different one that I am fairly sure is inferior.

No. What really cheeses me off is that I come home from work today and the bl**dy window trim is exactly one inch lower in height than the window RIGHT NEXT TO IT !! So, it looks like the window was installed at a different height. Oh, and the sill on the kitchen window is crooked. Higher one end than the other (by a half inch over a 40 inch span). And in places on the new green siding they had left smears of white caulking.

Our provincial government has a "green energy" rebate program on right now (again, don't get me started). So that makes all the window places extremely busy. Fine. I get it. But have a little pride in your work.

We're supposed to drop off the final cheque on Monday. Can't wait until they ask me how "satisfied" I am.

We're supposed to drop off the final cheque on Monday. Can't wait until they ask me how "satisfied" I am.

If it was me there wouldn't be any final cheque until the defects were put right. That's not even just sloppy work, it is totally incompetent.

That's the bugger of it. Everything in the contract has been done. All the work is exactly as specified. Are the windows installed right ? Yes. Door installed right ? Yes. Siding installed right ? Yes.

Is it professionally done ? With care and attention to detail ? Like Aunt Fanny it is.

That's the bugger of it. Everything in the contract has been done. All the work is exactly as specified. Are the windows installed right ? Yes. Door installed right ? Yes. Siding installed right ? Yes.

Is it professionally done ? With care and attention to detail ? Like Aunt Fanny it is.

I sure wouldn't wait to tell them. I'd do it now before the last payment is made and you lose all leverage. Get in touch with someone well up the chain, send them pictures, and let them know you are highly dissatisfied. If it is a reputable company, they will >want< the chance to put things right. And send them another notice by certified mail (so you have a record of the notification). Surely the contract has words requiring the work be done in a "workmanlike manner," or"in accordance with accepted practices" etc.

Every time you see that stuff on your house you'll get mad again. Do not pay them until you are satisfied. Let them take you to court, tell them that you look forward to showing a judge the pictures of their work. And to showing everyone with an internet connection some pictures. And if there's a list of contractors that are allowed to work under this energy credit scheme, let them know you'll be pleased to do what you can to get their company removed from that list.

Last edited:
Not so much a peeve as a "what are they thinking?"
Whenever I see a for sale ad for a house, RV, boat, etc. and there are pictures of a dog or cat lying on the bed or floor I wonder why? Don't they realize that anyone who either isn't a pet lover or is allergic will usually pass that one by? My first thought is new floors and a DEEP cleaning is needed.
And I think the same thing when they have pictures of their kids....

Whenever I see a for sale ad for a house, RV, boat, etc. and there are pictures of a dog or cat lying on the bed or floor I wonder why? Don't they realize that anyone who either isn't a pet lover or is allergic will usually pass that one by? My first thought is new floors and a DEEP cleaning is needed.
On a related thought, I always have the same thought when I see pictures of a house for sale and the place is either a mess or is cluttered with pictures, knick-knacks, figurine collections, etc.

What are they thinking? I know some people are able to "see beyond" the clutter and the mess, but I suspect there's a lot of people like me that are put off by it.

Parking signs that are not enforced.

The local supermarket has a sign in front of the ATM machine that says "15 min parking for ATM use only" I often see both parking spaces taken and there isn't a human being within 50 feet of the ATM. I assume the purpose of the sign is to make most customers feel like chumps for driving about looking for a parking space while the scofflaws grab a very convenient one.

It's not done right because you are not happy with it. Tell them that they don't get their final payment until those things are fixed... if they don't like it what are they going to do? Their path of least resistance will be to fix it to get paid. Sometimes you have to be a jerk to get what you deserve.

People are too lazy to take fresh pictures to sell and just use family pictures. Plus, they are so proud of their little darlings that it tickles them to show pictures of the cutest little dog (or cat) in the whole wide world.

My pet peeve in that area is "I'm spending my $300 tax return on...." NO! The return is the term for all the forms you filed... what you get back is the refund!

Anyway- I'll add closed roads with no Detour marked or, worse, a Detour in which the signs eventually disappear and you have no idea where you are. It's one thing when it's straightforward and you just have to cut over to the next block, but the entrance ramp to a major highway near me has been blocked for weeks with no indication of how to get around it. Both times I've encountered it I've traveled miles out of my way figuring it out. A GPS is frequently useless because it keeps sending you back to the blocked area.

Oh my G-d. I thought that only happened to me! Right. The detour takes you to a road that runs parallel to the closed road, and you never see another detour sign again. No doubt some unhappy homeowner receiving all the detoured traffic has taken it down. What a guy!

On a related thought, I always have the same thought when I see pictures of a house for sale and the place is either a mess or is cluttered with pictures, knick-knacks, figurine collections, etc.

What are they thinking? I know some people are able to "see beyond" the clutter and the mess, but I suspect there's a lot of people like me that are put off by it.

We’ve been looking for a house going on three years now. Usually there’s a closeup of at least one of the toilets, more often as not with the seat up. DW and I have a running joke: “Look, Dear. This one has a toilet!”

There was a house around the corner for sale. I looked at the pictures online. It looked like Christmas threw up in that house. There was a room covered in Santas and the kitchen could not be used because of all the Christmas geegaws on the counters.

Their realtor must have torn her hair out trying to sell that one.

Last edited:

There was an LA real estate blog a few years ago that had a campaign aginst taking pictures of the house to sell with the trash container front and center.
Wait a day to take the pictures. Perhaps then move the containers to the other side of the house take the pictures and move them back.

OK, I can't take it any longer. Who told the TV weatherman he has to take a step forward, then a step back every 10 seconds? Is it supposed to make the weather more interesting? Every time. One step forward, one step back. Wow, I'm enthralled. Thanks for listening.
He may be (albeit badly) trained. A speaking course I was around had the students walk a triangle as they spoke. Supposed to keep the audience focussed I suspect.

Rodney Dangerfield: The hotel is such a dump, in the brochure photo, the bed isn't made.

Peeves:
1). People who get on the elevator before people get out, especially at the ground floor, when EVERYONE in the elevator is getting out.
2). When getting off the plane, the idiots who immediately get out of their seat and move as far forward as they can, usually no more than a couple rows.
3). An oldie but goodie, left lane drivers who aren't passing. Although to my delight I see several states have laws that allow ticketing drivers that do this. https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/...ft-Lane-Driving-Under-New-Law--479158093.html

left lane drivers who aren't passing. Although to my delight I see several states have laws that allow ticketing drivers that do this.

Europe doesn't seem to have this problem. Strict enforcement and drivers who keep right. So people can be trained. In the US, probably not in my lifetime though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom