What New Mattress

There are several Sleep Number stores near me, and it would appear they have a substantial brick-n-mortar presence with 594 stores in the USA - unlike what most people consider “bed in a box” online mattress sellers with few if any stores.

My point was that it might be possible to find a hotel, B&B or other location to try out any mattress we might be considering for a night or two, whether from an online vendor or a traditional retailer. : )

My point was that it might be possible to find a hotel, B&B or other location to try out any mattress we might be considering for a night or two, whether from an online vendor or a traditional retailer. : )

Many of the online stores offer an in home trial period. With Saatva you have 120 days, they charge a $99 pickup fee if you decide to return it.

Costco bedroom set and mattress, which has some gel in it. Love it all! King mattress, no box spring required cost about $800 one year ago.

What about tempur-pedic? Heard really good things about these mattresses

You might want to do a little more research. Consumer Reports recently did a review of 61 foam mattresses and Tempur-Pedic finished in 56th place.

I've had my TP for years and I love it. There may be better things now, but whenever I sleep in a hotel for more than 2 nights my back reminds me that I miss it.

I've had my TP for years and I love it. There may be better things now, but whenever I sleep in a hotel for more than 2 nights my back reminds me that I miss it.

Mattress comfort is such an individual preference that about the only thing I pay much attention to in reviews of a foam mattress is durability, firmness, and cost. The point of my comment to Byb was to not believe all the hype about a particular brand since what one person might find very comfortable another might find far too soft or firm.

Mattress comfort is such an individual preference.
Absolutely, backs and sleep are very different with everyone. What makes a mattress ideal for me might make it meh for someone else. The good thing about the new online offerings is you can easily return.

We expect to change to a king bed sometime this year. From what I have read, the best choice for a mattress may be one of the online ones, like Casper, Leesa, or Tuft & Needle. I am reluctant to get one that I have not tried. There do not seem to be any to demo where I live. How have people done with these?

I can’t comment on your bed options, but just wanted to say dh and i recently changed from a queen to king bed. Can’t believe we waited this long! We love it! There’s room for the dog and i get a lot of leg cramps and like to stretch my leg at odd angles and there’s room for that as well.

I hope you love it as much as i do!

I bought a Purple mattress and really like it. Macy’s now sell the Purple mattress and have one you can try. But they only had the original Purple mattress and not the newer models. So I’m not sure if it’s much help. Ultimately, bought a newer version online with the 100 day return guarantee. You really need to sleep on a mattress for a week or so to determine if it’s a good fit. I am very happy with my Purple mattress,

You might want to do a little more research. Consumer Reports recently did a review of 61 foam mattresses and Tempur-Pedic finished in 56th place.

Yes, I have read this, and we are leaning toward Casper. We have had a Sleep to Live foam for 8 years or so. Initially we liked better than the old spring one, but now want a king and more comfort.

A few years ago, Tuft & Needle did a promotion with Airbnb owners. I stayed at one where they mentioned the Tuft & Needle mattress and pillows as a feature. Loved the mattress and pillows. If I were to order something new for a guest room, I'd choose them. I might choose them for myself if I were not so devoted to latex (if it's all latex, it doesn't sag over time).

Just wondering if there are any Airbnb places around you that advertise their premium bedding - you could try it out.

Or, maybe Tuft & Needle has a money back guarantee.

We bought 100% latex (medium firmness) from Costco (returnable) and added a convoluted wool wrapped latex topper to make it more plush.

We also went to a king bed and bought the Casper. We had a queen inner spring with a pillow top. We love the Casper.

i bought the purple mattress several years ago- i have an older adjustable frame from a memory foam mattress (top of the line- hated it).
I would DEFINITELY buy the purple matress again. They are (when i bought it at least) a little firmer- so if you want a regular you might want to buy soft. Check the purple reviews on their site- i think you can believe them. Great support, not hot.... and i do not have a huge hole to fall into like the memory foam bed!

Both my children bought Purple mattresses and swear by them, after having select number mattresses. I tried my daughter’s and it did feel very comfortable, so it is one I would consider.

Looking for a new queen size mattress, and with a prompt from ReWahoo just read through Consumers Reports and leaning towards Sleep on Latex. This brand does well in ratings, along with Casper.

Currently have a Tempur Pedic, but after 8 years it has broken down (I am a tall and heavy so that's about the average life of a mattress for me). The TP is memory foam.

This latex company assembles in Chicago and sends a box to your doorstep with a satisfaction guarantee. One of the things I like about the product is a level of certification for not using harmful chemicals.

Anyone have experience with latex mattresses or the Sleep on Latex company?

Most reviews I have read are positive, but lack necessary detail on height/weight of sleeper and soft / medium / firm mattresses. Supposedly latex is cooler than memory foam.

My friend loves her purple mattress and bought a second one.

I couldn't pull the trigger on on-line and ended up with a Serta i-300 from Macys which I love.

I know based on reviews I would buy direct and not thru like an Amazon as places like Amazon store them and you don't know how long its been stored so they don't always re-inflate properly and numerous had reported bed bugs, it freaked me out. However, the direct ones should avoid those issues.

I like Latex - for breathability and it doesn't get those "wells" in it. Keep in mind if there is "any" other kind of foam around or above it, or if there is a layer of wool, these will flatten.

There is a Sleep Science 100% Latex mattress from Costco. At least it's returnable if it doesn't hold up. I consider it medium firm, not soft of top. You might want to add a convoluted or eggshell topper if you like plush or soft.

I have had a Queen sized Nectar mattress for a year or so. I love it. It’s amazingly comfortable. It’s one of those online foam/gel ones.

Beware of pillowtops! If you live in a warm climate, be aware that pillowtop mattresses can be very hot....causing you to sweat a lot in bed. I had no eczema until I bought a premium ($1,200) mattress from Sears. I don't recall the line. It was very comfortable at first (although still hot), but after a few years, developed a large sag in the middle, but not enough that it was covered under warranty (the warranty listed the 'sag' limit in inches; I measured, and mine was just short of the deflection 'allowed'). In Hawaii, most mattresses made locally are made of recycled materials...caveat emptor!

We went from a water bed that used tubes to an adjustable Sleep Number bed..Paid way more than it should cost but being able to adjust the firmness has been just the ticket..We both like a very soft bed and this allows us to get it exactly right..Really good for anyone with aging hips and shoulders..Would not trade it for anything...

I've had a Saatva mattress "Plush Soft- Cal King" for about two years now and very happy with it. A solid foundation is needed, I built one on my bed using plywood over the slats. An existing box spring foundation should serve the same purpose. No issues with delivery, they come and set it up on your bed and believe they will take away the old one if you want (I kept mine).

We love our Saatva (king). They took our old king mattress with them and that was much appreciated. One less thing to do.
Next time we mattress shop I want to give Tuft & Needle or Purple a try. Everyone raves about them and I’m too curious not to give them a whirl. Maybe for the guest room we’re setting up next year.

Back
Top Bottom