What you consider *superior* products (II)

This thing works quite well:

4kOYOtc.jpg

Instead of putting clock radios on our bedside tables, we put this on a nearby dresser. Its numbers are large enough for me to see, and the projection to the other side of the ceiling provides DW with a clock.

We don't use the alarm, of course, nor the radio.

Interesting. How bright is the projection at night?

I have been very pleased with the Nikon A900 camera.

I bought one for DW 8 months ago (for $350) and have seen the results so I just bought myself one (Sam's Club auction for $282).

It does 4K movies, and has a long optical zoom 35x plus a whole lot of other features. We don't want to carry around lots of camera gear on trips. So this is about as big as we would go.

You can also at B&H photo buy a 2 yr Nikon (not 3rd party) warranty extension to add 2 years onto it, and I got mine for $9.95. You need to do it a the same time as they have some dumb within 10 of camera purchase rule.

Qwaruba Moose hide slippers lined with sheepskin
After more than 11 years, finally replaced them this Christmas with a new pair. I wear them almost every day, a lot of the time outdoors. I've used them for everything from simply getting the mail to washing the car and working in the garden. I would have treated them better if I had realized how durable moose hide is over other hides. Finally wore a hole in the soles, (some sort of plastic/rubbery stuff) and they would let in water when walking on wet surfaces, but even then, it kept them another couple years and the moose hide never wore through the soles.

Last edited:
Hamilton Beach 12-Cup Coffee Maker, Programmable Brewstation Dispensing Coffee Machine, Summit Ultra (48465)

Bought this over 10 years ago and a little tab that makes the coffee come out when you hold the cup up there broke. I make at least one pot a day, so this is pretty amazing. Even more so is that the same model is still available is cheaper than I originally paid for it on Amazon. Under $50. They have a version without the stainless steel for $10 less for a real value.

71W46swBnZL._SL1500_.jpg

This thing works quite well:

4kOYOtc.jpg

Instead of putting clock radios on our bedside tables, we put this on a nearby dresser. Its numbers are large enough for me to see, and the projection to the other side of the ceiling provides DW with a clock.

We don't use the alarm, of course, nor the radio.

Nice! Where did you get this and how much was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Interesting. How bright is the projection at night?

It's closer to too-bright than it is to too-dim. If you turn on a night light, you can still see the projection, but turn on a regular light and it goes away.

>Nice! Where did you get this and how much was it?

There's a link to the Amazon page from which I got it. $30.

>Nice! Where did you get this and how much was it?

There's a link to the Amazon page from which I got it. $30.

Oops, sorry, I didn't see the link. Thanks!

These are my latest nifty purchases.

61A3TOYOrpL._SL1001_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X3ZM5BR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

51VoUGQ1fML._SX522_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/CHOETECH-Certified-Wireless-Anti-Slip-Qi-Enabled/dp/B00C40OG22

The first part plugs into my Andriod phone charging port and lays on the back of the phone... I put a small piece of scotch tape to keep it in place... then I put the phone in its case.

The second part is on my bedside stand and is plugged into the wall. At night I simply place my phone on the charging pad, a little blue light turns on to confirm it is connected and it charges while I sleep.

Works right through the case as long as the case is not metal. It gets a bit warm but not hot.

Slick as hell.

P.S. How can I control the size of the pictures.... make them smaller?

Last edited:
Aladdin mantle style kerosene lamps;

39767135821_9e717a3a5d_o.jpg

I mentioned this in another thread about "allergies" but I found the air purifier by IQAir Health Pro Plus works great. I tried some of the cheaper ($100 to $200) air filtering units and all's they did was to make everything dusty in the house. The IQAir purifier really works to "clear the air" :), although a little expensive (~$900)

Works right through the case as long as the case is not metal. It gets a bit warm but not hot.

Slick as hell.

Wireless charging is great! You might think "How lazy are we getting that we can't even plug in the cord?" but being able to just put the device on the charger is a game changer. Because it's so simple, the device will always be charged.

My Nexus 7 came with wireless charging. Here's the stand:

nXf9ixP.jpg

>How change picture sizes?
You'd need to download them, change them with a photo app, and upload to someplace like Imgur.com.

Last edited:
Superior Products - Part II

I looked for the original thread on "Superior Products" and found it closed. It's here: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/what-you-consider-superior-products-48612.html.

So, I am starting a new one to talk about what I just discovered: Leather Honey - Leather Conditioner.

I have some leather shoes that I want to preserve. Some I keep out on a shelf in the garage, and the dry heat causes the leather to harden. If the shoes were worn in that condition, the dry and brittle leather would crack and the shoes would be ruined.

I searched on the Web and found the aforementioned leather conditioner. Reviewers rave about it, so I thought I would give it a shot. I am happy to report that I was able to recondition 5 pairs that were dried out. The leather is now soft and flexible. The stuff is thick as molasses, yet it soaks into the leather and is gone in an hour after application. One pair of shoes was so dry, it took 3 applications.

So, I went gunho and did the better and newer dress shoes in my closet. The stuff is expensive at $18 for an 8 oz bottle, but still cheap for rescuing many shoes costing a lot more. After 9 pairs, I still have more than 1/2 bottle left.

I think it is also good for other leather goods such as women's purses, although it might darken lighter shades of leather or turn it blotchy. It is also not for suede.

PS. There are other similar products on the market that are cheaper. If you have good experience with them, please share. I do not mind using this top-rated Leather Honey on shoes, but to use it on car leather seats or leather furniture will cost a pretty penny.

Last edited:
The OP of the 2nd thread was tmm99, who was also the OP of the 1st thread.

I missed that 2nd thread. Will ask a mod to merge this one. Thx.

MOD EDIT -- done

Last edited by a moderator:
Kubota Tractors...
I bought a B7100 in 1993 and sold it last year. I never had a single thing go wrong with it except a few battery changes over the years. One data point, but it sure was bullet proof.

I bought a B7100 in 1993 and sold it last year. I never had a single thing go wrong with it except a few battery changes over the years. One data point, but it sure was bullet proof.
Well if you don't use it, nothing goes wrong & batteries die. :D

I've had very good luck with the following:

• Thorlo Light Hiking socks (more of a medium weight IMHO). What is great about these socks is that Thorlo hasn't changed them in years so you can replace them (not that they wear very quickly). Try that with most products these days :(
  • Merrell shoes - fit me well and last a very long time
  • iPad Air (first gen) - has been rock solid
  • Garmin Forerunner 305 - outdated now, but easily the most use I've gotten from a < $150 tech purchase
  • Seiko wristwatch - Over 20 years old, I wear it almost everyday, and all it's ever needed is a new battery once in a while
  • Rick Steve's travel guides. Really enjoy his walking tours and free audio app
  • La Fin du Monde - For best results, pour into a chalice before drinking

Darn-Tough Socks. Lifetime guarantee! Expensive, but I will never need to buy socks again.

I've had them two years so far, and they are still fine. All the others wore out in the heels after a year.

Back
Top Bottom