What type of milk do you drink?

I love milk, but too much (so it can add to my overweight problems). Therefore I don't drink it often.

When I do, I drink Carnation powdered nonfat dry milk.

Attachments

• milk.jpg
    milk.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 118
Organic grass-fed whole milk, non homogenized. You can see the cream on the top.

When younger, I used to drink 4% milk on a regular basis. Loved it. Not sure why that tailed off, but I haven't drunk milk in years now. I do consume about 8oz of full fat plain Greek yogurt from Trader Joe's most days. I put Coffee Mate in my coffee and - wait for it - in my tea also (black tea of course). Whenever I tell folk that I put Coffee Mate in my tea, they grimace, or worse. I'm surprised my family in the UK are still talking to me.

... Whenever I tell folk that I put Coffee Mate in my tea, they grimace, or worse. I'm surprised my family in the UK are still talking to me.

I shouldn't doubt it. It is an abomination to put anything in one's tea, of course.

I prefer Kiefer (fermented milk). It has a long refrigerated shelf life of several months. I primarily use it on steel cut oats. Would drink it on regular basis but it's on the expensive side and is not always available. I typically buy it Aldi's. $3.29 for a quart.

Her Majesty and I go thru a 1/2 gallon of whole milk a week.

We buy cream and make our own half n half.

And we keep buttermilk on hand to make the biscuits.

(If it is not from a cow, it's not milk)

I recall dear old Dad telling me that when he was a kid on the farm, they would make butter by first separating the cream from whole milk, leaving what we now call skim milk, but what they referred to as “blue John.” It was fed to the pigs.

2% milk. Like from a cow. It is one of my pet peeves that things derived from nuts and seeds can be called 'milk'. I think their should be a law! (I guess I should move to Europe!)

Last edited:
I recall dear old Dad telling me that when he was a kid on the farm, they would make butter by first separating the cream from whole milk, leaving what we now call skim milk, but what they referred to as “blue John.” It was fed to the pigs.

We made butter in class when I was in elementary school. Dad talked about milking the cows growing up.

We put half and half in our coffee. Low carb but not no carb. That’s it.

We don't drink it, but my wife buys small portion container once in a great while. When we have it it's 2% milk. The little girl has it when she is here.

We do not drink milk.

We put 2% in our coffee and tea.

We do not drink milk.

We put 2% in our coffee and tea.

If you drink the tea or coffee, then you do drink milk. Semantics. :LOL:

If you put the milk in and then pour the tea or coffee down the drain, then you maybe don't drink milk.

If you put the milk in and then pour the tea or coffee down the drain, then you maybe don't drink milk.

I took his comment to mean they don't drink milk "neat". I think we knew what he meant.

2% milk. Like from a cow. It is one of my pet peeves that things derived from nuts and seeds can be called 'milk'. I think their should be a law! (I guess I should move to Europe!)

We use unsweetened coconut 'white stuff' in our coffee. :)

The reason is that it doesn't turn as quickly as milk does. It lasts for a very, very long time. It also works fine for baking. Not so much for cooking, so that would be when I would buy a real milk product.

Last edited:

Well, really. I should make myself a little more clear for those who have trouble arriving at a basic assumption.

I do not drink milk by itself, ie as in a glass of milk. Never have, not even as a child. I do put a small amount in my coffee and tea.

Does this clarify things for you and make you just a tad happier?

I used to not drink milk at all, but I bought an Nespresso machine because I fell in love with Starbucks' latte. One shot of espresso with 3/4 cup of frothed 2% milk. Heaven.

Skim

My Mom put me on skim when I was a kid - -I. drank so much milk she did it for fat purposes.

So 80% Skim. I actually prefer skim on its own, with food or cookiies, etc... Although when I eat cereal - you know, something that comes out of a box that says Kellogg's on it and has carbohydrates and hopefully other stuff I can't spell nor pronounce.... I love whole milk. So I do half skim, and I schlepp whole milk from the kids jug. The cool one with the red cap.

Whole milk for cereal and a cup to wash down pancakes 2x a month.
Almond milk for daily spinach smoothie.

Whole milk, heavy cream on cereal, & real butter. You can't do that unless you keep your cholesterol under control, of course, but it's definitely worth the effort!

I grew up with two families who owned cows, & until I left for college, I often milked a cow for my daily lactose. I'm in my late 70s, & have never outgrown my love for "real milk!"

There are many health professionals who believe that there is absolutely NO CONNECTION between the cholesterol in our diet and that in our bloodstream. Our body manufactures cholesterol!

Regular milk is 4% fat so even "fat free" is not that big of a reduction. In addition, fat free/skim has more calories per ounce AND because if does not have even that little bit of fat, it means that the carbohydrates are absorbed quicker and may cause high blood sugar spikes. Fat of all types helps slow down the absorption of carbs and evens out blood sugar.

Consider an aggressive walking program for 2023. I don't mean 5-10,000 steps a day but aim for 15,000 and higher each day. In 2021, I entered a "Run the Year" challenge - as in 2021 miles walking (and I counted every step I took. And, yes, I completed that challenge on Christmas Eve. When I had my blood work now for my annual physical in November '21, my LDL had gone down 50 points. I now enter frequent sanctioned walks of up to 15 miles (yes, those really take a lot of the day) and am going to be doing some more in Texas in February and, if I do well there, planning to attend an event in The Netherlands in July. (This year only 1,800 miles but still not shabby).

I don't drink milk or use it in coffee or tea. I never liked the taste of milk, even as a kid. The few times a year I buy milk for cooking I will generally buy whole milk.

Back
Top Bottom