What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My largest and never ending pet peeve is...The Mindset of The American Public as regards wants, needs, money, consumerism, perceived status, mindless accumulation of material goods, waste, etc.

Thankfully, most people here have not succumbed to this foolishness to any great degree....Or, they wouldn't be here on the Early Retirement forum...Would they?

:)

My largest and never ending pet peeve is...The Mindset of The American Public as regards wants, needs, money, consumerism, perceived status, mindless accumulation of material goods, waste, etc.

Thankfully, most people here have not succumbed to this foolishness to any great degree....Or, they wouldn't be here on the Early Retirement forum...Would they?

:)

The good news is that if they're at work, they're not out clogging the stores I shop in. And they are presumably paying taxes into the social security and medicare systems for us, lol.

Speaking of telephone prompts, when you are instructed to punch in your account number, and you do, and then when you get sent to a human they ask you for the number again.

Every time.

Pre recorded tv shows I endure at the breakfast place I frequent, which in spite of awesome technology can not sync audio with video. Lips move, sound arrives eventually.

Here are two different windows, one from Google Chrome, the other from Google:

Vb6lp4c.png

In one, you click the eyeball to see the password, in the other you click the crossed-out eyeball to see the password. I've seen the same problem with toggling sound.

IOW, someone has to decide on a standard here. Does the eyeball show the current state or is it a button for changing the state? Choose one.

Pre recorded tv shows I endure at the breakfast place I frequent, which in spite of awesome technology can not sync audio with video. Lips move, sound arrives eventually.

+++++1

FUBO has had that problem for several days. I feel like I’m watching a Japanese horror movie from the 60’s. Anyone up for Rodan or Godzilla?

I have two pet peeves today, both related to unfulfilled consumerism (which should be a lesson to me, but no):

1. I can't find the perfect car for me. OK, I'm peeved at myself. :LOL: But really I'd like to find something I am genuinely enthusiastic about, like I did for the past two car purchases.

Instead, all I am finding are options that inspire the "Well... uh....OK, I guess...." reaction from me. :confused:

2. Nintendo still hasn't given a name or a release date for the new Animal Crossing game for the Switch (their latest console). On 9/13/2018 Nintendo announced that this game would be released sometime in 2019, and since then we hear nothing but crickets. :whistle:

Speaking of telephone prompts, when you are instructed to punch in your account number, and you do, and then when you get sent to a human they ask you for the number again.

+1 account numbers and same thing with PINs or passcodes or last 4 digits of SS.... the machine asks for it and sends me to a person who asks for it again... that is why I love Vanguard's voice identification.

.............1. I can't find the perfect car for me. OK, I'm peeved at myself. :LOL: But really I'd like to find something I am genuinely enthusiastic about, like I did for the past two car purchases.
Well if you hadn't run that Venza into the ground you wouldn't have this problem. You must have, what, 10 or 12 thousand miles on it?

1. I can't find the perfect car for me. OK, I'm peeved at myself. :LOL: But really I'd like to find something I am genuinely enthusiastic about, like I did for the past two car purchases.

I would keep the car and focus on video games. :cool:

Well if you hadn't run that Venza into the ground you wouldn't have this problem. You must have, what, 10 or 12 thousand miles on it?

Well, around 30,700 miles give or take 100 miles. :LOL: I see your point. I do like it a lot, and when I look at new cars online it's hard to find any that measure up to my Venza (as far as attributes that I want in a car). I don't really need a new car although this one is a 2009 so I thought that after 10 years it was probably time to think about a new one.

I would keep the car and focus on video games. :cool:

Now if only Nintendo would get their act together! :LOL: I have been playing my old Animal Crossing video game (the previous one) a lot and it is great entertainment for not many dollars per hour.

Well, around 30,700 miles give or take 100 miles. :LOL: I see your point. I do like it a lot, and when I look at new cars online it's hard to find any that measure up to my Venza (as far as attributes that I want in a car). I don't really need a new car although this one is a 2009 so I thought that after 10 years it was probably time to think about a new one.

Now if only Nintendo would get their act together! :LOL: I have been playing my old Animal Crossing video game (the previous one) a lot and it is great entertainment for not many dollars per hour.

I had a 2004 Acura TL with 6 speed manual... if I had not totaled it a number of years ago I would still have it to this day and would be loving it... and not looking for anything else..

Unless you want the new tech to help your drive (my oldest sister did) then there is no reason to get a new one at 10 years... just keep it fixed...

A recommendation would be to have them change out all of your hoses and belts... they do get old and sometimes prevention is worth the money..

Dishonest mechanics. I brought car in for oil change and tire rotate. Last time they refused to rotate because treadware was too low. Okay, so I get new tires. Next time they refuse to rotate again. Say tread is too low. I brought the car in because the car was a bit wobbly around 75mph. Thought maybe if the tires were rotated that slight wobble might go away.

They said one of the tires "wear bars was showing"...
Brought the car home, rotated and inspected every single tire myself. Saw nothing wrong, definitely did not see anything wearing through...checked my records to see how many miles I had driven on new tires...was about 30,000 of a roughly 55,000 warrantied tire.

Drove the car at 75mph...and holy smokes guys, guess what happened. That slight wobble went away since I moved the worn tire from front to back.

Who would have thought that rotating a slightly worn tread that is further causing the ever so slightest wobble would fix the issue.

Mechanics. Needless to say, I am forever DONE with that mechanic.

Dr. appointment scheduling.

I had an appointment to see a dermatologist for tomorrow morning. Over the past few days, I got reminders by email to confirm, a reminder phone call, and a text to confirm. The email states, if I cancel not within 24 hours I'd got socked a $30 cancellation fee.

So, today, I get a phone call from the dr's office, saying the doc can't make the appointment and I can either reschedule or seem another doc tomorrow at the clinic :facepalm:.

I should ask for a $30 discount for the doc canceling on me :mad:.

Dishonest mechanics. I brought car in for oil change and tire rotate. Last time they refused to rotate because treadware was too low. Okay, so I get new tires. Next time they refuse to rotate again. Say tread is too low. I brought the car in because the car was a bit wobbly around 75mph. Thought maybe if the tires were rotated that slight wobble might go away.

They said one of the tires "wear bars was showing"...
Brought the car home, rotated and inspected every single tire myself. Saw nothing wrong, definitely did not see anything wearing through...checked my records to see how many miles I had driven on new tires...was about 30,000 of a roughly 55,000 warrantied tire.

Drove the car at 75mph...and holy smokes guys, guess what happened. That slight wobble went away since I moved the worn tire from front to back.

Who would have thought that rotating a slightly worn tread that is further causing the ever so slightest wobble would fix the issue.

Mechanics. Needless to say, I am forever DONE with that mechanic.

Heck, you need to rotate your tires every time you change the oil... that gives even wear....

As to if there was enough tread... I had 40,000 miles on a 90,000 mile tire and it WAS too low on the tread... got money back for the tires but not all the other costs to mount etc... some tires wear faster on different cars...

I can't find the perfect car for me. OK, I'm peeved at myself. :LOL: But really I'd like to find something I am genuinely enthusiastic about, like I did for the past two car purchases.

I feel your pain. I went through that a couple of years ago until a new model finally came out (what that is, is irrelevant here) and I had to wait six months for it and paid full MSRP. Two years later I still love it. Hang in there.

I feel your pain. I went through that a couple of years ago until a new model finally came out (what that is, is irrelevant here) and I had to wait six months for it and paid full MSRP. Two years later I still love it. Hang in there.

Thanks. I hope the same thing happens in my case. :)

Heck, you need to rotate your tires every time you change the oil... that gives even wear.... some tires wear faster on different cars...

Some tires wear faster because of different drivers as well. Jack rabbit starts, making turns at higher rates of speed, inflation, curbing and pothole avoidance are crucial to tire wear.

People who, mostly driving small sedans or suvs, have to swing almost into the left lane to turn right. My goodness people, I don't have to swing that wide when driving my motorhome!
Oh yeah, and your turn signal is to signal your INTENT to turn, not the fact that you are actually turning. We can figure that out when you're halfway through the intersection and then turn it on!

People who, mostly driving small sedans or suvs, have to swing almost into the left lane to turn right. My goodness people, I don't have to swing that wide when driving my motorhome!
Oh yeah, and your turn signal is to signal your INTENT to turn, not the fact that you are actually turning. We can figure that out when you're halfway through the intersection and then turn it on!
AAA+++

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom