What was your happiest moment today?

I found out today that my son and daughter in law are going to have a baby!! It will be our first Grandbaby and it took hours for it to feel real.
Best day everšŸ„°

I found out today that my son and daughter in law are going to have a baby!! It will be our first Grandbaby and it took hours for it to feel real.
Best day everšŸ„°
Congrats to you as well as the parents! When we found out 12 years ago we sold our home,packed up and moved so we could be part of our granddaughter's life. It has worked out very well. :)

Congrats to you as well as the parents! When we found out 12 years ago we sold our home,packed up and moved so we could be part of our granddaughter's life. It has worked out very well. :)

That is the next thing we have to decide. They are 1 1/2 hours away from us, but it is not an easy trip. (Long Island to Northern NJ) My husband complains about the drive the whole way there and back, doesn't bother me as much.
We have to stay at least 3 years more because child #3 is graduating high school and starting a local 2 year college here.
The decision is hard because we absolutely love everything about where we are now and really hate to leave it for the unknown and giving up the things we love. But a grandbaby is a big temptation.

We finally found a good, used Casita trailer locally at a good price. We've been looking for more than a year. Seems like most Casitas are sold out of Texas, where the factory is, Arizona, and California, and we were thinking we might need to do a road trip to pick one up. Used Casitas sell pretty fast, and we feel lucky to have gotten a hold of this one.

This post came to mind last week when DD#1 said she and her husband had been to the local RV show to look at small travel trailers. She had a list of a few they had seen and were considering and wanted my input since I've had 40 years experience owning RVs.

I looked at the list and offered my opinion. I also told her I thought one of the best small RVs was a Casita, but that they were difficult to find on the used market and there was usually a several month wait to purchase one new. She told her husband who did a search and found one (1) Casita for sale in the entire state (TX), a 2020 model in great shape.

Today they both took the day off went on a 350 mile road trip to see it. They purchased it and are currently on the way to a RV park for the night. Should be interesting as the overnight low is forecast to be in the teens.

My wife is not a Luddite, but is not as tech savvy as me, and she had a smartphone that would not ring. I tried everything I could, and no luck. I called tech service and spent over an hour with them and nothing helped. At one point the tech asked if there was someone else in the house he could talk to.
That really pissed me off. I told him I was a graduate EE with 50 years experience and did not want to be talked to like that.:mad:
In the end, I ordered a Samsung phone that arrived today. DW and I spent an hour or so getting it set up, and she was able to call, receive calls, send and receive texts.
I updated her contacts, and she pointed out I did not have my smartphone listed in contacts (oops).
We celebrated with a shared IPA. She is not much of a beer drinker, but I found I had a mini beer stein we picked up in our travels, so that is hers.:)

Last edited:
Today they both took the day off went on a 350 mile road trip to see it. They purchased it and are currently on the way to a RV park for the night. Should be interesting as the overnight low is forecast to be in the teens.

Should be interesting indeed! The RVers I've talked to say that for your first time you should go somewhere near your home and get familiar with how everything works and see if there are other things you need. I'm also going to practice towing and backing up with the trailer, which I've never done before. DH has a CDL, so he can coach me.

How do RVs and trailers do in prolonged freezing weather? We've had several days in the teens and 20s, and the trailer is ok sitting in the driveway with a little space heater in itā€”but then it's winterized and snug in its cover.

Yesterday:

My distance vision has been getting worse over the last 18 months or so. Sometimes it feels like I'm looking through a layer of film (I know, cataracts) which makes driving slightly uncomfortable.

I used to get an annual eye exam every spring like clockwork, but I neglected to schedule it in the spring of 2023. I've been a little lax about keeping up with some things since retiring.

I bit the bullet yesterday and went for the exam, fully expecting my eye doc to declare that I must have the cataract surgery NOW.

To my surprise, she said she can correct one eye to 20/30 and the other to 20/40 with a stronger prescription for now. Sometime in the next 18-24 months I will most likely need the surgery.

At my last appointment in 2022 she said my cataracts were "mild." They have advanced quite a bit since then.

The doc thinks that the cumulative effects of the chemo I had in 2018, the five years of Tamoxifen I completed in October of 2023, and my age all hastened the cataracts. I hit the trifecta, as it were.

I knew cataracts were a risk of the chemo and the Tamoxifen, but I wouldn't change any of the choices I made, because I'm still here and still kicking. :)

And for the moment, very happy I can put off the cataract surgery for just a wee bit longer.

Last edited:
Submitted an app for my son's passport. Time for some international family travel. :dance:

Getting a new battery for my iphone 11 at the Apple store. 4 year old phone and still doing fine. Under $100.

This post came to mind last week when DD#1 said she and her husband had been to the local RV show to look at small travel trailers. She had a list of a few they had seen and were considering and wanted my input since I've had 40 years experience owning RVs.

I looked at the list and offered my opinion. I also told her I thought one of the best small RVs was a Casita, but that they were difficult to find on the used market and there was usually a several month wait to purchase one new. She told her husband who did a search and found one (1) Casita for sale in the entire state (TX), a 2020 model in great shape.

Fiberglass RV's are hard to find and almost a cult like status. They hold their value extremely well. Used are pricey but the wait for new can be long. They have great long term durability as many from the 80's, 90's, even the 70's, are still going strong. Can't usually say that about "stick built" trailers which often end up with leak issues.
Good find.

Actually a few days ago when temp was at 3F, pulling into gas station to tap my CC to the pump's card reader, leave the engine running, then sit in the warm cab, while filling up my suburban with 35 gallons of gas, damn the $3 59 per gallon price or the 12 MPG and be on my way in 7 minutes. Lfe is good. :) Good to be well off sufficiently to not care about gas prices.

Fiberglass RV's are hard to find and almost a cult like status. They hold their value extremely well. Used are pricey but the wait for new can be long. They have great long term durability as many from the 80's, 90's, even the 70's, are still going strong. Can't usually say that about "stick built" trailers which often end up with leak issues.
Good find.
Wodner if fiberglas RVs have condesation problems. When I had my Argosy Aluminium camper in winter camping condesation was a fairly big problem.

Good find.

+1

I was surprised the Casita was still available for them to purchase yesterday as it had been listed for sale on the web for about a week. I doubt that would have been the case had the weather been better, that winter storm during the week really discouraged travel.

Another factor was the fact the original owner was an artist and thought the plain white exterior would make an excellent canvas for a mural. No doubt that discouraged some potential buyers.

DW says their first mod will be removing it. :)

Attachments

• b05aa32a0511c33c5d2c5bd1fa59a132.JPG
    b05aa32a0511c33c5d2c5bd1fa59a132.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 5
My first post in this thread.

Yesterday, sitting on the couch, looking out at the snow falling, and one of our two new adopted cats curled up on my lap, just for a few minutes. she's the more skittish of the two, who we believe are about a year and half old. In just 3 weeks time she's gone from hiding under furniture to sitting on my lap, even if just for a minute.

It was a nice moment.

My back-stimulator finally seems to be w*rking. Not 100%, but I was able to walk/stand for 45 minutes straight yesterday. (Not pain free - but bearable pain.) First time in 2 years. I have high(er) hopes now but I guess we'll see. Tech gave me several new "programs" to stimulate my back.

Yesterday, sitting on the couch, looking out at the snow falling, and one of our two new adopted cats curled up on my lap, just for a few minutes. she's the more skittish of the two, who we believe are about a year and half old. In just 3 weeks time she's gone from hiding under furniture to sitting on my lap, even if just for a minute.

It was a nice moment.

I've experienced that moment many times with different cats over the last 40 years.

There's nothing quite like the moment a rescue cat chooses to trust you for the first time - it's an honor that never gets old!

Wodner if fiberglas RVs have condesation problems. When I had my Argosy Aluminium camper in winter camping condesation was a fairly big problem.
I think they can get condensation. We have an aluminum camper and try to always run an exhaust fan on low speed and crack one window. Haven't had any condensation issues

+1

I was surprised the Casita was still available for them to purchase yesterday as it had been listed for sale on the web for about a week. I doubt that would have been the case had the weather been better, that winter storm during the week really discouraged travel.

Another factor was the fact the original owner was an artist and thought the plain white exterior would make an excellent canvas for a mural. No doubt that discouraged some potential buyers.

DW says their first mod will be removing it. :)
Hah! I would want to remove that too.

Nothing better than having your grandchild spend the night! Fun times.

It was a nice moment.

Nice. Welcome, Kings.

I wouldn't know - DW and I don't yet have any grandkids. BUT - our only daughter is 2 1/2 months pregnant! So - we hope to find out soon. :)

Congratulations!

Loved having my son and grandson over this weekend and they spent the night, even though they live nearby. Grandson loves to be here and get spoiled!
But , happiest moment today is resting up from yesterday:LOL:

Congratulations!

Loved having my son and grandson over this weekend and they spent the night, even though they live nearby. Grandson loves to be here and get spoiled!
But , happiest moment today is resting up from yesterday:LOL:

We have friends (early 80s) who needed to move in with their daughter and daughter's husband due to failing health. Then my friends' adult grand daughter moved home with her 3 year old boy. Since then, much as they love the little guy, they get little peace (night or day.) Some times, GKs (in this case, GGKs) are too much of a good thing!:(

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom