What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to upgrade my bass flute. A major (the major) flute dealer in the U.S. has a used custom made flute of the brand I want, for sale. So I pay to have it shipped to try it out. Tarnish on the pieces means I can
barely put it together, as the parts fit too tightly. I cleaned and oiled it myself, only to find a bent spring. That made it unplayable. Seriously, a handmade flute that retails for >$7000 new and you can’t bother to ship it in playable condition:confused:? I called 10 minutes after I received it. Arghhhh!

I will return it the next business day, but how do I get the shipping cost refunded?

A new one for me is tourists walking slowly down narrow, crowded sidewalks, three or four abreast, and stopping in the middle to chat, take pictures, or look at maps. Get outta the way! Some of us need to get to work! (I work in NYC. This is why I hate Times Square.)

A new one for me is tourists walking slowly down narrow, crowded sidewalks, three or four abreast, and stopping in the middle to chat, take pictures, or look at maps. Get outta the way! Some of us need to get to work! (I work in NYC. This is why I hate Times Square.)

This is why you need to learn to walk in the street... but I think they closed them down in Times Square so they are all over the place now...

Hitched a ride south from Darwin, late 1963, in a cattle transport with nothing but a dead steer in one of the trailers.

Going down the only paved road, and off to the left we see a cloud of dust from a car barreling towards the highway.

We're the only (other) vehicle on the road and the car swerves onto the pavement and merges right in front of us.

Truck driver says "It's old (whatever his name was) and he's asleep"......so he edges the transport forward and bumps the car...not lightly.

Car driver's arms fly up in the air.......he's awake NOW!

see ....

i could exaggerate but then nobody would believe me .

a scriptwriter couldn't get this stuff included in a film

there are some classic stories about long distance drivers as well

see ....

i could exaggerate but then nobody would believe me .

a scriptwriter couldn't get this stuff included in a film

there are some classic stories about long distance drivers as well

“Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.”

― Mark Twain, Following the Equator: A Journey Around the World

(Although some of the driving in Saudi could've been straight out of The Blues Brothers. :LOL: )

I am annoyed that, having spend a life-time getting proficient at "all-finger-touch-typing", a feat for an uncoordinated klutz, I find I should have become proficient with two-thumb-typing instead.

I am 63 retired (two years) and my wife and her two sisters have invited her sister to move into our retirement community. The worst part the sister moving here is an alcoholic for the past 30 years and still drinks heavily. After two weeks here she was drunk for the last three days and refuses help or to be in any type of program. Lucky she is not staying at my house.
Nothing is worse than dealing with three sisters and the fourth one is flaming alcoholic. After two weeks all wish she would move back! Why they wanted her here in the first place is beyond me (it must be a woman's thing). A 62 year old drunk who is missing her boyfriend who threw her out.
God please give me the grace to have patience.

Last edited:
One other pet peve are people who won't wear glasses that need to and can't see crap. I have a sister in law who won't drive on the freeway or more than a few blocks from home (grocery, medical office other sisters homes). I discovered she is so vain and tight that she will not wear glasses. The other sister in law wears her boyfriends dead fathers glasses around the house because she is so vain to go and purchase real glasses. Sister in law's can't kill'um, can't lov'em, you just have to put up with them!

Nanny-state mandated designs for gasoline cans, like a two gallon one for a lawn mower. I know it's supposed to address some problem with people who don't know that static can build up if you don't hold the spout against the side of the fuel tank when pouring, but what a PITA they are to use. I much preferred the old "just take the lid off an pour" designs. I never had a problem with the old ones and don't know anyone who did.

So, Al -
Are you complaining about my complaint that my elderly friends complain too much?

LOL

Kinda. I was a little concerned that it sounded like a complaint about you--I didn't mean it that way.

The irony is that you were reading a thread in which your (mostly) elderly friends here on the ER forum complain (pet peeves), and you were complaining about elderly friends complaining.

Like "I'm tired of old people complaining. I think I'll check out the Pet Peeves thread!" :)

Nanny-state mandated designs for gasoline cans, like a two gallon one for a lawn mower. I know it's supposed to address some problem with people who don't know that static can build up if you don't hold the spout against the side of the fuel tank when pouring, but what a PITA they are to use. I much preferred the old "just take the lid off an pour" designs. I never had a problem with the old ones and don't know anyone who did.
i was mowing lawns from 11 ( for income ) and never had a problem , even when refilling a hot mower ,

maybe it was because i never smoked or only used 2 stroke mowers

( PS i would rather have the spout/can resting on the fuel tank than spilling fuel on a hot engine , especially one you intend to start again shortly ).

Every time I try to fill my mowers I struggle with the toggle on the spout and wind up spilling gasoline on the mower and the ground. Doesn't sound like the new design solves whatever problem it was intended to address.

The gas tank on my mower is plastic. How does this new spout eliminate static electricity?

I've been mowing lawns since junior high school and never had a problem. Even when I spilled the excess on a hot mower.

That reminds me... I need to go out and mow this morning. Do you think the neighbors are awake yet or should I wait a little bit until the day gets hotter?

Last edited:
I thought the reason for the "new and improved" spout was to automatically seal off the opening and prevent evaporation. That's also why there is no vent on the new cans.

IIRC, the post 2009 cans have to meet an EPA reg regarding fuel vapors and a safety standard to stop children from getting burned due to spillage.
Anyone who has used the new cans/nozzles knows perfectly vwell that they do neither of these things, they are surely less safe than the old style. I welcome the grey market fixes, and the tangible example of government ineptitude these new cans/spouts bring to many Americans.

I get to the bottom of a discussion, realize I have something to say and forget what the discussion topic is.

I get to the bottom of a discussion, realize I have something to say and forget what the discussion topic is.

Yin & Yang: I get to the bottom of a discussion, have nothing to say, and say it anyway.

Having your boss schedule a 30-minute 8:30 a.m. call, and it now 8:40 and he's still not on and won't answer my emails or instant messages, but I can see he's online.

Oh well, I'm retiring at COB Thursday. I'll sit here and play on the ER board while I wait. :)

Poor setup of buffet lines, went to a benefit golf tournament the feed line had poor setup as tmmost i have visited do.

Silverware and napkins at the end, should only have a plate in hand going thru line.

Salad and condiments seperste table so not to clog up main line.

Drinks and snack tabke separate.

People in a buffet line....

Rule 1 no talking, shut up and get your food.
5 people from the edge of the table you better have a plan not when at the feed tray.
Get food , get it on your plate and get out of line, there is 120 people behind you.

People in a buffet line....

Rule 1 no talking, shut up and get your food.
5 people from the edge of the table you better have a plan not when at the feed tray.
Get food , get it on your plate and get out of line, there is 120 people behind you.

Someone needs to “chill.”

With 120 people in line, sounds more like my old high school cafeteria than the buffet line in any restaurant I'm likely to patronize. :facepalm:

Firefighters camped out in the center turn lane of a 3 lane road - the only road in and out BTW - of the busiest shopping complex in town, soliciting for MDA. They effectively create a traffic jam because of the cars that do stop to throw money in the boots they hold out. You literally cannot get through until it's your turn to pass through. There is no other lane to bypass the line. And I'm sure that's why they do it. I waited in line at around 9:30 AM Friday morning for about 5 cars in front of me to get through throwing money in the boot. When it was my turn, I drove right by. I do all my donating online anyway. The security guy in Walmart said that customers had started complaining about it on Thursday. The firefighters weren't on Walmart property, so it was out of their hands.

I've seen firefighters standing in the roadway doing this for MDA in my old neighborhood, but not in a way that literally stops all traffic. It can be done.

I feel bad for anyone trying to get to work there or to a medical appointment at the medical facility in the complex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom