What was your happiest moment today?

2 happy moments today making other people happy:

1. The lead guy on my gardening service crew just started his own gardening business on the weekends with his son. I made him a simple business card and printed 30 for him. Now he can take it to a printer and get more made. He was very happy!

2. Drove top down, gorgeous weather and scenery! Pulled into a small parking lot by a viewpoint. A family on e-bikes stopped nearby to take photos, and I offered to take it for them. They were happy, and liked how the photos turned out!

I went to Costco this morning. I know it would be bad timing, as the couple of days before Thanksgiving the place gets crowded VERY quickly, but I had no choice. So I went prepared for battle :).

I arrived about 15 minutes after opening, and the parking lot was PACKED. entrance backed out onto the street. BUT... as crowded as it was, there were many pleasant encounters that made, for me, happy moments:

PARKING LOT: Going down a row, looking for an empty space. I see one at the end, on the left side. As I approach it, another car comes around the from opposite direction, also looking for a space. A classic standoff, but... I wave to the car to go ahead. I'm retired, I am not in a hurry. Amazing, they open the door and the following conversation ensues:

Them: "you were here first, you take it!"
Me "You sure? It easier for you to get in."
Them: "Don't worry about it, the lot cannot stay full forever"
Third Party, walking to us with a cart " Hey, I am done and parked over there (points a little ahead of me to my right). One of you can have my space, I'll be quick".
Me: "OK, I'll take your space, its on the right. You (pointing to the other driver) take the open space, its easier for you and will keep the traffic flowing better".

"Problem" solved, we all agree, and wish each other Happy Thanksgiving.

INSIDE: Crowded, but a lot of room to negotiate. No fights, no scuffles, everybody seems in a holiday mood. The usual stranger encounters trying to get through aisles or areas were augmented many times with "Happy Thanksgiving".

There were lots of folks hovering around the $5.99 apple/pumpkin/pecan pie setup. Some folks clearly on a mission to buy lots of them, I observed about half dozen people with at least a dozen pies, and others with empty flatbed carts waiting to load them up. Costco employee pull up with a rack full, but instead of people taking them off the rack, they wait from the employee to unload them. Some even help without putting any in their cart. only after the cart is empty do people take them, and it is in a calm, polite manner. I hear a few people joke "they're ready for this, they never run out of them".

CHECKOUT: At the self checkout, one staff employee wishes another happy birthday. I and others also do the same. Them someone starts the singing happy birthday to her... and everyone at the checkout station joins in. All strangers, but hopefully giving some joy to the employee. She definitely enjoyed it.

BACK IN THE PARKING LOT: As I am unloading my car, a car pulls up waiting for me. I wave and indicate I will be pulling out. I load my car and as I get the empty cart, a nice young woman ( "young" being somewhere under the age of 65 :)) comes out of the car and offers to take my cart so that I do not have to take it back to the cart return stall. I slowly pull out, my window is down, and the song "Sun Goddess" by Earth, Wind & Fire is playing through my car speakers. The woman (who is now coming back to the car, runs over exclaiming "OMG I l LOVE that song!" So we have a brief conversation about the joys of being Earth Wind, and Fire fans, and she turns and yells to two younger people in her car (maybe her kids or grandkids) "See, this is real music!" They laugh, I laugh, and we wished each other Happy Thanksgiving.

In a busy, crowded situation, among strangers of varying backgrounds, for me these were a few happy moments to enjoy.

In a busy, crowded situation, among strangers of varying backgrounds, for me these were a few happy moments to enjoy.

Great post!
Congratulations on your good morning, and give yourself credit for being open to it (on what could have been a rough one).

Mine is kinda silly but true. I have COPD and it is hard for me to walk very far. My DW has been getting short of breath this last year as well and recently after tests was put on night time oxygen. Then last week her lung Dr. put her on portable O2 as she was down to 33%. Along with that she sent her a form to get one of the blue handicap parking passes. We went to the tag office to get it and the nice lady also gave her the licence plate for her car at no charge, which we had read in the form we filled out it would be $20.00. Not a make or break but nice. Then after we left there we went to grab some lunch and the parking lot was packed---but looky there a handicap space right by the door. It was wonderful. Then we had to stop in Kroger for her prescription that was ready and same thing packed lot but blue spot open in front. I parked and let her stay in car while I went in. My COPD isn't quite as bad as hers but my old knees and back still appreciated not having to walk as far into the store!

Finally woke up with no coughing! Day 7 of prednisone, this has been a month long process. Every test negative so far, no pneumonia, covid, flu, rsv.
Just simply an asthma/RAD exacerbation. But I lost 5 pounds, no desire to eat and coughing my fool head off, so there is that to be happy about also :)

This being Thanksgiving, having a nice meal with my family (wife of 56 years, 2 daughters, son-in-law, and one of 3 granddaughters) was a perfect way to spend several hours.

(One other granddaughter was on duty as an EMT and another is in South America for the rest of the semester).

Our little dog slept quietly between us, and I woke up with her more or less under my chin like a violin. She started doing some quiet grunting and cuddling up, and gave me a little kiss on the nose.
Usually this means "get up I need to go out" but no, she settled back down and snuggled and grunted and rubbed her face in my hand. We hung out for another half hour, which seemed longer.

Your post made me smile.

Finally woke up with no coughing! Day 7 of prednisone, this has been a month long process. Every test negative so far, no pneumonia, covid, flu, rsv.
Just simply an asthma/RAD exacerbation. But I lost 5 pounds, no desire to eat and coughing my fool head off, so there is that to be happy about also :)
My DW and you are a pair to draw to. Her's started out with covid and went to pneumonia, and she is still having some bad days and uses the inhaler. I am glad you are feeling somewhat better.
Perhaps we'll all feel good enough for a meet. in a month or two!

Got home too late to report on yesterday's festivities. Our TG meal and fellowship were fantastic. Traffic was very light and we made good time up toward the North Shore area. Surf was rolling just up to the road which was very impressive.

Food was good as usual and we met several new people. One couple, we'd never met (she from Manoa, he originally from Lebanon) had amazing travel stories to tell. One young lady was 97 (our host's grandma.) She was quite a hoot. Her grandson was directing her to a comfy chair (leaving her walker/chair) for a comfy one on the lanai. She said "Is my ass really that big?" She brought down the house.

We met a lady from mainland China who was a guest of one of our host's neighbors. It really was an international affair. We got back on the road before dark and made Waikiki just at twilight. What a great day. We felt very welcome which is a wonderful feeling when you're 5000 miles from your native surroundings. We were blessed, indeed.

Today at Aldi's, I bought the groceries ($76) of the mother with two boys (8 and 10?) who was in line ahead of me. Reminded me of my mother with her two daughters many, many years ago. As she was putting her groceries on the belt, I asked her if I could purchase her groceries and she agreed. Felt great to help a mom out because I still remember how stressful grocery store trips used to be because money was tight. Kind of like going back in time to help my mom.

Today at Aldi's, I bought the groceries ($76) of the mother with two boys (8 and 10?) who was in line ahead of me. Reminded me of my mother with her two daughters many, many years ago. As she was putting her groceries on the belt, I asked her if I could purchase her groceries and she agreed. Felt great to help a mom out because I still remember how stressful grocery store trips used to be because money was tight. Kind of like going back in time to help my mom.

I love reading about something like this! Way to go, Buckeye!

We finally found a good, used Casita trailer locally at a good price. We've been looking for more than a year. Seems like most Casitas are sold out of Texas, where the factory is, Arizona, and California, and we were thinking we might need to do a road trip to pick one up. Used Casitas sell pretty fast, and we feel lucky to have gotten a hold of this one.

Yesterday was our day with DGS age 4, we watch him every Thursday. It started out pretty good, went down hill quickly (he has had a cough for a few weeks and just wasn't feeling good).
A few tears and tempers later, Grandma offered to make her special French Toast.
Happy boy afterwards.
Tears or smiles, any time with Grandbabies is precious.

I woke up this morning to the realization that three years ago today (12/18/20) was the last day I ever worked for pay.

While I was technically "on the payroll" through 12/31/20, all the days after 12/18/20 were holidays for my employer.

While I relish every single day of retirement, I think the smile on my face today might be a little bigger than normal, just remembering this little anniversary. :D

I woke up this morning to the realization that three years ago today (12/18/20) was the last day I ever worked for pay.

While I was technically "on the payroll" through 12/31/20, all the days after 12/18/20 were holidays for my employer.

While I relish every single day of retirement, I think the smile on my face today might be a little bigger than normal, just remembering this little anniversary. :D

Congratulations!

Heh, heh, my smile just keeps on getting bigger. Enjoy.

Remembering that icy cold day 33 years ago today that my second daughter was born! I won't get to celebrate with her today, as I'm still testing positive for covid, but I can remember that frigid day when that warm little pink bundle of joy joined us like it was yesterday!

Yesterday we went with DS and DGS, age 8, to a local pond where DGS could try out his RC boat that we got him for Christmas. He has wanted one for a few years.
He was able to spin , race and dive the boat. His Dad was glad that the controller had beeps warning before going out of range and for low battery.
He also got a bike and he and his Dad went for two bike rides during the day.

He was so excited and had a grin on his face from ear to ear! Precious.

Met with our local ohana group yesterday for lunch. Our first topic(s) of conversation included our various ailments (from myalgia all the way to cancer.) It goes with the territory for those of us in our 70s and 80s. BUT talk soon turned to kids and grand kids. We ALL had pictures on our phones of the little bundles of joy.

Then we ate a delicious meal (huge pork chops for some, wonderful meat loaf for others and fish for others.) We had a big laugh when someone mentioned that the group had suddenly grown quiet after the food arrived.

There is so much wisdom in that group of a dozen or so friends that I've gotten close to in the past dozen years. I treasure our time together and look forward to our next gathering. We are a true melting pot with those of Hawaiian, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Philippine and Ha'ole ancestry. It's the way I picture heaven.

After lunch we had our gift exchange which was mostly store bought or home made candy and cookies. BUT I scored a BLUE ANGELS pen which was given to one of our group by a crew member! I wouldn't say they are rare, but not everyone has family in the BLUE ANGELS crew!

This evening I finished reading my 40th book for this year.

When I retired at the end of 2020 one of the luxuries I looked forward to the most was having time to read for hours on end.*

I keep track of the books I read because I read a lot of series; if I didn't keep track I would find myself re-reading books! :facepalm:

2021: I read 22 books
2022: I read 26 books
2023: I read 40 books

In 2024 I'm aiming for one book a week.

*Please don't anyone cue up the Twilight Zone episode "Time Enough at Last" because that is my greatest nightmare! :eek:

Please don't anyone cue up the Twilight Zone episode "Time Enough at Last" because that is my greatest nightmare! :eek:

That episode struck me too, as a bookworm child. Now I have very weak eyes and reading gives me a headache but audio books and podcasts keep me pretty happy.

That episode struck me too, as a bookworm child. Now I have very weak eyes and reading gives me a headache but audio books and podcasts keep me pretty happy.

When my eyes get tired, I switch to my Kindle. The ability to choose the background color/brightness/font/font size is such a treat!

*Please don't anyone cue up the Twilight Zone episode "Time Enough at Last" because that is my greatest nightmare! :eek:

:LOL: That is DW's nightmare as well! She loves to read and reads probably 50-100 books a year (one reason we have 3000+ books in our home). Twilight Zone episodes can scare here, and after watching that episode she literally had a nightmare. She never wants to see that one again.

:LOL: That is DW's nightmare as well! She loves to read and reads probably 50-100 books a year (one reason we have 3000+ books in our home). Twilight Zone episodes can scare here, and after watching that episode she literally had a nightmare. She never wants to see that one again.

Tell your wife I feel her pain! Much respect to your home library - I thought I had a lot of books!

Since retiring I spend a lot of time here: https://www.thriftbooks.com/ and here: https://www.wob.com/en-us and of course at the library.

I try to hit the library first, and only try the other two if I can't locate a book at a nearby library, because the websites are real rabbit holes.

Back
Top Bottom