Votes: 107 33.9%
  • Down -11% to -20%

Votes: 155 49.1%
  • Down -21% to -30%

Votes: 50 15.8%
  • Down -31% or higher

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters
FWIW I went to 45/55 AA last May to try to implement the Inverse Glidepath strategy to try to mitigate sequence of returns risk now that DW has fully retired Jan 2019.

Aw, come on, take a peek. See if you were successful, or not. After all, we are in one of those sequence of return times right now.

Is the rate of return over a CD ladder really worth the grief of riding the roller coaster?

Watching my dad suffer through the 70s bear market cured me of buy and hold.

Is the rate of return over a CD ladder really worth the grief of riding the roller coaster?

Watching my dad suffer through the 70s bear market cured me of buy and hold.

Nobody can answer that question for everybody. It all has to do with each person's need, willingness and ability to take risk. For some of us, it's not grief to ride the roller coaster because we have a pretty firm belief of what's on the other side. But it's definitely not for everybody.

I am approximately +5 to +10% due to treasuries such as VUSUX. Treasuries are the only asset class that rises during a bear market due to the flight to quality.

I reallocated from 60/40 AA to 100% treasuries in Summer 2019 because (1) The yield curve inverted, (2) Jeffery Gundlach recommended that 2019 should be an asset preservation year, (3) I never believed a bull market last forever, (4) It was my retirement objective to avoid the next bear market which can make a HUGE difference in your portfolio.

I am now slowly buying equities at depressed prices to restore my 60/40 AA so I expect my portfolio to be approximately +30% after the recovery when a typical passive investor will be back at 0%.

Kenny Rogers (RIP) stated in his song the Gambler: you have to know when to hold them, know when to fold them and know when to walk away. I decided to walk away after a record breaking bull market.

This is my best bear market ever.

Why would I want to know? That's the kind of thinking that leads to panic selling. In 2008, I was shredding my brokerage statements without opening them.

What I know is that I've got 7 years of withdrawals in low volatility assets. Much more than 7 if travel stays curtailed. I'll stick with doing important stuff like teasing grandsons over tele-conference. -- Doug

Thanks for the poll made me look more closely:
YTD -26.5%
Lowest -36.6%
100% stock and almost 100% VG broad index and almost no portfolio monitoring, but did shift a few deck chairs on the way down. Real estate not counted.
I have never gone to cash, but this "correction" has been so long coming, that I am kicking myself not recognizing that virus would be a sufficient trigger. I will be looking under couch cushions for cash (but probably won't touch HELOC) to buy.

Down 16% 44/36/20 ytd
I have cash to dollar cost into the market starting on 4/1 until the end of the year.

My nephew sold all his stock in February right before the peak.... Baastard:angel:

Only time will tell. Very heavy real estate. Rentals, short term discounted notes. In good stock market years, I under perform, in bad stock market years, out perform.

One borrowers spouse said that I should forgive interest during this time. I am curious as to what will happen with my rentals and rent. Will the bank forgive or defer my mortgage(s) on the rentals?

Tough to say where I will be in a few months, if real estate prices drop significantly, then, yes, I'll take a loss.

It was a lot worse a week ago. Kinda surprised that my REITs took the largest hit compared to other categories.

I’m not surprised. All those non-essential businesses having to close? Consumers not out shopping at stores. Malls closing.

Just curious how other people are doing.

I'm curious why you would assume everyone is down for the year.

My portfolio is up 7.5% for the year and I still have about 40% cash so I can snatch some deals up if the market falls further. I cashed out some Tesla Jan. 2020 and Jan. 2021 calls near the beginning of January and I didn't re-invest the proceeds which is why I still have so much cash. The market just seemed too "toppy" to me and I wanted some better deals. Everything I looked at seemed like it would be cheaper in the future and I already had too much TSLA due it's stellar performance through January. I still haven't sold any shares but I added 200 more at $360 recently.

My largest holding, Tesla, is up 27.5% YTD but my other stocks dragged my average YTD performance way down. :(

Even when I include the recent free fall due to the pandemic, I'm up 6.4% over the last 12 months and up an average of 6.7% year after year over the last 10 years. That's the way I choose to look at it. We all tend to cherry pick the high against where it is now. Pretty depressing way to look at it. I've been through several of these major downturns starting with Black Monday in '87. When you're in it for the long haul, you have to get real and realize these looses are only on paper, unless you are foolish enough to panic sell.

Last edited:
I didn't vote, as there wasn't an option for "don't know". I'm on the same page as the several people here who tend not to check their portfolios during steep corrections. This is my first significant correction/downturn since retiring and I'm quite proud of myself so far. I have not experienced any twinges of fear, or strange feelings in the pit of my stomach. I am far more concerned with making sure my kitty with kidney disease gets her sub-q fluids, finishing the basic solar installation on my camper van, and trying to figure out if I should let my best friend come over to hang out in these strange pandemic times. Have not given much thought to my portfolio, and I think that's a good thing. I suppose I will have to look at it at some point, but it could easily be several months before I have to, if not longer.

Honestly, I'm really happy with myself so far. I've suspected that downturns wouldn't bother me too much, but didn't know for sure. So far, so good, but it's most likely early days yet.........

I haven't been looking much...but my last paycheck had my annual bonus.

So I was down 28% with a little bounce back to only -19% after the last few days. We'll see how long this little "rally" lasts!

Down 11%--dang it, I almost made the first cut! I suspect there is further down to go, but we will see.

Just down about 30%. My TSP is all stocks, 80 C fund, 10 S fund and 10 International fund. That comprises about 70% of my holdings.

Vanguard Wellington (Moderate) is about 60/40 and Wellesley (Conservative) is 35/65.
Both down around 10% (approx 25% of holdings) and

Dodge and Cox International Stock Fund (5% of holdings) is down maybe 25%

I'll turn 65 soon, and I'll address my asset allocation in 3-5 years, but so far, I'm staying put.

I've been investing since just before the Black Monday crash in 87 when I was a young pup. I've learned my lessons, and when prices are down, I BUY.
Unfortunately, I have no earned income, so I'll stay put til then.

My Crystal ball is in the shop, and I don't know when the market will make a comeback. But It will.

I have no idea, hard to track. For example IRA capital gains aren’t really tracked, so this year’s withdrawals from stock funds only show up as regular income.

Other than just to brag, I don’t see the point of this and other similar threads of posting your performances.

Back
Top Bottom