What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nextdoor? No thanks!

I recall opening a Nextdoor account many moons ago, probably after reading about it on one of the threads here. No thanks, I'll stay as anonymous a s possible and stay away from virtual neighbors.

Yesterday we received a genuine letter from Nextdoor (on their letterhead) with a neighbor's name at the bottom. Guy lives 4 doors down, on our street of 15 homes. Can't wonder why this marketing ploy is being used, but no thanks. This neighbor is actually one of the more annoying ones on the block. Our street is very quiet, and the neighbor has two annoying things going on for a loooong time. 1) Parks his super long truck on the street, at a 15-degree angle, blocking ability for 2 cars to pass by going in opposite directions. 2) Large dogs (German Shepherd, etc.) are walked on the front lawn, with large deposits of doggy fertilizer left on the lawn forever.

Bonus peeve: Guy had blue tarp on roof for more than 5 years, hiding a major leak around chimney. LOL.

On another street, there's another problem, so really nothing special going on there.

I recall opening a Nextdoor account many moons ago, probably after reading about it on one of the threads here. No thanks, I'll stay as anonymous a s possible and stay away from virtual neighbors.

So how are you going to keep up with all the daily “Lost cat” postings?

I still don’t like the shift in baseball. However today in the college World Series semi finals Michigan laid down a bunt to the third base and beat the shift.

I still don’t like the shift in baseball. However today in the college World Series semi finals Michigan laid down a bunt to the third base and beat the shift.

Teams have used the shift on hitters as long (or longer) as I have played organized ball. And I started in the 1950's in high school. It's always been part of the game. Nothing new here. ;)

Is your peeve the shift or the bunt?

I saw a replay a week or so ago where they had the shift to the 3rd base side... 3 players between 2nd and 3rd... so what happens... a bloop grounder where the 2nd baseman should have been for the out... oh well...

Today's peeve are those little plastic "ties" that hold garments together, or hold the tag on. Clearly, the machine that produces these is easy to use, so they are used generously. My latest pair of 8 socks had no less than 14 of these things!

They are hard to see. They are hard to remove. You risk snagging and running the fabric, etc. What is the obsession with these, especially on small garments like socks?

Attachments

• IMG_20190706_092238535.jpg
    IMG_20190706_092238535.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 44
My pet peeve is a bit more general. I am just getting tired of advertisers, people, new organization and researchers who continually tell us what we're doing wrong or how we're all going to die.

Recent example is the new report (I think from the United Nations) how we're all going to die or be extinct in 12 years.

If I was young and looked at social media today I would be locked in a room from paranoia.

There are thousand of studies that are discounted a decade later. Have now taken it with a grain of salt but still shake my head. Part of the bother is that they are trying to tell us how to live every part of our life. Just goes against my grain

My latest pair of 8 socks had no less than 14 of these things!

They are hard to see. They are hard to remove. You risk snagging and running the fabric, etc. What is the obsession with these, especially on small garments like socks?

I think at least a portion of the issue may be that socks do not appear to mate for life...

I know am a bad person for having this peeve, but.... a new radio station has popped up on AM, which is nothing but podcasts (which is a good thing!). Some of them are very interesting. My peeve is that sometimes the voice of the person speaking is just plain annoying! Sometimes you get an interesting topic AND the person's voice sounds good too. Yeah, I know, it's free, so I shouldn't be complaining, and I can just turn it off, and sometimes I do.

My peeve is that sometimes the voice of the person speaking is just plain annoying! Sometimes you get an interesting topic AND the person's voice sounds good too. Yeah, I know, it's free, so I shouldn't be complaining, and I can just turn it off, and sometimes I do.

A local radio station often has one particular woman reading the news......she has the ideal voice for sign language.

The wonderful service dog! Thanks for bringing your ill mannered poodle into a Mexican restaurant. The lady sits down and tells her dog to "act professional so they're not kicked out" it's sitting on her lap trying to eat a chip from her mouth!

I love dogs, we have two. I don't pawn them off as service dogs.

The wonderful service dog! Thanks for bringing your ill mannered poodle into a Mexican restaurant. The lady sits down and tells her dog to "act professional so they're not kicked out" it's sitting on her lap trying to eat a chip from her mouth!

I love dogs, we have two. I don't pawn them off as service dogs.

I got a problem with that as well. We have a dog, we like dogs, I don't want YOUR dog near me when I am shopping, walking or eating. Too many people think their dog is a "service " dog.

A true Service dog does not look for pets, does not beg, and does not look for your attention. They are well trained, and a God send to the folks that have them.

The more abundant "Support Dog (pet)" is nothing more than a pet I want to bring in the store, and this will let me do that. I am sure there are some exceptions to this, but from what I see...

Yappers! little bitty yappers! these little dogs love to yap in a high pitched yap.
Seriously though, while at a group campout with 40 rv's of differing sizes and people from all over the country there was 1 nice lady in a nice motorhome with 3 little yappers. She would take 1 out with her to the social get togethers and leave the other 2 to yap! Constant yapping! Please if you have a dog don't let it yap.
Oh yeah it was very warm and everyone had their windows open to try and stay cool. So everyone had to listen to this constant yapping.

A local radio station often has one particular woman reading the news......she has the ideal voice for sign language.
Along that vein, Garrison Keeler once supposedly said: I have a face fit for radio.

Maybe I’m just getting old and can’t change with the times, but when did the noun “gift” become a verb?

The verb form is “to give”.
I will give a xxx.
I gave a xxx.
I was given a xxx.

I do not gift a xxx nor was I gifted a xxx...it’s just wrong.

Every time I read “I was recently gifted a new bike”, for example, it’s like nails on a chalkboard.

I’m guessing Seinfeld is to blame with his “regifting “ episode, but that was so long ago. It really seems like in the last year or two this change in use has really taken over.

And yes, I’m sure my grandmother had a similar issue with the shortening of the word luncheon...

Those who don't understand the difference between "brakes" and "breaks".

Brakes are those things that stop your car, bike, motorcycle or other vehicle.

Breaks are what you take at work a couple of times a day to get cups of coffee or whatever.

Sheesh.

Breaks are what you take at work a couple of times a day to get cups of coffee or whatever.

Sheesh.

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::greetings10:

My pet peeve of the day: We're using a large pump container for body wash right now. It's getting down towards the bottom, and it won't pump any more out. There's still about 1 inch of product in the container.

Who designs these things? Yes, I can drain it into another smaller, more 'user friendly' container.......but I shouldn't have to !!

Sheesh.

Give me a break!:D

Maybe I’m just getting old and can’t change with the times, but when did the noun “gift” become a verb?

The verb form is “to give”.
I will give a xxx.
I gave a xxx.
I was given a xxx.

I do not gift a xxx nor was I gifted a xxx...it’s just wrong.

Every time I read “I was recently gifted a new bike”, for example, it’s like nails on a chalkboard.

I’m guessing Seinfeld is to blame with his “regifting “ episode, but that was so long ago. It really seems like in the last year or two this change in use has really taken over.

And yes, I’m sure my grandmother had a similar issue with the shortening of the word luncheon...

I’m on your team. Although gift technically can be used as a verb, it still bugs me.

My pet peeve of the day: We're using a large pump container for body wash right now. It's getting down towards the bottom, and it won't pump any more out. There's still about 1 inch of product in the container.

Who designs these things? Yes, I can drain it into another smaller, more 'user friendly' container.......but I shouldn't have to !!
I use refill bottles to reuse the pump container. If for some reason I'm not going to reuse it, or if I'm just lazy getting around to refilling, I take the cap off and use the last bit that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom