What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is pretty minor but for a few years now, I've realized there's so much variety in recipes for the same food that it doesn't even matter whether you follow a recipe. You basically just have to make sure the food isn't dangerously undercooked, and that's is. Like, literally. There are even burned things that are supposed to be burned. Whatever you come up with will probably exist somewhere, by some name, or at the very least, your version won't be crazily different from an existing unusual version.

I'm about to make knishes now and I decided to look up a recipe even with this realization. I found a recipe that didn't require butter, so I was happy even though I figured I could leave it our anyway. I knew the black pepper was optional. I knew I could substitute whole wheat flour. I'm not even letting the dough sit in plastic wrap because I've tried skipping that step when making pasta and it's fine. I'm not measuring. If they're 75% thicker than typical knishes, fine. If I invent the pancake kinish, fine.

It's not like I'm such an experienced cook that I don't need recipes. It's just that it doesn't matter if it's different from anything else out there, and it probably won't be.

Have you ever read the recipe reviews on allrecipes ? I swear not ONE single person actually does the recipe as provided, some people make so many changes it's literally not even the same recipe.

Have you ever read the recipe reviews on allrecipes ? I swear not ONE single person actually does the recipe as provided, some people make so many changes it's literally not even the same recipe.

Which is fine, as long as they don't complain about the result. Sadly, they often do.

Which is fine, as long as they don't complain about the result. Sadly, they often do.

There is a very good barbeque site that publishes many recipes. They have this bit at the head of the recipe section, which I like very much:

We know you like to play with your food, but we strongly recommend that the you follow our recipes closely the first time. You will then know what it is supposed to taste like. You may want to substitute honey for molasses, but the sulfur in molasses can interact with beans differently, making the dish less, shall we say, noisy? We have worked hard to get it right and there is a good reason for everything our recipes and all have been well tested. Try it our way the first time, please. Then, on your second go round, you can customize it.

FedEx. "When it absolutely, positively, has to be there... um, sometime this week. Or maybe next week. If we get around to it. And if we don't lose the package."

Drivers who own the road. I was coming home in DW'S firecrackers red Wrangler today when I noticed a full size pickup in my lane coming headfirst toward me because he needed it to pass tractor trailer! Both of us going 65-75 mph headlong into each other. I came to a complete stop and pulled off the road. He was still in my lane as he passed me! I don't think he saw the friendly wave I gave him.

Drivers who own the road. I was coming home in DW'S firecrackers red Wrangler today when I noticed a full size pickup in my lane coming headfirst toward me because he needed it to pass tractor trailer! Both of us going 65-75 mph headlong into each other. I came to a complete stop and pulled off the road. He was still in my lane as he passed me! I don't think he saw the friendly wave I gave him.

An old priest I knew once told us "Some people have to go to H!&#L in their own way. It's best to avoid them." You were wise to pull over.

Recently read a review with a loud complaint that the recipe stinks! Why?

"I simply substituted all-purpose flour for self-rising flour, and the cake came out as hard as a board. This recipe stinks!"

:facepalm::facepalm:

That was close.
I learned from driving in Quebec to have my headlights on, as some "morons" will notice it as they drive headfirst towards me doing their pass 4 cars at one time maneuver. :facepalm:

That was close.
I learned from driving in Quebec to have my headlights on, as some "morons" will notice it as they drive headfirst towards me doing their pass 4 cars at one time maneuver. :facepalm:

After 7+ years driving in Riyadh, I know that everyone else on the road is trying to kill me, so I still act accordingly 32 years later. :LOL:

People who "really care" about their job.......I had a tracking number for an Amazon package that was supposed to arrive on Sunday. It didn't but the tracking info said it had been delivered to the front door on Sunday. I called USPS Monday to ask what happened. The rep said she would need to talk to the carrier and took my phone number. The package was delivered into the garage door mail slot on Tuesday. On Wednesday after repeated attempts I finally got USPS. The rep took the tracking number, entered it, and then a short time later said she remembered me and asked Again for my phone number and said she would have to talk to the carrier. Wondering if I should hold my breath waiting :(

Washington Post had a story today that captured one of my latest pet peeves: USPS holding my package “at the request of the customer.” They confirm what I had already concluded - if it’s late in the day the carrier simply decided he didn’t have time to deliver it. I’m near the end of the route and routinely get mail after 5 PM, and the poor carrier can hardly walk from the street to our front door.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2020/08/27/usps-delayed-packages/

65-75mph on a road that is one lane each direction? Around here those roads are never over 55 speed limit. I hope you weren't going 65-75 in a 55 zone.

That is the biggest problem with drivers today(yes, even worse than phone use IMO).....impatience. People do crazy dangerous things to maybe save a few seconds. Makes no sense to me.

I've always looked at a recipe as a suggestion. I like my food to taste a certain way and adjust all recipes to my tastes. And that is why I don't bake.

That was close.
Years ago we bought a dark green Camry.
The first two days I drove it, on the same stretch of tree line road, someone pulled out in front of me, like they didn't see me coming. I ran the headlights from that time on.

Obvious typographical errors in news stories published by well-known, large news media. For example, here’s a headline from Newsweek: “Little Girl Lost at Sea Found on Floating On A Unicorn.”

This should be embarrassing, but I see something like this nearly every day.

Obvious typographical errors in news stories published by well-known, large news media. For example, here’s a headline from Newsweek: “Little Girl Lost at Sea Found on Floating On A Unicorn.”

All the newspapers and news magazines are struggling. I am sure they have cut lots of employees. Who buys these magazines anymore other than for waiting rooms?

+1. Annoying. If it gets past Spellcheck, it gets printed.

Car dealer sends out letter about how there is great interest in my 2011 jalopy and I should stop in.

I guess the silver lining is that it adds 100% to the workload of USPS. Two letters in Saturday mail.

At least they're not deliberately running you off the road, which happened to me more than once back when I was doing triathlons.

I had a guy coal roll me the other morning. I thought, really? A guy tryin to do the right thing out running my 5 miles and here comes a cloud of diesel exhaust right into my path.

I had a guy coal roll me the other morning. I thought, really? A guy tryin' to do the right thing out running my 5 miles and here comes a cloud of diesel exhaust right into my path.
I'm sure he was just exercising his First Amendment rights. ;)

Car dealer sends out letter about how there is great interest in my 2011 jalopy and I should stop in.

I guess the silver lining is that it adds 100% to the workload of USPS. Two letters in Saturday mail.

We got that letter when we bought the new Honda. Six months after we bought it.:facepalm:
Mine's a Hyundai. Her's is a Honda. Most of the letters are from Hyundai.

We do get a lot of spam email from Honda dealer for maintenance. That unsubscribe link seems to be out of service!

Mine's a Hyundai. Her's is a Honda. Most of the letters are from Hyundai.

We do get a lot of spam email from Honda dealer for maintenance. That unsubscribe link seems to be out of service!

I hope you made sure to get the warranty they offered on your 2011. This is an essential service for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom