What was Your Workout Today?

An ice rink sounds like the place to be during the hot season. I never learned to rollerskate so am quite sure that I would be a menace to myself and others for a good long while.
Although I do hear a skate can be pretty handy to a novice if stranded on a tropical island. :)
For now I will be satisfied with the 5+ mile steep, rocky, dusty trail run available right out my back door. Just did about 6 miles. Did not see another soul. My kind of run. :D

This is like preaching to the choir, but thought you'd get a kick out this one:

1383995_599103136795343_937281489_n.jpg

This is like preaching to the choir, but thought you'd get a kick out this one:

I love it! :LOL: My mother worked out until her mid 90's (passed away just short of 98) and I hope I am working out if/when I reach 102 also.

I have resumed going to the gym, but with seriously gentle/reduced workouts until I see my doctor again next week for another followup after my fall. He still isn't letting me drive, and I forgot to ask him about working out. Anyway, when he gives me the green light, I'll have plenty of time to ramp things back up at the gym. Yesterday I used 16 of my 20 weight machines, and only lifted a total of 55% of what I was lifting before my fall. Still, it feels good to just move a little like that and I will retain the muscle memory.

They moved all the weight machines around and not one of them is in the same place, or near any machine it was near before. Apparently they got a consultant who persuaded someone that this is a good idea. :LOL: What an amazingly thorough shuffle. Plus, they added about 10 new ones. So, the cardio part of my workout is just walking around looking like this:
~~~>> :confused: <<~~~​
and trying to figure out where everything is. :D

W2R,

During our recent home move and loss of internet connectivity for a few weeks, I didn't know you had a fall. Hoping for your speedy recovery back to 100% and glad to hear you are taking things slow in the gym. Also, I can empathize with confusion when the gym moves things around, messes me up when they move only a few pieces of equipment, let alone a major reconfig like your gym did.

W2R,

During our recent home move and loss of internet connectivity for a few weeks, I didn't know you had a fall. Hoping for your speedy recovery back to 100% and glad to hear you are taking things slow in the gym. Also, I can empathize with confusion when the gym moves things around, messes me up when they move only a few pieces of equipment, let alone a major reconfig like your gym did.

Thanks! Glad to see you back on the internet, and hope you are settling in nicely after your home move.

Just to fill you in, about a week and a half ago I had completed my workout and was standing around talking to another woman at the gym, telling her how great I felt. Suddenly I began to feel faint, fainted, and fell and hit my head, knocking myself unconscious briefly.

I saw my doctor, and he said I am healthy but did a CAT-scan of my brain just to make sure everything is OK in there. I will get the results of that when I see him again next Wednesday.

Meanwhile, after perusing the internet I think I finally figured out why I fainted. I didn't do a cool down! I read this online and it just rings true to me:
Why do healthy people faint after exercising? The answer to this question is actually very interesting. When people are involved in high intensity exercise over at least several minutes, they require a LOT of blood flow to the working muscles. So the blood vessels in our muscles, especially the legs, dilate to accommodate all this increased blood. Now, our body depends on contraction of our leg muscles to push blood from the legs back up to the heart. During intense exercise our ability to maintain adequate blood pressure depends on this pumping of blood back to our heart by our legs. If you suddenly stop running, the blood return from your legs to your heart suddenly drops and so you don't have enough blood to pump to your brain--plop, down you go.

So, lesson learned - - I will always do a cool down from now on.

Last edited:
Muscle endurance work today:

7 minutes of 8 deadlifts at 185 pounds supersetted with 12 dumbbell thrusters at 30 pounds.

3 minute rest

15 minutes to complete:
1000 meter row and 20 burpees
750 meter row and 15 burpees
500 meter row and 10 burpees
250 meter row and 5 burpees

Made it to the 10 burpees when time ran out.

20 minutes - 542 calories burned

Did my usual weight lifting routine (2 sets of 10 lifts on each of 20 weight lifting machines), except that I still can't find two of the 20 machines that I usually use! This is due to the reorganization at my gym.

I think they got rid of the Cybex abdominal machine (couldn't find it anywhere), but they got two more of the (much better) Nautilus abdominal machines. Both Cybex and Nautilus abdominal machines were in my workout before, so I guess I'll have to do 4 sets of 10 on the Nautilus machine now. Also, I used the Cybex fly machine and can't find it so I'll switch to the Nautilus fly machine.

Anyway, I lifted a total of 13 tons on the 18 machines I was able to find. I used to lift 17 tons before my fall, but I am taking it easy this week as I recover. I am feeling much, much better, though and it felt great to get back to lifting. :D

Been working hard.. 30 minutes calisthenics daily 30 minutes strength training daily.. In addition to this, the past 2 days .. Yesterday ran 14 miles today Bike 45 miles Swim 1.2 .. Meeting with a triathlon coach Wednesday to develop a program because I registered to compete in a half ironman competition in May on the big island of Hawaii!!!

Hiked 4.5 miles, which on the surface sounds mild. But we were in Sloan Canyon and had an elevation gain of about 600 ft. Again sounds mild, but when you're a TX flatlander going uphill for long stretches is tough! Hope that within a month or two I'll be able to scamper up the hills instead of plodding.

Been working hard.. 30 minutes calisthenics daily 30 minutes strength training daily.. In addition to this, the past 2 days .. Yesterday ran 14 miles today Bike 45 miles Swim 1.2 .. Meeting with a triathlon coach Wednesday to develop a program because I registered to compete in a half ironman competition in May on the big island of Hawaii!!!

Wow, that's a lot of exercise! After my knee problems, I've only been getting 3-4 mile runs, 3x per week, and 3 mile walks a couple of times, plus all the outdoor work on my 2 acres.

This one burned just under 1600 calories:

Row 500 meters in less than 2 minutes
50 walking lunges with 50 pounds dumbbells
50 front squats holding a 45 pound weight plate at chest height parallel to ground
50 hand release push ups
50 Burpees with kettlebells in each hand and a jump

Rinse and repeat

Love the weight machines at my gym! :smitten:I am so lucky to have so many fine machines available to me there. Today I began by stretching at the stretching station for about 10 minutes, and then lifted a total of 18.2 tons on the weight lifting machines if you add up the weights from every lift. This was by doing 2 sets of 10 for each machine:

pounds| machine
120|Keiser triceps pushdown machine
70|Keiser upper back machine

45|Keiser biaxial chest press machine
75|Nautilus lateral pulldown machine
35|Nautilus fly machine
70|Nautilus triceps extension machine
100|Nautilus abdominal machine (first round)
70|Cybex arm extension machine
175|Cybex calf rotator machine
90|Cybex leg curl machine
70|leg press machine
35|Cybex overhead press machine
160|Cybex back extension machine
35|Nautilus arm curl machine
55|Nautilus chest press machine
110|Nautilus compound row machine
110|Cybex hip abductor machine
155|Cybex hip adductor machine
105|Nautilus abdominal machine (second round)
50|Cybex leg extension machine
85|Cybex seated row machine

Then, since all four seated elliptical machines were in use, instead I rode the stationary bike for 15 minutes at level 6, 2.3 miles. Nothing for most of you, but for me this got both my heart rate and respiration rate up nicely and was suitably challenging. Since I am reading "Younger Next Year", I wanted to do more of this for longer but this was all I could do today. I could barely crawl back to the locker room. :LOL: I will just keep at it and it should get easier.

The gym was more crowded today than usual. I guess lots of gym members must have decided on improving their health for their New Year's resolution.

Last edited:
2 hours of figure skating. No idea how many calories burned. OTOH whaen I got home there was a large tray of brownies with extra chocolate topping. Did have a few squares.

Love the weight machines at my gym! :smitten:I am so lucky to have so many fine machines available to me there. Today I began by stretching at the stretching station for about 10 minutes, and then lifted a total of 18.2 tons on the weight lifting machines if you add up the weights from every lift. This was by doing 2 sets of 10 for each machine:

pounds| machine 120|Keiser triceps pushdown machine 70|Keiser upper back machine
45|Keiser biaxial chest press machine
75|Nautilus lateral pulldown machine
35|Nautilus fly machine
70|Nautilus triceps extension machine
100|Nautilus abdominal machine (first round)
70|Cybex arm extension machine
175|Cybex calf rotator machine
90|Cybex leg curl machine
70|leg press machine
35|Cybex overhead press machine
160|Cybex back extension machine
35|Nautilus arm curl machine
55|Nautilus chest press machine
110|Nautilus compound row machine
110|Cybex hip abductor machine
155|Cybex hip adductor machine
105|Nautilus abdominal machine (second round)
50|Cybex leg extension machine
85|Cybex seated row machine

Then, since all four seated elliptical machines were in use, instead I rode the stationary bike for 15 minutes at level 6, 2.3 miles. Nothing for most of you, but for me this got both my heart rate and respiration rate up nicely and was suitably challenging. Since I am reading "Younger Next Year", I wanted to do more of this for longer but this was all I could do today. I could barely crawl back to the locker room. :LOL: I will just keep at it and it should get easier.

The gym was more crowded today than usual. I guess lots of gym members must have decided on improving their health for their New Year's resolution.

Sounds like you are back to that vigorous workout and then some. May be you can retitle the book to Younger this Year:cool:.

Do you drink any kind of recovery shake (eg Protein/BCAAs) after your workouts?

Sounds like you are back to that vigorous workout and then some. May be you can retitle the book to Younger this Year:cool:.

Do you drink any kind of recovery shake (eg Protein/BCAAs) after your workouts?

Thanks for the kind words. No, although I did have half a grilled chicken sandwich at lunch right afterwards, and that, plus resting for a few minutes, perked me up. I intended on throwing out the bread but somehow that didn't happen. :blush:

Just a 5k on the treadmill today. Starting to get back in shape following sports hernia surgery. Been walking but for me I need to run in order to lose weight which is a goal of mine. Necksurgery and a car accident a couple years back have taken away most of my previous active sports life.

Twolfy, good work getting such a great treadmill workout so soon after surgery! I need to lose weight too, and I am going to Weight Watchers and working on it. But, to be honest, mostly I work out for the other benefits like having a body that can do more and feeling younger.

Today at the gym I did the same weightlifting routine as above, but 18.8 tons this time due to increasing a few weights. I love weightlifting! :dance:

I also rode the seated elliptical at level 8 for 20 minutes, 2.7 miles. For me that was pretty challenging and a step up from Monday's workout. Here's a video showing what the seated elliptical is for those who don't know. Our gym recently acquired four of them, and I think they are so cool. These machines are very similar to a stationary bike, but your feet travel a bigger, elliptical pattern. They are very popular and almost always in use, so I was lucky to get one.

Octane Fitness xRide xR6 Seated Elliptical - The Treadmill Factory Canada - YouTube

Last edited:
Thanks W2r. I had used a seated elliptical machine for some rehab many years back , for a broken ankle, and I liked the machine quite a bit. It looked less high tech than the one you showed but acheived the same result. I normally dont like the standing elliptical trainers as I can never seem to get one that fits my stride and thus gives me some hip pain. The ones at the gym where I go dont have ones with stride adjustments. Used to like to row but after accident that didnt work at all for me. Its been a couple of years now so I think I might try that slowly once again. Used to swim also but causes too much neck pain and headaches due rolling my head. Will need to try something other than freestyle to see how that works. Just glad to be doing more. A little at a time is difficult for me cuz i was usually flat out when it came to exercising and sports.

Just do what you can, twolfy! Adjusting to what you body can do after an accident like that is probably going to involve some changes in your routine for a while, but you are doing wonderfully.

I was working out on the regular (standing) elliptical, but after fainting at the gym and hitting my head a couple of months ago I decided it might be smart to use the seated elliptical instead for a while.

I decided to take a day off today, because I have worked out for six days straight (well, strength on MWF but aerobic on all 6 days).

I painted the shutters of my house today, so at least I got some activity in. Hard to know if that is aerobic or strength, though. Maybe more like Yoga because of the awkward poses I had to maintain to reach the shutters. :D

Last edited:
Since November of last year, I'm eating healthier and cutting back calories. The weight is coming off, but a little too slowly for me, so I have started exercising. I've never been a big exercise buff, but I found this video and really enjoy it.

Indoor Walking Exercise - Full Length 30-Minute Power Walk (fat burning, walking workout) - YouTube

It's low impact which is what I need right now.

I've been having back pain (I'm a full figured gal) and exercise seems to make it worse. The pain goes away after a while, but I get tired of it non the less. Recently I bought a sports bra. I tried it today and no back pain! :)

Back
Top Bottom