What was your happiest moment today?

Today (09DEC2019), at the end of watching “It’s a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood”, realized that I had just viewed a perfect movie.

Thank you all, and please keep your happy moments coming. I'm really enjoying reading these posts. On this my first full day of retirement, my happiest moments thus far have been reading your posts of happiest moments. And that's saying a lot! I got up and had a fine breakfast at this hotel, and had a nice conversation this morning with a gentleman with two full years of retirement under his belt.

My happiest day yesterday? Waking up around midnight and listening to the rain coming down outside, and then savoring the thought that today I won't have to go to w*rk. Right now I'm envying those of you who were able to retire younger. I can't believe the freedom I feel today!

Took DW to the El Dorado for sunset cocktails and tapas, then stopped for ice cream cone on the walk home in PV. Her favorites.

Today (09DEC2019), at the end of watching “It’s a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood”, realized that I had just viewed a perfect movie.

I have not yet seen this movie but plan to. We need a lot more kindness in this world.

Thank you all, and please keep your happy moments coming. I'm really enjoying reading these posts. On this my first full day of retirement, my happiest moments thus far have been reading your posts of happiest moments. And that's saying a lot! I got up and had a fine breakfast at this hotel, and had a nice conversation this morning with a gentleman with two full years of retirement under his belt.

My happiest day yesterday? Waking up around midnight and listening to the rain coming down outside, and then savoring the thought that today I won't have to go to w*rk. Right now I'm envying those of you who were able to retire younger. I can't believe the freedom I feel today!

congratulations! 14+ years for me but I can still remember the joy when I walked out of my office for the last time. I'd be less than honest if that joy wasn't tinged with a small bit of sadness..a very small bit. the 'Everyday is Saturday' club is wunderbar!

Pacergal said:
This year, my DGS, age 4, helped me put the ornaments up. He was very careful and it got to the point where he said "and where is this from, Grandma?" every time he picked one up. It was delightful!:smitten:[

Decorating the tree with my grandmother is one of my treasured memories. Your post made me happy today! :flowers:

My happiest moment of the day?

Well, it takes a lot to surpass the joy of awakening very, very slowly in my own bed this morning, in my Dream Home with everything just the way I want it. This while knowing, of course, that I do not have to go to work and yet still have enough income. By the time all that sank in, I was stumbling out to get my coffee and that first sip of good, strong coffee is heavenly!

But that moment was rivaled by the moment when I stepped outside, in my shorts and sandals, to see a lovely, sunny day awaiting us, with perfect temperatures and a little breeze.

I don't think it can get much better than that. :)

My happiest moment of the day?

Well, it takes a lot to surpass the joy of awakening very, very slowly in my own bed this morning, in my Dream Home with everything just the way I want it. This while knowing, of course, that I do not have to go to work and yet still have enough income. By the time all that sank in, I was stumbling out to get my coffee and that first sip of good, strong coffee is heavenly!

But that moment was rivaled by the moment when I stepped outside, in my shorts and sandals, to see a lovely, sunny day awaiting us, with perfect temperatures and a little breeze.

Wow! You articulated beautifully what my dream of retirement is! Thanks for sharing.

Attended a Christmas event at my local wine bar which I do business with. It's about as close to a 'Cheers' type of place near me. Good music, good company, and a good glass of wine. IOW, very good Wine, Woman, and Song.

I have not yet seen this movie but plan to. We need a lot more kindness in this world.

+1
Movie was excellent. Felt good after the movie. He appeared to be a truly genuine guy.

Waking up at 4:40 am, which has been my wake up time for a while now, even in retirement. But, I don't have to get up if I don't want too! I snuggled down into my comforter and went back to sleep :)
Now drinking coffee and here on the forum with all of you--the best part of waking up, to quote an old commercial-lol

Thinking along with the thought of keeping warm this year, I was able to use my harbor freight chainsaw sharpener on two of my 20" chains so I will be ready for my next outing. There is a certain satisfaction about saving $5 per chain, per sharpening from a $30 sharpener (that I have already used 12-13 times).

Also, I took an old BBQ grill plate (flat metal with periodic air holes), and made a rigid 6"x10"x4" metal basket with elevated feet, for burning wood pellets in my woodstove on days that a big log fire is too much. A 40# bag of processed wood pellets is only $6 from TSC, and may try shelled corn as well, which is even cheaper....8000 BTU per pound, and this basket will hold about 8#.

The day's not over yet, but I had a lot of fun at the off leash dog park this morning. The weather is turning all grey, but this morning the clouds were still a beautiful silvery mosaic, with great blue herons perched in the trees above. Happy people enjoying being outdoors with their dogs, and listening to Xmas carols on the drive back also contributed to a good feeling!

A good thread, thanks OP.

It was a beautiful day (80*F )here in Florida, went out to the neighborhood lake, with the neighbor who is also retired. Then we went out for lunch, just chatting along about general things from family, money & politics.

It felt nice reading the other posts on this thread.

Woke up this morning to a blanket of fresh snow. It's supposed to snow for the next day!
Woke up to birds singing, & 82 degree temperature. Will go ocean swimming in a little while. ;)

It's cold here today so I decided to use the oven for a while. Made a double batch of Ina Garten's sauce for Penne alla Vecchia Bettola. It is basically a long-roasted tomato sauce with vodka. The vodka intensifies the smell and taste of the tomatoes, and OMG the house smelled amazing all afternoon.

I love to cook and spending several hours doing it made me really happy. And tomorrow night I'll be serving dinner to a group of my favorite family members, many from the next generation, which I'm sure will be tomorrow's happiest moment.

Went kayaking with DW at a nearby creek that leads to the Gulf of Mexico. Saw bald eagles, ospreys, great blue herons, little blue herons, white pelicans, and lots of other birds. Even caught two fish along the way. Came back home and enjoyed a glass of home-brewed beer on the porch with a few friends. 80 degrees and sunny here today............just beautiful.

I’d like to join in. Great topic. I workout at an Orangetheory 4x a week. Today I felt strong and put in a lot of effort so I was tired in a good way. Came home to a beautiful bouquet of flowers from my DH. It was a great day all around.

Four of us have plan to dine at Fleming's Steak House tomorrow for a birthday gathering. DW and I went to Costco and found Fleming's Gift Card for sale ($80 for $100 value). Bought $300 worth for $60 savings. That made me happy. And I shot 87 round of golf which is a good score for me. Exacta!

My whole day today was great! Woke up at 6am, fed the dogs and read e-mails until 8am when I needed to call SAM's to cancel an on-line order. The lady told me it already shipped, but not to worry; the vendor/supplier doesn't want it back, keep it and she'd refund my credit card. This was almost $2,000 in garage cabinets, a Christmas gift to myself. Went to visit Dad at the retirement home. He has dementia/alzheimers and it's getting worse. The new Reader's Digest came out and I read him the jokes and funny stories. Usually he doesn't pay attention, but this time he did and laughed at all the right places. Left there to dinner with DW at a new restaurant, a BBQ smoke meat place. I tipped the waitress the cost of the bill and wrote Merry Christmas on the tab. On our way to the car, she rushed out with a gift box of three BBQ sauces and thanked us for the tip. Off to the movies to see FrozenII with our son and his family; wife and 4 grand kids. The littlest is 6 and adopted last year. She clung to me during the scary parts and kept asking me questions about the movie. On the way to the car, I carried her and got her all loaded up and seat belt on. She told me, I love you Papa. It's the first time she's told me she loves me. Got home to several ordered Christmas gifts for family and new rugs for the house before the relatives arrive for the holidays.

Back
Top Bottom