What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus H Christ. I never thought that a discussion about headlights would take up so many freaking posts. Can we just MOVE ON, please!?

You don't understand. It stopped being about headlights after the first couple of posts! :LOL:

You didn't find the "It's not the nail!" video entertaining?

-ERD50

Jesus H Christ. I never thought that a discussion about headlights would take up so many freaking posts. Can we just MOVE ON, please!?

So, we’re not going to find out if the headlights get checked out? :(

Folks, on the matter of the headlights everyone has had their say. Why don’t we all just put it behind us and move in to more new peeves. :greetings10:

Folks, on the matter of the headlights everyone has had their say. Why don’t we all just put it behind us and move in to more new peeves. :greetings10:

If it's OK to mention (then I will bow out), I do wish she would open a new thread on it, and follow up with the check on headlight alignment from the dealer.

Though we've been having some fun with this, it is a serious matter. If those lights really are out of alignment, and if it is causing other drivers problems, it really should be looked into. And then we could all learn something constructive from it.

Over and out!

-ERD50

People who flash their headlights at you or lean on their horn because they think you're driving with your brights on. When you're not.

The above quote is the initial pet peeve. So, it
seems as if some drivers flash their headlights at you or lean on their horn because they think you're driving with your brights on. Regardless of right or wrong as per your headlight situation, they are letting you know that your headlights are shining in their eyes and impairing their vision. They are simply giving you information. Why would you be peeved?

For me, the original post was not about headlights (and I do understand the back-and-forth about the headlights) but about the original poster being annoyed when drivers flash their headlights at her car.

Many of the responses had to do with identifying and then fixing the poster's headlight problem (assuming there was a problem with the headlights). I guess that's what STEM folks do (nothing wrong with that). I'm not a STEM folk, (I don't try to fix anything). I'm simply trying to understand the reason for the original peevishness.

Excellent plan. I thought a thread like this was a place where you can feel safe expressing those little things that annoy you.

Excellent plan. I thought a thread like this was a place where you can feel safe expressing those little things that annoy you.

Like people who are incapable of dealing with a four-way stop intersection and decide to just sit there until all other traffic has gone through in every direction?

But that's not a little thing; it's ENORMOUS!!!

You can be OVER or you can be OUT, but you cannot be over and out.

Just saying.:D

So the non-radio communication application of the term is a pet peeve of yours? :)

I actually do think I've heard that it isn't technically correct to say "over and out",but it didn't stick - so where did I pick it up? Ahhh....

https://writingexplained.org/idiom-dictionary/over-and-out (bold mine)

When a person had nothing left to say and was ready to leave, he or she would signal this by saying over and out. Over and out is a common expression in popular culture.

However, in actual radio transmission, the words over and out signal different things. Over signals that the operator has finished a transmission and is awaiting a reply from the other side. Out signals that the operator has finished a transmission and expects nothing back from the other side. To use the terms together is a bit of a non sequitur.

I'll try to remember, so that radio comm people don't get upset with me. Just promise not to use the term "hot water heater"!

-ERD50

Like people who are incapable of dealing with a four-way stop intersection and decide to just sit there until all other traffic has gone through in every direction?

Kinda like that. Depending on where you are (regionally), you often run across one guy at the stop who directs traffic from behind his steering wheel. I think his name is “Romeo”.

Oh wait. We have one with about 6 roads that intersect plus a couple of business driveways. People from a certain state like to visit here and none, I said None, of these morons have turn signals that function! Must be a law in that state. Absolutely none of these folks feel the need to signal their intentions to turn!

I think vehicles should be modified so they will drive straight unless you have signaled a turn! Yeah! Maybe a few roads need changes and some idiot will run off the road but at least people will learn.

I've given a few of them a couple of single finger gestures. Pointing to their non-functioning turn signals and giving a big thumbs up with a smile! [emoji12]

Hey, those blinker lights are expensive to replace. You don't want to burn them out prematurely, do you?

Or, in an entirely different league, the driver stopped on the acceleration lane of the onramp of the busy freeway looking for a gap into which he/she can merge and start accelerating. This usually forces a dozen or more poor souls behind the person to also be stopped. It creates a dangerous situation for a lot of people, more than a peeve, really.

Here in Connecticut, we have to deal with the Merritt Parkway, which has actual stop signs on the entrance ramps and no shoulder or merging lane. With the traffic on the main road travelling at 70 mph+, it is quite the adventure in motoring. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merritt_Parkway

Attachments

• Merritt.jpg
    Merritt.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Here in Connecticut, we have to deal with the Merritt Parkway, which has actual stop signs on the entrance ramps and no shoulder or merging lane. With the traffic on the main road travelling at 70 mph+, it is quite the adventure in motoring. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merritt_Parkway

I always thought the Taconic was bad until I met the Merritt.

Not to mention that the path of the road points the front of your car away from traffic. Therefore you need to contort yourself in order to get a “live view” of oncoming traffic. I always thought that was a terrible design and as I get older and less flexible, I hate it.

Entries to highways can be a nightmare and only worsen for those who aren’t familiar with the area and roads.

I try to find non-Interstate routes in my area (NC Raleigh-Durham). Sooo much mellower.

Or, in an entirely different league, the driver stopped on the acceleration lane of the onramp of the busy freeway looking for a gap into which he/she can merge and start accelerating. This usually forces a dozen or more poor souls behind the person to also be stopped. It creates a dangerous situation for a lot of people, more than a peeve, really.

We get a lot of that in my area. Once I honked at one whom I came close to rear-ending, and he gestured to let me know he's #1! :)

On a different topic, I cannot understand why many people who are obviously poor and\or cannot get and/or keep a job have spent thousands of dollars on ugly tattoos.

So, we’re not going to find out if the headlights get checked out? :(

It appears we're going to be kept in the dark on the outcome.

I had to take the car into the dealer for service today. I picked up a small piece of metal in a tire that caused a leak, only noticeable by checking the tire pressure on the dashboard readout. Visually, the tire looked fine. They had to watch for the bubbles to locate it.

At my request, they checked out the headlights. They said my headlights are fine.

Reactions: W2R
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom