What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to this site https://instamotor.com/blog/window-tinting-laws-50-states your state allows just about the darkest tint in the nation.

That's funny, I'd think that the sunny state of CA would allow darker tinting than WA, where half the state doesn't see a lot of sunshine much of the year.

We had our van windows tinted at the legal limit, and you can see inside enough to see what the driver and passenger are up to.

Badly-designed user interfaces. Over the last few weeks I've been through MANY Web sites after getting a PO Box (filled out Change of Address form with USPS but want it on individual records as well), getting a new phone (got logged out of my apps, forgot a few passwords) and freezing/unfreezing my credit after applying for a new credit card.

SO many sites keep telling you to do the same thing over and over when the truth is that the issue cannot be resolved except by calling them or using the Chat feature. Would it kill them to provide a message to that effect?

My pet peeve corollary to yours:

Organizations and people within the org give you a survey and whisper to you that you should make it 5 stars, no matter what. (In this case, even if they rescind the insurance settlement offer.)

Any mine is a corollary to yours.... organizations that ding a dealer or provider for any score less than perfection... that is why I just refuse to do surveys.

Last edited:
Now about the people who make wide right turns. They actually move into the lane on the left - sometimes meant for oncoming traffic - and turn from there. You can't make this stuff up.
Yep, I watched a guy two days ago block the McDonald's parking lot. No one could enter or exit because he needed to make a wide turn to get into the drive thru. He blocked everyone's ability to exit with his extra long pickup. Funny thing is all he needed to do was follow the painted lines. I can drive my pickup truck around that corner just fine.

I have a deep cough from allergies which morphed into COPD . I only smoked for a few years in college and really not much . When people here me cough and say outloud so I can hear "Sounds like a smoker's cough" it drives me insane .Why do people fell the urge to comment ? If they saw an overweight person would they say to them looks like an overeaters stomach or if they saw a jaundiced person would they say looks like you drank a lot ? No of course not so zip it about my cough .

Any mine is a corollary to yours.... organizations that ding a dealer or provider for any score less than perfection... that is why I just refuse to do surveys.
A guy I w*rked with ("Jim") was blackballed from a hotel that our group often stayed at when doing w*rk in that town. Jim's a bit of a fussy/demanding customer, and he gave the manager/hotel a poor review in the survey the corporate HQ sends to travelers. It seems the manager doesn't want to risk that again, so he made up a story about Jim being rude to an employee (it didn't happen) and told him to find a room elsewhere from now on.

I've gotten that message, too. "Please fill out the survey but be aware that any rating less than 5 out of 5 means we'll be unfavorably evaluated". In the most recent case, I'd ordered an oven on-line from a major retailer's site and, while they did say that the delivery people couldn't install it if the electrical connection was hard-wired and over a certain voltage, I was too clueless to realize that there was a 99% chance that was what I had. So, all they could do was leave the new one in the garage. Not their fault but I felt the store could have been clearer and maybe recommended an installer.

I just didn't fill out the survey.

owners manuals that say things like "your model may be equipped with ...." What? I only bought one model. May I please have an owners manual that tells me what I need to know about the one model I actually purchased?

....nope....

owners manuals that say things like "your model may be equipped with ...." What? I only bought one model. May I please have an owners manual that tells me what I need to know about the one model I actually purchased?

....nope....
What do you suppose the cost would be to make manuals for every model and option combination? I get the frustration, but do you think that's practical?

What do you suppose the cost would be to make manuals for every model and option combination? I get the frustration, but do you think that's practical?

yes, I do.

I can't imagine it saves them all that much.

my most recent purchase that stimulated this pet peeve was a pontoon boat that originally listed for $55K...really? 55K and you can't give me a meaningful owners manual?

Last edited:
Mine is a bit strange, but got me mad none the less...

I go to a Chinese restaurant all the time, even buying to go orders... the lady who owns it knows my name...

SO, all of my family, including brother and 4 sisters etc. go there... the food is WAY TOO HOT... they way over spiced it... I was sweating on the hot and sour soup where it was dripping...

The main course comes and I eat part of it but say this is not right... I have been here many times and this is BAD... I get some BS from the guy about 'older peppers' being hotter.... really, I do not care... this is NOT what you normally give..

I finally make them give me one that is not as hot... when complaining to the owner she gives me the same BS about the peppers... no discount, no nothing...

BTW, everybody had the same problem... including my daughter who bought a dish that was NOT supposed to be spicy!!!

It was almost a month ago and so far have not gone back... it was a really good place until this fiasco...

I've gotten that message, too. "Please fill out the survey but be aware that any rating less than 5 out of 5 means we'll be unfavorably evaluated". In the most recent case, I'd ordered an oven on-line from a major retailer's site and, while they did say that the delivery people couldn't install it if the electrical connection was hard-wired and over a certain voltage, I was too clueless to realize that there was a 99% chance that was what I had. So, all they could do was leave the new one in the garage. Not their fault but I felt the store could have been clearer and maybe recommended an installer.

I just didn't fill out the survey.

When they tell me that, it automatically means 1 less star from me.
If that really works, then lets just tell all College students to say the same thing to professors. :facepalm:

If they do a lousy job, or less than perfect, they should get less than perfect rating, I did when in College.

Let's keep this peeve going! :)

Surveys in general are a peeve. Mega, Micro, Nano Corps, you name the size, rarely use them properly. They mostly are used for customer engagement (i.e. gathering data to put into the Big Data engine).

Or they are used to abuse their employees or customers. Yeah, I've been called back and abused for my answers. (Edit: read further and see samclem had a story of exactly what I mean by customer abuse.)

So yeah, pb4, just skip them!

Last edited:
A local newspaper had a survey I volunteered to take.

Somewhere about question #30, I gave up. Later they published an apology for the length and time it took to answer the questions. I figure the point of the survey was to see how long they could keep some fool answering their questions.

After the call from H@@l with Verizon involving switching plans for our business and getting new phones after one of our number with a flip 3g phone got cutoff because it was cloned. ( and used to make 140 minutes worth of international calls) we finally got a rep that sorted everything out and was pleasant to boot.

She told us everything was good to go and they were shipping the new phones ASAP. You don't need to do another thing. So I actually asked to speak to her supervisor and really sang her praises. Only problem, she didn't actually complete the order and never got back to us. I think I got the daily double here, Verizon and customer satisfaction surveys. After all it's your job to "satisfy the customer" why make a big deal out of it.

Last edited:
Surveys in general are a peeve. Mega, Micro, Nano Corps, you name the size, rarely use them properly. They mostly are used for customer engagement (i.e. gathering data to put into the Big Data engine).

Typically I answer only two types of surveys. One is through e-Rewards because I rack up points I can redeem for Hilton points and AA miles. The other is one where the results are made available to me, which is rare. If you want my opinion of my stay at your hotel, go check TripAdvisor.

And you mentioned customer harassment: I once filled out a survey in a restaurant in India (great food but I thought it was high-priced given the low costs of labor, etc.). The manager must have gotten it immediately because he stopped me on my way out and gave me an argument about it. And yes, I'm well aware that they do have to pay extra for backup power, Western-style sanitary conditions, etc.- but he was trying to tell me their costs were reasonable compared to London or NYC.

Never again.:mad:

....nope....

+ 10. I bought a 'house wash' liquid product for spraying on the siding to remove mold. The directions showed a nozzle that was NOT on my sprayer. Turned out I needed a different brand to get that nozzle. A plug for Home Depot brick and mortar store. I mentioned my dilemma to the store manager and he gave me a sprayer of the other brand with the nozzle I needed for free. I poured the liquid from the first sprayer into the second sprayer with the right nozzle and all was well. Seems Brand A buys Brand X and uses who knows what info in the directions.

I'm into corollaries. A corollary to "Owners manual mentions it, but I don't have it" is operating your device -- whatever it is -- and seeing a cheesy blank plate where a switch should be to activate that feature. Oh what a peeve, those blank plates taunt you.

I generally don't take these customer surveys anymore. I believe they are usually designed as a marketing tool to show customers that the company cares, to improve your perception of that company. In my case, asking me to give them 5 minutes of my time accomplishes exactly the opposite. "Your opinion is important to us!" Okay, then pay me in some way. And ask useful questions that get to the point quickly. And don't make my answers/identity known to the folks I interact with at your company.

Washington Post has started putting a thank you Lemming for being a subscriber on every article list. Only it is my full given name. I know, or think I know it only show on my screen but it is freaking me out.
Pretty sure one of the questions for diagnosing schizophrenia was do you think that the radio or tv or newspaper is talking directly to you. Of course that has been outdated for years-I googled it.

Amazon delivery mickey mousing around. I made an order a couple days ago. Was supposed to be same day delivery. Then I got a few updates about delays. One saying not expected until following day. Then not until around Tuesday. Then I get another update saying delivery attempt was made but access to condo lobby wasn't free, will try again next business day. So, I really don't know if an attempt was made or package is delayed as if someone did try a delivery, no one tried ringing my condo unit.

I smell a rat (or mouse) Mickey Mousing around to confuse the issue saying the delay is on my part but I'm not buying it :mad:.

Amazon delivery mickey mousing around. I made an order a couple days ago. Was supposed to be same day delivery. Then I got a few updates about delays. One saying not expected until following day. Then not until around Tuesday. Then I get another update saying delivery attempt was made but access to condo lobby wasn't free, will try again next business day. So, I really don't know if an attempt was made or package is delayed as if someone did try a delivery, no one tried ringing my condo unit.

I smell a rat (or mouse) Mickey Mousing around to confuse the issue saying the delay is on my part but I'm not buying it :mad:.
I agree.. Some time ago we ordered a special cheesecake from Collins Street bakery.. It was sent FEDEX, and the driver was too lazy to deliver it to our house, but just indicated the "office" was closed and it sat over the weekend.
The reorder was delivered to us directly.:confused:

I've never taken as many pills (probably total) in my entire life as I'm taking post sepsis........

Warning 1) May make you drowsy and/or dizzy

Warning 2) May affect your taste

So now I have a compulsion to operate heavy machinery while wearing a leisure suit.

Gas prices. Yesterday, I went by several gas stations with prices +/- a few cents. Then, a station had a $.20 difference per gallon (less). Who determines these prices? These changes happen within literally minutes from each other. I don't drive around looking for the cheapest gas. Just happen to pass several stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom