What We’re Smoking (or Grilling, or Curing)!

Lots of chatter on meat loaf here: https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/ including recipes: https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301029&highlight=meat+loaf

Re ribs, I'd encourage you to try St. Louis cut spares They are a meatier and more consistent product. I don't do back ribs at home and as a KCBS judge don't see them in comps very often. Buy them trimmed or view one of hundreds of YouTube videos showing how to trim them from full spares.

Thanks! Spare ribs are on the agenda for later this month. I just have to find some good ones.

I’ve enjoyed doing the whole spare ribs, just pulling off the underside membrane. The lazy way - simple rub, nothing else - well maybe an occasional spritz with apple cider vinegar. They come out great with minimal fuss.

Our H‑E‑B Plus has an enormous meat section with a dizzying array of whole meats for the BBQ/smoker. I like their natural pork, although heritage pork is even tastier. Unfortunately H‑E‑B does not carry heritage pork, so I have to order it if I really it.

Last edited:
I'd like to try to smoke a meatloaf next. Has anyone here done one, and if so can you share a recipe that you felt was a success for a two pound meatloaf?

I've used this recipe and it turned out great!

Even dishwasher safe! After a brief scrub we lay them on top of the other items in the top rack. They come out great.

I’ve perfected the art of carefully laying out my chicken wings on two of the mats overlapping and gently sliding them onto the smoker grate from a large cutting board. My placement of the wings is based on my experience of where the hotter spots in my smoker are and so I place the larger wing pieces there. I’ve gotten it to where they are all done at the same time, no turning or moving around. Just carefully slide the mats back off. :D

Last edited:
I'm going to do that meatloaf on the egg next time we want one, looks and sounds excellent!

Yeah, quite a few American BBQ video guys are very large.

Interesting he specifies that he’s smoking Duroc ribs which is a heritage breed.

Last edited:
aja8888;2841353Has anyone here done one said:
We done one wrapped in a bacon weave... It was awful...
Grown adults fighting over food like that....

Anyone want to help me out this weekend:confused: LOL ... We are cooking for the Daughters Big Day, about 160 guests. BBQ Friday for the rehearsal, Taco/ Mexican bar after the wedding. Have 3 small smokers going all day Friday with 4 Boston Butts and Chicken, leftovers going to the Bar for Saturday.

All you ever wanted to know about beef ribs

Here's a great tutorial on beef ribs which is excellently done. It's worth 20 minutes of your time.:cool:

Here's a great tutorial on beef ribs which is excellently done. It's worth 20 minutes of your time.:cool:

Beef ribs….oh the joy. Quite simply my favorite cut of meat. When cooked well they are the definition of decadence.

Very nice look at the butchering!

I’ve tried the various beef ribs over the past couple of years as Costco seems to rotate through them.

My favorite are the chuck ribs in the smoker. These usually have a lot of meat on them. I really like the flavor of chuck roast in general, and having it smoked on the bone is just wonderful.

I have done plate ribs on the smoker. Costco recently started selling plate ribs cut up into smaller bone pieces, and I recently tried a braise in the instant pot for these and I like them that way.

Beef back ribs became available at Costco about a year ago, and even with a bit of meat still on the bone. Not bad, but the bone in prime rib is way better! :D

Last edited:

As I watched them cutting up the beef, I kept thinking one of them is going to lose an arm on the band saw blade. Just one stumble or sloppy move of the arm aaahhhhhhh....
Guess I'm sensitive as I notice I bang my hand/arm every now and then.

Yeah, that band saw is totally freaky!

I kept envisioning a certain Monty Python movie !!!

Last edited:
As I watched them cutting up the beef, I kept thinking one of them is going to lose an arm on the band saw blade. Just one stumble or sloppy move of the arm aaahhhhhhh....
Guess I'm sensitive as I notice I bang my hand/arm every now and then.

I guess if you do that work all day every day, you get good at it and one slip means a plastic arm going forward.:LOL:

Perfect fall weather in Texas for a spatchcock chicken. Did a quick dry brine (only an hour) followed by 20 hour buttermilk brine that included bourbon infused maple syrup, onion and garlic powder. I made my own buttermilk using whole milk and white vinegar. Seasoned with Malcom Reed’s The BBQ Rub, Lane’s Scorpion Rub and Salt Lick’s Dry Rub. Cooked indirect at 350° for about an hour. When I used the instant read probe, juice squirted out like from a squirt gun! Skin is nice a crisp. Just polished off a thigh and leg and they were delicious!

Attachments

• 8CCFA8F1-6B83-4FDD-B4E0-D9C051EC0CCB.jpeg
    8CCFA8F1-6B83-4FDD-B4E0-D9C051EC0CCB.jpeg
    512.2 KB · Views: 21
Back
Top Bottom