What you consider *superior* products

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a forum supposedly frequented by LBYM'ers, we sure have a lot of people with refined tastes here.

I cannot add much to the already long list as I have pedestrian tastes myself. But if there is one thing that I am picky about, it's French brandy. Note that I do not say Cognac, as I have found that even the French brandy that is not made within the town of Cognac, hence is not allowed to bear the name, is much suitable to my taste buds than American brandy. Yes, siree. I have tried an American brandy once, many many years ago, and never again. Even the lowest priced bottle of French brandy goes down smooooth, even if it is not Cognac.

Heck, I am logging off now to go pour myself a double shot. I cannot stand it any longer.

Really? I never figured this forum to be lbym so much. I always thought of most of these fine folks as frugal but within their tastes. I enjoy jerky about 6 times a year. Plus fine tequila the amount per year I will not put down... ;)

Now a double shot.....think Ill head that way tooo :hic:

Vitamin E cream from the Body Shop.....the nicest face moisturizer I know. No grease or gooping up.

Pureology shampoo & conditioner. Recommended by my hairdresser. Expensive but a little goes a long way. the 1L bottle lasts me over a year.

Tabi comfort socks. 80% Cotton/ 17% Nylon/ 5% Spandex. Non-elastic top for comfort. One size. $6.

Aquascutum rain jacket purchased in London, England, 1975. 35 years later it is still both respectable and waterproof, and there has never been a loose button or thread! I think it cost ~75 pounds sterling.

Toshiba Tecra laptop, 2003. Has all the bells & whistles. Hard drive crashed one week before the warranty exprired and was replaced by Toshiba with a much larger one at no cost to me. I'm using it now and have no plans to replace it. It's travelled with me all over the world.

1995 Honda Accord EX. My baby! Only two things have ever gone wrong: (1) someone glided into me on a street that had become so icy it could have hosted speed skating at the Winter Olympics; (2) In the dead of winter, the car was plugged in on a timer (which shorted out) and the garage almost burnt down. This car is a Survivor!

For a forum supposedly frequented by LBYM'ers, we sure have a lot of people with refined tastes here.

Living in a low COL area allows us to have very low fixed costs (we don't have 2 homes and don't dream of RVs! ;)) which means we can enjoy a few luxuries and still live well below our means...

I am looking into this theory that a modest RV can be a LBYM means of travel. And it can also become your dwelling of last resort, when all else fails.

So, it certainly can fit well with a frugal lifestyle, as long as one does not go overboard. I suggest you check it out too. ;)

I cannot add much to the already long list as I have pedestrian tastes myself. But if there is one thing that I am picky about, it's French brandy. Note that I do not say Cognac, as I have found that even the French brandy that is not made within the town of Cognac, hence is not allowed to bear the name, is much suitable to my taste buds than American brandy. Yes, siree. I have tried an American brandy once, many many years ago, and never again. Even the lowest priced bottle of French brandy goes down smooooth, even if it is not Cognac.

Heck, I am logging off now to go pour myself a double shot. I cannot stand it any longer.

Well, most of the things people have mentioned really have a low cost per use vs. a less expensive item that would break or wear out sooner, so they really are lbyming it with them. Now something that gets used up, like, oh, maybe, pricey amber-colored alcoholic French beverages:LOL:

But that's my only indulgence! Even monks in monasteries are allowed to drink.

And I have found that my taste buds have gotten dull, so that the inexpensive French brandy which shall remain nameless is just as good to me now as the Cognac XO's my wife has brought home from duty-free shops.

By the way, my two brothers are also Cognac drinkers. During the 2000 tech mania and we all felt rich, once after dinner and testing our taste buds to see if we could tell the difference between VSOP and XO grades, they joked that a sign that a guy had it made was if he could afford XO Cognac as mouth wash. :ROFLMAO:

Pendleton wool shirts.

heh heh heh - now that I'm back in cold country. :cool:

*DHC Cleansing Oil to clean your face. Will not make your face break-out at all and realllly deep cleans.
*Moroccanoil to put in your wet hair and make it silky. You will love it..

Where do you get these?

Oh, I'm going to add Denby stoneware. We've used our set daily for eight years and it still looks GREAT. Not cheap, but beautiful and durable and classic. We love it.

For us it is our Toyota Camry (recall included) - still a superior product over most cars in its league...
Our Dyson vacuum is also a winner...
My thermarest pad for sleeping on the ground when camping...
Nikon binoculars...
Asics Tennis Shoes...
and of course my cast iron skillet...

We've been hacking along for a few years with a low-end countertop convection/microwave oven, and we're about to upgrade to a GE Profile under-cabinet model. We'll probably even pay full retail, although we're waiting for a sale.
That's the brand and model I've chosen for the new house - one that fits above the stove and under the stove exhaust vent. It will be interesting to compare notes....

Audrey

Binoculars - how about Swarovski binoculars! After I dropped my my Nikon binoculars on the metal deck of an Alaskan cruise boat and they dented slightly breaking the nitrogen seal, I decided that I used my binoculars so very much that I should just go ahead and get the best optics I could afford.

Cost about $1300 back in 2002. Now, due to the appreciated Euro, they run $1700+. My husband who has big hands liked the hand-grip and balance so much on my new binoculars he sold his Leicas on ebay and got himself a pair.

We have both enjoyed our binoculars tremendously.

BTW - Nikon fixed my binoculars for free even though I dropped them. So did Swarovski when my friend ran over his binoculars with his car!

Audrey

Mesa Boogie Trem-O-Verb Guitar Amp
Gibson Les-Paul Guitar
Newmar Dutch Aire Motorhome
All Clad Cookware
Sony XBR TV
B&W 802 Stereo speakers
Lexus RX350

All great products

Superior products:

My John Deere lawn mower (with some electronic lubrication feature) which cost me around $700 around 10 years ago and which is still kicking, after going through 3 Sears Craftsman mowers for around $300 each on my messed up lawn.

My Weber Grills, both charcoal and propane ones. Have had one charchoal and one propane for over 20 years.

My Stihl chainsaw, taken a lot of abuse, but I must have cut 100 plus chords of wood with this saw, and still good after 20 years.

Creamy buttery Brie cheese from Wegman's.

Caribou Hot Chocolate.

Jansport back packs; kids always used them and beat them up badly and Jansport always repaired them or sent us new ones!

2002 Ford F150
Bose radio
Keurig single-cup coffee maker (love, love)
All-Clad and LeCreuset cookware
QVC's "Northern Nights" 400 threadcount sheets
Costco's Kirkland brand products

I own a Dyson vac but in no way is it "superior."

For me, the ultimate superior product would be ...

Wife 1.0!

Low maintenance, reliable, and dependable.

Sure got quirks, but I already know how to work around them. :D

Yes I've enjoyed my All-Clad cookware for many, many years, and that is what I carry in my motorhome.

We just got some Le Crueset pans a year ago because DH decided he didn't want any non-stick cookware. They've been pretty nice. I look forward to getting some braising pots when we move into the new house.

I've enjoyed my Weber Baby-Q so much while RVing that I am definitely getting the Weber E-320 for the house.

Audrey

For me, the ultimate superior product would be ...

Wife 1.0!

:D

I dunno. Is it fair to include one-off products, that nobody else can try??

Amethyst

I am looking into this theory that a modest RV can be a LBYM means of travel. And it can also become your dwelling of last resort, when all else fails.

So, it certainly can fit well with a frugal lifestyle, as long as one does not go overboard. I suggest you check it out too. ;)

"Harlan is originally from around Muskogee, Okla., and used to work in construction in Oklahoma and Texas. He did OK, but his luck turned bad when he bought a big motor home hoping to move around the country. "But it broke down," he said, "I got it fixed and it broke down some more. I had to sell it for $500."
He said he bought an old pickup truck, but it broke down, too. "Every mechanic in the world took advantage of him," said his brother, Kent".

Their dog food is also considerably better from a nutritional standpoint than many "premium" dog foods at twice the cost per pound.

Agree. Pooch gets the chicken, vegetable and rice formula.

LL Bean raincoat

Last year I got an LL Bean raincoat that is full-length. It is from their "h2off" line - and it is just great! It was originally a $200 coat, but I got it off a sale rack at Tyson's Corner, added in a coupon and paid about $80. It is very pretty (blue), it keeps me dry (always a plus in a raincoat :ROFLMAO:) , and it BREATHES, so it is not stifling like some rain coats can be. If I'd known how much I was going to like it, I would have purchased it earlier even at full price - it's that nice.

Charlotte

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom