What trips have you taken over the last 3 years?

Trips for us:

Sequoia & Kings Canyon Natl Parks
Lassen Volcanic Natl Park
Bath England and Italy (southern Italy tour + central Italy on our own)

San Diego + Maui Hawaii
Mammoth Lakes, day hikes in eastern Sierras
Carmel-by-the-Sea

Death Valley
Canada - Banff, Jasper, Waterton Lakes
**Netherlands, Munich Germany, Austria

**Favorite of this bunch. Probably because of variety and interesting history.

Multiple trips to Anacortes, WA
Spokane, WA & Bonner’s Ferry, ID
Puerto Morales, Mexico
Madison, WI
La Grande, Or
Multiple trips to Bowie, MD

Madison, WI

Oregon & Washington coasts
Multiple trips to Houston, TX
Madison, WI

Multiple trips to Houston, TX
Las Vegas, NV
Maui & Kauai, HI
Cruise of S.E. Alaska
(So far)

Favorite was the small cruise ship tour in our backyard. Hawaii a close second.

We travel a lot. Plus my career took me around the world from a very young age. We have residences on both coasts plus one in Europe (Switzerland). We use our homes as travel hubs. We have cars and bikes at all our homes so we do a lot of road trips. We also do a lot of short hop flights to various destinations and get around with rental cars at our destinations. I didn't include any of the trips within California (home base).

January (business trip)- LAX to Ankara Turkey (via Munich) (3 nights stay), Ankara - to Singapore (via Frankfurt) (3 nights stay), Singapore to LAX
February (business trip/Conference)- LAX Viareggio Italy (via Florence and rental car) 4 nights stay, La Spezia Italy/ Lerici Italy, 2 nights stay, drive up to Milan Italy 1 night stay, Milan to LAX
March (business trip) - Lax to Istanbul Turkey, drive to Izmit Turkey by car (2 nights stay), drive to Ankara Turkey (3 nights stay), drive back to Istanbul (2 night stay) and toured Istanbul before returning home (LAX)
April - Las Vegas (2 nights)
May - (business) Lax - Rome Italy (3 nights) and back to LAX
June - No travel and retired at the end of June 2015
July - South Florida (Palm Beach (2nd home), Miami, Ft Lauderdale), 1 month with a trip to Washington DC and Annapolis MD.
August/September - Lax - Paris (3 nights)- Geneva, Lausanne Switzerland (3rd home) for 7 weeks with road trips by car to France and Northern Italy.
October - Toronto and Montreal Canada, Las Vegas
December - South Florida (Palm Beach, Ft Lauderdale, Miami)

January - South Florida (Palm Beach, Ft Lauderdale, Miami)
March - Las Vegas
April-May - Geneva, Lausanne Switzerland (7 weeks) - Road trips all over Switzerland, France, and Italy.
June - French Riviera Nice, Monaco, Cannes (10 days with a rental car)
October - Las Vegas, Zions National Park
December - South Florida (Palm Beach, Ft Lauderdale, Miami), Turks and Caicos

May - London England, Geneva/ Lausanne Switzerland
June- Geneva/Lausanne Switzerland, Venice Italy
August - South Florida (Palm Beach, Ft Lauderdale, Miami)
September - Vancouver British Columbia, Whistler
November - Las Vegas
December - South Florida (Palm Beach, Ft Lauderdale, Miami), Space coast
April - Las Vegas

booked trips:

June - Alaska
July - London England, Brighton, South Hampton
August - Geneva/Lausanne Switzerland
September - Barcelona Spain
December - South Florida (Palm Beach, Ft Lauderdale, Miami)

Last edited:
2015 Spring: Transatlantic Santo Domingo to Barcelona (14 nights). Barcelona to Lisbon. 6 nights Lisbon. Train to Porto. Few days Porto. Fly to Toronto.

2015 Fall: Fly Toronto to Genoa. 7 nights Genoa, with day trips. Train to Marseille. 7 night Med cruise, (same French ship as Spring transatlantic). Train Marseille to Genoa. Back to Toronto.

2016 Spring: Same French ship St. Maarten to Barcelona, 12 nights. Trains from Barcelona to northern Spain, stays in Leon/Ourense, then train/bus to Porto. (Stay in Porto and fly home from there), 14 nights.

2016 Fall: Fly Toronto to Malaga. 18 nights, (various day trips) in Malaga. 13 night transatlantic Malaga-Miami.

2017 Spring: 2 Nights Costa Rica. 3 back-to-back cruises, (32 nights), on Spanish ship from Limon, Costa Rica, ending in Bergen, Norway.

Bergen to Krakow, Poland. 7 nights Krakow. Bus to Warsaw. 4 nights Warsaw. Fly to Toronto.

2017 Fall: 13 nights Bulgaria, (based out of Sofia...day trips by train), fly Sofia-Rome. 13 night transatlantic Civitavecchia to Puerto Rico. Fly to Toronto.

2018 Spring: 13 night Spanish ship transatlantic, Santo Domingo to Lisbon. Fly to Bucharest, Romania, from Lisbon. 13 nights in Romania, trains/buses to various locations, ending up back in Bucharest. Fly home..(couple nights in Germany).

Pending: (Booked and/or paid for) 2018 Fall: Fly to Toulouse, France, on Sept 25. Stay in Toulouse, make our way (likely through the Pyrenees) to Perpignan, France, where we'll stay a couple/few nights...thence Barcelona to catch a 13 night transatlantic (October 18) to Miami.

2019 Spring: 13 night transatlantic Ft. Lauderdale to Copenhagen. Fly Copenhagen to somewhere in the Baltics, (probably Riga); unfinalized 'plan' is to train/bus around Latvia/Lithuania/Estonia/Belarus wherever possible, (apparently at this time, to avoid visa requirements, one has to fly in & out of Belarus....we'll 'worry' about that over this winter).

Duration on land undetermined. Will fly home from wherever we get the best deal...perhaps take a ferry to Helsinki.

5 National Parks and Monuments in Colorado
2 1/2 weeks at National Parks, Monuments, and other sites in northern Arizona
Eastern Caribbean islands cruise
Spacefest VII
Norway - southwest and Lofoten
Western Caribbean cruise
Hocking Hills Ohio and Starved Rock Illinois state parks
Yosemite, Sequoia, Kings Canyon, central Sierras
southern Utah - the "Big 5" national parks, 2 monuments, 3 state parks
Patagonia

2015 Winter: Thailand, Malaysia, Australia, cruise to Fiji, cruise to NZ. 3 months

2015 Fall: Vienna, Prague, Budapest for 10 days. Then Malta for 10 days. Then Sicily for 19 days. Then a last minute 9 day cruise from Rome to Barcelona. Flew Home

2016 Winter: Thailand for three weeks, Cambodia for 10 days, Vietnam for 30 days.

2016 Fall: Greece, Greek Islands for six weeks. Weekend in Paris. Flew home. Last minute AI to Puerto Vallarta in Dec.

2017 Summer/Fall; Drove across Canada, flew to Newfoundland for a week, flew to Ireland for a week. Time with friends in Quebec City and inlaws in Ontario. Last minute AI to Puerto Vallarta in early Dec. AI with daughter/family in Cancun for a week over Christmas.

2017 Winter: Argentina, South America Cruise around the horn, Chile for a few days, Panama for two weeks, Costa Rica for a two weeks.

2018 Winter: Two months. Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand

2018 Spring. Just cancelled a China trip for medical reasons. Nothing else planned but looking at a visit to in laws in Ontario, then a side trip to somewhere Europe for a few weeks in the fall. Maybe even add a last minute cruise is the price is right. Might do a short organized tour to India without DW in November.

Winter 2019: Probably Thailand for a month then Australia for a month.

Had to think about that and edit.....it gets foggy after a while! With the exception of cruises and AI's, all travel has been independent.

Last edited:
All y’all put us to shame. :blush: Fortunately we got a lot of travel in during our careers, business and personal, but not as much as many above - WOW!

2014 Alaska cruise

2015 Hawaii cruise, Thailand, Hong Kong, Taiwan

2016 Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Diego, Ohio, Kentucky

2017 Hawaii, Seattle, Canada, Las Vegas, Denver

2018 Canada cruise, Los Angeles. Thailand, Hong Kong, Malaysia and maybe Vietnam next month

Well, now I feel like an amateur, but for me, two big trips a year plus a few smaller ones are enough.

2015- Iceland with DH. Wow. We loved it. We had plans to return in 2016 but DH was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia midyear and died in November, 2016. So, we just had road trips to see family in 2016.

2017- Cruise in Costa Rica and Panama including the Panama Canal in April. Attended meeting of my former professional society in Toronto in May- I like Toronto and they always get good hotel deals. Went to Iceland with a day trip to Greenland in August and to Ohio for a class reunion in October.

2018 India and Nepal in March; Edinburgh with a couple of days in Paris coming up in September.

I'd have to say my favorite trip was India and Nepal even though I'm unlikely to repeat it; 3 weeks away from home was a lot and I blew most of my FF miles to get there and back in Business Class. And, as the guide said, it wasn't a vacation as much as it was an experience. All my neurons were firing- interesting discussions with the people, read the papers every day, saw monkeys, camels, a tiger, erotic temple carvings, the Taj Mahal, the cremation ghats at Varanasi, and learned a lot about Hinduism and Buddhism. Not an exaggeration to say it was life-changing in some respects.

Toledo, OH including the zoo and art museum.

We enjoy travel, whether in the US or international.
Unlike some, we have our favorite places and tend to go back to them because there is always something new to discover.

Colorado
Florida space coast
Oregon
Edinburgh & London
Bavaria & Prague
Georgia
Ontario
Washington, DC & Philadelphia
Atlanta

Anchorage
Colorado
Tennessee
upstate NY
France & Germany river cruise
Belgium & northern Germany
Georgia
Colorado again
London

Hawaii
Colorado
Phoenix
Zurich
Galapagos
upstate NY
Bavaria
Netherlands/Germany/Lucerne river cruise
New England
Colorado again
New Orleans

Trips that we enjoy (ed) the most

-winters in Thailand
-late summer/fall or spring in Italy or Greece

We are always ready to go.

We didn't go anywhere in the past three years and didn't want to! :LOL:

Just yesterday we were talking about that. Hurricane season begins in six days, and as always, that could mean future evacuations. :eek: We both feel more reluctant to do that this year than in past years. We love staying here in New Orleans, in our nice homes where we are happy and comfortable. We are extremely content, and we don't like it when anything (even a hurricane) messes with our nice, predictable retired lives.

During most of my life I traveled a lot all over the world, and then within the US for work. All of this travel was not my desire, but because I had to. So, I feel like I have BTDT. What I always longed for was a real feeling of home, and I have that now. When people ask me where I'm from, I have an answer now and I no longer have that deer-in-the-headlights look on my face.

Last year, we did a road trip over 6 weeks through France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, and Belgium. Had been to these countries earlier in prior trips using trains, but using a car this time allowed visit to more remote and secondary places in the countryside.

My best RV trip was a long trek from the Southwest of the US to the Canadian Maritimes, with stops at Thousand Islands, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City. It was a 2-month trip, which was way too short.

In 2015 we went to Poland for 10 days with my kids. My DIL is from there and we did a combination of sightseeing and hanging out with family. In 2016 a cruise to Alaska and the Caribbean. 2017 2 Caribbean cruises. 2018 a cruise t New England and Canada. We left from Boston so went there 4 days early. In June we leave for 6 weeks driving trip. Nevada to Texas, Kansas, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Canada, glacier national park, Idaho and home. In 2015 we also did a month RV trip to Texas, Kansas, Denver, Yellowstone, grand Tetons, Idaho and then home.

We didn't go anywhere in the past three years and didn't want to! :LOL:

Just yesterday we were talking about that. Hurricane season begins in six days, and as always, that could mean future evacuations. :eek: We both feel more reluctant to do that this year than in past years. ...

I did not include the evacuation we did last year because of fires. We went all the way to Davis, California (110 miles away from home). :) I guess if it looks like a good idea to evacuate, best to do it early. And who knows, you might have a good time doing it.

Just in case anyone (not W2R in particular) feels like sticking around home and enjoying life, that is just fine with me.

2018 - Ethiopia / Malawi / London x2 / Washington DC / Philadelphia / Cottage - which is just outside Bruce Peninsula National Park/Fathom Five National Park.

2017 - London/Southern UK x3 / Malawi / Cottage (many times) / Vancouver / Turks and Caicos / Tampa / NYC

2016 - London x3 / Uganda / South Sudan / Miami / Tampa / Ixtapa / Cottage (again) / Baltic cruise / Copenhagen / Sweden / Chicago and South Bend.

Probably have left out a couple.

Our car broke down right outside of Davis so our weekend hiking trip turned into spending it in Davis which is a cute little college town.

Most of our travel is between our house in Illinois and condo in Arizona. I don’t count air to/from or Arizona snowbird stays as trips. But I consider road trips between the 2 as trips.

Road trip to Az
Road trip back to Il
Solo trip to DC, md, va
Grand Canyon from Condo

Key west
London,Ireland
Road trip from Seattle to LA

Road trip Az -Il
Road trip il- Az
Road trip to New England

Las Vegas
Currently on road trip from Az-Il through Sedona,Zion,Bryce,Tetons, Yellowstone, Mt Rushmore,Badlands

Hard to pick a best trip- I liked them all

Last edited:
Portland, Oregon and coast - Photography course.

Warwick NY - acrylic painting course.

Albuquerque, NM - Balloon Fiesta

Corning, NY - glass making course.

Golf School - Shawnee on Delaware

Mt. Rainier and Mt. St. Helen area - Hiking

Bryce and Zion National parks - Hiking

Marble Canyon AZ - hiking

Crater Lake, OR - hiking

I probably enjoyed golf school the best. The treated us well and the instruction was decent.

Just returned 2 weeks ago on cruise NYC to Southampton with stops in LeHarve, Portsmouth, Azores and Cork. Then did car trip out of Dublin to Ring of Kerry.

December, 2017--cruise from Canaveral to Bahamas.

April,.2017--cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Rome with stops in Azores and Spain. Flew to Budapest for a week.

August, 2016--Spent 3 days in Copenhagen before Baltic cruise to Warnemunde, Tallin, St. Petersburg, Helzinki, Stockholm and back to Copenhagen. Flew to Oslo and took Norway in a Nutshell trip by train and hydrofoil to Bergen.

April, 2016--cruise from Rome to Malta, Crete, Santorini, Turkey, Athens and 2 ,other islands before ending in Venice.

April, 2015--Florence, Tuscany agriturismo, Venice day trip, Siena/San Gimignano/Volterra, Orvieto, Rome

After 30 years of constant business travel all over the world, I am pretty much done. But...

2015 - Tomahawk, Wisconsin, Santa Clara California- family trips
2016 - Dorr County, Wisconsin (auto club meet)
2017 - Central California - family trips, Waterbury, Connecticut - friends and family trip
2018 - Leaving for Cedarville, MIchigan (U.P.) to build a boat - 5/31 - 6/14

Scottsdale AZ
San Diego CA
Pebble Beach CA
Cabo San Lucas MX
NY, NY
Las Vegas, NV
Charlottesville, VA
Wells, ME

Miami Beach, FL
Kiawah Island, SC
Charlottesville, VA (twice)
Boston, MA
Stowe, VT
Lenox, MA
Scottsdale, Az

Tuscon, AZ
Charlottesville, VA
Tampa, FL
Rome, Positano, Florence Italy
Playa Del Carmen, Mx
Newport, RI
Jamaica, VT
Mashpee, MA

2018 so far...
Savannah, GA
Anna Maria Island, FL
Daphne, AL
Nashville, TN
Pittsburgh, PA
Tuscon, AZ
Tampa, FL
Boston, MA
Las Vegas, NV

Favorite trips by year:
2015: Pebble Beach
2016: Scottsdale, AZ
2017: Italy
2018: Anna Maria Island (so far)

Alaska inside passage + Denali NP
Lake Tahoe family reunion

Pinnacles National Park (CA)
Rocky Mountain NP and Central Colorado

Yosemite
Point Reyes National Seashore (CA) and nearby Armstrong Redwood State Park

Oregon & Washington college tour — not really a vacation, but probably the only family travel this year will be college visits...more on the horizon :)

Favorite was Alaska because it was just a few months after ER and really helped me get past that “still thinking about the office” stage.

Back
Top Bottom