What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cost of replacement Norelco blades, $64.96 on Amazon. Decided awhile back to use Costco sale and get a new razor which came with an extra set, $149. Practically a free razor for the cost of two sets of heads. Costco sent me an electric tooth brush. Guess there were a couple of peeves in there, but I've been saving up.

People who are “training” their dogs to “sniff out Covid 19”. They are getting tons of media attention and everyone is gushing over them.
Before anyone growls at me, I’m an AKC scent work judge and long time dog handler, but also a former researcher and I’ve talked to scientist friends about this and they say it’s virtually impossible. Maybe years and years from now we might have a method by which K9s can help in this space but geez. It always shocks me how fast people are to accept without question things like this.

People who are “training” their dogs to “sniff out Covid 19”. They are getting tons of media attention and everyone is gushing over them.

I'm sure there are no connections, but I recall seeing a young girl, prone to seizures, who had a dog that could recognize when she was about to have one and push her towards the couch. Smell? Electrical currents?

Can you provide any insights? Would appreciate them.

I'm sure there are no connections, but I recall seeing a young girl, prone to seizures, who had a dog that could recognize when she was about to have one and push her towards the couch. Smell? Electrical currents?

Can you provide any insights? Would appreciate them.

It’s a good question. Up until about 2018 we really didn’t know how dogs could detect a seizure up to 45 min before it occurred. Finally some French researchers did some work and found that the dogs can detect the odor associated with the body’s change in electrical current prior to a seizure. They can detect this from sweat, breath and yes urine.
Their noses are 100 thousand times stronger than ours. Scientists have even tried to build a robotic nose that is as good as a dogs but with no luck.
It’s amazing!

Their noses are 100 thousand times stronger than ours.

Quite a number of years back I visited the Naval Air Station in Kingsville, TX......Marine dog handlers talked about doing drug checks at roadblocks....said that people would wrap drugs in a variety of covers, spray the outside with pungent odors, etc.

Meant nothing to the dogs....they could smell what they were searching for.

Quite a number of years back I visited the Naval Air Station in Kingsville, TX......Marine dog handlers talked about doing drug checks at roadblocks....said that people would wrap drugs in a variety of covers, spray the outside with pungent odors, etc.

Eskimos have stories of sled dogs able to sniff out a trail covered quite literally with several feet of ice and snow.

A long-standing pet peeve of mine, which happened earlier today.

When rebooting my PC to do the latest Windows Updates, a message appears that says something like "Updating Windows... X% complete... Please don't power off your computer." And the X counts up from 1 to 100, obviously.

But when X gets to 100—so, it's claiming it's 100% complete—you still end up waiting another full minute or two, looking at the "100% complete" message! I mean, come on Microsoft developers! If it's 100% complete, the message should disappear instantly and the sign-in screen should appear!!! Argh... such a huge (albeit trivial) pet peeve.

One of my pet peeves happened late last night. We had a brief, 3-4 second power outage due to a lightning strike real close by. The outage lasted long enough that it caused the clocks on our oven and microwave to reset (both are one year-old appliances in a new house). I didn't attempt to reset their clocks because I knew the next small power outage would just reset them again.

In this era of modern electronics, why can't an oven and microwave retain the time during a power outage, especially an outage that doesn't last very long? This pet peeve drives me crazy.

..............In this era of modern electronics, why can't an oven and microwave retain the time during a power outage, especially an outage that doesn't last very long? This pet peeve drives me crazy.
I bought a clock radio to use in my shop at Goodwill and was amazed to find that when plugged in it set the time automatically. Finally!

Yep! They know the target odor and anything else will be ignored.

Eskimos have stories of sled dogs able to sniff out a trail covered quite literally with several feet of ice and snow.

It’s amazing.
HRD (human remains detection) dogs can detect remains several feet down, covered with concrete.

travelover said:
I bought a clock radio to use in my shop at Goodwill and was amazed to find that when plugged in it set the time automatically. Finally!

You have a shop at Goodwill! I am amazed at the variety in this group.

What do you do there? Fix clock radios?

End of lockdown, darn traffic way up. :D:LOL:

You're in the mood for pistachio mint olive artichoke ice cream. You go the store and it's the ONLY ice cream that's sold out.

Depends on what you are watching? If it's a scripted show the transcriber would have a copy of the script so they KNOW what the words are supposed to be. In fact the closed caption is already imbedded at the factory.

Sometimes a character will ask a question and the response of the other character is a disgruntled, or annoyed stream of mumbles designed to be obscenities that you can't say on TV. Hence "unintelligible." If your hearing good enough to sort of keep you in the game you can get the wrong impression.

If it's a sporting event or other live thing people will talk too fast, talk all at once, be overridden by a surge in crowd noise etc. A court stenographer can interrupt and ask for a restatement. On live TV with a transcriptionist OR a speech recognition machine you can't get that.

A new wrinkle in the captioning mystery: When I watch old movies, like 40's to 60's the captioning is always screwed up, but in a particular way. My theory is that they create the captions lazily by scanning an original paper copy of a script into a machine, and that lots of the letters in the script are unrecognizable, and the captioning software replaces the unrecognizable letter with whatever letter was before it. So 'heres lookin at ya kid' becomes 'herrr lookin at yy kkd'.

Yep! They know the target odor and anything else will be ignored.
This. I'm not calling my "outings" with my Labrador walks anymore. It is walk...stop...walk...stop. I figure the smelling is his pleasure. I always look to see what he's smelling, nothing there. He made me laugh yesterday when he stopped to smell tiny leaves higher on a prairie flower. Impossible for it to be urine from another dog. He often follows mole tunnels covered by grass. I have the 24 ft lead that gives him plenty of smelling freedom.

+1. For a few weeks there it was good to have 'normal' levels of traffic, ie, like it was 20 years ago, before 'progress' ruined it. **** progress, lol.

+1. For a few weeks there it was good to have 'normal' levels of traffic, ie, like it was 20 years ago, before 'progress' ruined it. **** progress, lol.

Same thing on the golf course. Used to be that mid day, mid week golf was easy to book and usually cheaper. Now, with people off work (or “working from home”) and the golf courses back open, they’re busier than ever. Looking forward to going back to retiree hours for golf and shopping too.

I'll say one thing for this forum (not that it's not good in other ways, it's just that I want to say one thing). I was able to get a stock picking contest going to show what I could do. I was just banned from a writing forum for "wasting people's time" and received complaints about trolling, with no specific posts mentioned to me. Some of my posts were claims that I'm really good at non-fiction writing. Actually, I only recall one of those, which was pretty much written in joke format and received a "love" comment from a respected user. My claim that I'm meticulous set off the owner who cited forum posts where my writing was a little clunky. It's just a forum! In one post I wished there were tests for hiring rather than a review of job candidates' edited portfolios. I mentioned my distaste for ghostwriting especially when a paragraph I wrote for an organization was quoted and attributed to the person being profiled in the document. I said I wouldn't do speech writing or PR. People hated that stuff.

I couldn't post my recent edits for review, even in a semi-private section, because the before version was someone else's work. No one invited me to PM or email the edits to them. There was practically no recent material posted for users to edit or critique despite a dedicated section for it. Nobody gave me an "oh yeah, try editing this" to test me. Everyone seemed to think there's no way to test for good writing and offered me advice that I didn't need. I've done my own research and I know how to break into the business!

This. I'm not calling my "outings" with my Labrador walks anymore. It is walk...stop...walk...stop. I figure the smelling is his pleasure. I always look to see what he's smelling, nothing there. He made me laugh yesterday when he stopped to smell tiny leaves higher on a prairie flower. Impossible for it to be urine from another dog. He often follows mole tunnels covered by grass. I have the 24 ft lead that gives him plenty of smelling freedom.

With our 4 year old Terrier, it's the same thing. He is male and marks everything. Sometimes after making a spot, he will bark, scrape the area and jump up and down..Quite hilarious to see, but he means business. Whatever!

My pet peeve is spelling . “Loose” when they mean “lose”. This happens a lot on this forum.

That used to bother me as well, but since I got lazy & started using my iMac voice to text feature, I find that even though I check for mistakes after dictating, occasionally one gets through. Because of that, I've become much more understanding when seeing others mistakes.

As long as it's related (distantly) my pet peeve of the day is a person who would reply to you with something 'like' this.

It's like, why are you like, so concerned with something like, so trivial ?
It's like, hello. It's like, I don't have endless time to like, you know, do proofreading all day. It's like, I have a lot better things to do :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom