What'd you major in?

Goonie said:
But seriously, now that I have gotten older and am about to RE (5 months to go), I am looking at going back to school ( mostly just for the fun of it) to get a degree in something possibly related to finance.
After a lifetime of educating yourself, why would anyone feel obligated to go back to school?

I didn't ER to do homework and study for tests-- especially not if my family wants to do something else or if the surf's up...

Nords said:
After a lifetime of educating yourself, why would anyone feel obligated to go back to school?

I didn't ER to do homework and study for tests-- especially not if my family wants to do something else or if the surf's up...

I wouldn't feel obligated.....it would just be something to do for fun! In my current (soon to be former ;) ) profession, I've continually had to study, research, and take tests, and it's never been that much of a challenge....I'm just one of those sicko-types that likes to continually be learning new stuff. Guess I got that from my Folks and GrandFolks!!! My Bro went back to college at about age 53 to get a degree in mechanical engineering, because he always enjoyed taht sort of thing.

My Grandad ( who had a 6th grade education ) studied and read and took classes in all sorts of things his entire adult life. He could sit and have an intelligent conversation on ANY subject, with anyone. I still have some of his old text books from when he audited some class in dentistry!!! At age 73, after his second wife had passed away, he said he needed some "brain stimulation" and enrolled in welding classes at the local community college. His college instructor had learned to weld from a teacher that my Grandad had taught to weld years before!!! Gramps learned some new stuff to keep the gray-matter happy, and he taught the class some old tricks!

To me learning is fun....but that's just my opinion!!! ::)

BS Finance
BS Accounting (Because I wanted to stay in school to be with my girlfriend (now wife)
CPA
CFA
CIPM (Soon I hope)

FinanceDude said:
"Stay away from teachers, engineers, doctors, and lawyers as clients for your first 5 years. They don't like brokers, will second guess everything you do, and they think they know everything"

MB in Europe (straight out of school, no chance to party)
MD based on research
MBA in midcareer because I got interested in healthcare management
Got hooked on finance.....
Canadian Securities Course just for fun
Discovered I really enjoyed the Dismal Science, which isn't dismal at all....
Plans for next life: become financial guru!

Hey Goon, I don't know about you but I'm getting smarter just hanging around here.

I must have more than a HS education after reading this forum for 2 1/2 years.

BA English/MA English. I know, why repeat myself? At the time I wanted to be a college teacher but it took around 11 years to get there. In the meantime I worked as an editor & mom extraordinaire. When people imply that liberal arts degrees are not marketable, I always laugh, usually privately, since everyone I know was a liberal arts major at one point and they went on to law school, MBA school, medical school, and big business. These days it doesn't matter what you major in, it's what you do with your skills and smarts that take you places.

BS Nursing
married an engineer (lots of nurse/engineer pairings at my university)

spent most of my working life in inpatient psychiatry. Probably the easiest career for a woman to work around her family. And you can always get a job.

shorttimer said:
BS Nursing
married an engineer (lots of nurse/engineer pairings at my university)

spent most of my working life in inpatient psychiatry. Probably the easiest career for a woman to work around her family. And you can always get a job.

and it's particuarly useful if you marry an engineer. :D

HFWR said:
Anyone notice the OP ended a sentence with a preposition... :p
If done with finesse, there's nothing wrong with that. (Perhaps I need one of those professional disclaimers ;))

astromeria said:
If done with finesse, there's nothing wrong with that. (Perhaps I need one of those professional disclaimers ;))

I think it was Winston Churchill who shot back at an editor who changed one of his sentences ending with a preposition: "This is the kind of impertinence up with which I shall not put."

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Hey -- you tawkin ta me?

If so, I think you're just jealous that my preposition dangles more than yours.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

You're way funnier than my doctor........need any new patients??

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom