What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
People attending social gatherings when they have an easily transmissible illness like a cough/cold.

Businesses that provide an e-mail address and then don't monitor or respond to it. Examples:

1. I need an annual inspection of my sprinkler system backflow valve. Company that performed the inspection e-mailed the result to the water company. A few weeks later I got a nasty note from water company telling me my backflow valve was "seriously overdue" for inspection. Called the inspection company, learned they'd e-mailed it, called the water company and they found the e-mail. So- I have to TELL you to check your e-mails?

2. Wanted to make a trip to a favorite boot shop an hour from home on 12/31 but wanted to know if they'd be open regular hours on NY Eve. (No indication on web site). E-mailed them asking the question on 12/30 (a Sunday and they close on Sunday). Got a robo-response but it's now Wednesday and no answer from a human. I'm still waiting.

3. I've been making $5,000 pledges payable over 5 years to a local charity I support and occasionally they overlap and I owe $2,000 in one year. Wasn't sure if 2018 was one of those years. E-mailed them at address provided on web site and asked if I owed another $1K in addition to what I'd already paid. No response. I think I'll find another charity that will acknowledge my existence.

Lying clickbait. Here are two examples:

pMi3OrR.png

I clicked on the top one, and none of the eighteen gadgets were the interesting ring device. For the lower one, the woman appeared nowhere.

Impenetrable product packaging comes in many forms. Most recent I've faced is a tight, very tough plastic covering the cap on a bottle. This overseal has no perforations and no edges by which to grab it. I finally wedged a flat blade screwdriver under it and twisted to split the plastic, except the screwdriver broke first!

Or how about the "easy open tab"? You know the one that rips off the package without even making a dent in the perforations?
And how about toilet paper? Isn't it supposed to tear along the perforations? Quite often I will leave the TP with about a foot or two of a 1/4" long thread hanging. They couldn't make it that way if they tried!

Impenetrable product packaging comes in many forms. Most recent I've faced is a tight, very tough plastic covering the cap on a bottle. This overseal has no perforations and no edges by which to grab it. I finally wedged a flat blade screwdriver under it and twisted to split the plastic, except the screwdriver broke first!

When you consider the amount of engineering research, the number of previous prototypes, etc, it would appear that they have achieved their desired goals in record time. :LOL:

Ostentatious and smug adjectives that are, IMO, misused by the 'cultural elite'. Classical music that 'Joe Average' might enjoy is labeled as 'accessible' by the elite. Just ran into a new one today, while looking up wine reviews. The red I was researching is labeled as 'approachable'. Give me a break!

Ostentatious and smug adjectives that are, IMO, misused by the 'cultural elite'. Classical music that 'Joe Average' might enjoy is labeled as 'accessible' by the elite. Just ran into a new one today, while looking up wine reviews. The red I was researching is labeled as 'approachable'. Give me a break!

As a bit of a beer geek, I don't think it is so bad.

Some beers are "out there", LOTS of flavor, maybe a sour, or very strong and might scare away someone who isn't used to that style.

I'd also agree that some classical music (as well as others) is more approachable than others. For example, I've got some micro-tonal stuff that most people would run from, but I can kind of get into it, if I'm in the mood.

-ERD50

As a bit of a beer geek, I don't think it is so bad.

Some beers are "out there", LOTS of flavor, maybe a sour, or very strong and might scare away someone who isn't used to that style.

I'd also agree that some classical music (as well as others) is more approachable than others. For example, I've got some micro-tonal stuff that most people would run from, but I can kind of get into it, if I'm in the mood.

-ERD50

Okay, ERD, I'll give you 'approachable'. I'm a beer geek too. I made hundreds of gallons of very approachable home brew during my high stress IT days in the 80's and 90's. lol.

Okay, ERD, I'll give you 'approachable'. I'm a beer geek too. I made hundreds of gallons of very approachable home brew during my high stress IT days in the 80's and 90's. lol.

I was able to obtain a "peated bourbon barrel" from a local distillery. My intent was to eventually have a neutral barrel and "oak" my wine with various oak chip temperature variants. I first did a few Scotch ales in the barrel to grasp as much peated bourbon flavor. After a barrel fermented Chardonnay, a Merlot, and a few red blends, I can only say that some on the wines are "approachable". While I consider all the wines to be of the "mad scientist" variety, they turned out pretty good. But eventually after two years of using a charred barrel instead of a neutral toasted barrel, I took the barrels apart, sanded the char off, and re assembled. The wines now are more "approachable", if I do say so myself!:D

I was able to obtain a "peated bourbon barrel" from a local distillery. My intent was to eventually have a neutral barrel and "oak" my wine with various oak chip temperature variants. I first did a few Scotch ales in the barrel to grasp as much peated bourbon flavor. After a barrel fermented Chardonnay, a Merlot, and a few red blends, I can only say that some on the wines are "approachable". While I consider all the wines to be of the "mad scientist" variety, they turned out pretty good. But eventually after two years of using a charred barrel instead of a neutral toasted barrel, I took the barrels apart, sanded the char off, and re assembled. The wines now are more "approachable", if I do say so myself!:D

Winemaker, that was an interesting 'approach' you took. My dad used to make a lot of good wine, and sherry, some in oak barrels, which was always 'accessible' to me, fortunately, since they were usually quite good, lol.

^^ this isn't always a good phenomenon. There are rum producers who are aging their products now in used bourbon barrels (because they are cheap to get since bourbon barrels are usually single use).
The results range from a faint added charcoal flavour to a nasty rum/whiskey hybrid down to a fair approximation of gasoline.
A friend is into high quality dark rums. We now know to avoid any rum that confesses on it's label to be "aged in whiskey barrels"
There are also one or two makers utilizing used sherry barrels. Also to be avoided.
A bad case of penny wise, pound foolish if you ask me.

My pet peeve of the day is people who write online articles but don't date them ! I hate it because I don't know if the information they are referencing is a day old, a year old or 10 years old.

My pet peeve of the day is people who write online articles but don't date them ! I hate it because I don't know if the information they are referencing is a day old, a year old or 10 years old.

Mine too! Drives me nuts.

Yes. True of news stories, and worse, of tech support articles.

Neighbor whose security video camera points into our backyard over the fence. Instead of facing it towards the street she faces it towards the side yard. Invasion of privacy.

Wasp spray? that should gum up the lens some and has a pretty good range.

People who drive into an intersection on a green light when it is CLEAR that the traffic is backed up and they are not going to clear the intersection before their light turns red again. Then they sit there and block the path of the crossing traffic.

Other drivers who tailgate, or leave their bright lights/fog lights on in my rear view mirror. The drivers that don't turn thier headlights on at all when the weather is bad, or low visibility.

When I was still working most of senior leadership was acknowledged by subordinates in the office. The cafeteria, office and bathroom cleaners rarely were even acknowledged to exist.

People who drive into an intersection on a green light when it is CLEAR that the traffic is backed up and they are not going to clear the intersection before their light turns red again. Then they sit there and block the path of the crossing traffic.

And then they honk at you/me when we do stop and refuse to enter the intersection until it is clear. :facepalm:

-ERD50

Being sent to a website for more information, but the info is not there.

This afternoon I saw a Facebook post from the chamber of commerce of a nearby small city, advertising “Restaurant Week” beginning on Saturday. One of the listed participating restaurants is one that I’ve enjoyed, but DH has never been there. The Facebook posting says to check a certain website for details of the fixed-price menu at each of the participants. But when I go to the website and click in the hot link for the menu, I get the 404 message.

[emoji35]

Liberty Insurance commercials...

I often wonder who comes up with such annoying commercials. Are they are insufferable to be around in a social setting? I couldn't imagine being out at dinner with folks and saying, "Hey, you know that really annoying 'Liberty, liberty, liberty...liberty...liberty' commercial? Yeah, that was my idea".

I am also pretty darn tired of the Chevrolet commercials...there can't be more than 7 people in this county that wouldn't recognize that dude when he would come around "surprising" the "real people, not actors". :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom